Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

Watched some of this for the first time last night, shocking stuff really bad from the acting to the dialogue but what do you expect from an RTE production.....and I'd read enough glowing reports in the papers

and there's talk of this for an American audience??? :eek: I could see it going down just aswell as a Kazakstani crime/thriller would here, can't see it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

mrbrown69 wrote: »
    Watched some of this for the first time last night, shocking stuff really bad from the acting to the dialogue but what do you expect from an RTE production.....and I'd read enough glowing reports in the papers

and there's talk of this for an American audience??? :eek: I could see it going down just aswell as a Kazakstani crime/thriller would here, can't see it

Should stay away from it if it effects you that much:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

dzer2 wrote: »
    Should stay away from it if it effects you that much:cool:

I have and I will in future from these hams overdoing their Dublinese :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

I have and I will in future from these hams overdoing their Dublinese :cool:
    Anyone I know from England that watched it so far have thought it terrific. Only a small sample but does indicate that it could travel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Their accents are perfect Dublin - if anything they've toned them down in order to be understood. If this were set in west Limerick or north Kerry they'd have had to soften the accents too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

I won't get to watch the finale. I haven't got a working telling since the Saorview switch and my internet connection is crap since coming home from college.

The show (while not the best EVER) is addictive and entertaining as hell! I shall be trawling boards tonight to read the running commentary in place of watching it. :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Steel Dog

Love/Hate after posting this picture on their Facebook page.

60899_500255150005253_1651768156_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Steel Dog wrote: »

That's it for poor ould Danno now, McGinley will come down on him like a ton of bricks for not being in full uniform, sure he forgot his balaclava.

I really do have to laugh at the way us begrudging Irish are quick off the mark to pick holes in our own produce and just take it as a given that stuff made in the states will be universally accepted.

Do you think makers of The Wire are pushed about the greater worldwide audience having trouble with the local Baltimore dialogue? Or that Guy Richie is concerned whether people misunderstand the cockney slang?

Only the difference between Love/Hate is that all of the actors are Dubs and Irish at the very least whereas the likes of The Wire have foreign actors such as Dominic West, Idris Elba and Aiden Gillen (All brilliant actors i might add)

Due to our inferiority complex this show is over analysed and over dissected instead of being valued as the terrific piece of television that it is. I would doubt that there is half the holes picked in the US or UK shows on boards or other forums which i might also add have huge budgets to support them unlike Love/Hate.

The fact the people in the know all over the globe are picking up the rights to show Love/Hate speaks volumes. Perhaps the secret to its success in terms of Ireland is the fact that its breaking new boundaries on Irish television but my belief is that it will have reasonable level of success abroad and good luck to the makers

I wished they didnt leak this and just leave us watch the damn show when it airs tonight :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I think you'll be proven right and see some hardcore Irish begrudgery coming out if it does well overseas. We were perfectly happy to let Brendan O'Carroll do his own little thing with Mrs Brown's Boys...until it became an international success. Though Love/Hate is like night and day with that show on every level, I wouldn't be surprised to see public opinion switch on it if it does do well. I hope it does, though. I'd like to see some kind of big reward for shows like this: it'll encourage RTÉ to take more risks in the future, which works better for all of us in the long run.

As for tonight, I like some of the theories suggested here thus far. I can't see Nidge being killed, though: they've made it too obvious. Granted, you knew something had to give with John Boy last season, but he also had a sense of invincibility around him so, despite the foreboding signs, there was still an element of surprise that they had the balls to follow through with it. Nidge has all of that foreboding and is infinitely more vulnerable: he's ****ed right now. So, if he does indeed get killed, they'd have to do it spectacularly for it not to be a disappointment.

Plus, Nidge is by far one of my favourite characters on Irish television ever (up there with Miley, I tell ya), so he'd be a massive, massive loss. Yes, moreso than an actor who was in The f'n Wire. That says it all, really.

Was wondering what the tune used in the promo ads were. Lana Del Rey - Born to die. Such an apt tune for the show imo and a cracking tune to boot

• Registered Users Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭Hitchens

leggo wrote: »

Plus, Nidge is by far one of my favourite characters on Irish television ever (up there with Miley, I tell ya), so he'd be a massive, massive loss. Yes, moreso than an actor who was in The f'n Wire. That says it all, really.

Plus, Dazzler just wouldn't be realistic as leader, Tommy is probably in a vegetative state, so that leaves Frano who is a looper.

So hopefully Nidge stays, not least because the dialogue between him and Trish is priceless at times, although they could also parachute a new kingpin for the next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Barry Barry

Nidges car in the background..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Nidges car in the background..

Looks like a Mondeo there too. Unmarked Squaddie??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Looks like a Mondeo there too. Unmarked Squaddie??

No Mondeo in that pic.

No Mondeo in that pic.

Its an Avensis.

Who drives that?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

No Mondeo in that pic.

Nidge's jeep at the back. Is that navy car not a mondy? The wheels look like the alloys on a Mondeo.

I think you'll be proven right and see some hardcore Irish begrudgery coming out if it does well overseas. We were perfectly happy to let Brendan O'Carroll do his own little thing with Mrs Brown's Boys...until it became an international success. Though Love/Hate is like night and day with that show on every level, I wouldn't be surprised to see public opinion switch on it if it does do well. I hope it does, though. I'd like to see some kind of big reward for shows like this: it'll encourage RTÉ to take more risks in the future, which works better for all of us in the long run.

As for tonight, I like some of the theories suggested here thus far. I can't see Nidge being killed, though: they've made it too obvious. Granted, you knew something had to give with John Boy last season, but he also had a sense of invincibility around him so, despite the foreboding signs, there was still an element of surprise that they had the balls to follow through with it. Nidge has all of that foreboding and is infinitely more vulnerable: he's ****ed right now. So, if he does indeed get killed, they'd have to do it spectacularly for it not to be a disappointment.

Nidge wont be killed by the RA imo but im wondering will he get Dazzler or will Dazzler get him?
    It would suffer big time without TVL no doubt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Feck this... Staying away from this thread untill after tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Its an Avensis.
    Who drives that?

Twink, hopefully.. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Twink, hopefully.. :pac:

Good idea - Twink to become the new gang boss next season. It would work if their mammies finally woke up and told them how to run a business without getting shot.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

We were perfectly happy to let Brendan O'Carroll do his own little thing with Mrs Brown's Boys...until it became an international success.

I wasn't. I've hated that f*cking troll and his unfunny creation ever since she started on 2FM back in the day. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

eeeek...i'll be back after the show

Good idea - Twink to become the new gang boss next season. It would work if their mammies finally woke up and told them how to run a business without getting shot.:)

Twink could play Frans mother. Would explain his mental disfunction :D

Nidge's jeep at the back. Is that navy car not a mondy? The wheels look like the alloys on a Mondeo.

No, its definitely not a Mondeo. If you look closely you'll see orange indicator lens' but Mondeos never same with them :)

Also, I'm 90% sure the two goons that normally drive the white jeep drove that Avensis.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,410 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

A few weeks ago.
    Should Darren not be handing himself in to the police and doing his 24 hours
    in the interview suite? Everyone else got released inc the co-killer girl, so clearly there is no actual evidence against him?

Glad to see Nidge made the same point to Darren in ep5 (the nutter in me would like to think that the writers saw my post and filmed this scene in the last 2 weeks just to clear this up :)

I liked ep5 a lot, think it was important to have a quiet (-ish) episode that was more dialogue than action driven, as a setup to an expected bloodbath in the season finale. Nothing more to add to whats been said.

P.S. Writers, if you are reading here. You really need to have a scene where the Sunday Paper do an expose of 'The Weasel' with a selection of truths/halftruths and guesses the way they do. Would be fun to have Trish reading about 'known ladies man The Weasel believed to have a fortune tucked away' at the breakfast table.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Twink could play Frans mother. Would explain his mental disfunction :D

Ah Jeez man, that so wouldn't be coola boola for poor Franno.

Was Donna 'shaved' in the last episode or two episodes ago?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

Was Donna 'shaved' in the last episode or two episodes ago?
    Last one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement