Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Macy0161

TheNap wrote: »
    Everyone upset for some reason .Darren killed Stumpy , Luke , John Boy , Ray and an innocent couple .Let him rot
    Isn't that what makes it a great show - multi dimensional characters who you can like sometimes and think are absolute untcs others?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Everyone upset for some reason .Darren killed Stumpy , Luke , John Boy , Ray and an innocent couple .Let him rot

He didn't kill Luke - and was it him that shot JB?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

Rasmus wrote: »

I would think that because Luke was stalking Darrens sister and could snitch that he was involved in John Boys murder he organised for him to be clipped ( cant stop using that word now )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

I would think that because Luke was stalking Darrens sister and could snitch that he was involved in John Boys murder he organised for him to be clipped ( cant stop using that word now )

I though it was Nidge who shot JB, and Nidge definitely shot Luke (when he offered him a smoke in the woods).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 786 ✭✭✭TheNap

I though it was Nidge who shot JB, and Nidge definitely shot Luke (when he offered him a smoke in the woods).

I know Nidge shot him but Darren was involved and probably arranged for it to happen because he feared for Marys safety

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

leonidas83 wrote: »

He's talking absolute sh*te, probably drunk given the time he's posting at, Darren's character is finished

+1
    Its all starting to sound like barstool boll@x talk now.
    Even if he survived, which imo he does not, Nidge will have to finish the job in order to save face with the RA, or Lizzie will go after him again to finish him off, or the RA will go for him themselves.
    Too many people wanted or needed him dead, so thats it, he is dead now.
    Move along folks, nothing to see here now, move along.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nidge shot Luke, but Darren definitely shot JB in collusion with Nidge. Darren entered the pub with a motorbike helmet on and shot JB in the head. The scene had them look eachother in the eyes and JB knew it was Darren just before he shot him.
    Darren had been itching to get him back anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

I always thought it was the young lad Luke who shot John boy, must watch it again. As for Darren still being alive , get a grip he was shot 3 times in the head ffs!

youtube! wrote: »
    I always thought it was the young lad Luke who shot John boy, must watch it again. As for Darren still being alive , get a grip he was shot 3 times in the head ffs!

This is getting out of hand....was he shot once, twice or three times in the head? I need to know for sure! Darren could definitely survive one or two, but three might be a struggle :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Basil3 wrote: »
    I only meant this in the sense that he was the likeable bad guy who just couldn't be killed, when suddenly he does get what he deserves when you (presumably) least expect it.

To be honest I think Omar is a much more likeable character than Darren. Aside from his charm, charisma and the fact that he has a catchphrase (indeed!) - when we meet Omar he is already a badass, he robs from dealers and lives by his own rules. But his rules involve not swearing and never shooting civilians. He's immediately likable. He doesn't go down in our estimation by sinking to lower crimes - in fact he goes up as he comes around to the side of the law briefly by helping McNulty and Keema, even appearing in court for them at one point.

Darren on the other hand when we meet him is a nice guy who's caught up with the wrong crowd. His dilemma is whether he can get out of the world he finds himself in. But as the show progresses we see him instead of getting away, getting sucked deeper into the world until he winds up driving away the girl who loves him and murdering innocents leaving a boy orphaned. He shows little remorse for what he's done and is only intent on getting his money for the deed. He's turned ugly and because we saw him slide into this ugliness it's much harder to like him.
    peabutler wrote: »
    Ah but it was, shot to the head from behind from one of the less likelier sources..

But he was shot in a scene that already had violence in it. He was escaping from an attempted assassination and while it was unexpected that Lizzie was the one to kill him, him being murdered had been on the cards for a while - every time Nidge looked at him you could tell he was weighing up the options . Omar on the other hand...... WIRE SPOILER ALERT!!!
    Omar gets killed in a scene where there is no apparent danger. The only inclination that something was going to happen was the camera lingering a bit too long on him while he bought cigarettes. Omar had done nothing to the kid who killed him whereas Darren had destroyed Lizzie's world. Darren's murder was an act of revenge, Omar's was... an unfortunate result of 'the game'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

This is getting out of hand....was he shot once, twice or three times in the head? I need to know for sure! Darren could definitely survive one or two, but three might be a struggle :D

At least twice maybe not three i can't remember for sure but what I do know is it showed half of his head blown off!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JohnboyMc

youtube! wrote: »

At least twice maybe not three i can't remember for sure but what I do know is it showed half of his head blown off!

Once, shown from two angles... And this Omar lad helping police in court, eh rat and nobody like a rat. One thing is certain that we can all agree on, its about time we have some Irish TV that has everyone talking for the right reasons.

PS Will Dano find out about Tommy and his mad wife?

JohnboyMc wrote: »
    Once, shown from two angles... And this Omar lad helping police in court, eh rat and nobody like a rat.

Are you saying you don't like Omar or are you just mindlessly quoting Goodfellas because you haven't actually seen The Wire?

AnonoBoy wrote: »

Are you saying you don't like Omar or are you just mindlessly quoting Goodfellas because you haven't actually seen The Wire?

I havent seen the wire but its true nobody likes a rat. Darren is a great character in love/hate , we shouldnt like him for the things he has done especially the couple with the child left in the cot but its his loyalty to his mates that i think makes people like him.

I havent seen the wire but its true nobody likes a rat. Darren is a great character in love/hate , we shouldnt like him for the things he has done especially the couple with the child left in the cot but its his loyalty to his mates that i think makes people like him.

Honestly if you watch The Wire you'll see Omar is not what you'd call a 'rat'. He has very very good reasons for doing what he does.

He's a much better character than Darren in a whole host of ways. And I find him to be hugely likable, whereas Darren..... not so much!

Honestly if you watch The Wire you'll see Omar is not what you'd call a 'rat'. He has very very good reasons for doing what he does.

He's a much better character than Darren in a whole host of ways. And I find him to be hugely likable, whereas Darren..... not so much!

Watching the boxset of the wire is something i plan to do. I just read a post about him helping police and thought "rat". I think the only reason that Darren would not survive the gunshot is because Robert Sheehan wanted out to work on bigger things. I couldnt imagine the producers wanted to lose his character....yet. The show needs a new "boss" Nidge-weasel just doesnt cut it. He was better as Johnboys bitch boy. Does anyone think they could attract some better known Irish actors to play stronger characters and maybe a top Garda?

PS for the people trying to pick holes in an otherwise great show, the phone Darren was on when shot can be seen on the ground to the right of his "body" in scene from above.

The show needs a new "boss" Nidge-weasel just doesnt cut it. He was better as Johnboys bitch boy.

Personally I think he's a great character. While he's probably out of his depth now he's ruthless and vicious as well as cheeky and funny.
    Does anyone think they could attract some better known Irish actors to play stronger characters and maybe a top Garda?

I think they could have any Irish actor they want within reason. But better known doesn't mean 'better' if you follow.

It would be interesting if they brought the Gardai into it a lot more in the next series. That's a big shift in focus but the Wire (as you will see when you watch the box set) manages to move focus each season with considerable success.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

people comparing the wire to love/hate should be neutered!

i like love/hate and the wire, they should not be compared imo, but if you need to use the wire as a comparison/benchmark that cannot be faulted then you have a lame argument. the complexity of the characters and storylines in love/hate can stand on their own two feet and they dont need to be vindicated by another show doing similar. if some people cant be convinced unless american tv has done it first then you are wasting bandwith arguing with them

Personally I think he's a great character. While he's probably out of his depth now he's ruthless and vicious as well as cheeky and funny.

He is a great character but i think someone more head strong and would just tell the RA to do one.

I think they could have any Irish actor they want within reason. But better known doesn't mean 'better' if you follow.

Agreed.

It would be interesting if they brought the Gardai into it a lot more in the next series. That's a big shift in focus but the Wire (as you will see when you watch the box set) manages to move focus each season with considerable success.

Not even too much of the Garda in it but "top gansters" dont get pulled everyday by uniformed Garda. They need a Garda to harrass the lads and really be out to do them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Gilligan et al. were brought down by journalists making them celebrities. To mirror reality Nidge and the crew need to be harassed by a Veronica Guerin type figure. The CAB should be bought into play as well - the dole doesn't cover all those 4x4's. After an early morning gun battle in suburban Dublin, the press would be all over them. It wouldn't surprise me if episode one of season 4 opens in a newsroom or a garda incident room.

• Advertisement

Dempsey wrote: »
    people comparing the wire to love/hate should be neutered!

I was talking to one of the producers of Love/Hate (before I had even heard of the show) and they compared it to The Wire. It's the only reason I decided to watch it from the first episode and catch up with the current series.

You're right though, Love/Hate is good enough to stand on it's own two feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I have watched a few episodes from this programme. Not really as good as I was led to believe. Acting is a wee bit wooden for my liking. Ok, I have not followed it from the start but I was told it's fairly easy to catch onto. So, gave the last few episodes a watch. I won't be dying to see the next series.

BTW, with all the goings on in the last episode etc., where were the cops?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Stumpy shot Darren and tried to kill him after beating the **** out of the woman he loved. He didn't shoot Luke, but Luke was a total weirdo who refused to stop stalking his sister after Darren told him to. John Boy's brother killed Darren's brother and he always wanted to get him back. Ray... well he shot at him and was kidnapping Nidge.

The last two were total innocents and Darren killed them in cold blood, so yeah he got what he deserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

I was talking to one of the producers of Love/Hate (before I had even heard of the show) and they compared it to The Wire. It's the only reason I decided to watch it from the first episode and catch up with the current series.

You're right though, Love/Hate is good enough to stand on it's own two feet.

they were spoofing ya if they think l/h is anything like the wire. at the risk of being neutered, ill say the wire has a far bigger and more complexed scope on organised crime, politics and law enforcement. l/h rarely ventures beyond feuding gangs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭Hitchens

walshb wrote: »

BTW, with all the goings on in the last episode etc, where were the cops?
    Is there ever a Guard around when you need one? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭NedTermo

For those asking why Fran is doing all these things for Nidge, he got a loan off him in the first episode of the season.

Explained in this hilarious clip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKS75uWwSuQ

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

^^
    It also cements Nidge's "Couldn't give a fnck about anyone" attitude, since it was effectively entirely his doing that caused Linda to kill herself.

Hitchens wrote: »
    Is there ever a Guard around when you need one? :D

No but they all spring out at once when your driving in the bus lane....

Dempsey wrote: »
    they were spoofing ya if they think l/h is anything like the wire. at the risk of being neutered, ill say the wire has a far bigger and more complexed scope on organised crime, politics and law enforcement. l/h rarely ventures beyond feuding gangs

Well I don't think there's anything wrong with them saying that they're going to try and look at things in a way similar to The Wire. I doubt they were going around saying, "We're making a show and it's as good as The Wire."

Invariably it's hard to make a drama about drug gangs and police these days without someone raising the Wire comparison. In the same way if someone starts a Mob drama The Sopranos will be mentioned.

Or is someone makes a comedy about a housekeeper and some priests then Leave It To Mrs. O'Brien is the benchmark that everyone will measure it against! :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I can't really whinge about spoilers because I'm so late in getting around to watching beyond Season One of The Wire (moved in with the o/h whilst in the middle of Season 2 over five years ago and only have her convinced to watch it in the last couple of months) but I really wish I hadn't seen the Omar spoilers above. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement