Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

kryogen wrote: »
    FFS? calm down lad, look before you post possibly?

The poster asked is The Wire as good as Love/Hate or something to that effect, what other way would you deem acceptable for me to answer that question?

Here is his direct question

what the **** else should I answer it with if not an opinion on The Wire, get over it.

Granted i shouldnt have aimed the response at you but rather maybe the person who posed the question to you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

guys does anyone know anywhere i can pick up a box set they seemed to be sold out :(

Lots of them in Golden Discs in Nutgrove also.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭closeline

Any chance Darren will be in a hospital bed at the start of Series 4 fightinf for his life rather than in a coffin...Hopefully he will be alive.

closeline wrote: »
    Any chance Darren will be in a hospital bed at the start of Series 4 fightinf for his life rather than in a coffin...Hopefully he will be alive.

No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Why hasn't RTE released the show on blu ray ? This is the 21th century ffs.

I stopped buying DVDs years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Jumboman wrote: »

Hipster Alert!!! :cool: (<---there shouldnt be any lenses in those glasses)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JohnboyMc

Jumboman wrote: »

Good point. I always wondered why they didnt show it on RTE 2, at least then it could be shown in HD on Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Anyone else here Tom VL on Ian Dempsey this morning?

I knew he was a southsider and i'd heard him in interviews before but my god he really is posh! Makes him an brilliant actor in my book.

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Anyone else here Tom VL on Ian Dempsey this morning?

I knew he was a southsider and i'd heard him in interviews before but my god he really is posh! Makes him an brilliant actor in my book.

Here it is:

http://media.todayfm.com/podcasts/popup

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

el diablo wrote: »

Its at the end of the second part. Posh Nidge Weasel. If Johnboy heard that accent, there'd be consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Its at the end of the second part. Posh Nidge Weasel. If Johnboy heard that accent, there'd be consequences.

some difference.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEeiAOHXqVw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Ah that's just wrong that is. Not right at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

There's a 'DVD box set' looking yoke under the Crimbo Tree with me name on it, hoping it's 'L/H'.

On the thread of favourite lines, mine is in episode 3, season 3 (I think),
    where there's a close up of Fran telling Nige (with that slight lisp thing he has going on there) "He's ten feet down, nobody'th gonna find him, you're gettin' paranoid".

closeline wrote: »

Unless he comes back as Robocop ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

I watched the first series a few days ago. I watched it all in one sitting as i was waiting for it to pick, i found it really poor to be honest.

Are series 2 and 3 better than the first?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭trashcan

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    I watched the first series a few days ago. I watched it all in one sitting as i was waiting for it to pick, i found it really poor to be honest.

Yeah, I'd say they definitely are. I remember not being overly impressed with the first series. Series two was definitely an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 goldensyrup

was it nidge that told darren to kill john boy? I never understood what was going on there:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

trashcan wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd say they definitely are. I remember not being overly impressed with the first series. Series two was definitely an improvement.

Ok thanks alot.

I keep hearing great things about this so dont want to give up because of 4 episodes. Ill continue with the 2nd series!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

was it nidge that told darren to kill john boy? I never understood what was going on there:confused:

Yeah there is a scene where they are discussing it, you think they are talking about killing Aido but they're on about John Boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 goldensyrup

Holsten wrote: »
    Yeah there is a scene where they are discussing it, you think they are talking about killing Aido but they're on about John Boy.

Ah right. I'll have to re-watch that episode:)
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭s8n

phrage wrote: »
    the accents are utter rubbish. they sounds like nice middle class boys failing to master inner city and working class accents which, of course, is what they are.

low quality scripts, poor camerawork, and an overall lack of focus mean i will be unlikely to watch again

I'm sure they will miss you !!!

realies wrote: »
    IMO the only thing missing from the series is the tough detectives on the Gangs trails,You know the one,s who take no crap from anyone.They do exist.

The thing is though Realies, the legal framework in Ireland stifles the Gardaí and helps the criminals if anything. The likes of Nidge could spit in a detectives face and walk out a free man later on but if she retaliated her badge would probably be taken from her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Tom_Cruise wrote: »

All 3 seasons were very good, but if you didn't like season 1, I don't think you'll like season 2 or 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Just watching the last episode again, was that the young fella from The Butcher Boy tying Nidge up in the van and then giving him the water?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

It t'was

All 3 seasons were very good, but if you didn't like season 1, I don't think you'll like season 2 or 3.

I disagree. thing is about love/hate it got better as it went along and i would think at this stage the majority started to follow at S3 and watched back. 400k average watched s1, 600lk watched s2 while 1m watched s3 so i would think that in that case very few tuned in by watching s1 first. s3 was definately more talked about

I think there's night and day difference between the first series and the next two. From talking to someone involved in the show, I got the impression that in the first series they played it a bit safe. By the third series they were pushing the boat out and including scenes that they weren't sure whether RTE would approve to be shown on Irish TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,335 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Basil3 wrote: »
    I think there's night and day difference between the first series and the next two. From talking to someone involved in the show, I got the impression that in the first series they played it a bit safe. By the third series they were pushing the boat out and including scenes that they weren't sure whether RTE would approve to be shown on Irish TV.

+1. I watched the first two series in two evenings after having seen the first episode of S3 - and there's just no comparison between S1 and S2/3. Safe is exactly how I'd have described it as well - and slightly stilted and a bit self-conscious.

in fact, I wonder if that might be a problem with selling on the whole lot - getting people to stick through Series 1 for the sake of getting the start of the whole story/context until the incomparably better Series 2&3!

In the first few minutes of Season 1 you have both Robert Sheehan and Chris Newman and neither dont fit that gangland image. If anyone stood out in Series 1 it was Hughie played by Brian Gleeson. He had people on the edge and he came out with one or two brilliant lines himself.

"Some little Lewis Hamilton with a cushion under him came flying around the corner. I tell ya i was gone. if they had to put a saddle on me id have won the grand national":D

The only episode that was any way good in Series 1 was the finale. Epic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

If anyone stood out in Series 1 it was Hughie played by Brian Gleeson. He had people on the edge and he came out with one or two brilliant lines himself.

YES! I'm unfortunate enough to have known a few of these types in my time, and Hughie was an exact replica of one: he had the mannerisms, quirks and reactions to different events down to the last flicker of an eyelid.

If anyone ever says that Love/Hate isn't true to life, he's my first example. I've known a Hughie (I just wish he'd go and shoot himself in the face like Hughie did).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement