Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

kippy wrote: »

I think the issue is simple.
    Your issues with the serious are on a very minor level, yet you continue to harp on about them. I accept what you are saying. It's not 100% true to life. For good reason.

What standards are you holding LH up to? What is, in your opinion, the best series ever?
    Exactly...happyman is generally correct in a way, but the positives out weigh his points a million to one! Love hate has the balance of critical acclaim and popularity and I hope It's on tv for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭crank_1975

To be honest he sounds like he's extremely shy or has speech issues
    He started out on radio though performing as Navan Man and father Wishy Washy on the Last Word. He definitely sounded like he had downed a few sherbets before going on the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

crank_1975 wrote: »
    He started out on radio though performing as Navan Man and father Wishy Washy on the Last Word. He definitely sounded like he had downed a few sherbets before going on the show.
    Maybe its easier to speak in character

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

crank_1975 wrote: »

Was just thinking the exact same, he'd no speech issues back then when he saw creating some of the best comedy heard on Irish radio. The sketches where him and Tom Dunne used to do the drunken politician and Dr Bill are the stuff of legend! Genius stuff.

He sounded like he had a bit of a head cold. Or maybe had been sampling some of Nidge's product. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Big Game wrote: »
    Was just thinking the exact same, he'd no speech issues back then when he saw creating some of the best comedy heard on Irish radio. The sketches where him and Tom Dunne used to do the drunken politician and Dr Bill are the stuff of legend! Genius stuff.

He sounded like he had a bit of a head cold. Or maybe had been sampling some of Nidge's product. ;)

Or, as Ash said, it's easier to speak in character... with a script.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Or, as Ash said, it's easier to speak in character... with a script.

Possibly.

Pretty sure a lot of those sketches were ad libbed mind you.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    14.99 - order before Dec 17th to get it by the Christmas.

http://shop.rte.ie/Product/Love-Hate-Series-3-DVD/2445/2220.12

The box set is better value , all 3 series for 24.99
    http://shop.rte.ie/Product/Love-Hate-Series-1-2-and-3-Box-Set-5-DVDs/2447/2220.12

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Karen23 wrote: »

Region free too which is good. You can send it to the family abroad so they can see the violence they're missing at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

trashcan wrote: »
    So, you're middle class with a Plasma screen, is what you're saying ? :pac:

The middle classes upgraded from plasma screens to LCD/LED screens years ago- just before their property portfolios went south! :-)

Happyman42 wrote: »
    When a mod intervenes in that way, ^^^ I'll leave it at that and the Television forum. .

I haven't agreed often with Happyman, but on this one, he is dead right. I would have expected a moderator to be independent of subject matter, but to enforce rules. What rule did Happyman break to engender the "over and over and over..." posting?

• Advertisement

Happyman42 wrote: »
    A new poster making a yet another degrogatory point about the discussion. I just thought I would clarify what is good about a proper discussion. This series has provoked debate in other places to Boards, and it should be a good constructive debate.

You make yourself out to be some sort of expert critic yet to be honest your just like any other Irish person. Something that's highly rated and popular and that happens to be Irish you feel the need to pick holes in it to fuel this insecurity that the Irish have about themselves and of course your comparing it to American shows in a vain attempt at vindicating your claims. The usual 'Why cant we be more like them?' bulls*it'.

If your so fond of critique then its very funny that most of your posts in the TV forum are on love/hate. What other programs are you critiquing so since you think its so important?

Some incredibly pious sh1te being written in this thread.

Love/Hate is a fantastic show. We're used to being forcefed turgid rubbish by RTE and TV3. Finally we get something that's comparable with the best HBO and BBC, but some people still aren't happy.

I for one can't wait for Sunday or for next year's series.

+1

Love/Hate is on a tight budget and RTÉ wont pump any more money into it. Contrast it to the fact 'the stars' are on so much of a salary. Pat Kenny €1m a year, Derek Mooney €290k a year. Joe Duffy €500k a year and yet RTÉ wont give L/H another red dime

• Registered Users Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭Hitchens

+1

Joe Duffy €500k a year

for answering a phone :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Hitchens wrote: »
    for answering a phone :mad:

Wouldn't you love to hate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I haven't agreed often with Happyman, but on this one, he is dead right. I would have expected a moderator to be independent of subject matter, but to enforce rules. What rule did Happyman break to engender the "over and over and over..." posting?

I find it strange that Happyman is suffering abuse from all sides and yet some posters in this thread have made disparaging remarks about the physical appearance of some of the female cast and nothing was said (which is much worse in my mind). Yes, he has persistently (to put it mildly:D) put across unpopular opinions about the show but just because Love/Hate is a popular indigenous production doesn’t mean that it should be immune to criticism.

Something that's highly rated and popular and that happens to be Irish you feel the need to pick holes in it to fuel this insecurity that the Irish have about themselves and of course your comparing it to American shows in a vain attempt at vindicating your claims. The usual 'Why cant we be more like them?' bulls*it'.

The comparison is made because people usually try to measure themselves against the best - and the US produces some of the best television out there.

I don't think it was in the end..wasn't it a "cultural difference"?

TBH i hadnt heard about the allegations re MF. Havent actually seen him in anything other then the Guinness ad from 04-05. Great swimmer :)

fruvai wrote: »
    I find it strange that Happyman is suffering abuse from all sides and yet some posters in this thread have made disparaging remarks about the physical appearance of some of the female cast and nothing was said (which is much worse in my mind). Yes, he has persistently (to put it mildly:D) put across unpopular opinions about the show but just because Love/Hate is a popular indigenous production doesn’t mean that it should be immune to criticism.

The comparison is made because people usually try to measure themselves against the best - and the US produces some of the best television out there.

But surely they are fallable like everything else? Comparing them to the best is easier said then done but fact is the spare change from a US tv station would probably provide Love/Hate makers with a budget beyond their wildest dreams. Fact is most of 'happy' mans postings in the tv forum is with the aim of criticising Love/Hate despite him after dining on a 5 course meal thus far. The Paolo Tulio of this thread.

He claims to want to criticly evaluate tv yet ironically the only show he has done this with happens to be the most popular drama ever produced on this island of all time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

Does anyone know when last week's episode is repeated? I was unable to watch it last week, and really want to catch up before the finale. I recall that it's repeated some time over the weekend but I don't know any further details.

Thanks guys.

But surely they are fallable like everything else? Comparing them to the best is easier said then done but fact is the spare change from a US tv station would probably provide Love/Hate makers with a budget beyond their wildest dreams. Fact is most of 'happy' mans postings in the tv forum is with the aim of criticising Love/Hate despite him after dining on a 5 course meal thus far. The Paolo Tulio of this thread.

He claims to want to criticly evaluate tv yet ironically the only show he has done this with happens to be the most popular drama ever produced on this island of all time :rolleyes:

I take your point. And indeed, I may well agree with your sentiment(s) regarding Happyman. However, he is entitled to express his opinion, and nothing he has posted is good enough reason for a Moderator to interfere with the discussion to the point of 'constructive dismissal' of Happyman from the forum? I strongly object to such selective censorship. And that act followed immediately from an arbitrary decision to merge another forum with this one, that other forum having been set up or subscribed to by at least one user on the basis that it did NOT contain spoilers, while this forum clearly (see forum title) does.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 jynx59

robman60 wrote: »
    Does anyone know when last week's episode is repeated? I was unable to watch it last week, and really want to catch up before the finale. I recall that it's repeated some time over the weekend but I don't know any further details.

Thanks guys.

It's repeated Saturday night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,335 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Godot. wrote: »
    Has there been an attractive woman on Love/Hate that WASN'T a slut? Trish, maybe? Don't think she has slept around.

Thanks guys.

I think it's on early on Sunday evening.

ETA 2315 on Saturday. No idea where the first quote came from!

Just checked RTE Guide online. I thought it is repeated on Saturday night but I couldn't find it on the listing.

Have you access to RTE Player?

Found it. L/H repeated Sat 15 Dec, 23:15 - 00:20 on RTE 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Steel Dog

It is repeated tomorrow nite at 11.15 on RTE1.

I take your point. And indeed, I may well agree with your sentiment(s) regarding Happyman. However, he is entitled to express his opinion, and nothing he has posted is good enough reason for a Moderator to interfere with the discussion to the point of 'constructive dismissal' of Happyman from the forum? I strongly object to such selective censorship. And that act followed immediately from an arbitrary decision to merge another forum with this one, that other forum having been set up or subscribed to by at least one user on the basis that it did NOT contain spoilers, while this forum clearly (see forum title) does.

I disagree. He was allowed post many of his views though it was the same thing over and over again. He maintains he wants to critically evaluate the program and yet its the only program he wants to do so despite claiming that its a must for all tv shows and he makes the same points continuously to the point where one would suspect it was bordering on trolling.
    I think Mods can over exercise their power at times on boards but the majority run the forums very sensibly. The mod on this topic has handled things as best as they can tbh. It is not as if Happyman was kicked off after one post now is it? look at his post history and in particular everything in tv. I gave him the benefit of the doubt for long enough but when i seen our 'critic' had most of his posts in the love/hate thread i knew something wasnt right. Typical Irish begrudging bullsh*t if you ask me

Watching episode 5 season 2 at the moment. Fran is a ledgebag :D

"Ill be honest with ya Nidgey i was down in the blackest pit..very down ya know, didnt think id be happy again....black it was ya know, and what happened, this lovely lady came inta me life"

"I loved Linda ya know Nidgey...havent forgotten about her, straight up to the grave and asked her for her blessing......(gulps pint).......This is like Linda mark 2, less miles on the clock and better body ha!!" :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭thiarfearr

fruvai wrote: »

The problem isn't so much what he posts, its that he posts the same thing again and again. If another poster posted the same negative thing about a cast member several times a week after every episode, people would quickly get tired of them too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Don't know you, don't mean to be offensive, hope I'm not. But, crock of ****.

I will 'fess up to not having read the rules of the forum from the start, but constantly pressing the same point, again, and again, and again get's on anyones nerves.

I've pressed the report button asking that this ****e be cut out in the past. If I don't like something I bugger off and do something else. We all know what happyman thinks, because he's said it ten thousand times, that's what I object to. Have your say, by all means, but bugger off then please if you've nothing NEW to say.

No offense mean to Hman either by the by, as I hold the same opinion for other people and other topics.

Moderator can't win, go with the crowd, someone will say they're being picked on. Go with the rules someone will say they're an effing jobsworth. Do nothing and someone will say they're useless.

Just jog the fcuk on and talk about L/H instead of this other incessant bull**** PLEASE.

It IS the best thing RTE have had a hand in in years, it IS imperfect, but get on with it and enjoy it.

It's not life or death FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Thank you. Now, let that be an end to it. Back on topic please.

• Advertisement

Mr E wrote: »
    Thank you. Now, let that be an end to it. Back on topic please.

That's grand. So long as we know how this forum operates: If a minority view is repeated, or one person says the same thing too often, then the mob rules. So much for Voltaire's "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement