Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Is the Wire really all that good compared to L/H?

I'd probably go for the boxed set in the New Year if it was. Would it be dated at this stage - early season episodes I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

If ya go near them Nidgey, ya wont be comin back..

Best line of the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭thiarfearr

No way Darren is coming back after a shot to the head. If he does appear it'll either be in flashbacks, or they do something mad like a prequel of how they all got involved in crime, or showing the previous 3 series from the point of the guards, which I don't see happening either

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

thiarfearr wrote: »
    ......or showing the previous 3 series from the point of the guards, which I don't see happening either

Now that would be really interesting, but yeah, unlikely I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Hitchens wrote: »

I'd probably go for the boxed set in the New Year if it was. Would it be dated at this stage - early season episodes I mean?

Even though they are centred around organised crime, you are comparing apples and oranges if you ask me. L/H is a solid program about a drug gang in Dublin. The Wire is one of the universal benchmarks for TV dramas never mind TV dramas about organised crime/law enforcement.

The wire would be dated in terms of the police procedures/surveillance techniques used and what gangs use to get around the police (i.e. the advent of the mobile phone) but that didnt bother me when I watched it (saw it years after its first run) because that theme is still revelant. Gangs are using new methods to avoid detection, it shows cops trying to keep up. Its an excellent character driven tv drama and there is alot of sociopolitical themes which sets it apart from the crowd, imo

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

not yet wrote: »
    If ya go near them Nidgey, ya wont be comin back..

Best line of the series.

Really???? I thought Frans line to Donna, ''ill give you another lash if your lucky'' was by far the best:D

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Q_ueeny

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Really???? I thought Frans line to Donna, ''ill give you another lash if your lucky'' was by far the best:D

Really??!

I love 'your hair will grow back , your face wont!'

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

leonidas83 wrote: »

Yeah, but look at the menace in the statement and he makes it sound so fcuking funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

Finally got to see it last night although the outcome was given away by many fecking facebook status's. I would say that this was a superb episode on par with the opening one. Fantastic tension for the "Nidge goes to Dundalk" section. One would have to admire the daring and intelligence of Nidge, knowing how important he was to their supplies and how Dano is really just a mad dog who's leash can be tightened. It took balls despite Frans constant recommendations to Nidge to split, he never faulted.

The episode really protrayed the ruthlessness and cold-hearted nature of gang-life. Aido who clearly bonds with Darren over this series betrays him and does so with ease by casually chatting with him on the way to the drop-off. Elmo was spared on 3 occasions by Darren and forgiven for 2 attempts on Darrens life caused by Elmo, he doesn't not show the slightest hesitation in his actions, though completely incompetent i'm convince Elmo would burn himself making a cup of tea. Nidge recently rescued by Darren and with history, although upset still doesnt call off the hit. McGingley also couldn't give a damn about Git death or Dano's feelings.

The only loyalty in the show was shown by Lizzie who choose to avenge her brother and kill the only man who showed kindness and was clearly infatuated with previous. It was Darrens loyalty to Nidge that got him killed. Perhaps suggesting that family loyalty runs alot deeper than drug gangs and terrorist cells

They seemed to let Debbie storyline unfinished this series, a shot of her on the street would have been welcomed, the only flaw really.

Darrens demise was evident throughout the series. Rosie and his sister were what kept him on the level without them he descends into a world of death and lonliness becoming what Rosie feared he would be. The guy who doesn't have to heart to kill anyone in series 1 shows no hesitation in crushing Gits head, the night he kills Elmos cousin and wife he sleeps soundly alone before becoming a no-man living with various characters and unable to connect with anyone apart from Lizzie whom he eventually hurts with his destructive actions. He pushed away and lost anyone who ever truly cared for him until all he was surrounded with were his gang buddies.

Fantastic series, fantastic finish and looking forward to the next series and some more new characters. Would love to see a hard nose detective rattle a few cages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Some say the Debbie storyline was just forgotten about in the final episode - I dont think so. She had been talking to her mother the previous week about going on to a Budist detox camp in India.

Not exactly what you would call a cliffhanger for next series, but her story is still in some doubt at least- ODing as a street hooker is not the only possible outcome for her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Some say the Debbie storyline was just forgotten about in the final episode - I dont think so. She had been talking to her mother the previous week about going on to a Budist detox camp in India.

Not exactly what you would call a cliffhanger for next series, but her story is still in some doubt at least- ODing as a street hooker is not the only possible outcome for her.

No offence but I don't think even her mother bought her detox camp in India story before being proved right when her purse was stolen.

Debbie went there for money and once she saw her opportunity she was gone again, I reckon the writers just ran out of time to finish her story this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Debbie is basically totally reliant on Tommy as a character in reality. The main focus of the last episode was tying up the loose ends between Nidge, Darren and the RA.

Debbie's situation was pretty much summed up in the previous episode. With Tommy in a coma, there's not much more to be said for her since she didn't interact with the rest of them in any meaningful way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

RoryMac wrote: »
    No offence but I don't think even her mother bought her detox camp in India story before being proved right when her purse was stolen.

Debbie went there for money and once she saw her opportunity she was gone again, I reckon the writers just ran out of time to finish her story this season.

Meh - based on the overall quality of the show I'd give them a bit more credit than that.

If she did waltz in at the begining of series 4, all cleaned up - maybe after India or jail say - and now managing the Brasser for Nidge - would that not be an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    Meh - based on the overall quality of the show I'd give them a bit more credit than that.

If she did waltz in at the begining of series 4, all cleaned up - maybe after India or jail say - and now managing the Brasser for Nidge - would that not be an option?

You're right maybe I didn't give the writers enough credit but I'd agree with Seamus that there is not really much more to her character at the moment, she is a junkie and her only concern is getting money to pay for drugs. In the scene with her mother it was mentioned how she needed to re-build trust with her father before she would be getting any more money so I can see how she'll be affording detox any time some.

Next season I think we will just see her continue the spiral downwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JohnboyMc

not yet wrote: »

Yeah, but look at the menace in the statement and he makes it sound so fcuking funny.

Best line for me, Darren on phone at the end, "i'll tell ye what the story is Nidgey, you tried to have me clipped and ye missed"

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cobratom

Has anyone bought the box-set? Does it come with subtitles? While I can catch about 80% of what is said, I have to spend the first 15 minutes training my ear to the accents when it's on the telly. Subs would be massive help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Best line was Nidge to Donna "yeh nosey geebag".

• Registered Users Posts: 55,639 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Nidge hospitalised Tommy. Can someone explain the details surrounding this? Why it happened?

Q_ueeny wrote: »
    Really??!

I love 'your hair will grow back , your face wont!'

:D

He has some cracking lines but the winner is

'Ive a bone to pick with you Deano, this is a very serious matter' while he was wagging the remains of Gits finger.

My sides split :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

walshb wrote: »
    Nidge hospitalised Tommy. Can someone explain the details surrounding this? Why it happened?

He found out Tommy had slept with the RA mans wife.
    Why it happened? Nidge is a psycho.

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »

Nidge was already pissed off with Tommy as Tommy killed Git and instead of keeping Siobhan happy he was off riding Debbie in the brothel.

Nidge was mad to ride Dano's wife, Georgina but Tommy succeeded where Nidge wasnt going to so Nidge battering the snot out of Tommy was down to jealously as opposed to Tommy potentially putting them 'furdarr in the shi'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

Best line was Nidge to Donna "yeh nosey geebag".

I think the best line in it was from season 2 when Nidge was telling Darren to kill the strange fella he befriended 'he'll come back straight around to your sisters and he'll have her dead in the bed, you know this' or words to that effect :D

JohnboyMc wrote: »
    Rooting for Nidge-weasel ? Na i wanted to see him get it, the slimy b4st4rd doing that on the Dazzler. I was chuffed when Darren survived Elmo's attempt and when he rang Nidge i was saying to meself nice one get him.

I think its not so much rooting but people want Tom Vaughan Lawlor to remain in the show as long as possible as he is terrific. Like every villain though part of you wants to see him taken down and thats the sign of a true portrayal of a villain. You see that nasty side to him and you want him to pay the price.

Though im glad Vaughan Lawlor is staying on. He has stole the show alongside Fran (Peter Coonan) in my opinion.

Cant say i heard of him or Peter Coonan unlike Aiden Gillen before 2010 (tbh i hadnt heard of Sheehan either despite his growing portfolio at the time i just hadnt seen him in anything)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Would LOVE a prequel episode!

Showing how John Boy and his brother got set up in the drug game, more of Darrens brother, how Nidge and Tommy and all them met up.

If only....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

If you watched The Wire you would realize why I literally let out a giggle at that question.

Yes, The Wire is just a tad bit better than L/H.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Nidge was already pissed off with Tommy as Tommy killed Git and instead of keeping Siobhan happy he was off riding Debbie in the brothel.

'

wasn't it Darren that killed Git (or Gih)? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Q_ueeny

wasn't it Darren that killed Git (or Gih)? :)

Tommy Broke his neck and Darren finished him off.

'I was only putting him out of his misery is all Nidge' were his words I believe! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Ok bizarre question, but does anyone think with the recent introduction of the Nidge baldness storyline and him looking up hair transplants on the net, they're paving the way for Tom Vaughan Lawlor getting a hair transplant in real life?

Perhaps it was the only way to explain Nidge appearing in Series 4, Episode 1, with a head of hair to rival his fellow gandland criminal, Gerry Hutch (aka The Monk)

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭meath12

yeah i thought the best line was nidge saying to donna 'i'll personally spray paint your face with acid'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Ok bizarre question, but does anyone think with the recent introduction of the Nidge baldness storyline and him looking up hair transplants on the net, they're paving the way for Tom Vaughan Lawlor getting a hair transplant in real life?

Perhaps it was the only way to explain Nidge appearing in Series 4, Episode 1, with a head of hair to rival his fellow gandland criminal, Gerry Hutch (aka The Monk)

Nidge has always been a narcissist. He changes clothes in every scene and this is also pointed out in some episodes from the earlier series. The last series he was worried about genital warts. He always has some bodily issue that concerns him deeply rather than the more pressing issues such as putting his friend into a coma for sleeping with someone. Hes a narcissistic psycho and he admitted that twice in the show already.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement