Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,019 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I thought they could use pretty much whatever music they like for the broadcast version but have to secure rights for the DVD release.

Anyone know if there are significant music changes on the DVDs? I've only watched it on TV so don't know.
    yes but actually getting the rights can be a pain...he said Dylan was hard and took ages to get a luke kelly performance of a euan mcoll song because it was wrongly cataloged

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Indeed, in most police forces around the western world there will be officers with the same traits as outlined above

People seem hell bent on comparing the wire to love hate. Both tackle the same themes so it is bound to have some similarities? :confused:

FWIW, I found the wire ok, a little bit drawn out and boring so I don't think it is the golden almanac everyone should compare any programme to

HillStreet Blues was the forerunner of every good cop show and inevitably there will be pieces of all good shows in most shows these days

The wire had 2 great seasons but the greatest of all time,nah

The Shield,The Wire,Hillstreet Blues,Boomtown...Love Hate is in the same vein as these shows and they borrow from one another

We all should just be glad that finally we have an Irish tv show that is made properly and is more than watchable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Who said anything about rocket science? The bottom line is , that it is racism, be it ill informed or correct. It is a form of racism that seems was accepted by this forum in this thread :confused:

I hope you've never seen Blazing Saddles. I'd say your head will explode if you ever do see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

*Facepalm*

How many times does it need to be explained to you that nobody is laughing at the racism and thinking it's great - we're laughing at how it highlights the thick ignorance of the sort of people who make those remarks.

Do you think Stuart Carolan is racist for shooting that scene?

Do you think the Asian actor in the scene thought it was racist but still did it? Do you think he didn't understand what the point of the remark was?

No don't think either Stuart Carolan or the Asian actor are racist for making this particular scene. Their private lives? I couldn't comment as I don't know them personally

My point is and always will remain the same - by laughing , it is a racist action;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

I think we will both have to agree to disagree on this as I don't want to derail a very good thread

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

My point is and always will remain the same - by laughing , it is a racist action;)

Your point is wrong. I'm not racist yet I laughed.

I'm bored trying to explain it to you, you obviously don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

ging gang goolie goolie goo :pac:

lol
    Good episode! That fight scene in the bathrooms had me looking away from the screen! :eek:
    I couldnt look at it either- when he smashed his face off the tiles i just couldnt look
    deise08 wrote: »
    Ya I thought that too bout Janets son. thought it was the detective to be honest. They screwing wit my head too ha ha
    Ha that would be deadly- said to the husband last night when i was watching it that i think Nidge and Janet will form a bond, he does nothng only roar at Trish and he chatting away to Janet about his problems, Can see something happening there .

deise08 wrote: »
    When Fran does press ups he pushes the world down ha ha. frans tears can cure cancer. only thing is he never cries. :):)

Chuck Norris:D

Aido is a real convining scumbag in this show . "I was banging me burd" is exactly what someone like that would say.

Dont Know if it was Aido or Elmo who goes "I was riding a married one, I cant tell ya her name or her husband will be after me" I was in bits laughing at it though... very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭kop-end

I hope you've never seen Blazing Saddles. I'd say your head will explode if you ever do see it.

priceless.....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Who said anything about rocket science? The bottom line is , that it is racism, be it ill informed or correct. It is a form of racism that seems was accepted by this forum in this thread :confused:

Omg how you didn't get this the first time is beyond me. The Garda was undercover and taking off your common ignorant scumbag so as to, you know, remain undercover. He played the part so well that the dealer never suspected him as a copper. It suited the scene perfectly.

Nobody is agreeing with racism or finds racism funny.. Not one person. It's making a show of idiot bigots that cant distinguish nationalities from each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Doubt it.

I predict now that Warren is gonna get shot when they try to kill Nidge.

He's the only thing Nidge cares about. It'll send him off the deep end looking for revenge.

This, the scenes last night showing Nidge and Warren together and the human side of Nidge and how much he really cares about his son seem to be setting that up alright.

He also said in season 1 or 2 that the kids were all he cared about, that was it. So to hurt his character as much as possible without actually killing him off this would be the most logical thing to do.

Still though, killing a kid will bring some amount of backlash on the show (and of course give it brilliant publicity) considering the response a dead furball got

• Advertisement

stuart carolan is an animal hating racist child killer

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Oldira

The cop that was working as a bouncer was brought on to the task-force for no good reason that I could see. My guess is that he is also bent...either working for Nidge or (more likely) Danno's crowd.

Nidges crew are now just a bunch of muppets and he has nobody left to carry out is killings. Aido, Elmo and Fran are not hitmen.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

I thought Dano's burd was pretty fit last season would be nice to see her in an episode this series.

If she makes an appearance it would surely jog Tommy boy's memory . His convenient memory loss for me is the iffyist story that we're being asked to buy into so far .
    I get that it might be necessary for the storyline but still....he seems to remember everyone and everything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I understand this point and yes it paints typical picture of Dublin's city centre.

My point is maybe the director wants the viewer NOT to laugh and think like the other racists but to perhaps shake their head in distain and maybe even say "that is disgraceful, the way people spout racism to innocent people" or words to that effect to their friends and family who might be watching the programme along with them

Is my point so hard to understand?

Im not trying to change anyones mind if they are racist

Do you realise this is an entertainment programme and not a documentary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

raven136 wrote: »

We all should just be glad that finally we have an Irish tv show that is made properly and is more than watchable

Absolutely, doesn't mean a discussion thread should become a love in though. The show is flawed, good but flawed.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Absolutely, doesn't mean a discussion thread should become a love in though. The show is flawed, good but flawed.
    everything is flawed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I thought Dano's burd was pretty fit last season would be nice to see her in an episode this series.

If she makes an appearance it would surely jog Tommy boy's memory . His convenient memory loss for me is the iffyist story that we're being asked to buy into so far .
    I get that it might be necessary for the storyline but still....he seems to remember everyone and everything else.

Convenient memory loss?

After the brain damage he suffered? Are you nuts? Pretty common for people to not have a recollection of a car crash they had been in for example while retaining most of the other info of their life.

He got the head belted off him with a golf club, the most unbelievable part is that he is alive not that he cant remember!!

Is my point so hard to understand?

It's not hard to understand. It's still not right though.

The writer deliberately wrote the line to be funny. If he wanted it to be serious he would have just had the character say, "**** off back to China." or something else.

You're the only person on this thread who doesn't get this as far as I can see.

did fran mention a mistrust of the whole gang in the pub to his mate?

(wonder will we see more of him)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yes. For the same reason.

It's really not hard to understand.

We're not laughing at the racism. We're laughing at the person showing themselves up as stupid with the comment.

Reminded me of Fr. Ted!

It's also funny that it's the skanger buying coke that is saying it. That was a brilliant scene, I was wondering why he was just walking away, thought he was out of it and then the chief detective picks him up, well done, never saw it coming.

Some of the Garda scenes are a bit ropey, the meeting one in particular but I liked him saying there was no overtime or extra budget on this, gives you an idea of the constraints they are under, and that it is all down to police work and a little bit of initiative. Loved the "they don't teach you that down in Templemore" line!

This episode really showed the pressure getting on top of Nidge, the solicitor rolling his eyes at the end of the phone call telling him to come in to get interviewed, could be a taste of things to come. People around him start losing respect for him, and make plans to look after themselves when it all goes tits up, Fran especially ready to take advantage if Nidge sides with Tommy, as it looks like from the trailer.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Oldira wrote: »
    The cop that was working as a bouncer was brought on to the task-force for no good reason that I could see.

Did it not show a scene where he was on the phone at work talking to his wife about his son who it appears has an addiction to drugs? That might give him every reason to take down Nidge and crew?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

kryogen wrote: »
    This, the scenes last night showing Nidge and Warren together and the human side of Nidge and how much he really cares about his son seem to be setting that up alright.

He also said in season 1 or 2 that the kids were all he cared about, that was it. So to hurt his character as much as possible without actually killing him off this would be the most logical thing to do.

Still though, killing a kid will bring some amount of backlash on the show (and of course give it brilliant publicity) considering the response a dead furball got

Nidge's most important piece of dialog in he entire show was in season 2 talking to Darren, something along the lines of

"I don't care about anyone else except for myself and Warren, not Trish not anyone else, I just don't care"

Also on the second point, I hope the show doesn't worry about public backlash and old fogies ringing up Joe Duffy saying its glamorising gangland, I understand the plot is trying to show the damage drugs/guns can do to communities, but if the creative direction of the plot is hampered by having to set a good example to the countries youth then I'd be fairly disappointed.

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Also on the second point, I hope the show doesn't worry about public backlash and old fogies ringing up Joe Duffy saying its glamorising gangland, I understand the plot is trying to show the damage drugs/guns can do to communities, but if the creative direction of the plot is hampered by having to set a good example to the countries youth then I'd be fairly disappointed.

I don't think it will. That cat scene was a big signpost that this season was going to be pretty brutal in its depiction of violence I thought.

And I doubt they're going to re-edit the show now to remove things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

I don't think it will. That cat scene was a big signpost that this season was going to be pretty brutal in its depiction of violence I thought.

And I doubt they're going to re-edit the show now to remove things.

Ye hopefully not, it qill be interesting how the Guards are treated, eg whiter than white good guys always getting one over on Nidge and the crew, or will they be outsmarted eventually by the criminals.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Oldira wrote: »
    The cop that was working as a bouncer was brought on to the task-force for no good reason that I could see. My guess is that he is also bent...either working for Nidge or (more likely) Danno's crowd.

Nidges crew are now just a bunch of muppets and he has nobody left to carry out is killings. Aido, Elmo and Fran are not hitmen.

Wasn't he the cop that was getting tortured by one of the young lads checking out his house, remember his wife rang him in work and he reported it. It could work out he's bent, but there was something about him getting kicked of plain clothes because of some business over a tout, the bent cop said that to Nidge when he was in the car. I doubt his past wasn't checked out.

Also when he asked what job he was going on, the chief gave him the usual knowing look, he has probably guessed the harassment is to do with Nidge, so it gives a personal side for the new detective.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

did fran mention a mistrust of the whole gang in the pub to his mate?

(wonder will we see more of him)

Francis did not trust the gentlemen drinking at the bar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭youtheman

Heard one of the best put down lines ever by Nidge (to the timid cop):

"get in, ya stamerring fu*k"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

did anyone else cry when Debbie came on the screen? She is so annoying!

BTW i find the bouncer/cop to be a terrible actor. I hope they use the bent cop to stay undercover with Nidge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

I wonder will Fran's knocked out teeth make an appearance on the Late Late this week :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

kryogen wrote: »
    Convenient memory loss?

After the brain damage he suffered? Are you nuts? Pretty common for people to not have a recollection of a car crash they had been in for example while retaining most of the other info of their life.

He got the head belted off him with a golf club, the most unbelievable part is that he is alive not that he cant remember!!

Surley most of those people would remember something about a lead up to a car crash , or that it was an actual road accident to begin with though after a few months of trying to piece it togerher or re-trace their steps.
    If he remembers most people surley he remembers Dano, the Ra episode or the person marked "mad bitch" in his phone contacts.

It's convenient that he dosn't remember any of this but knows exactly who someone like Fran is .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement