Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Tommy should have brain damage, lets be honest, he should be dead, but he wont be. Its tv and the show has already lost Darren, can't imagine it giving up two of its lead characters so easily.

Darren just didn't work out, possibly due to the actor, I get the thinking behind the character, he was set up to be a Michael Corleone type guy, good to begin with and trys to do the right things but gets progressively darker and more corrupted the longer the show goes on. I don't accept that Robert Sheehan was too pretty to play him, it needed a fresh faced actor to take on that role, just a better actor would have been nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I liked Darren

shutz wrote: »

Technically speaking he(Darren) must have only been graised because if he was hit anyway square in the back of the head it would have blown his face off:D
    Blood shot out the front of his hoodie but his face was clean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

so I went online to watch Love Hate, as I dont get the chance to watch it when it is on and Ive heard everyone talk about it. It seems I cant watch it online. RTE have pulled it from RTE Player and there are only some 2 minute clips on Youtube. So why is it not available online? Can anyone tell me is it really that good or is it just another Sopranos?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭kildaremum

I would say its gone from rte player because its out on dvd. The box set of the 3 series flew out of the shops

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

I see, good luck to them in that case

so I went online to watch Love Hate, as I dont get the chance to watch it when it is on and Ive heard everyone talk about it. It seems I cant watch it online. RTE have pulled it from RTE Player and there are only some 2 minute clips on Youtube. So why is it not available online? Can anyone tell me is it really that good or is it just another Sopranos?
    You wouldn't like it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Just another Sopranos? Jaysus, if it could be 'just another' one of the best TV dramas of all-time it'd be doing well. How high are your standards?!? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

The problem with Robert Sheehan wasn't that he was pretty, per se, but that he was (a) pretty (b) looked around 12 and (c) had all the menace of a cross Teletubby.

I don't see Love/Hate as a landmark series - one where everything came together and gave Irish TV an international proflle, like some of the Scandinavian dramas. But it is a definite progression in a number of ways, the production values in particular. The writing is frankly ropey at times - Stuart Carolan is a fine writer, but you get the feeling he doesn't have much of a handle on how inner city scallywags talk and interact - and the casting confirms a suspicion that the pool of acting talent that remains in Ireland isn't that deep.

But it's probably more important that RTE themselves started to grow up over the 3 (very short) seasons. I remember talking to someone who worked on the execrable 'Extra! Extra! Read All About It!' and apparently the show was conceived as an Irish 'Drop The Dead Donkey'. Each week, in would come the topical jokes and each week someone high up would put a pencil through anything that was likely to offend or court controversy. The result was 'Drop The Dead Donkey' without any jokes in it.

Love/Hate started off in season one with the most polite, non-sweary drug dealers ever seen by man. But by the second season, there was plenty of drug-taking, shagging, violence and off-colour language. Not that that's what makes a successful drama, but you'd imagine they'd all be part of a successful drama about, well, drug dealers.

RTE is now where Channel 4 was about 30 years ago; a feeling of a new-found freedom to be a bit racy and controversial, and perhaps trying a bit too hard in pursuit of it. Please God they'll get over the Irish TV and fillum fascination with gangsters and RTE will produce a show that looks at ordinary Irish life with a bit of perception and wit - think Community, Parks & Recreation, Modern Family etc., etc.

In the meantime, it's still the best thing on Irish telly and I still want to see what happens next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

started watching my boxset yday...never knew nidge was siobhans uncle :O

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

started watching my boxset yday...never knew nidge was siobhans uncle :O

what ?

• Site Banned Posts: 240 ✭✭Nervous Nigel

A V A wrote: »

what ?

Not really referred to in the third series, so anyone who came late to the party probably wouldn't know that...

Yeah see nidges wedding in s1 for Siobhans entrance, as well as a surprising dance sequence!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

Not really referred to in the third series, so anyone who came late to the party probably wouldn't know that...

in real life or in love/hate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

A V A wrote: »

in real life or in love/hate
    Only in love hate

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

Don't thank RTE for Love/Hate...thank me.

I was one of the Section 481 investors!

RTÉ's contribution of €2.7M versus various S481 benificaries contribution of €700K. I know who i'd be thanking.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

no guarantee Darren is dead is there?

he ended season one being shot, it could happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭wicklowwonder

He is in today's Indo saying he is gone anyway.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/independent-woman/celebrity-news-gossip/i-shed-tears-for-lovehates-darren-admits-tv-heartthrob-sheehan-3337783.html

Ah jaysus it wasnt Terminator :D

Was just thinking there Lizzy was such a clinical assassin but then i remembered she carried a weapon on the bus before herself and Darren went to kill the couple so she probably used Dublin Bus as her get away again maybe the Luas :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Knockout_91

No guarantee Darren is dead?

He was shot in the head, twice lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Not a hope he's still alive...through and through to the head. First shot alone would have killed him...hit at almost the worst possible angle, his entry wound was at 5 o'clock, exit at about 11. If it had been a glancing shot maybe. He's dead people....accept it:pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 240 ✭✭Nervous Nigel

Zero chance that the Dazzler is still alive...nuts that people are even suggesting it.

Equally nuts to see people questioning whether Lizzie was the assassin.

Bring on Season IV...

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Stiltzkin

People saying darren is still alive.. sigh. He was already shot in series 1 with two or three bullets. It was revealed in series 2 that he only has one lung now. Then he gets shot twice in the head in series 3. He is well dead now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭Hitchens

Stiltzkin wrote: »
    People saying darren is still alive.. sigh. He was already shot in series 1 with two or three bullets. It was revealed in series 2 that he only has one lung now. Then he gets shot twice in the head in series 3. He is well dead now.

yeah, but don't forget the Viper has been shot umpteen times as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Hitchens wrote: »

Darren is worse than dead. He's out of contract. There's no coming back from that.

There is a theory out there that the Viper had enough muscle mass to protect his vital organs :) More than likely BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Darren could be the L/H equivalent of 2Pac: he's been shot 5 times but he's still breathing (well, he was when he wrote that lyric). He could return in Series 4 as 2Daz for an eastside vs westside (Dublin) rivalry: 2Daz vs Nidgey.

Or he's just dead and moving onto other acting ventures, whatever...

There is a theory out there that the Viper had enough muscle mass to protect his vital organs :) More than likely BS.

Scrap my theory actually id say they might have got the real life equivalent of Aido and Elmo to finish the Viper off. Probably 13 bullets varying between the arms and arse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭latenia

Classic Fran the Man copping a sly boob feel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Tom_Cruise wrote: »
    I watched the first series a few days ago. I watched it all in one sitting as i was waiting for it to pick, i found it really poor to be honest.

Are series 2 and 3 better than the first?

No. I watched the 3 this week and im still wandering what i actually watched.
    The only thing for me in season 3 is that i have drank in the place where they use as their club/shabeen :).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement