Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

kfallon wrote: »
    Just watching the last episode again, was that the young fella from The Butcher Boy tying Nidge up in the van and then giving him the water?

Yup. Eamonn Owens.

Yup. Eamonn Owens.

He'd be a great addition if he was made more integral to the next series imo. He is a psycho in nearly everything you'd see him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

leggo wrote: »
    YES! I'm unfortunate enough to have known a few of these types in my time, and Hughie was an exact replica of one: he had the mannerisms, quirks and reactions to different events down to the last flicker of an eyelid.

If anyone ever says that Love/Hate isn't true to life, he's my first example. I've known a Hughie (I just wish he'd go and shoot himself in the face like Hughie did).

I thought the same thing about Hughie, his character was spot on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Hughie was excellent, I don't really get all the hate toward season 1, sure of course it wasn't perfect, but it was a good start, none of the seasons have been blow your mind brilliant in all honesty. I would hope that the next season introduces another big gangstar either as a partner or a rival to nidge, because as much as I enjoy his character he is just not great ad the top dog. John boy was far better in that role

kryogen wrote: »
    Hughie was excellent, I don't really get all the hate toward season 1, sure of course it wasn't perfect, but it was a good start, none of the seasons have been blow your mind brilliant in all honesty. I would hope that the next season introduces another big gangstar either as a partner or a rival to nidge, because as much as I enjoy his character he is just not great ad the top dog. John boy was far better in that role

But if you look at the amount of bosses that were gunned down it makes sense that some people like Nidge who rise to the top realise soon that the view is never nice from such a height.

Eamon Dunne, Eamon Kelly, Marlo Hyland, the General, Alan Ryan....all had chinks in the armour and all eyes were watching them to make one wrong move. Nidge in many ways is a control freak trying to stay on top of the situation in any way he can but he is realising not everything is in his control. John Boy was a different personality very relaxed and in his comfort zone and that perhaps was his downfall. I cant see it happening but Nidge could also last longer then John Boy as a boss as he is willing to hang all round him whereas John Boy would front it out

• Advertisement

They say a good show always leaves you wanting more and at half 9 tonight i pined for Love/Hate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

But if you look at the amount of bosses that were gunned down it makes sense that some people like Nidge who rise to the top realise soon that the view is never nice from such a height.

Eamon Dunne, Eamon Kelly, Marlo Hyland, the General, Alan Ryan....all had chinks in the armour and all eyes were watching them to make one wrong move. Nidge in many ways is a control freak trying to stay on top of the situation in any way he can but he is realising not everything is in his control. John Boy was a different personality very relaxed and in his comfort zone and that perhaps was his downfall. I cant see it happening but Nidge could also last longer then John Boy as a boss as he is willing to hang all round him whereas John Boy would front it out

Doesn't take away from my opinion that Nidge is not as interesting in the boss role and having someone else to take on that mantle would free him up a bit more to be the Nidge weasel we all know and love (for the most part)

Can't decide whether its more likely he is killed by Fran or Tommy next season, probably Fran I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Can't decide whether its more likely he is killed by Fran or Tommy next season, probably Fran I guess.
    If Tommy recovers without brain damage from the beating that was portrayed, it would be stretching credibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Hitchens wrote: »
    If Tommy recovers without brain damage from the beating that was portrayed, it would be stretching credibility.

Stranger things have happened in real life. Are you an expert on brain injury? :p It is certainly more credible than Darren recovering from three shots to the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JohnboyMc

Rasmus wrote: »

Stranger things have happened in real life. Are you an expert on brain injury? :p It is certainly more credible than Darren recovering from three shots to the head.

I agree and i think Tommy will make a full recovery. As for Darren that would be stretching credibility. It was only the 1 shot to the head though, but still not surviveable 90% of the time.

• Advertisement

JohnboyMc wrote: »
    I agree and i think Tommy will make a full recovery. As for Darren that would be stretching credibility. It was only the 1 shot to the head though, but still not surviveable 90% of the time.

You're right, it wasn't three. I think two though, unless the second shot was for good measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

I was waiting all season for Fran to double-cross Nidge or try to pull some sort of stroke on him and.............nada.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

Was this not on last night, I can't find it on on demand?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I really hope Darren is dead. The casting crew should also be shot in the head for having him in it in the first place. The guy was too good looking and too well spoken to come across as a scumbag/gangster.

As for the likes of Fran and the IRA chick, they were totally believable. And the rest of the cast in fairness. Love/Hate is the greatest thing this country has ever produced. Feckin brilliant (except for Robert Sheehan).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,335 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

colly10 wrote: »
    Was this not on last night, I can't find it on on demand?

You're a week too late! Last episode of Series 3 was last Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭colly10

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    You're a week too late! Last episode of Series 3 was last Sunday.

Thanks, caught that epidode but didn't know it was the last one

• Registered Users Posts: 11 shutz

So can anyone make out who shot Darren? I had it paused, definitely female.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

shutz wrote: »

Lizzy. Shaved head.

Neeson wrote: »
    Lizzy. Shaved head.

Thanks, I suspected that but I didn't think it looked like her.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭lmao

<Ollie> wrote: »
    I really hope Darren is dead. The casting crew should also be shot in the head for having him in it in the first place. The guy was too good looking and too well spoken to come across as a scumbag/gangster.

As for the likes of Fran and the IRA chick, they were totally believable. And the rest of the cast in fairness. Love/Hate is the greatest thing this country has ever produced. Feckin brilliant (except for Robert Sheehan).

Absolutely spot on!! I just couldn't find his character believable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I didn't in the first season but he really grew on me throughout 2 and was brilliant in 3.

As soon as they cut out the Rosie crap he was much better, I'll miss Dazzler just like I missed John Boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

tEoWx.png

Well she had motive. :pac:

She was quite striking with the new haircut and all made up.

Rasmus wrote: »

Technically speaking he(Darren) must have only been graised because if he was hit anyway square in the back of the head it would have blown his face off:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I think we're all a little shocked as how RTE (or Ireland) produced something this good. Me included.

But why shouldn't we be producing great dramas? Denmark did it with The Killing, an insanely brilliant drama. BBC even bought the rights, and FOX studios in America copied it with their own English speaking version. Season 1 was 20 episodes long and season 2 & 3 had 10 episodes each. Pity Love/Hate was so short. They also produced Borgen. Denmark is roughly the same size as Ireland.

Another example is The Bridge from Sweden.

Maybe this is the wake-up call RTE needs. The most watched thing ever on here with huge ratings and DVD sales. It had violence, sex, drugs, bad language etc. You can have all of that when the cast, plot/story line and script are this good. RTE might now think this is the way forward, instead of pumping money into the likes Mattie with Pat Shortt (that's just embarrassing), or Fair City. The licence fee might be worth paying for then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Hey, go easy. My grandmother was in Mattie.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Hey, go easy. My grandmother was in Mattie.

Even she'd probably admit that it was bleedin' brutal.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

Donna (after Fran paid her another visit).

• Site Banned Posts: 240 ✭✭Nervous Nigel

Don't thank RTE for Love/Hate...thank me.

I was one of the Section 481 investors!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Don't thank RTE for Love/Hate...thank me.

I was one of the Section 481 investors!

Plus, you are one of the main characters.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement