Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

bidiots wrote: »

The Wire is one of the top 3 shows ever made(alongside West Wing and The Sopranos) so I'm not sure what you mean tbh...

The Wire didn't rate well in America, it only became popular due to critical acclaim. Love/Hate, although good, isn't in the same ball park.

I felt like Darren dying was a poor attempt to recreate the
    Omar
    death in The Wire. Only difference was that Darren was no longer likeable and his death was both inevitable and predictable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Tesco & Golden Discs had the box set today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I would also add that Love/Hate doesn't have to do huge figures for HULU for them to be happy with it. They're buying it in for much cheaper than bigger budgets series I'd imagine. So as long as it gets some sort of viewership then they might be very happy with it.

Also as it's on a streaming service there's more chance for it to build word-of-mouth as opposed to it just being screened on a network and then forgotten about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭bidiots

Basil3 wrote: »
    The Wire didn't rate well in America, it only became popular due to critical acclaim. Love/Hate, although good, isn't in the same ball park.

I felt like Darren dying was a poor attempt to recreate the Omar death in The Wire. Only difference was that Darren was no longer likeable and his death was both inevitable and predictable.

Why are you comparing The Wire to L/H tho?

Does it matter when The Wire became successful? Its one of the biggest series ever made....Still not sure what you mean

Honest to god, :rolleyes: one person says Love/Hate is excellent tv and then the replies seem to come 'The Wire, The Wire,The Wire, The Wire, The Wire, The Wire, Ooooohhhhh The Wire'..... getting tiring now. Love/Hate is Love/Hate, great television which is breaking all ground despite being underfunded... the Wire is the Wire.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Basil3 wrote: »
    I felt like Darren dying was a poor attempt to recreate the Omar death in The Wire. Only difference was that Darren was no longer likeable and his death was both inevitable and predictable.

Why? How they were killed wasn't really that similar.

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Oh but in case us Irish people might get the idea we can create good television its only fair to try burst the bubble :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Marvil

Does anyone know why the RIRA made Nidge change into overalls ?

bidiots wrote: »

Why are you comparing The Wire to L/H tho?

Does it matter when The Wire became successful? Its one of the biggest series ever made....Still not sure what you mean

Apologies, I only compare to The Wire because a person who has major involvement in Love/Hate told me that if I liked The Wire, I'd love Love/Hate. Its the only reason I even watched it because to be honest I hadn't even heard of it until a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭peabutler

Ah but it was, shot to the head from behind from one of the less likelier sources..

• Advertisement

I only meant this in the sense that he
    was the likeable bad guy who just couldn't be killed, when suddenly he
    does get what he deserves when you (presumably) least expect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Marvil wrote: »

so they'd see he wasn't wearing a wire? oh crap ...I've mentioned wire again oops :p

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ItAintMeBabe

I reckon Tommy will wake up in the next season and be fine. He'll find out that Nidge put the hit out on Darren and then tell Fran about Nidge and Fran's missus. Fran will lose the plot but can't do anything straight away because the RA lads will be watching Nidge's back. It'll turn into Nidge and the RA versus Fran and Tommy and possibly a few new characters they'll have to bring into it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Would turn into a ghost town fairly quickly I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Hitchens wrote: »
    so they'd see he wasn't wearing a wire? oh crap ...I've mentioned wire again oops :p

..also the IRA are pretty well informed about forensics. By making him change into overalls they knew they wouldn't have fibers from Nidge's clothing in their van or house or on their person if they had decided to kill him.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Anyone who even thinks for 1 minute that Darren isnt really dead or that he may survive..im sorry, but ur insane.

Or merging Sheehans role of Nathan in misfits

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

i think this was the poorest season so far. they need to show more fran. i don't know where they can go from here. i grew tired of the IRA plot. and its obvious that nidge can't lead the gang. John boy wouldn't have ran scared from the ra, he would have at the very least gotten them to make right with what they did to Aido. Nidge just ran scared

did anyone else hope that darren, after surviving the hit nidge put on him, would turn into an Omar(from the wire) type figure next season? not so much robbing drug dealers, but sabotaging Nidges operation and maybe clipping nidge?

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭fruvai

EyeSight wrote: »
    i think this was the poorest season so far. they need to show more fran. i don't know where they can go from here. i grew tired of the IRA plot. and its obvious that nidge can't lead the gang.

It was clearly the best season so far. The first was poor, the second decent and the third was good. They might have given an indication about where it was going in the last episode when Aido tells Nidge that he's gonna have to crack a few heads over the next few weeks in order to save face because the Ra business has hurt his reputation - people thinking that he and his gang are weak

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

did anyone else hope that darren, after surviving the hit nidge put on him, would turn into an Omar(from the wire) type figure next season? not so much robbing drug dealers, but sabotaging Nidges operation and maybe clipping nidge?

Never mention Omar and Darren in the same sentence again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

fruvai wrote: »
    It was clearly the best season so far. The first was poor, the second decent and the third was good. They might have given an indication about where it was going in the last episode when Aido tells Nidge that he's gonna have to crack a few heads over the next few weeks in order to save face because the Ra business has hurt his reputation - people thinking that he and his gang are weak
    season 2 was much better! this season was all "they might find out". "nah they won't".
    they didn't really develop any characters. it was so frustrating. just when you see some real development, it would stop. very frustrating to watch.

nidges gang are very weak now. they have no muscle(elmo and aido? yeah right). fran isn't even in the gang, i don't even know why he's helping nidge out so much. he could easily clip nidge and take over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭brian_t

They have been reading up on how the US handle their detainees.
    The Egyptians handed Abdulsalam al-Hela to the US officials who then stripped him naked and searched him, dressed him in blueoveralls, cuffed his hands and feet and blindfolded him..

http://www.amnesty.org/fr/library/asset/AMR51/012/2006/fr/3da46a16-d46a-11dd-8743-d305bea2b2c7/amr510122006en.html

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

nidges gang are very weak now. they have no muscle(elmo and aido? yeah right). fran isn't even in the gang, i don't even know why he's helping nidge out so much. he could easily clip nidge and take over.
    Fran is getting paid for these jobs id say .
    And in real life you dont have to join the gang and swear your allegiance .Its very loose .

Fran cant kill nidge yet he doesnt have the money or the contacts .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

anyone any difficulty getting the boxsets, wondering should I order one now from rte.ie or head into xtra vision in the morning.
    in limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭dcmm

anyone any difficulty getting the boxsets, wondering should I order one now from rte.ie or head into xtra vision in the morning.
    in limerick

2nd note.:rolleyes:
    Got mine in Heaton's, Childer's Rd limerick today.
    Good Night:p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

plenty in stock?
    thanks btw

• Registered Users Posts: 27 rebel12

HAHA ****ers, i knew it, Darren was in the season 4 trailor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Just been on morning Ireland,thats rte radio 1 :-)

Serious 4 will definitely commence sometime soon and most likely be shown next autumn.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

rebel12 wrote: »
    HAHA ****ers, i knew it, Darren was in the season 4 trailor.

Do you have a link to a Season 4 trailer ?
    Or where have you seen the trailer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Do you have a link to a Season 4 trailer ?
    Or where have you seen the trailer.

He's talking absolute sh*te, probably drunk given the time he's posting at, Darren's character is finished

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Everyone upset for some reason .Darren killed Stumpy , Luke , John Boy , Ray and an innocent couple .Let him rot

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement