Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

Frano is the best character on Irish telly since Charlo Spencer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭larchielads

someone wanted to know what the dentist guy was in before just saw him in a upc horizon ad. he plays the dad

Great episode tonight... But I had a few problems with the plot...

i) Fran's recovery, from having his head smacked in to a wall and then in to a urinal, was far too quick..

Fran is fcuking nuts man. His missus killed herself and it hardly knocked a stir out of him

ii) Why did Fran not run away when he had the row with the guy on the road. He just waited around to be arrested apparently .. ??

Something else going on there.Might give him more ammo to blame his arrest on Tommy

iii) The Hill Street Blues Gardaí.. Some of the actors are very poor.. And I dont like the way they are trying to turn the show in to The Wire.

True dat!

On a positive note, I think the show is far better without Sheehan... All of the baddies.. Elmo, Aido, Franno, Nidge, Lizzie, the kid are all thoroughly believable...

Bigtime, always thought Sheehan was too much of a pretty boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

Did anyone find it hard to hear the dialogue on some parts of tonights episode? I had to rewind a few times.

Nidge, Fran or both could indeed prove to be Teflon Terry's which given the growing divide between them it makes life very interesting indeed. There was talk of doing a series based in prison next season so one or both could possibly be around at either side of the bars. The brilliance of this program is that you just dont know. I think the introduction of the cops gives an interesting dimension and the coup of Brían F O'Byrne was terrific.

I think Dano is in trouble though
    and this youngster that Lizzie is hanging around with could end up like the young joyrider from series 2 along with Lizzie herself. He just seems too much of a liability firing rounds in the middle of the day like that akin to the joyrider taking the Subaru out when he was told to burn it.

Nidge will pop the two of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

This is wild!
    PAUL WILLIAMS – 14 OCTOBER 2013

A REAL life undercover drug squad detective brought a new sense of realism to 'Love/Hate' last night when he appeared as the show's latest crime-fighting star.

The Irish Independent can reveal that the new nemesis of Nigel 'Nidge' Delaney, pictured inset, is Detective Garda Ciaran Madden, pictured right. Det Gda Madden is played by Kieran O'Reilly (35), who is a serving member of the Garda National Drug Unit (GNDU) in Dublin Castle.

His character's role is similar to his day job as a member of an undercover squad infiltrating drug gangs. (!!!)

The fourth series of the hit show, which attracted almost one million viewers for the first episode last Sunday, focuses for the first time on the garda battle with organised crime.

Last night, Det Insp Mick Moynihan, played by Brian F O'Byrne, recruited Det Gda Madden to help dismantle Nidge's criminal network.

The makers of 'Love/Hate' kept the garda's involvement under wraps and sources say his real-life role was known to only a few cast members.

A TV insider said Det Gda O'Reilly, who never acted before, is set to be a major star in the show over the remaining four episodes.

"Kieran just turned up one day and auditioned for a part just for the hell of it but he never dreamed he would be accepted for a role," the source told the Irish Independent last night.

Det Gda O'Reilly has been a member of the gardai for 12 years, six of which have been with the GNDU. Colleagues said he was a very committed and popular detective.

He has been involved in several long-term undercover operations which resulted in smashing drug dealing networks in towns and cities around the country.

Sources have revealed that the detective had the blessing of his superiors for his first break into acting and used his official leave while filming the series earlier this year.

Under the Garda Code, acting is not a prohibited extra-curricular activity.

Irish Independent

• Registered Users Posts: 10,426 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

That's mad if true! Surely he can't do any more 'real life' work after his mug being seen by half the country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

DazMarz wrote: »
    Trawling through every goddamn costume shop on the internet trying to find the Fran mask. I'm amazed no shop in Ireland has them. They'd make a bomb. Anyone any idea where to get one, cos I'd really love to get one for Halloween for the craic.

The producers bought a regular mask somewhere in Dublin, painted it white and added extra hair, so technically Fran's mask can't be bought, only made.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭reddevilfan

That episode tops last week by a country mile.

The Elmo set up is played brilliantly, Nidge will defo be more paro but what I find weird is that to my seem to spend an awful long time inside the cell and no doctor etc...

And why was the solicitor sitting with Siobhan and not with the prosecution/ defence ( somebody doing the work )

Martin the cop got caught out very quick..

And it seems set up nicely for next week we all seen the endding, Siobhan screaming for Tommy as he is put into Fran's Van ( is he going to be clipped ) prompting the fall out with Nidge and the look that was mentioned about the poster before the launch

• Registered Users Posts: 21,019 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

DazMarz wrote: »
    Nothing as far as I could tell. Just that he was the cop who worked for John Boy in earlier seasons and Nidge "inherited" him when John Boy "went".

He was just a bent cop; taking bribes and all.
    rent boys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I like the new Tango Unit Coppers but the young lad looks very very punchable. Far too smiley and annoying. Looks too young to be a Dic also. I loved when the other boys called him Obama though, think that was funny :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Who would be a writer for TV? You spend time narrating the story without trying to write it at the level of pre school children and you still have adults questioning why this, why that, guessing how certain things happened, when it's only been bloody shown and documented in the previous episode, or the very worse, a couple back.

Also meant to add, they were speaking about last nights episode on th radio this morning, particularly Fran's fight in the jacks. People were wondering how they did the missing teeth in Fran's mouth. Was it good make-up, good effects? Turns out Peter Coonan actually IS missing those teeth in real life and had false ones in their place which can be removed (like in Between the Canals)

Handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,019 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i think the dentist will kill himself

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

For the previously uninitiated, can someone explain why Nidge attacked Tommy in the first place? I've seen the clip but it's not really clear from it exactly what Tommy had done to piss him off so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Garda acting is very poor

For the previously uninitiated, can someone explain why Nidge attacked Tommy in the first place? I've seen the clip but it's not really clear from it exactly what Tommy had done to piss him off so much.

Nidge fancied Dan the IRA mans missus, and was trying to get into her small for ages. It was tommy who she ended up with and Nidge found out and tommy said a smart remark about it

So Nidge showed him the wrong end of a 9 iron out of jealousy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I'd say that undercover cop playing that undercover cop could probably change his appearance in a whim? I bet even with the exposure to Approx one million on TV he could be sitting right next to you on a bar stool anywhere in Ireland and you wouldn't even twig it?

NWS_20131014_ENT_002_29265489_I2.JPG
    Detective Garda Ciaran Madden

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Tommy had got caught in hotel where they were mixing gear by getting stoned.
    Cops caught them.

Also prob real reason Tommy had shagged Dano's mrs who nidge fancied.

I'd say that undercover cop playing that undercover cop could probably change his appearance in a whim? I bet even with the exposure to Approx one million on TV he could be sitting right next to you on a bar stool anywhere in Ireland and you wouldn't even twig it?

NWS_20131014_ENT_002_29265489_I2.JPG
    Detective Garda Ciaran Madden

I have relatives that live close to town, and it is true that chap was a plant he even went of smoking heroin with the junkies in town to blend in ( He took some counter react so not to get addicted ) and brought down some drug dealers on the boardwalk etc....

I'm pretty sure you will see pics of him in groups around O Connell st soon. I believe he even had track marks on his hands

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

NWS_20130814_ANA_003_28583280_I2.JPG
    ronaldo.jpg

dfbemt wrote: »
    No, an orange, until you get to the juicy bits

Some prefer the fizzy bits

600full-killian-scott.jpg

This guy might turn out to be the Dazzler of the good guy's side yet?

Nidge could set him up with a cracker to get the inside track?

NWS_20130814_ANA_003_28583280_I2.JPG

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Frano is the best character on Irish telly since Charlo Spencer

Now Dano's boss ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,521 ✭✭✭✭ted1

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Probably not unless Tommy has told her, and thats if he remembers anything. She is most probably pi%%ed off at Nidge for dragging him out on a job knowing he was not well and now after all his time in hospital he is locked up.

The cop more or less told her last week. Laughing at the Nigerian story and asking her who told tommy the story

I was doing it myself, She was quite tasty to be fair, Fran has taste

We haven't seen Noel's missus!

The Garda smoking heroin to blend in. That. Is. Classic.

There was a very strong emphasis on the numerous CCTV locations in the opening shots of last nights episode too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

There was a very strong emphasis on the numerous CCTV locations in the opening shots of last nights episode too?

At least they didn't have one of the kids smash one of them like they did in the Wire. There are a lot of similar themes from that coming into it already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

as stated here the garda acting is very poor,starting to annoy me. the undercover cop is brutal, not great casting or maybe hes deliberately been portrayed as an idiot. some of the dialogue between this new group is a bit cringey. i want to see more of nidge and fran and the gang. Fran character will go down in legend.....:D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement