Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Experts: Who is the central character? Seems to be Nidge. Is he the JR character of Love/Hate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

100% Nidge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

It changes. In series one, it would've been Darren. Series two was more John Boy-centric. Series three was all about Nidge (thank god, he was the highlight of series 2 too) and I'd imagine serie four will be too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

leggo wrote: »
    I'd imagine serie four will be too.

There's a good possibility of that alright, but I have a hunch that S4 will change direction somewhat and focus on the efforts of the guards to bring Nidge down. The reason i think that is because (I think it was in Ep 4 or 5 of this show), Stuart Carolan went out of his way to shock the audience by showing them what Nidge is really like.

Nige is definitely an anti-hero, if we didn't "know" him, we'd hate him. But because we've seen him crack jokes and look after people and we've seen behind the mask, from the point of view of the show, we're rooting for him and hoping he comes through his various scrapes - that's what you need in a drama.

However, when he was arrested by the guards, it would be have been easy for the writers to have him act as a cheeky chappy, in which case we would have been laughing at the way he strings the guards along. Instead, we saw a really viscous side to him as if the writers were saying "remember who the good guys are here".

Personally, I've a feeling S4 Ep1 will involve one of the girls - Debbie, Donna or Tommys missus going to the guards, and the focus will be on them [the guards] for the rest of it.

We've seen a change in the narrative style between S2 and S3 - S2 was "here's six months in the life of a drugs gang, with anything and everything happening" and S3 was "this is what happened when Nidge went up against the 'RA" - the latter being very much like the way The Wire works.

In S3, there was no extra storylines - we didn't see any plot details, events or relationships not directly related to the main storyline, except one - Debbie. I think she's going to be the pivot on which the storyline for S4 turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

My own prediction for S4 is for the introduction of an undercover cop in the gang with a new big name playing the rat. Basically the plot of Donnie Brasco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭Hitchens

tbh wrote: »
    Debbie. I think she's going to be the pivot on which the storyline for S4 turns.
    Hopefully, Debs is a hottie ...man, those eyes ...sigh :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

NedTermo wrote: »
    For those asking why Fran is doing all these things for Nidge, he got a loan off him in the first episode of the season.

Explained in this hilarious clip:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKS75uWwSuQ

I thought that when they buried Git they called it evens.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 187 ✭✭supackofidiots

just bought the boxset on rte. please God it comes before the 25th.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JohnboyMc

tbh wrote: »

Nige is definitely an anti-hero, if we didn't "know" him, we'd hate him. But because we've seen him crack jokes and look after people and we've seen behind the mask, from the point of view of the show, we're rooting for him and hoping he comes through his various scrapes - that's what you need in a drama.

Rooting for Nidge-weasel ? Na i wanted to see him get it, the slimy b4st4rd doing that on the Dazzler. I was chuffed when Darren survived Elmo's attempt and when he rang Nidge i was saying to meself nice one get him.

JohnboyMc wrote: »

Rooting for Nidge-weasel ? Na i wanted to see him get it, the slimy b4st4rd doing that on the Dazzler. I was chuffed when Darren survived Elmo's attempt and when he rang Nidge i was saying to meself nice one get him.

Yeah, in an ideal world Nidge and Darren would simultaneously kill each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Wasn't it meant to be ordered by the 17th for Xmas delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Quote:
    Originally Posted by supackofidiots viewpost.gif
    Neeson wrote: »
    Wasn't it meant to be ordered by the 17th for Xmas delivery?

Yep, I saw a comment on their page that orders after the 17th will be delivered in the new year.

I don't suppose the shops have it?

Is it worth waiting down the line for the boxset? €24 is cheap enough to be fair (€8 per series) as a starting price but does anyone think it will drop further? If im being honest id rather watch it down the line maybe closer to them repeating this series.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭colly_06

S1 Episode 1 & 2 up now on Hulu :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82,563 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

xzanti wrote: »
    Anyone have any joy getting the box set today?? I went into 2 HMV's to be told they hadn't arrived yet...

Looks like issue with HMV's credit rating http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2012/1218/world/aposlovehateapos-to-wipe-out-box-set-competition-217332.html
    However, the popular box set featuring all three series to date, which has a recommended retail price of €24.99, will not be available in HMV stores.

It is understood RTÉ is not supplying copies to HMV outlets due to its ongoing trading difficulties.

HMV warned last week that it was likely to breach loan agreements in the first half of 2013 in a move which could place the future of the chain under threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ABlur

Is it worth waiting down the line for the boxset? €24 is cheap enough to be fair (€8 per series) as a starting price but does anyone think it will drop further? If im being honest id rather watch it down the line maybe closer to them repeating this series.

Series 1 for €10 and series 2 for €12 in Heatons if anyone is desperate.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,448 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    My own prediction for S4 is for the introduction of an undercover cop in the gang with a new big name playing the rat. Basically the plot of Donnie Brasco.

My picks for the role would be Jack Reynor (What Richard Did) or Emmett Scanlan (Hollyoaks)

ABlur wrote: »

I got it last week in XTravision for 7.99. They didnt have s2 though so have to hit Heatons now because I am desperate

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    My picks for the role would be Jack Reynor (What Richard Did) or Emmett Scanlan (Hollyoaks)

Only one man for the job - Eanna McLiam (as seen in The Snapper tonight on TV3 co-incidentally)

http://www.naxosaudiobooks.com/eannamacliam.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭yurmothrintites

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

Emmett Scanlan would be brilliant in it.

They threw Seán McGinley into the show already so they might as well cast Brendan Gleesan for good measure too. They seem to be in every good Irish TV drama or film!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,448 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Source

FILMING for the fourth series of Love/Hate is expected to get underway early in the New Year.

It comes as figures for last Sunday’s final episode of the third season showed that almost one million viewers tuned in.

The season pulled an average audience of 953,000 but even more tuned in to see Darren’s assassination.

The production team and RTE bosses are currently finalising the details of series four – and an autumn broadcasting date is on the cards.

Commissioning Editor for RTE Drama, Jane Gogan said that although viewers were devastated that Robert Sheehan's character Darren won't return next year, it was important to stay true to the drama which was written by Stuart Carolan

“Stuart hasn't got a whit of sentimentality within him. It is a meticulously researched series,” she said.

“He brings a great and variable experience having come from current affairs. You can't be sentimental when you go into any kind of drama.”

Ms Gogan said that the secret to the success was from those behind the scenes.

“It comes from the hard work, immense creativity and ingenuity of the many people involved throughout this production led by (writer) Stuart Carolan, James Flynn, Suzanne McAuley, Steve Matthews and David Caffrey,” she said.

“A superb cast, brilliant writing and direction under the umbrella of good producing has brought a deep connection with the audience for the last six weeks.”

The drama has now been sold to Scotland, Australia, South Korea, Singapore, parts of Asia and recently the US.

“It is incredibly important for us to get our shows outside Ireland – we want them to be available for the diaspora but also a much wider audience,” Ms Gogan said.

“With Love/Hate you are laying down a marker, it is widely talked about in the television circle and people very aware of Love/Hate at this stage.”

Writer and creator Stuart Carolan said that he was blown away that the Irish public has “come on this journey” in such numbers.

“From Clondalkin to Caherciveen they've stayed with us and this is because of world class Irish actors like Tom Vaughan Lawlor and Robert Sheehan,” he said.

“Tom Vaughan Lawlor as Nidge has created this fiendish monster that is the Nidge Weasel and made him his own.

“Robert Sheehan is a young actor who brought such a special and unique charisma to Darren.

“It was hugely difficult to say goodbye to him and I understand the audience's loss at his demise.”

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Easons dundrum were selling the boxsets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Quote:
    Originally Posted by supackofidiots viewpost.gif

Yep, I saw a comment on their page that orders after the 17th will be delivered in the new year.

I don't suppose the shops have it?
    Tesco Dundrum had it today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

ThisRegard wrote: »
    But did you dead lock it? It's usually two twists of the key, or a double click on the fob? Maybe it just doesn't have it or works differently.

Tried double clicking this morning, same result, door opened easily. Maybe it does work different or doesn't have it, I dunno. Just thought I'd follow up, not labouring the point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

So! It's over! And the deeply hoodied Dazzler has been taken out by his so- obvious soul sister Lizzie to the total confusion of everyone else in L/H land. Well, we didn't expect it, and we were all sooo ahead of the game in this thread, that if anyone cudda, then we shudda!

Bottom line, no matter how hard, and the thousands of us who got involved, tried, we failed to beat Mr Stuart Carolan's trickery!

Its not TVL, not Sheehan, not Lizzie and her so- well placed pair of bullets, not the Real or Otherwise RA, not the Luas, not the Gardai, not the Kalashnikov that so riddled the car that held Nidge the Weasel so closely, It's not Trish, not the Plaza (****in Kip of an Hotel) not the Mercedes van; not his Dogs,not his JCB, not his mountain, and most importantly not the Self that is Fran the Freakin Psycho,

It's not Ruth Negga of the 15AA chest, not Darren's sister Mary, not the lunatic that throttled the Swans, and not all the others that have been the presence of L/H for the past 3 years.

Actually, it all about the creation of Mr Carolan, who created it; everything else came after and simply earned buck off Mr Carolan's creation.

Simply put: Well done Mr Carolan..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

RainyDay wrote: »
    Tesco Dundrum had it today

Just got one in Tower Records in Easons O Connell street. That's O Connell street Dublin before anyone points out there's more than one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Can the dickheads spoiling the wire left right and center stop, some of us haven't watched it all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

ABlur wrote: »

Heatons in Charlestown, Finglas had all three yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Frere Jacques

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    So! It's over! And the deeply hoodied Dazzler has been taken out by his so- obvious soul sister Lizzie to the total confusion of everyone else in L/H land. Well, we didn't expect it, and we were all sooo ahead of the game in this thread, that if anyone cudda, then we shudda!

Bottom line, no matter how hard, and the thousands of us who got involved, tried, we failed to beat Mr Stuart Carolan's trickery!

Its not TVL, not Sheehan, not Lizzie and her so- well placed pair of bullets, not the Real or Otherwise RA, not the Luas, not the Gardai, not the Kalashnikov that so riddled the car that held Nidge the Weasel so closely, It's not Trish, not the Plaza (****in Kip of an Hotel) not the Mercedes van; not his Dogs,not his JCB, not his mountain, and most importantly not the Self that is Fran the Freakin Psycho,

It's not Ruth Negga of the 15AA chest, not Darren's sister Mary, not the lunatic that throttled the Swans, and not all the others that have been the presence of L/H for the past 3 years.

Actually, it all about the creation of Mr Carolan, who created it; everything else came after and simply earned buck off Mr Carolan's creation.

Simply put: Well done Mr Carolan..

Agreed.
    it was called Love Hate and Nidge's breakdown near the end, Lizzie knocking off Darren, Darren's caring attitude to Anto.
    It was all love hate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Can the dickheads spoiling the wire left right and center stop, some of us haven't watched it all

I wouldn't have put it so bluntly, but it's a fair point.
    For any Wire related spoilers, please show some common sense and use spoiler tags, thanks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement