Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Has there been any confirmation from RTÉ yet about season 4?
    I know its pretty much a given that it'll be back, considering its the first show that RTÉ have ever had success with and that we can actually be proud to sell it internationally, but I'll feel much better when we get the official word of its renewal...
    Was chatting to Peter Coonan (Frano) today actually, but forgot to ask him if they had any official word on season 4...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

I reckon Nidge is going to pack hes bags and do a legger with hes missus and kid!

Theres a very good article in the christmas edition of Hot press about Love/Hate.

Interestingly, it says the writer is keen to focus more on what happens inside a prison in a future series. So perhaps we wil see one of the main characters getting a long jail sentence.

Thats interesting because i was thinking maybe Dazzler will get sent down for the double murder instead of getting killed. Its another aspect to gangland.

Was thinking earlier maybe Tony (Sean McGinley) wants to bide his time because he seen the rift between Darren and Nidge in the Napper so he'll use it to his advantage.
    Of course big thicko Dano will end up being cut off from the RA because of his eagerness to rush in guns blazing (literally)
    That will make him an easy target for Nidge and the boys.

Funny Tombo mentions about the characters having quiet roles. Georgina was quiet and we havent seen Elmo. I can remember the last episode of series 1 we only seen Stumpy getting an almighty beating from Darren at the beginning of the episode. We had him totally forgotten about and then BAM! Right at the very end he shoots Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

I know its pretty much a given that it'll be back, considering its the first show that RTÉ have ever had success with and that we can actually be proud to sell it internationally, but I'll feel much better when we get the official word of its renewal...
    Was chatting to Peter Coonan (Frano) today actually, but forgot to ask him if they had any official word on season 4...

Yes it had been confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

No way. Tommy is (was) the eye-candy in this, much better-looking than Darren. Hope Tommy's face makes it to the next series

Tommy is very attractive but Darren is divine! Most other women I know who watch the show agree Darren is gorgeous.
    Godot. wrote: »
    Is Tommy really a hunk? A Frankenstein-come-knacker haircut and one tone of voice. :confused:

Yeah his hair isn't doing him justice but you can see he has a lovely face.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭meath12

i wouldnt be surprised if its fran who gets killed, i say elmo will play a big part in it next week. i can see him getting darren in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Who plays the one that was eating the face off Debbie last night?

Do you know Peter Coonan well or just a chance meeting? Would be great if Boards could set up a Q & A with some of the stars like they did with Katie Taylor etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Do you know Peter Coonan well or just a chance meeting? Would be great if Boards could set up a Q & A with some of the stars like they did with Katie Taylor etc.

It was a chance meeting, but he was a couple of years ahead of me in school, so I knew him back in the day...

As for setting up Q&A's, it's not hard getting stuff like that set up - used to write for the newspaper in college and used to get interviews with the likes of Seth Rogen... It's easier to set these things up than one would imagine...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

KKkitty wrote: »

Not sure. Think she was in Adam and Paul also. I've definitely seen/heard her in something else.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It was a chance meeting, but he was a couple of years ahead of me in school, so I knew him back in the day...

As for setting up Q&A's, it's not hard getting stuff like that set up - used to write for the newspaper in college and used to get interviews with the likes of Seth Rogen... It's easier to set these things up than one would imagine...
    Lawrence kinlan and killian scott seem fairly approachable on twitter, i'd say one just has to ask, loads of fake accounts for the other guys that are a good laugh, but not real.

el diablo wrote: »

Not sure. Think she was in Adam and Paul also. I've definitely seen/heard her in something else.
    Same here. Can't put a name to the face at all.

Lawrence kinlan and killian scott seem fairly approachable on twitter, i'd say one just has to ask, loads of fake accounts for the other guys that are a good laugh, but not real.

I was thinking a long the lines of similar to below with Katie Taylor and i remember one with David McSavage also

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056222399&page=3

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Steel Dog

el diablo wrote: »
    Same here. Can't put a name to the face at all.
    I think she is the one that was in the Chill Insurance add with Peter Coonan (Fran)

Steel Dog wrote: »

I think she is the one that was in the Chill Insurance add with Peter Coonan (Fran)
    Googled both Love/Hate and Adam and Paul and her name is Mary Murray.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

what a show. watched the whole lot over the weekend.
    darren is some fcuking scumbag.
    the nidg weasel too. absolute lowlifes, still love the nidg weasel but he is the scum.
    darren is worse though, making out like he's some innocent, he's gatted more people in the show than anybody else.

on that note, anyone know why in last night's episode darren called nidg ''the nidg weasel'' on the phone, and nidgey goes ''it's weird that you've called me that today of all days'' ?

come ere I was looking to buy the dvds of them cant find then anywhere on line anyone seen em?

the nidg weasel. best thing to come out of rte ever. fact.

ps: was it aidan gillen's decision to leave or was he booted? i figured it clashed with his GOT schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Cora Mahoney

Godot. wrote: »
    Is Tommy really a hunk? A Frankenstein-come-knacker haircut and one tone of voice. :confused:

lol, I have never seen the appeal nor understood the attraction so many women have for him. The only good looking man on there (for me) is Darren, and that's only his face, he'd needs a good feed (or 10) to get my fire burnin ;)

Having said that though, I love the character 'Tommy' and wish he and Debbie could have made things work somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Miprocin

come ere I was looking to buy the dvds of them cant find then anywhere on line anyone seen em?

RTE have them for sale here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

what a show. watched the whole lot over the weekend.
    darren is some fcuking scumbag.
    the nidg weasel too. absolute lowlifes, still love the nidg weasel but he is the scum.
    darren is worse though, making out like he's some innocent, he's gatted more people in the show than anybody else.

on that note, anyone know why in last night's episode darren called nidg ''the nidg weasel'' on the phone, and nidgey goes ''it's weird that you've called me that today of all days'' ?

the nidg weasel. best thing to come out of rte ever. fact.

ps: was it aidan gillen's decision to leave or was he booted? i figured it clashed with his GOT schedule.

Nidge was creeped out by out because it's what John Boy used to call him sometimes, i think. After being sent the John Boy memorial thingy that morning, Darren calling him that was a bit of a coincidence. Although Darren did call him that in the previous episode too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Miprocin wrote: »
    RTE have them for sale here.

I got them in my local xtra vision last week €7 for S1 and €9 for S2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭thiarfearr

Wonder is Darren still doing several drugs, would explain why the few grand nidge gives him seems to go so quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭InchicoreDude

Thats interesting because i was thinking maybe Dazzler will get sent down for the double murder instead of getting killed. Its another aspect to gangland.

yeah, he also mentioned he would like to look at things for a garda viewpoint as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

thiarfearr wrote: »
    Wonder is Darren still doing several drugs, would explain why the few grand nidge gives him seems to go so quick

Apart from the odd recreational snort of coke or the popping of a pill, drugs are not a factor in Darrens daily life, so spending the money on drugs is not what he is doing. Whatever way you look at it, it's just another badly written, unresolved part of the script.
    It's another inconsistency in the whole project, anybody joining at the start of this, the 3rd series would have no idea how these guys survive. There is little reference, if any at all, to the fact that Darren is a drug taker. The way they make money(drugs) never impinges on their daily lives in the way that it should and would. Nidge is never under pressure from the supposed way he makes his living, which would be a constant cat and mouse game with the gardai and supplying sellers and getting money in. We are never aware of him running all of this and I think it would have added to the series not taken away from it.
    I think that in Darren's case it is the fact that he can't be made likable or sexy if he is a regular drug taker, the writers have made a concious decision to shy away from that aspect of him, because regular drugtaking and being constantly broke because you are feeding a habit (addiction) doesn't sit well with the way they want you to feel about the character. They are very clear however about how they want you to feel about the girl in the brothel though.

If these guys are heavy drug users we should see the impact of that on their lives and their decisions. We don't because style wins over content and it is that moral ambivilence in the telling of this story that I find interesting and worthy of discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

My predictions for the season finale are;-

Danno and Paddy take out Fran; Nidge goes into hiding

Mrs Danno takes out Danno, saving McGinley the bother

Debbie and Tommy RIP. After a failed hit attempt by Elmo, Darren and Siobhan renounce the lifestyle and skip town (to return in series 4?)

Nidge and McGinley make the peace – get back to business

Final shots – the camera pans across Fran’s farm where Git (and now Fran) lie undiscovered high above the city on a frosty morning as day breaks over the Dublin Mountains. The war is over and the ordinary citizens are going about their business same as usual. Atmospheric mood music plays...........

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭A.Partridge

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    My predictions for the season finale are;-

Danno and Paddy take out Fran; Nidge goes into hiding

Mrs Danno takes out Danno, saving McGinley the bother

Debbie and Tommy RIP. After a failed hit attempt by Elmo, Darren and Siobhan renounce the lifestyle and skip town (to return in series 4?)

Nidge and McGinley make the peace – get back to business

Final shots – the camera pans across Fran’s farm where Git (and now Fran) lie undiscovered high above the city on a frosty morning as day breaks over the Dublin Mountains. The war is over and the ordinary citizens are going about their business same as usual. Atmospheric mood music plays...........

That's how I see it too.

I wonder if Lizzie Skanger RA Bird will also try to have a pop at Darren when she hears he has been 'comforting' Siobhan?

Happyman42 wrote: »
    . The way they make money(drugs) never impinges on their daily lives in the way that it should and would. Nidge is never under pressure from the supposed way he makes his living, which would be a constant cat and mouse game with the gardai and supplying sellers and getting money in. We are never aware of him running all of this and I think it would have added to the series not taken away from it.

You need to pay more attention. Aido manages the street dealers and is seen counting cash in his flat.

Motorcycle couriers are seen delivering bags of cash to Nidge's house.

Tommy is the bag man for the knocking shop which is the other main revenue stream.

As for them being under pressure - the fallout from Gits death is the most pressing issue at the moment. The drug business is their bread and butter - it was runing soothly before recent events.

Not sure how you cater for people comming in half way through a show in terms of back story reminders - if there were constant references to shipments comming in etc I have a feeling you would be criticising the writers for being obvious.

That's how I see it too.

I wonder if Lizzie Skanger RA Bird will also try to have a pop at Darren when she hears he has been 'comforting' Siobhan?

Nah - she will be happy to see him getting out in one piece.

She knows he is out of her league but still wants him safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I will be shocked if they kill off Fran, hes a brilliant supporting character who could have a big role to play in the fourth series if he finds out Nidge was shagging his missus Linda.

I have a feeling it will be Darren, I think personally hes going the same as Aiden Gillen in that hes probably got a lot in his schedule coming up and might not have the time available to do another series, he could always do a legger with Lizzie though.

Your right about Danno though, I reckon he could be done in by Mad Bitch!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Whatever way you look at it, it's just another badly written, unresolved part of the script.
    If they had resolved everything already it would make next weeks episode a bit dull :)

It has been hinted that he's desperate for money because he wants to leg it to England, but I'm sure we'll find out in due course.
    The way they make money(drugs) never impinges on their daily lives in the way that it should and would. Nidge is never under pressure from the supposed way he makes his living, which would be a constant cat and mouse game with the gardai and supplying sellers and getting money in. We are never aware of him running all of this and I think it would have added to the series not taken away from it.
    Nidge's house has been raided several times, he has been arrested more than once. He was pulled over a number of times. We have seen him collecting drugs and arms shipments from boats and from storage. We have seen him involved in smuggling and stockpiling large quantities of cash. We have seen him interacting with various miscellaneous scumbags who seem to be involved in the distribution network.
    If these guys are heavy drug users we should see the impact of that on their lives and their decisions.
    We saw John Boy grow increasingly paranoid and panicked. We saw Nidge crash his car, beat Tommy to a pulp, and now he's growing more paranoid as well. Darren turned up in a RA bar off his head. Dano's marriage is in bits and he has serious anger issues. Aido got kneecapped, and his budgie was killed :(. Siobhan passed out and was raped. I don't even know where to begin with Debbie. I could go on and on. In short all of the characters are seriously affected by drugs/alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Whats to suggest that Darren is spending his money. He needs a large sum to get away and restart his life, saying to Nidge that he's grand for cash won't get him his €17 grand!

I don't think they will kill off Fran, he's the writers main device for adding lightheart humour to the show and the viewers favourite. Tommy, Dano and Darren are probably much more expendable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement