Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Tisserand wrote: »
    Predictable only because it was shown in the trailers. Would have preferred it it hadn't because then it would have been even more enjoyable

I didn't see any of the trailers and I knew it was coming the minute he stood up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    People are laughing because it's the sort of ignorant remark that shows the person who makes it has no brains. Not because they think it's acceptable to make racist remarks.

how would you know the difference though? if someone makes a racist comment in town and I laugh out loud and clap my hands. It would be ok if I explained afterwards I was laughing and clapping at his ignorance :confused:

ok, sorry I just got confused with how racism in Ireland works, thanks though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭lukin

I have only been flitting in and out of the show (and this thread) but I've noticed that the Garda informer and Nidge's attitude to him is a complete rip-off of the Tony Soprano relationship with the police informer from the Sopranos.
    i.e. Tony/Nidge is condescending to him. The informer is subservient to Tony/Nidge and accepts the abuse.
    Maybe somebody else has mentioned this already?

Dman001 wrote: »
    I'm 99% sure I heard a costume store in Dublin were stocking them. Could have been mistaken and mentioned a different town/county. Apologies I know that isn't much help, but somewhere in Ireland are stocking them! :D

I enjoyed the episode overall, but I take Love/Hate for what it is. I don't go in expecting world-class television, given the resources available to RTE and the production companies. It's an enjoyable ride to watch things unravel overall.

But there are a number of things they could do to boost the production value and overall quality. For example, where the Guards sprayed 'Elmo is a rat" appeared to be about 12 foot from ground level. Despite being at eye level when the two were spraying it. I know that's serious nit-picking, but still. It's these small details that can differentiate a good series from a brilliant series.

:D I agree, would prefer if they would put some resources into details than the more style conscious stuff, the soundtrack etc. Would make for a piece with more integrity and truth to reality.
    That guard must have had a reach of about 20 foot too as he never moved and the graffiti was at least 15 ft long. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Any chance the Dentist turns out to be a plant too? setting the boys up for the big fall?

Doubt it.

I predict now that Warren is gonna get shot when they try to kill Nidge.

He's the only thing Nidge cares about. It'll send him off the deep end looking for revenge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

Originally Posted by Duggie2012 viewpost.gif
    as stated here the garda acting is very poor,starting to annoy me. the undercover cop is brutal, not great casting or maybe hes deliberately been portrayed as an idiot. some of the dialogue between this new group is a bit cringey. i want to see more of nidge and fran and the gang. Fran character will go down in legend.....biggrin.png
    Tisserand wrote: »
    Do you mean the undercover cop or the bent cop? Undercover cop certainly not being portrayed as an idiot, bent cop, yes.

sorry i did mean the bent cop. poor choice of words from me!! the other cop seems ok acting wise.

how would you know the difference though? if someone makes a racist comment in town and I laugh out loud and clap my hands. It would be ok if I explained afterwards I was laughing and clapping at his ignorance :confused:

ok, sorry I just got confused with how racism in Ireland works, thanks though

Well you see the main difference is we're watching this on telly, not seeing someone do it in real life.

Same way I can enjoy a show where people are dealing drugs and murdering each other. I'm not so fond of that in real life though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Happyman42 wrote: »
    ...and very predictable. They have taken a lot of Fran's character into the realm of the fantastic and it isn't working. His recovery from the toilet fight was ridiculous.
    Dunno, he seemed pretty fncked to me.

I was thinking the exact opposite, in the scene where he's ambushed and takes a metal bar to the stomach. Rather than the clichéd thing where he beats the **** out of the guy and then drives off like nothing happened, all he can do is sit down at the side of the road and try to catch his breath because he's so wrecked. He was hardly waiting for the Guards to show up.

I'm not sure what way this whole season is going to pan out. I have a feeling that Lizzie's not going to succeed because Nidge is paranoid, she'll get caught out. And Dano will probably be taken out for disobeying his superior's orders.
    Leaves Fran, who'll probably finish Tommy off. Nidge is the kind of guy that if the Guards manage to nail him, I suspect he'll happily sell out everyone else to try and save his own skin. So we could see Fran being betraying (as usual) by Nidge.

Well you see the main difference is we're watching this on telly, not seeing someone do it in real life.

Same way I can enjoy a show where people are dealing drugs and murdering each other. I'm not so fond of that in real life though.

I understand this point about it being on tv. My point still stands though, it seems the only reason people don't laugh at racism in real life is due to knowing it is deemed unacceptable by so called society.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,019 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Omackeral wrote: »
    You're missing the point I think. He was putting on an act as an ignorant skanger Was pretty accurate. You'd be amazed how many scumbags openly abuse black people yet you can bet your bottom dollar they have 2Pac and Biggie posters in their rooms.
    I agree...that racist jibe was 100% authentic

I once saw a Dublin employee of a well known christ church, fish and chipper point at chinese writing and say "what's that say" the japanese assistant said "that's chinese i'm japanese".......he responded "it's all the F**ing same"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

:D I agree, would prefer if they would put some resources into details than the more style conscious stuff, the soundtrack etc. Would make for a piece with more integrity and truth to reality.
    That guard must have had a reach of about 20 foot too as he never moved and the graffiti was at least 15 ft long. :D
    Heard Stuart Carolan being interviewed on the radio during the week. Says he selects songs he likes, then writes the script around the songs. If he can't secure the rights for the music, then he has to re-write the script.

I understand this point about it being on tv. My point still stands though, it seems the only reason people don't laugh at racism in real life is due to knowing it is deemed unacceptable by so called society.

No. I'm not laughing at the racism.

I'm laughing at the way the guy doesn't know that China and Japan are different places. His racism actually showed him up to be a moron.

That's what was funny about it.

I thought that was pretty obvious.

I didn't see any of the trailers and I knew it was coming the minute he stood up.
    did you not mention the ging gang goolie scene form the trailers a while back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭richierichballs

Doubt it.

I predict now that Warren is gonna get shot when they try to kill Nidge.

He's the only thing Nidge cares about. It'll send him off the deep end looking for revenge.

Thinking the same thing myself,
    They have been hyping up this communion I find.

I expect something is going to happen it at.

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Says he selects songs he likes, then writes the script around the songs. If he can't secure the rights for the music, then he has to re-write the script.

I thought they could use pretty much whatever music they like for the broadcast version but have to secure rights for the DVD release.

Anyone know if there are significant music changes on the DVDs? I've only watched it on TV so don't know.

did you not mention the ging gang goolie scene form the trailers a while back?

Nope

No. I'm not laughing at the racism.

I'm laughing at the way the guy doesn't know that China and Japan are different places. His racism actually showed him up to be a moron.

That's what was funny about it.

I thought that was pretty obvious.

ok so if it was a different race used.

for example," **** off back to Africa" to an aborigine visiting Dublin for a week in the summer

This would be funny as the aborigine is from Australia and not Africa

:confused:

for example," **** off back to Africa" to an aborigine visiting Dublin for a week in the summer

Yes. For the same reason.

It's really not hard to understand.

We're not laughing at the racism. We're laughing at the person showing themselves up as stupid with the comment.

to be honest personally speaking...i would rate the johnny cash, jefferson airplane and the birds sound track as higher importance than the position of the letters...in hindsight maybe you have a point...but at the time i didn't notice or care...we don't even know if they carried out more grafiti attacks that night..

Well than my earlier point stands. It is perfectly ok to laugh out loud at comments like these, providing you then explain fully to the victim and the people in the surrounding area that you are laughing at the irony and not the racism.

• Advertisement

Well than my earlier point stands. It is perfectly ok to laugh out loud at comments like these, providing you then explain fully to the victim and the people in the surrounding area that you are laughing at the irony and not the racism.

And once again I tell you that this is TV show. We're not standing on the street hearing it and laughing.

We're watching it on TV and realise the comment was written as such to illustrate the stupidity of people who make these remarks.

We wouldn't laugh if we witnessed in real life but we would probably point out later to people how stupid the person was making it.

Just like the shootings in the show are exciting to watch ON TELEVISION. I was not excited when the guy got shot in the face down the road from my house on Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Couldn't disagree more

The Garda scene's were awful last, cringy dialogue and characters that are very similar to a well known US cop show..

The old veteran with something to prove - check (Lester Freeman)

The wise cracking young cop - check (Herc/Carver)

The cool, calculated boss man - check (Daniels)

The dynamic just seems very forced, the scene of planning in the secret office was probably the worst scene of the entire series so far

Just like the wire charachters were like NYPD Blue and Boomtoom then?
    Its hard to write them much differently and it was good to see detectives rather than uniform guards

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I thought they could use pretty much whatever music they like for the broadcast version but have to secure rights for the DVD release.

Anyone know if there are significant music changes on the DVDs? I've only watched it on TV so don't know.

The TV soundtrack and the DVD soundtrack are totally different. TV one is far superior.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

ok, if you are watching it in the comfort of your own home with surrounding family and friends

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Telling an Aborigine to "f**k off back to Africa" wouldnt be funny, telling him to "f**k off back to Africa, you Aborigine f**k" would.

The humour is derived from the stupidity of telling someone to go back to X while acknowledging that they are from Y. Its hardly rocket science

raven136 wrote: »
    Just like the wire charachters were like NYPD Blue and Boomtoom then?
    Its hard to write them much differently and it was good to see detectives rather than uniform guards

Indeed, in most police forces around the western world there will be officers with the same traits as outlined above

People seem hell bent on comparing the wire to love hate. Both tackle the same themes so it is bound to have some similarities? :confused:

FWIW, I found the wire ok, a little bit drawn out and boring so I don't think it is the golden almanac everyone should compare any programme to

ok, if you are watching it in the comfort of your own home with surrounding family and friends

Well most of us don't watch TV on the streets now do we?

Seriously dude.

It's laughing AT not WITH.

Big difference.

ceegee wrote: »
    Telling an Aborigine to "f**k off back to Africa" wouldnt be funny, telling him to "f**k off back to Africa, you Aborigine f**k" would.

The humour is derived from the stupidity of telling someone to go back to X while acknowledging that they are from Y. Its hardly rocket science

Who said anything about rocket science? The bottom line is , that it is racism, be it ill informed or correct. It is a form of racism that seems was accepted by this forum in this thread :confused:

It is a form of racism that seems was accepted by this forum in this thread :confused:

*Facepalm*

How many times does it need to be explained to you that nobody is laughing at the racism and thinking it's great - we're laughing at how it highlights the thick ignorance of the sort of people who make those remarks.

Do you think Stuart Carolan is racist for writing that scene?

Do you think the Asian actor in the scene thought it was racist but still did it? Do you think he didn't understand what the point of the remark was?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Who said anything about rocket science? The bottom line is , that it is racism, be it ill informed or correct. It is a form of racism that seems was accepted by this forum in this thread :confused:

He's not laughing at the racism. He's laughing at the racist.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement