Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

If you go to the comments section of the Journal article there's some interesting comments and analysis of the various bird imagery by Maura.

http://jrnl.ie/720114

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Skyn wrote: »
    He only got shot once in the back of head and and it came out the side. The camera just showed it from both angles imo. ........

Hmmm, that's a good theory - I've just watched it in slow motion and it could have been just one shot. If it's two then they're in the exact same part of the head with possibly the same location for the exit wound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Gloveworm

Completely incidental, but nearly fell off my couch when I saw Nidge's bodyguard. He was my judge at a kettlebell competition in Cork, hyooge scary-looking chap!

Think he recently won gold for Ireland in a international kettlebell comp, an man of many talents :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭trashcan

I think it should have been Elmo who finished Darren off. It would have been ironic after Darren let him off the hook not once, but twice. I don't think the series will be any poorer for his passing, the character never convinced me really. I think some new blood is needed for series 4. I read somewhere that they were going to develop the Garda side of the story more. Always felt that the series would benefit from this. Show the cat and mouse games that go on between the drugs gangs and the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

Nothing on RTE 9 o clock news about Darren so he must be alive .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

I reckon it was Aido who told Lizzie that Darren killed her brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

ViveLaVie wrote: »

Nidge told Tony so the Ra knew, why do people think someone else told her?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Ella

ViveLaVie wrote: »
    Nah it was either Tony or Dano.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭thefa

Hitchens wrote: »
    that's known as the 'double tap' :cool:
    It's the same shot repeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Pitty Darrens gone tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Big Game wrote: »

Nidge told Tony so the Ra knew, why do people think someone else told her?

I just think it would cement Aido's betrayal of Darren. He did know about it too. Very possible he told Lizzie. I doubt Tony or Dano have many direct dealings with Lizzie.

Is there any 'Problems with Homeland' thread or 'Problems with The Wire' thread set up or are these shows beyond perfection? :rolleyes: Are we this petty and begrudging as a nation that when a great piece of television is written that it would be analysed to death to find problems with ? :mad: Honest to christ how miserable would you want to be in fairness

Mod Edit: Stop Trolling. First and only warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Twas debbie (the prostitute) that shot darren........;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

I thought Nidge was going to say Tommy killed Git , he had motive and it's not like they can do anymore damage to him and it would have got Darren off the hook. Especially when Nidge paid a visit to Tommy beforehand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Karen23 wrote: »
    I thought Nidge was going to say Tommy killed Git , he had motive and it's not like they can do anymore damage to him and it would have got Darren off the hook. Especially when Nidge paid a visit to Tommy beforehand.

He sold Darren out cause he knew about him going offside with frans missus.

He sold Darren out cause he knew about him going offside with frans missus.

Darren had known about that for a long time and never said anything to Fran , why would he think he'd spill the beans now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Remember when Nidge, Luke and Darren drove into the mountains in series 2, and after Nidge killed Luke, Darren is digging the grave and Nidge is looking down at him and draws his gun and after a few seconds puts it away again.

Nidge, as early as that, was contemplating offing Darren

Hitchens wrote: »
    Remember when Nidge, Luke and Darren drove into the mountains in series 2, and after Nidge killed Luke, Darren is digging the grave and Nidge is looking down at him and draws his gun and after a few seconds puts it away again.

Nidge, as early as that, was contemplating offing Darren

It was a sign of things to come. I thought there might be an ironic twist with Dazzler clipping Nidge but it would seem Dazzler's downfall was his loyalty to his 'buddies'

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Lads, I've deleted some posts from this thread. Please stop trying to open old wounds (aka trolling). Cheers...

Mr E wrote: »
    Lads, I've deleted some posts from this thread. Please stop trying to open old wounds (aka trolling). Cheers...

Im not baiting anyone but it is frustrating and perplexing to see the level of pettiness tbh. Thats all i have to say on it ill move on

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Karen23 wrote: »

Darren had known about that for a long time and never said anything to Fran , why would he think he'd spill the beans now ?

Do you not remember Darren hit him last week because of the tommy thing,Darren was loosing his patience with nidge,and even last night Darren was still saying it to him,remember in nidges house just before the ra lads got nidge?

Darren was becoming to unpredictable for nidges liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Twas debbie (the prostitute) that shot darren........;)

Bet nidge gets the rap she shaved her head

Do you not remember Darren hit him last week because of the tommy thing,Darren was loosing his patience with nidge,and even last night Darren was still saying it to him,remember in nidges house just before the ra lads got nidge?

Darren was becoming to unpredictable for nidges liking.

Ye I do . I just figured Darren had proven his loyalty to Nidge and he could depend on him and didnt think he'd sell him out. Wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,448 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anyway here is some of the music featured in Season 3. Feel free to add more. If you can add them in lists (i.e from Series 2) it would be also ideal.

London Philharmonic Orchestra – Mozart’s – Serenade No. 10 in B-Flat ‘Gran Partita’
    Hans Zimmer- (True Romance Soundtrack) -Your So cool
    Jimi Hendrix – ‘Voodoo Child’
    Brian Eno – ‘An Ending (Ascent)’
    Brian Eno – ‘The Big Ship’
    Waylon Jennings – ‘Dreaming My Dreams of You’
    PP Arnold – ‘Angel Of The Morning’
    Caroline Dale – ‘Handel’s Sarabande’
    Desmond Dekker – ‘First Time For A Long Time’
    Tiesto – Samuel Barber’s Adagio For Strings
    Gene Pitney – ‘Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa’
    Led Zeppelin – ‘Black Dog’

The writer of this show must be walking around with some hard on. The whole country is talking about it as if it's as real as a big Soccer match. Some people taking it waaaay too seriously but it just goes to show that Ireland hasn't produced anything worth talking about like this in many, many years. It's definitely RTE's number 1 commodity and will probably do well in the states now.

Unfortunately I think the show will struggle in the states for several reasons:

* The Irish accent coupled with Dublin slang/lingo will be lost on American audiences.
    * Each season is too short.
    * The first episode is brutal. I almost gave up trying to catch up on the series right from the start recently. The first 15 mins is just back-and-forward mobile calls.
    * It will be compared to shows such as The Wire. The Wire wasn't even a huge hit in America, but is in a different league to Love/Hate.
    * Love/Hate relies on stereotypes and prejudices that will be completely lost on American audiences. I live in Dublin but am not Irish, and was amazed at how some Irish people explained to me some of the stereotypes used in the show, such as how women are portrayed.

I still like it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Basil3 wrote: »

* The Irish accent coupled with Dublin slang/lingo will be lost on American audiences.

This problem didn't harm 'The Wire'
    * It will be compared to shows such as The Wire. The Wire wasn't even a huge hit in America, but is in a different league to Love/Hate.

The Wire is one of the top 3 shows ever made(alongside West Wing and The Sopranos) so I'm not sure what you mean tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

* Love/Hate relies on stereotypes and prejudices that will be completely lost on American audiences. I live in Dublin but am not Irish, and was amazed at how some Irish people explained to me some of the stereotypes used in the show, such as how women are portrayed.

I still like it though.

I don't know about that. Criminals fighting the cops and each other - that's a pretty universal storyline.

The characters are Irish but the same sorts of characters exist in major cities all over the world. If they can get past the slang and accents I don't think something like how women are portrayed will be a problem - just look at something like the Sopranos and how they portray a lot of women, hookers, strippers and mistresses who are often treated horribly and end up dying violently.

I don't see the difference between that and Love/Hate.

Although I'd be interested in hearing what did you need to have explained to you that you didn't get by watching it yourself?

* Each season is too short.
    * The first episode is brutal. I almost gave up trying to catch up on the series right from the start recently. The first 15 mins is just back-and-forward mobile calls.

I still like it though.

1. Would the Baltimore dialogue not be lost on worldwide audiences?
    2. Budget is the reason for Season being too short. RTE v HBO, etc i mean no contest really
    3. I agree the first episode in retrospect is very poor. That could make or break the series abroad and Chris Newman coupled with Sheehan appearing the first few minutes might kill the show before it gets off the ground
    4. The Wire has a bigger budget than Love/Hate now in fairness. Its like comparing a championship club to United, City or Chelsea.
    5. Every show has a certain amount of stereotypes, in fact stereotypes probably define the Arts in general

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭dcmm

xzanti wrote: »
    Anyone have any joy getting the box set today?? I went into 2 HMV's to be told they hadn't arrived yet...

Got it in Heatons's Limerick this afternoon :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement