Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

Here is something i bet you didnt know until now. Nidge's surname is Delaney

273598.png

ncmc wrote: »
    I know it was posted earlier in the thread but I can't find it, what is the music being played in the scene when Darren gets shot?

Seranade No 10.

This lovely piece of music was played at the end of episode 3 of the last series. Handel Sarabande

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I reckon even if it was the case of having spent €3m they will more than make that back. The show has been huge. They've made savage revenue on overseas sales and im sure they have seen a slice of the revenue which has bought considerable advertisement in. They would only be queuing up to have their ad aired between half 9 and half 10 of a Sunday night while 1m people tune in. A record for irish TV

Yeah RTE are onto a winner there, as its more than once a year they get that many viewers, especially when the LLToyShow is on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,339 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

On the theme of spoilers..... I was in a pub last night and saw the cast on the LLS, but no sound..... if I watch it back on RTE Player will it spoil things for me? Or was it all general talk?

I agree with someone who posted earlier that they weren't going to watch any ads/promos/etc and just enjoy the programme as it comes. (which I know begs the question, what am I doing on this thread?!)

LaGlisse wrote: »
    Agreed, even the best of the best fall victim to padding when stretched out too long. Reckon they dragged out Breaking Bad a bit, though its back to form now. Sopranos sagged in places too. 6 episodes keep it tight and lean.

.A show Love/Hate gets compared with a lot is Underbelly, which also suffers from padding. (i reckon Love/Hate is far better than Underbelly btw which is good going considering the Aussies prob have a bit more money to throw at it)

I absolutely love both shows and i notice so many similarities in the themes which would prove to a degree that Love/Hate is certainly no stereotype.

Im on the fence as to which i prefer. Id love if one of the Irish channels would buy into the Underbelly franchise and portray different periods of Irish crime in the same way (i wont hold my breath though). I've watched the first 3 series of Underbelly and i absolutely loved the show and the many different aspects explored. The Aussies who like the Love/hate cast are mostly unknowns, are really able to bring an energy and a rawness to these characters in the same way TVL, Peter Coonan, etc bring that energy to Nidge, Fran, etc;

In one sense i love the continuity of the characters in L/H the past few years and how we've all grown accustomed to them whereas there wasnt quite the same length of time with Underbelly (Understandably given that they are portraying various true events over a wider time spectrum)

Watched an episode of the Wire. Hard to get into at first but id say it could potentially be a slow burner that eventually burns brightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I've watched the first 3 series of Underbelly and i absolutely loved the show and the many different aspects explored.

Slightly off topic.

I have yet to watch Underbelly but have the first 4 seasons lined up, looking forward to it.

@tipp_Gunner,

Do you know if Season 5 is called Underbelly Badness?

And

Season 6 Underbelly Squizzy?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Slightly off topic.

I have yet to watch Underbelly but have the first 4 seasons lined up, looking forward to it.

@tipp_Gunner,

Do you know if Season 5 is called Underbelly Badness?

And

Season 6 Underbelly Squizzy?

Correct on both. Badness is based on events in Sydney between 2001 and 2012 whereas Squizzy is based on the events surrounding criminal Squizzy Taylor in Melbourne the 1920s

Seen 2 episodes of series 4. Not as good as previous but have yet to see 5 and 6

Back on Love/Hate...ive a feeling Lizzy is morphing into a female Darren. She is even sporting a hoody in the ad with Dano

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭ViveLaVie

Watched an episode of the Wire. Hard to get into at first but id say it could potentially be a slow burner that eventually burns brightly.

The Wire is very slow to start but the payoff is immense. Honestly the best show I've ever seen.

NWS_20130928_NEW_003_29092395_I1.JPG

http://www.herald.ie/news/artist-aiming-big-with-his-lifesize-lovehate-stars-29617405.html
    Ken Sweeney Entertainment Editor – 28 September 2013 07:00 AM
    AN artist has immortalised some of the cast of Love/Hate as frightening life-size figures.

"You can't really capture the brooding presence of characters like Nidge, Darren or Fran on small canvases, that's why I made them full size," Niall O'Loughlin told the Herald
    The 43-year-old Dubliner admitted he even found the line-up intimidating.

UNSETTLING
    "It's all in their eyes really. That's where I do the most work getting it right," he said.
    But he might face an even bigger job finding a buyer for any of his figures, which at six foot each might sit uneasily in a suburban home.
    "As an artist you only think about what you want to create, not will it sell," Niall said. "I wanted to catch the cast together like this before more of them get killed off."
    With Niall admitting he finds the works "vaguely unsettling", he should not be surprised that that only one gallery, the Balla Ban Art Gallery in the Westbury Mall, has expressed an interest in exhibiting them.
    "The weird thing is I think the Love/Hate characters would draw people into a gallery. Anyone who has seen this line-up thinks it's amazing," he said.
    Hand-drawn and then painted before being blown up, Niall hopes to sell each of the figures for €100, or the full set of four for €500.
    Love/Hate returns to RTE earlier than usual on October 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭penzo

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Normally just a few hours before a show goes up. A Sunday show will definitely be up by Monday morning.

yeah it is for most shows, but I have this vague memory that last year it wasn't on the player till after the reply during the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

It's up by 11pm Sunday usually. Was all the other series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

penzo wrote: »
    yeah it is for most shows, but I have this vague memory that last year it wasn't on the player till after the reply during the week.

No it was up very soon. Each episode only stayed up for a week though (as opposed to the three weeks or so for most shows).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

With season four about to start I wonder will every scene with Dano still consist of him with his squinty eyes and a face on him like he's after sucking a lemon constantly saying "Me Da".

Really started to grate on me by the end of the last season

With season four about to start I wonder will every scene with Dano still consist of him with his squinty eyes and a face on him like he's after sucking a lemon constantly saying "Me Da".

Really started to grate on me by the end of the last season

Alot of that character from the Field 'Tadhg' about Dano. A typical no mind of his own thug and meat head who does everything to please his father. His Republican beliefs if you could even call them that, are based solely on devoting his life to seek his fathers approval.

I think that the writers let him down slightly and they dont display quite enough facets of his character. That said i think Barry, who is a very smart articulated guy, is a stark contrast to the one dimensional thug he plays and therefore plays him quite well due to this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭moy83

Cant wait for tonight , I'd say nearly every telly in the country will be switched on for it .

I know this has been asked a hundred times :D

But does it go up on the player?

I'm working this evening, and L/H clashes with Downton Abbey (could they be more different??!!) - and my UPC box has a history of having a hissy fit when trying to record two programmes simultaneously and as a result records none....

Can't get Downton on the player, so hoping that if the box sits down again I'll be able to catch L/H later tonight/tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

It'll go up on the player alright... but will presumably be region-locked / "island locked" (or whatever term they use) so anyone outside Ireland can't watch it.

Basq wrote: »
    It'll go up on the player alright... but will presumably be region-locked / "island locked" (or whatever term they use) so anyone outside Ireland can't watch it.

Phew!

Ta for that :)

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I know this has been asked a hundred times :D

But does it go up on the player?

I'm working this evening, and L/H clashes with Downton Abbey (could they be more different??!!) - and my UPC box has a history of having a hissy fit when trying to record two programmes simultaneously and as a result records none....

Can't get Downton on the player, so hoping that if the box sits down again I'll be able to catch L/H later tonight/tomorrow.

Tom Vaughan Lawlor talks like someone from Downton Abbey :D

You could always tune into RTE1 +1??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭batistuta9

does it be repeated on rte 2 during the week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,889 ✭✭✭✭Basq

batistuta9 wrote: »
    does it be repeated on rte 2 during the week?
    Repeated on Saturday at 10.55pm on RTE1.

Tom Vaughan Lawlor talks like someone from Downton Abbey :D

You could always tune into RTE1 +1??

I could, if I'm home in time. But doubt I will be.

Small chance I may be able to watch it anyway, but I'm just covering all bases.

As long as it goes up on the player, I'm happy :D

Basq wrote: »
    Repeated on Saturday at 10.55pm on RTE1.

there's no better quality version shown then unless it's repeated on rte2 like before sometime down the line

the quality on the rte player is crap too isn't it or is it just me?
    i mean really/noticeably bad

batistuta9 wrote: »
    there's no better quality version shown then unless it's repeated on rte2 like before sometime down the line

the quality on the rte player is crap too isn't it or is it just me?
    i mean really/noticeably bad

I haven't used the player a whole pile, but never noticed any difference from the original telly broadcast.....

Are you using it on UPC or on your computer?

computer

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    I could, if I'm home in time. But doubt I will be.

Small chance I may be able to watch it anyway, but I'm just covering all bases.

As long as it goes up on the player, I'm happy :D

You could also set the upc recorder to record on the +1 channel and avoid a clash?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

This being in Standard Definition is such bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

3 hrs to wait ! !

Please let tommy be in it and ok, please

He has been noticeably absent from promo pics on Facebook .

Did anyone buy Sunday World today for love/hate magazine? I could not pay money for Sunday world, even for love/hate :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Lisha wrote: »
    3 hrs to wait ! !

Please let tommy be in it and ok, please

He has been noticeably absent from promo pics on Facebook .

Did anyone buy Sunday World today for love/hate magazine? I could not pay money for Sunday world, even for love/hate :)

I'd never be without The Sunday World. It's great for the Country and Western stuff ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I'd never be without The Sunday World. It's great for the Country and Western stuff ;)

Eeeewww Harry :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement