Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Stuart on now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

So he is writing series 4 but is not fully commissioned yet
    I

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Sounded like Stuart Carolan had been at the Zimmos himself at times during that interview. Lots of ems, ehs, a distracted air and he kept losing his train of thought in mid sentance.

IMO he was trying that little bit too hard to play up to his status as the hotest creative talent on the scene right now.

It was an interesting piece all the same. The gist of one text was that the show appeals to the middle classes watching on their plasma screens from the safety of their suburban sitting rooms (like the writer himself maybe?) more so than people living in deprived areas where gang rule is reality. That was a good point.

Having said all that, I am a big fan, just to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    IMO he was trying that little bit too hard to play up to his status as the hotest creative talent on the scene right now.

The story arc is very predictable. It's like that old saying that if a character catches a cold in Act 1 then they'll die of pneumonia in Act 3.

The following events are bound to happen in the last episode of the current series:

- the junkie prostitute will OD and die, probably in a gutter or some other dramatic dive

- Nidge will be shot, but not killed and left in intensive care and this will be the main cliff-hanger into series 4. We won't initially know who is responsible, but it probably won't be the likely suspect (Git's son) and will probably be his mate Darren, but this probably be a final reveal in the last few seconds of the show.

As much as I admire the show for its high production values, I really can't suspend disbelief because of Tom Vaughan-Lawlor's and Robert Sheehan's inability to nail the accent, fine actors they are otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Imhof Tank wrote:
    It was an interesting piece all the same. The gist of one text was that the show appeals to the middle classes watching on their plasma screens from the safety of their suburban sitting rooms (like the writer himself maybe?) more so than people living in deprived areas where gang rule is reality. That was a good point.

I thought it was the most ridiculous point I've ever heard made about the program.

And I don't think he was playing up to anything. Just because you're a good writer doesn't mean you're an eloquent speaker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Terri26

Forgive me if this has been asked already (I did go 6-7 pages in and didnt see anything) but I was wondering how do I watch season 3. Over the last 2 -3 weekends I watched season 1 and 2 as I had purchased the box sets. I would like to watch season 3 but when I went to rte real player it seems to only have the latest episode. Am I looking in the wrong places as other shows seems to have a few episodes on them.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Terri26 wrote: »
    Forgive me if this has been asked already (I did go 6-7 pages in and didnt see anything) but I was wondering how do I watch season 3. Over the last 2 -3 weekends I watched season 1 and 2 as I had purchased the box sets. I would like to watch season 3 but when I went to rte real player it seems to only have the latest episode. Am I looking in the wrong places as other shows seems to have a few episodes on them.
    Thanks

Series 3 box set goes on sale on Monday, can't be hurting those potential sales by having it up on the player for too long y'know ;)

ah okay - I guess I could wait until Monday but had heard so many ppl talk about season 3 i decided to buy the first two and then catch up on season 3 on real player! Any idea on how much it will be?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No need for new L/H thread. Threads merged.

sorry about that Mr E but I didn't want to go on a thread with spoilers in it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

ah okay - I guess I could wait until Monday but had heard so many ppl talk about season 3 i decided to buy the first two and then catch up on season 3 on real player! Any idea on how much it will be?

14.99 - order before Dec 17th to get it by the Christmas.

http://shop.rte.ie/Product/Love-Hate-Series-3-DVD/2445/2220.12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

The story arc is very predictable. It's like that old saying that if a character catches a cold in Act 1 then they'll die of pneumonia in Act 3.

The following events are bound to happen in the last episode of the current series:

- the junkie prostitute will OD and die, probably in a gutter or some other dramatic dive

- Nidge will be shot, but not killed and left in intensive care and this will be the main cliff-hanger into series 4. We won't initially know who is responsible, but it probably won't be the likely suspect (Git's son) and will probably be his mate Darren, but this probably be a final reveal in the last few seconds of the show.

That would be a bit repetitive - Darren shooting the boss in the last episode (again), Nidge and Tommy both in intensive care. I'd give the writers a bit more credit than that.

I think the junkie prostitute will end up with Fran - he'll probably call her "Linda Mark-3".

Those predictions all assume the L/H writers are working from the same old how to write a TV series manual - which might or might not be true.

Nobody knows yet so better to save the predictability criticism till after the finale, then if you're proved correct - you'll have a very valid point to make.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I thought it was the most ridiculous point I've ever heard made about the program.

Texter was referring to their own experiences (Kilbarrack) so would be better qualified than me so I wont call it ridiculous. Middle class voyeurism is a recurring theme in The Sopranos for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭trashcan

, I really can't suspend disbelief because of Tom Vaughan-Lawlor's and Robert Sheehan's inability to nail the accent, fine actors they are otherwise.

Ah,come on. I think they have both nailed the accents, Tom Vaughan Lawlor particularly. (And I'm from a corporation estate btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭trashcan

The gist of one text was that the show appeals to the middle classes watching on their plasma screens from the safety of their suburban sitting rooms (like the writer himself maybe?) more so than people living in deprived areas where gang rule is reality. That was a good point.

So, you're middle class with a Plasma screen, is what you're saying ? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

It's a fair point about the pitfalls of the genre.
    What was Carolan's reply. Do they have a player on the station website?

• Site Banned Posts: 240 ✭✭Nervous Nigel

Some incredibly pious sh1te being written in this thread.

Love/Hate is a fantastic show. We're used to being forcefed turgid rubbish by RTE and TV3. Finally we get something that's comparable with the best HBO and BBC, but some people still aren't happy.

I for one can't wait for Sunday or for next year's series.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Some incredibly pious sh1te being written in this thread.

Love/Hate is a fantastic show. We're used to being forcefed turgid rubbish by RTE and TV3. Finally we get something that's comparable with the best HBO and BBC, but some people still aren't happy.

I for one can't wait for Sunday or for next year's series.

You would say that, Nidge.

Love/Hate is a fantastic show.

It isn't really. It's good, but flawed and it's good to discuss the flaws and the good stuff.
    Personally, I prefer an honest failure to a dishonest one and such is the appeal of this series I fear that honest writers will be pushed aside in favour of dishonest ones with a stylistic rather than a proper dramatic investigative agenda. That's not to say the two can't go hand in hand. They have in many dramas, just not this one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Happyman42 wrote: »
    It isn't really. It's good, but flawed and it's good to discuss the flaws and the good stuff.

Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again ????

I disagree.

I particularly like the way that the writers add depth to peripheral characters (e.g. Lizzie).

I also like the way that we as an audience were made to feel sympathetic towards Dano last Sunday.

And ultimately these people (Nidge, Darren, Fran) are the scum of the Earth, yet we get the sense that they're people too. Things like Darren's compassion for Elmo had echoes of The Wire for me.

This really is good stuff and we should celebrate the fact that it's being made in Ireland. Not out of the usual faux gombeen pride that we're often forced to feel about things that are actually rubbish, but for genuine reasons of pride.

Mr E wrote: »
    Over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again ????

A new poster making a yet another degrogatory point about the discussion. I just thought I would clarify what is good about a proper discussion. This series has provoked debate in other places to Boards, and it should be a good constructive debate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

sorry about that Mr E but I didn't want to go on a thread with spoilers in it.

*spoiler* Aido's budgie flies out of the shower in Series 4, him being murdered by Aido was all a dream... *spoiler*

Mr E wrote: »

When a mod intervenes in that way, ^^^ I'll leave it at that and the Television forum. There is a constructive debate happening about this series all over the net and among those that care about the art but it's obvious to me, having been called all the names under the sun for having the 'termerity' to criticise it in this so called Television forum in an Arts section of the site,(this thread is really just a fanboy/girl one) that it is frowned upon to have an opinion. Yes it may seem like a repetitive one, but we have many pages of repetitive praise too. To those that did engage with what I had to say, thank you, I hope we see better next time out from the biggest commissioner of Irish TV drama. Enjoy the last episode everybody else, I know I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Just An Opinion

^^^we just know he'll be back next Monday morning stating how flawed the finale was, and how we're all being bought and sold by lazy stereotypical writing blah blah blah blah blah!

Groundhog day was a film I watched and swore never to watch again, Happyman over these past 5 weeks has made me feel I starred in the remake.

I hope we see better next time out from the biggest commissioner of Irish TV drama

This sums it up really.

If your high level analysis of Love/Hate is "Could do better", that's an outrageous point of view. Of course virtually anything can be improved, but your criticisms of the show are the equivalent of beating a child for getting an A-.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Judicious use of the ignore list has made this thread a bit more readable, if a bit sparse.

Stop replying to them and they shall be gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Sounded like Stuart Carolan had been at the Zimmos himself at times during that interview. Lots of ems, ehs, a distracted air and he kept losing his train of thought in mid sentance.

To be honest he sounds like he's extremely shy or has speech issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

When a mod intervenes in that way, ^^^ I'll leave it at that and the Television forum. There is a constructive debate happening about this series all over the net and among those that care about the art but it's obvious to me, having been called all the names under the sun for having the 'termerity' to criticise it in this so called Television forum in an Arts section of the site,(this thread is really just a fanboy/girl one) that it is frowned upon to have an opinion. Yes it may seem like a repetitive one, but we have many pages of repetitive praise too. To those that did engage with what I had to say, thank you, I hope we see better next time out from the biggest commissioner of Irish TV drama. Enjoy the last episode everybody else, I know I will.

I think the issue is simple.
    Your issues with the serious are on a very minor level, yet you continue to harp on about them. I accept what you are saying. It's not 100% true to life. For good reason.

What standards are you holding LH up to? What is, in your opinion, the best series ever?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement