Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭markbld65

just watched seriers 1-2-3 over chrismas and seen the last episode tonight great show

was mad into breaking bad but lovehate is imo way better, cant wait for season 4

just to note seen its becoming more popular eg the series my young'est is the spit of darren lol even the place he got his hair cut last week said he could be his twin brother , i wonder could darren have a secret little brother to avenge his shooting lol

jammy little git lol

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭markbld65

just watched seriers 1-2-3 over chrismas and seen the last episode tonight great show

was mad into breaking bad but lovehate is imo way better, cant wait for season 4

just to note seen its becoming more popular eg the series my young'est is the spit of darren lol even the place he got his hair cut last week said he could be his twin brother , i wonder could darren have a secret little brother to avenge his shooting lol

jammy little git lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

locked wrote: »
    just watching season one and two,, john boy is a big loss. for me programme was alot better with him.

Same here, he still is my favorite character, him and Franno.

I feel they killed off Hughie way too quick too.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Stooped

Holsten wrote: »
    Same here, he still is my favorite character, him and Franno.

I feel they killed off Hughie way too quick too.

I hated Hughie's guts. He got what was coming to him the spanner. I didn't really feel bad about John Boy dying because he was getting psycho. They didn't dwell on it a lot either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

Anyone know where I can get season 1?

Online would be preferred.. RTE are useless :(

/NOT looking for any illegal methods

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

markbld65 wrote: »

:eek:

Jaysis, Love/Hate is good, and probably the best thing RTE have ever had a hand in (Glenroe & Reeling In The Years notwithstanding), but on a par with the top echelons of the big hitter American shows it is not.

markbld65 wrote: »

jammy little git lo
    l

Jammie li'il Gih you mean ;)

Stooped wrote: »
    I hated Hughie's guts. He got what was coming to him the spanner. I didn't really feel bad about John Boy dying because he was getting psycho. They didn't dwell on it a lot either.

Brian Gleeson had it nailed. He kept S1 going on his own imo. Had he not been as unpredicable and volatile the show could have been well doomed to failure imo.
    Nidge wasnt as central to the plot in S1 so therefore didnt have as much impact despite the odd funny moment.

Hughie wasnt as funny as Fran or Nidge despite one or two good lines. Truth is he was absolutely despicable and thats the sign of a real villain. He probably mirrors alot of real life characters all over Ireland.

s1 John Boy was well in control but when his deputy Hughie went he spiralled quickly out of control.

locked wrote: »
    just watching season one and two,, john boy is a big loss. for me programme was alot better with him.

Would have been interesting to see how John Boy dealt with Git and the RA alright but if truth be known is there probably wouldnt have been too much of a story there. Aido gets shot, John Boy wouldnt blink an eye as like Nidge he knew they were 'taking on a whole army' and if Dazzler retaliated he'd be clipped. Besides, Darren only retaliated in order to show his loyalty to Nidge and the gang. He was blinded to the faults in Nidge whereas he knew John Boy was scum.

In fact had Darren not pipe bombed Dano's car outside the Napper then there probably wouldn't have been need for any interaction with the RA only to pay them the extortion money every now and then. Nidge and the rest were too cowardly to get involved with them whereas Darren was a fearless liability.

Dano and Darren almost run as parallel albeit on the opposite side of the fence. Both are absolute liabilities who do things off the cuff against orders of their bosses but purely down to loyalty and commitment to their respective 'causes'

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

:eek:

Jaysis, Love/Hate is good, and probably the best thing RTE have ever had a hand in (Glenroe & Reeling In The Years notwithstanding), but on a par with the top echelons of the big hitter American shows it is not.

RTE did catch up substantially by showing it though.

I think that American shows on the whole have been using the same formula for decades, so are well used to churning out shows conveyor-belt style. They've got it down to a fine art, but not all of them are better than Love/Hate despite the money thrown at them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You can get it on DVD fairly widespread I would imagine or from the RTE shop.

HULU in America have it to stream I think.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    RTE did catch up substantially by showing it though.

I think that American shows on the whole have been using the same formula for decades, so are well used to churning out shows conveyor-belt style. They've got it down to a fine art, but not all of them are better than Love/Hate despite the money thrown at them.

One criticism I have of the American shows is that the plot based ones, well they 'lose the plot' in a manner of speaking. Revenge, for example, started off with so much potential but its now going round in circles. Still watchable but people are starting to get frustrated. In one way the American tv companies almost have more money than sense.

Sometimes a small stream can produce better quality fish than a river, a lake or even a sea and basically RTE/Octagon have churned out the finest of Salmon in Love/Hate.

The beauty of Love/Hate is while there is continuous storyline within a series, it doesn't feature as much in the next series. You have elements of John Boy popping up this series but only serving as a means of being a vehicle to Nidge's increasing paranoia and stress.

I do think however the RA could feature next season and that is because they practically own Nidge's ass now. He'll be gun running and what not for them from now on. Fran is totally off their radar and that infamous bony finger of Gits could well make another appearance.

Very very interesting to see what Stuart Carolan does with the next season and thats another beauty. You'd wonder just what is he going to churn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

I bought my copy in xtravision, before christmas.

Cost me €7.99

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

One criticism I have of the American shows is that the plot based ones, well they 'lose the plot' in a manner of speaking. Revenge, for example, started off with so much potential but its now going round in circles. Still watchable but people are starting to get frustrated. In one way the American tv companies almost have more money than sense.

Sometimes a small stream can produce better quality fish than a river, a lake or even a sea and basically RTE/Octagon have churned out the finest of Salmon in Love/Hate.

The beauty of Love/Hate is while there is continuous storyline within a series, it doesn't feature as much in the next series. You have elements of John Boy popping up this series but only serving as a means of being a vehicle to Nidge's increasing paranoia and stress.

I do think however the RA could feature next season and that is because they practically own Nidge's ass now. He'll be gun running and what not for them from now on. Fran is totally off their radar and that infamous bony finger of Gits could well make another appearance.

Very very interesting to see what Stuart Carolan does with the next season and thats another beauty. You'd wonder just what is he going to churn out.

I think that John Boy's long-lost psychotic brother should be invented and introduced after he busts out of some foreign prison after twenty years for drug trafficking and mass-murder. :eek:

Nidge's character seems too weak to play the hardened gangster, and Fran went from being an out and out villain to a comedy character. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Missy Moo

I got season one, in Tesco.

Stooped wrote: »

They couldn't kill him off quick enough. He really got on my nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Nidge's character seems too weak to play the hardened gangster, and Fran went from being an out and out villain to a comedy character. :(

Ah I wouldn't go that far with Fran, yeah they really upped the comedy level with him but he is still a total psycho.

It fits with the story too, he just got out of prison is trying to get back on his feet and have a bit of fun. There are still glimpses of how crazy he is e.g with Donna and holding onto Git's finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Started last Thursday on the first episode and have been watching an average of 2 - 3 a night... so am starting episode 3 of season 3 tonight.

It's a damn fine show it must be said.. although did laugh at each season ending with Darren potentially being killed or.. well, being killed.

Aidan Gillan's accent waves wildly between American and Irish.. but I'll forgive him as John Joe was a cracking character... don't get me wrong, wildly OTT but just a sheer mental case that was great fun to watch. Best thing about him was that every time he stared intensely at a character for longer than 2 seconds without talking, you'd get the impression that character was a goner.

Sheehan is very good in it but Lawlor as Nidge steals every single scene he's in.

Unfortunately just can't warmed to Killian Scott as Tommy.. he can't do moody and deliver dialogue without chewing the scenery.

Wasn't really a fan of Fran when he was introduced initially but am loving the comedic side he brings to the show... the show would be a helluva more run-of-the-mill without himself and Nidge with the one-liners.

Unfortunately, social media and various newspapers revealed all about the end of season 3.. which was unfortunate but unavoidable.

Anyways, gonna finish the 3rd season over the next few nights.

Basq wrote: »
    Started last Thursday on the first episode and have been watching an average of 2 - 3 a night... so am starting episode 3 of season 3 tonight.

It's a damn fine show it must be said.. although did laugh at each season ending with Darren potentially being killed or.. well, being killed.

Aidan Gillan's accent waves wildly between American and Irish.. but I'll forgive him as John Joe was a cracking character... don't get me wrong, wildly OTT but just a sheer mental case that was great fun to watch. Best thing about him was that every time he stared intensely at a character for longer than 2 seconds without talking, you'd get the impression that character was a goner.

Sheehan is very good in it but Lawlor as Nidge steals every single scene he's in.

Unfortunately just can't warmed to Killian Scott as Tommy.. he can't do moody and deliver dialogue without chewing the scenery.

Wasn't really a fan of Fran when he was introduced initially but am loving the comedic side he brings to the show... the show would be a helluva more run-of-the-mill without himself and Nidge with the one-liners.

Unfortunately, social media and various newspapers revealed all about the end of season 3.. which was unfortunate but unavoidable.

Anyways, gonna finish the 3rd season over the next few nights.

Agree. I think hes a great actor too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

When you think about it, what's the timeframe for season 3? Can't be more than a few weeks.

That would explain the comedic aspect of Fran. He was in jail, got out in EP1, and was out for fun before rattling back into his previous life.

• Advertisement

I think that John Boy's long-lost psychotic brother should be invented and introduced after he busts out of some foreign prison after twenty years for drug trafficking and mass-murder. :eek:

Fran is still a psycho. Last year he was involved in a gang war with John Boy and thats why they showed his psychotic streak more and plus they hadnt really delved into his character. This year Fran is trying to build himself back up and so is under less pressure and is more light hearted about things, all the while biding his time to take his place at the top of the gang. Fran is actually a real gang leader type. Has the respect of his men. Yes unpredictable and volatile but doesnt buckle under the pressure or doesnt grow paranoid. Has no fear.

Nidge is a guy who has bitten off more than he could chew. Yes he is ruthless and cunning but some were born to be organ-grinders and others are best at being monkeys.

Nidge thought he could fill the power vaacuum left by John Boy but truth is he is out of his depth in that role. Although his men are loyal to him they see him more as a fellow soldier beside them in the trench rather than their general. I think there is probably several have a go gang leaders in real life that step into the fold when they have another whacked and then they realise its not as easy as they thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭penzo

only started watching this with season 3, watched season 1+2 over christmas and what a show it really is.

loved john boys character, slick, clever, a leader that knew how things got done and was there to short things out, until he started loosing it which imo made the first two seasons.

the first two seasons really made me like darren even more and wish he hadt been killed , even though it made a great ending for season 3.

a few things I don' get though, why did darren go so out of his way for aido in season 3? they didn't seem that close at all inthe first two, did they even talk at all on screen? yet he went after the ra for him?

fran and nidge seemed to get best buds very quick, I know he loaned him money but again after seeing season 3 first I assumed they were old friends or something.

penzo wrote: »
    only started watching this with season 3, watched season 1+2 over christmas and what a show it really is.

loved john boys character, slick, clever, a leader that knew how things got done and was there to short things out, until he started loosing it which imo made the first two seasons.

the first two seasons really made me like darren even more and wish he hadt been killed , even though it made a great ending for season 3.

a few things I don' get though, why did darren go so out of his way for aido in season 3? they didn't seem that close at all inthe first two, did they even talk at all on screen? yet he went after the ra for him?

fran and nidge seemed to get best buds very quick, I know he loaned him money but again after seeing season 3 first I assumed they were old friends or something.

After Darren broke up with Rosie and fell out with his sister Mary coupled with Nidge (whom he respected greatly) taking over the gang, the gang more or less became his whole life. He started taking drugs and going to the mad parties.

Fran and Nidge more or less always got on. Nidge probably got Darren the job with Fran. Nidge was the go between when John Boy agreed to buy Darren's debt from Fran. Nidge was stuck in the middle when John Boy and Fran fell out and if he was the only one who could calm things over. Yes he scampered after he pipe bombed Frans house but that was more or less in case Fran came after him instead of knowing he would.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Love Hate has been nominated for 11 IFTAs
    RTÉ's Love/Hate has been nominated for 11 TV awards, including a nomination for Best Drama alongside The Borgias, Game of Thrones and Titanic: Blood and Steel.

Both Love/Hate leading men Robert Sheehan and Tom Vaughan Lawlor have been nominated for a Best Actor TV Award alongside Gabriel Byrne for Secret State and Colm Meaney for Hell on Wheels.

Nominees for the Best Actress TV Award include Love/Hate's Charlie Murphy, who plays Siobhan, Amy Huberman for her role in Threesome, Carrie Crowley for Rasai na Gaillimhe and Orla Brady for Sinbad.

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2013/0109/iftanominations.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Literally just finished watching it, started watching the box sets over Christmas and had never seen an episode before that. Had to see what the hype was about.

Loved it! Started slowly for me, couldn't take to the changing accents and it seemed a bit uneven, but definitely had the characters and potential. Season 2 was brimming with confidence. Like other posters I hated Hughie and was delighted he got his comeuppance, but strangely I missed him, but Fran definitely filled the void. Was also shocked to see John Boy killed as although he was beginning to lose the plot, I felt he held the gang together, through both loyalty and fear. Season 3 was just mental in a good way then, loved the Fran character even more, was glad we saw Nidge lose it after he ordered the hit on Darren. (I knew he was to die after seeing it on Facebook weeks ago, but was still surprised when it happened

Is there definitely going to be a Season 4? I was under the impression that this was it, and I found it a nice bookend to the series in a strange way that Darren's brother was killed in the first episode and Darren was killed in the last. Even if there is a fourth series I'd trust them to do a job, people were comparing it to American shows earlier, one thing it has over those is that it got stronger and stronger as it went on whereas most American shows I liked lost the plot after a handful of seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

Jason Todd wrote: »
    Literally just finished watching it, started watching the box sets over Christmas and had never seen an episode before that. Had to see what the hype was about.

Loved it! Started slowly for me, couldn't take to the changing accents and it seemed a bit uneven, but definitely had the characters and potential. Season 2 was brimming with confidence. Like other posters I hated Hughie and was delighted he got his comeuppance, but strangely I missed him, but Fran definitely filled the void. Was also shocked to see John Boy killed as although he was beginning to lose the plot, I felt he held the gang together, through both loyalty and fear. Season 3 was just mental in a good way then, loved the Fran character even more, was glad we saw Nidge lose it after he ordered the hit on Darren. (I knew he was to die after seeing it on Facebook weeks ago, but was still surprised when it happened

Is there definitely going to be a Season 4? I was under the impression that this was it, and I found it a nice bookend to the series in a strange way that Darren's brother was killed in the first episode and Darren was killed in the last. Even if there is a fourth series I'd trust them to do a job, people were comparing it to American shows earlier, one thing it has over those is that it got stronger and stronger as it went on whereas most American shows I liked lost the plot after a handful of seasons.
    I think your description of 2 young guys getting shot as " a nice bookend" suggests you have been over exposed to violent TV!:D:D:D

• Site Banned Posts: 240 ✭✭Nervous Nigel

Good interview with Stuart Carolan on Newstalk this morning.

It was at circa 8.20am - I'm sure that you can listen back online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

Jason Todd wrote: »

yeah they start filming in February but don't know when its due to go out!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

End of October/early November at a guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Typically same time each year..

.. watching the final episode tonight. While season 3 has been great, I do think season 2 slightly surpasses it... possibly just due to John Boy. Season 1 was still good, but the Darren/Rosie did drag it down.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement