Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,522 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    as stated here the garda acting is very poor,starting to annoy me. the undercover cop is brutal, not great casting or maybe hes deliberately been portrayed as an idiot. some of the dialogue between this new group is a bit cringey. i want to see more of nidge and fran and the gang. Fran character will go down in legend.....:D
    His character seems to be based on Martin Cahill , with the way he acts towards the Gardai

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

At least they didn't have one of the kids smash one of them like they did in the Wire. There are a lot of similar themes from that coming into it already.

Because before The Wire police forces around the world had no idea that they could use surveillance against criminal gangs?

I mentioned it before, I've seen TJ Hooker and the CHiPs guys use surveillance, you can't have a realistic, or unrealistic crime drama with the use of undercover police and surveillance.
    as stated here the garda acting is very poor,starting to annoy me. the undercover cop is brutal, not great casting or maybe hes deliberately been portrayed as an idiot. some of the dialogue between this new group is a bit cringey.

So brutal that he managed to get away with it in real life for years ? Not great casting, you do know he had done this in real life ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The turd one is a bit wobbly

73204f_love.hate.4x02.png

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

can't see nidge making it to the end, too many people in for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,672 ✭✭✭✭walshb

ging gang goolie goolie goo :pac:

Anyone else think that was a bit OTT cringe?

I think the writer is a "General" fan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,672 ✭✭✭✭walshb

as stated here the garda acting is very poor,starting to annoy me. the undercover cop is brutal, not great casting or maybe hes deliberately been portrayed as an idiot. some of the dialogue between this new group is a bit cringey. i want to see more of nidge and fran and the gang. Fran character will go down in legend.....:D

Indeed. He's portrayed as a mumbling ass. And seriously, why would he go meet a known criminal who he has to know may well be under surveillance, in broad daylight on the street? Bits of this show are irritating me. I know tv shows can't be perfect, but some stuff needs cleaning up.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

walshb wrote: »
    Anyone else think that was a bit OTT cringe?

I think the writer is a "General" fan

No. Thought it was hilarious.

Do you mean the undercover cop or the bent cop? Undercover cop certainly not being portrayed as an idiot, bent cop, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Any chance the Dentist turns out to be a plant too? setting the boys up for the big fall?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bellinter

Nidge and Warren out for a drive just chatting... great scene that!

Really enjoyed it last night. Serious tension in places. Elmo has been excellent so far this series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Stiltzkin

I really am enjoying the new Garda approach Stuart Carolan has taken. Gavin and Ciaran who were introduced last night were fantastic. Serious tension in places where I thought Nidge and Fran were about to be clipped. Also comedic relief scenes with Nidge and Warren. I wish they'd show dream sequences with Darren though, I'm not sure if they will. Love/Hate was brought back to its prime last night. I don't know why people think the Garda acting was poor, I thought it was very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Interesting how everyone is laughing and thanking the racist remark at the start of the programme. I wonder if any of their day to day friends said this in public would the same posters laugh or would they get on their high horse about racism? Perhaps this is why Ireland is a racist country

oh and good episode last night!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,019 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

This guy might turn out to be the Dazzler of the good guy's side yet?

Nidge could set him up with a cracker to get the inside track?

NWS_20130814_ANA_003_28583280_I2.JPG
    RIP (deffo)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Stiltzkin wrote: »
    I really am enjoying the new Garda approach Stuart Carolan has taken. Gavin and Ciaran who were introduced last night were fantastic. Serious tension in places where I thought Nidge and Fran were about to be clipped. Also comedic relief scenes with Nidge and Warren. I wish they'd show dream sequences with Darren though, I'm not sure if they will. Love/Hate was brought back to its prime last night. I don't know why people think the Garda acting was poor, I thought it was very good.

Couldn't disagree more

The Garda scene's were awful last, cringy dialogue and characters that are very similar to a well known US cop show..

The old veteran with something to prove - check (Lester Freeman)

The wise cracking young cop - check (Herc/Carver)

The cool, calculated boss man - check (Daniels)

The dynamic just seems very forced, the scene of planning in the secret office was probably the worst scene of the entire series so far

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Stiltzkin

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more

The Garda scene's were awful last, cringy dialogue and characters that are very similar to a well known US cop show..

The old veteran with something to prove - check (Lester Freeman)

The wise cracking young cop - check (Herc/Carver)

The cool, calculated boss man - check (Daniels)

The dynamic just seems very forced, the scene of planning in the secret office was probably the worst scene of the entire series so far

If you stop comparing Love/Hate to The Wire you might enjoy it more. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Interesting how everyone is laughing and thanking the racist remark at the start of the programme. I wonder if any of their day to day friends said this in public would the same posters laugh or would they get on their high horse about racism? Perhaps this is why Ireland is a racist country

oh and good episode last night!!

You're missing the point I think. He was putting on an act as an ignorant skanger Was pretty accurate. You'd be amazed how many scumbags openly abuse black people yet you can bet your bottom dollar they have 2Pac and Biggie posters in their rooms.

If you stop comparing Love/Hate to The Wire you might enjoy it more. :rolleyes:

Well when the show itself is clearly styling itself on The Wire, at least this season anyway, it's hard not to!

I enjoy all the other storylines, characters, but the cops angle is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Some people just can't enjoy things, they seem to let their need to have a negative opinion take over.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Garda need to be nasty,as nasty as the people they are going after

Ronaldo and his boss Lombardo dont fit the bill

Some people just can't enjoy things, they seem to let their need to have a negative opinion take over.

So the show is absolutely flawless, 100% perfect and cannot be improved in the slightest?

This is a discussion thread ffs, discussions usually have multiple inputs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Not really connecting with the Detectives at all. Maybe we're not supposed to or they've just been introduced too late in the day.

Aido is a real convining scumbag in this show . "I was banging me burd" is exactly what someone like that would say.

It's hard to believe he's actually acting at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

Not enjoying it yet this year but maybe had built it up in my head to much. The garda acting is woeful

Omackeral wrote: »
    You're missing the point I think. He was putting on an act as an ignorant skanger Was pretty accurate. You'd be amazed how many scumbags openly abuse black people yet you can bet your bottom dollar they have 2Pac and Biggie posters in their rooms.

Perhaps I am missing the point, I see and hear it all the time from the dregs of society in the city centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Tisserand wrote: »
    No. Thought it was hilarious.

...and very predictable. They have taken a lot of Fran's character into the realm of the fantastic and it isn't working. His recovery from the toilet fight was ridiculous.

brilou23 wrote: »
    Not enjoying it yet this year but maybe had built it up in my head to much. The garda acting is woeful

I disagree, I haven't noticed any real woeful acting on their parts. granted the dialogue about the steroids was a little wooden but the acting in the interview room with elmo was well done, I thought anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Pappa Charlie

The viewership figures are the best barometer, don't think they will be dropping during this series, the garda angle is a natural progression of the show, very realistic for those who are in tune with reality!

Happyman42 wrote: »
    ...and very predictable. They have taken a lot of Fran's character into the realm of the fantastic and it isn't working. His recovery from the toilet fight was ridiculous.

Predictable only because it was shown in the trailers. Would have preferred it it hadn't because then it would have been even more enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 11,328 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Happyman42 wrote: »

I'm beginning to think, based on your constant whining about Love/Hate, that your username is ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

DazMarz wrote: »
    Trawling through every goddamn costume shop on the internet trying to find the Fran mask. I'm amazed no shop in Ireland has them. They'd make a bomb. Anyone any idea where to get one, cos I'd really love to get one for Halloween for the craic.

I'm 99% sure I heard a costume store in Dublin were stocking them. Could have been mistaken and mentioned a different town/county. Apologies I know that isn't much help, but somewhere in Ireland are stocking them! :D

I enjoyed the episode overall, but I take Love/Hate for what it is. I don't go in expecting world-class television, given the resources available to RTE and the production companies. It's an enjoyable ride to watch things unravel overall.

But there are a number of things they could do to boost the production value and overall quality. For example, where the Guards sprayed 'Elmo is a rat" appeared to be about 12 foot from ground level. Despite being at eye level when the two were spraying it. I know that's serious nit-picking, but still. It's these small details that can differentiate a good series from a brilliant series.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Interesting how everyone is laughing and thanking the racist remark at the start of the programme.

People are laughing because it's the sort of ignorant remark that shows the person who makes it has no brains. Not because they think it's acceptable to make racist remarks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement