Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

wow sierra wrote: »

Lads - can we have two threads on this.

One for Love Hate fans who want to discuss it on an average, down to earth, man/woman of the street level. Those of us who want to chat about the characters, wonder what might happen next, admire how similar it is to real life, enjoy it as the excellent entertainment it is etc etc. And of course comment on the odd minor flaw we don't like.

And one for the self important, sad, obsessed people. Those who want to discect every word, phrase, accent, scene, eyebrow movement etc etc etc to the nth degree as if they are doing a College thesis on it.

Fine HappyMan and others - if that's what ye want. But please stop ****ing up this thread for the rest of us.
    Even if you set up the two threads, he'll come back commenting on this thread, so the best thing you can do is to add him to your ignore list. Don't feed the trolls.

But more seriously, here's an important cause worthy of all our support;

http://www.facebook.com/RipAidosBudgie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,921 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

wow sierra wrote: »
    lads - and I say lads cos we ladies don't get hung up on this geeky crap:(

Lads - can we have two threads on this.

One for Love Hate fans who want to discuss it on an average, down to earth, man/woman of the street level. Those of us who want to chat about the characters, wonder what might happen next, admire how similar it is to real life, enjoy it as the excellent entertainment it is etc etc. And of course comment on the odd minor flaw we don't like.

And one for the self important, sad, obsessed people. Those who want to discect every word, phrase, accent, scene, eyebrow movement etc etc etc to the nth degree as if they are doing a College thesis on it.

Fine HappyMan and others - if that's what ye want. But please stop ****ing up this thread for the rest of us.

And by the way - even at a College thesis level I reckon most of Happyman says doesn't hold up - but I will save my comments for the new thread I hope he sets up.

You'd want to tread carefully here, I got myself an infraction yesterday for making similar points:pac: This thread is already ruined so making one just for fans would be the easist thing but there's only one episode left so there's not much point.
    RainyDay wrote: »
    Even if you set up the two threads, he'll come back commenting on this thread, so the best thing you can do is to add him to your ignore list. Don't feed the trolls.

Only thing is that you can still see that he's posted on the thread and you know he's making the same points which is still infuriating:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭thiarfearr

I think its ridiculous that the old thread, which ran for over 2 series and the start of series 3, over 2 years, was closed. The mods should have moderated the thread properly instead of just closing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

thiarfearr wrote: »
    I think its ridiculous that the old thread, which ran for over 2 series and the start of series 3, over 2 years, was closed. The mods should have moderated the thread properly instead of just closing it.

It's a fine line, you can't win moderating a thread with polarising views. Whatever you do you're wrong.

A better course of action, to avoid backseat moderating it's just one I follow myself, is to avoid interactions that may get me bogged down in the mire.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This thread has gone down the exact same route as the last one (i.e. Happyman42 vs. the world), so there is no point in keeping them separated any more. L/H threads merged.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,921 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

If ya look back at the first pages everyone was so cynical about Love/Hate and RTE and now the same people are probably glued to the screen every Sunday that it's on:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Mac-Chops

Happy days!

I enjoy this show for what it is, not what it is not.

Looking forward to Sunday and seeing how it's all gonna go down!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

leggo wrote: »
    I dunno the exact terms of their agreement with IMRO is tbh (I know the BBC can use a lot of licenced music at no cost but dunno about RTÉ) but that's what it was, trust me. Like I said, it was widely noticed on the night.

Not doubting you that it was the knock off.

As it stands RTE can actually use more than the BBC (or at least they do it whether they're allowed to or not).

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

I can't believe this thread has been made an arsé of again, unbelievable. I was happily catching up on the posts from Sunday with 10 pages to go and bang same shít as a couple of weeks ago with pedantic crap ruining it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

fruvai wrote: »
    Negative posts on an internet forum are ruining a show for you? :pac:

Hey, this is the internet, it's a serious business :cool:

• Advertisement

leggo wrote: »
    Cover bands do their version of certain songs, generally for shops who can't afford the actual versions. They used a knock-off there, 100%, I'm a DJ and have heard that song so much that I've grown to hate it...so I spotted it straight away. It was also joked about a lot on Twitter that night IIRC. It's little things like that that show the show up for lack of budget. And when there are a million other generic dance tracks that they could've been used instead at the same cost, then it just shows a lapse in standards on their part.

The Fair City comparisons are so easy to make. If I was them, I'd do whatever I could to avoid them, because that's exactly why people have grown to admire the show.

Well to be fair i think they used 'Moves like Jagger' albeit a cheaper version because i suppose it was an apt song to have on while Fran was strutting his stuff on the dance floor :D

Jesus, you'd give your left ball for the days when the trolls on here would actually be funny. For fuck sake Happy Man would you ever toss off with your bullshit opinions. Seriously you're ruining the show for the rest of us you cunt

Look attack the post and not the poster. No need to resort to that sort of stuff. I dont agree with Happyman trying to drag the thread in the direction he is trying to but he doesnt deserve to be given derogatory abuse in fairness. Uncalled for. We're all human beings first and boardsies second.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    It's enjoyable but it's not that good.

Absolutely agree. For me, the Wire, taken across all of its storylines presented over a (was it 4 or ) 5 year period was the best / most enjoyable TV I have seen in my 56 years. Indeed, (another thread on Boards deals with this) I, along with many others have watched all of the Wire from end to end numerous (at this stage, I think it 4, possibly 5) times. Every time I revisit it, I see something else that I didn't see before, such is the quality, depth and breath of its storylines and their presentation.

And don't forget our own John Boy played a barnstormer part in Wire, as did Dominic West ( an honorary if not a real Irishman).

All that said, L/H is hugely entertaining, addictive, controversial, successful, cringe-making, heart-breaking, annoying and generally a feckin brilliant way to while away less than an hour once a week. And its coming out of a small workshop at a cost per screen hour that would probably not buy 3 minutes of production of The Wire.

Great show with great efforts by writers, actors, production teams, but most particularly by Dazzler's hoody that has definitely earned an IFTA award as the stand-alone (and it will coz its so impregnated with all of Dazzler's bodily fluids from having lived in it for 3 weeks now) best blues performance of the whole season.

Look attack the post and not the poster. No need to resort to that sort of stuff. I dont agree with Happyman trying to drag the thread in the direction he is trying to but he doesnt deserve to be given derogatory abuse in fairness. Uncalled for. We're all human beings first and boardsies second.

+1. Well said Tipp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

People on the Internet in differing opinions shocker!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Well to be fair i think they used 'Moves like Jagger' albeit a cheaper version because i suppose it was an apt song to have on while Fran was strutting his stuff on the dance floor :D

Yeah true actually. And, to be fair, for all the slack I might give that scene, it's given us the quote of the series: "Are ya a ladybird or a durtbuuuurd??" :D

RainyDay wrote: »
    But more seriously, here's an important cause worthy of all our support;

http://www.facebook.com/RipAidosBudgie

That FB page was brilliant. Fair play!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I've said before that RTÉ pay a fee to Universal Ireland to use their songs in their programming.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

I think one thing that contributes to the enjoyment of this programme is that it's in 3 parts every week which means just 2 ads have to be endured.

It's a small thing but important nonetheless.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,015 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Whats happened to JohnBoys money (or was it account numbers) that Nidge took from the roof garden of the apartment in S2E6?
    Nidge seems to be playing the poverty card at the moment and I'm not sure whether its a plot device or he's suddenly a miser.

Should Darren not be handing himself in to the police and doing his 24 hours in the interview suite? Everyone else got released inc the co-killer girl, so clearly there is no actual evidence against him?

Another great episode - Fran and Avatar girl possibly the funniest moment of television this year.
    if johnboy had say €1m, that's only one or two shipments of coke. Darren was snitched on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

M.Fassbender as a foreign hitman in this series would be excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

I've said before that RTÉ pay a fee to Universal Ireland to use their songs in their programming.

RTÉ have blanket agreements with IMRO,PPI etc that cover the use of all muisc on shows they produce or are produced with majority funding from RTÉ for the RTÉ brodcast of that programme. These blankets will not cover material when the shows are sold to other Networks or indeed on DVD /Netflix/Hula etc and the producer must clear the soundtrack. It is often best to clear the muisc fully in the first instance as it gets costly to try and do it after the fact gets costly and sometimes impossible. What happens then is they have to re-dub the music which can also be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

leonidas83 wrote: »
    M.Fassbender as a foreign hitman in this series would be excellent

He'd have been good as Danno. Make the woman beating scenes more believable.

TheBlock wrote: »
    RTÉ have blanket agreements with IMRO,PPI etc that cover the use of all muisc on shows they produce or are produced with majority funding from RTÉ for the RTÉ brodcast of that programme. These blankets will not cover material when the shows are sold to other Networks or indeed on DVD /Netflix/Hula etc and the producer must clear the soundtrack. It is often best to clear the muisc fully in the first instance as it gets costly to try and do it after the fact gets costly and sometimes impossible. What happens then is they have to re-dub the music which can also be expensive.

A lot of productions which think they have a good chance of releasing a DVD or selling to foreign markets may have alternate mixes already in place to cover the bigger songs that they know they won't be able to afford the rights to.

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    He'd have been good as Danno. Make the woman beating scenes more believable.

I think Jason Barry is a fine actor doing a great job as Dano tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Dano has zero depth, he could be played by a painted plank tbh. :rolleyes:

I think you missed the Fassbender domestic violence gag he was going for there. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,012 ✭✭✭Hitchens

what is the link between L/H and FC? :)

Hitchens wrote: »
    what is the link between L/H and FC? :)

What's FC?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,335 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    What's FC?
    Exactly what I was about to ask :confused:

This discussion has been closed.