Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

Happyman42 wrote: »
    The conversation was about whether he had seen the gunwoman or not. I think the original poster had a point as Nidge 'suddenly' got paranoid/more paranoid(whatever) than usual, directly after that scene.
    And he simply hasn't been keeping his 'whereabouts' unknown, his paranoia is inconsistent...simple point, eg: Somebody who is paranoid about the cops for instance and an iminent arrest would not turn up openly at a court session packed with cops, so we have to assume that his current bout of paranoia is about a hit. Given that he was relaxing a few scenes earlier at his home with his wife and child you would have to assume that his current bout of paranoia was suddenly sparked by an incident...like spotting somebody watching him in a hospital carpark?

At the start of the ep he said to Trish on the phone,.....I cant tell you where I am,they could have my phone tapped.
    So this paranoia is not new

Also if you run a criminal empire dont you presume that he would be paranoid?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

i was thinking they could rope in Colm Meaney in some way for the next series..if there is one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭sirgockster

It's clear to me that he is suddenly worried about an imminent hit. The events at the hospital being the reason.
    I think a lot of the reasons for the misunderstanding of the plot comes from something I mentioned earlier - TVL's inability to show what is happening to him internally, it's just a dumb scowl all the time. Charlie Murphy, on the other hand keeps giving masterclasses in this, such as when cop gives her the card with his number.

He has always been worried, Now he is worried he has a grass in his group, He is totally paranoid this is very clear

• Registered Users Posts: 21,020 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Pretty much my thinking..although it can be even more straightforward if you think...

What on earth was the point of the shot of Nidge driving by an looking directly at them if not to indicate he knew they were watching him?

I mean that scene had to be there for a reason, in what other context would that shot be neccessary?
    we'l just have to wait and see

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Well you did directly contradict yourself in the space of a page in order to suit your own argument, so think the rollseyes was justified to be honest!
    i don't think i did...

as in i didn't...even though those two threads could be interpreted that way at face value

• Advertisement

Birneybau wrote: »
    Recognise the singer?

ok papers say he walked into the audition and got the job without experience....however the director of love hate has directed one (or more) of their videos, so i'd say it wasn't as simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭Foxhound38

fiacha wrote: »
    I'm hating the Garda angle on this. I know we've only seen one episode with the new "unit", but so far the acting, dialog and scenes are very poor.
    I think they would be better off with a more traditional "professional" portrayal of the detectives, rather than the Starsky and Hutch ****e we've seen so far. I just hope Nidge doesn't have one of them lifted and addicted to heroin overnight :D
    The writers have also lifted so much from the Wire* that's it impossible not to cringe every time they try to make the Gardai look gritty.

There are plenty of capers and comedy from Nidges lads without having to try so hard with the Garda characters.

I thought the new season opened well, and I like the developments on the gangs side but I hope the season isn't going to be ruined by the poorly written Garda characters.

*I know there is very little that hasn't been done by some other show, but I think the Wire is the only one to get it right.

I think there might be something to this Garda angle. Loved the opening scene - just thought it was done slick.

Got a bit Starsky and Hutch at times but I admit to being well pleased with what they did to Elmo - I was grinning from ear to ear with it.

Could lead to some interesting plotlines if they handle the garda angle well. But they do need to introduce some flaws, particularly in the lead Detective - he's a bit too whiter-than-white at the moment if you know what I mean?

I get that he's manipulative and a smooth operator, but he essentially needs to be a mirror-image of Nidges personality if this is going to work well.

So far I'm loving the season anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

ncmc wrote: »
    Of course he knows it was the Ra, he gave them Darren’s name, I presume he thinks that Dano didn’t wait for Nidge to take care of Darren and got one of his own lads to do it.

Based on the date entered into Pulse last week by the bouncer/Garda, it’s April, so that would make it 10 months or so since Darren was shot. Giving Lizzie time to grow her hair, Tommy’s scars to heal etc.

I don’t think Nidge saw Lizzie and Wayne in the hospital car park. I think he just got a feeling that something wasn’t right, that and the fact that he is massively paranoid. Come to think of it, has he ever met Lizzie, I don’t think they ever met in season 3? He could have looked right at her and not known who she was.

I absolutely loved last nights episode, it’s slowly ramping up the tension without any significant violence actually taking place. If anyone follows Boardwalk Empire, the penultimate episode of the last series was some of the finest television I have ever seen, very little action actually happened, but it was slowly building the tension to a degree when I as a viewer felt I could hardly breath! The final episode was a blood bath and it was nowhere near as good. I think this series of Love/Hate is the same, the beauty of it is in the building of tension rather than bam bam murder all the time.

No, Nidge and Lizzie never met as far as I am aware. Lizzie was mostly seen with Darren and her brothers in the series 3 and with Wayne and Dano in series 4. So, Nidge wouldn't know her.

Of course, Nidge is aware the IRA killed Darren and he is under no illusions either that he is safe from them. He has a deal with Tony but he knows that Dano is probably still out for revenge (that's why he contacted Tony and not Dano in series 3's last episode to do the deal). He has the feeling he is being followed and that's why he did not get out of the car.

Last night's episode was very good. We also get an insight into how the detectives work and we are set on a collision course of a three way war between cops, drug dealers and dissident republicans. Predictions:

From the trailer where we see Nidge with the sword and he telling Trish there is still a problem that he thought was solved and wasn't implies that Wayne will attempt a messy and failed assassination attempt on Nidge. Nidge will probably have him beaten up (in the back of a van no doubt!) and he will confess that he acted out of revenge for maybe John Boy or something and Nidge then kills him. Nidge then will think there is no threat and Dano and Lizzie will then end up attempting another assassination (where Nidge's son gets killed). The last 2 episodes will be filled with more hate than love for sure and a revenge focused Nidge will be interesting to see. With this, he could well let his guard down against the cops.

It's clear to me that he is suddenly worried about an imminent hit. The events at the hospital being the reason.
    I think a lot of the reasons for the misunderstanding of the plot comes from something I mentioned earlier - TVL's inability to show what is happening to him internally, it's just a dumb scowl all the time. Charlie Murphy, on the other hand keeps giving masterclasses in this, such as when cop gives her the card with his number.
    it's hard to tell what's happening internally to a psychopath?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Random fact, Brian F O'Byrne was engaged to the actress Amy Ryan who played Beadie Russel in The Wire, according to IMDb

• Advertisement

hooch-85 wrote: »
    Random fact, Brian F O'Byrne is married to the actress Amy Ryan who played Beadie Russel in The Wire.
    and he steals all her secrets for love hate!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

No, Nidge and Lizzie never met as far as I am aware. Lizzie was mostly seen with Darren and her brothers in the series 3 and with Wayne and Dano in series 4. So, Nidge wouldn't know her.

Of course, Nidge is aware the IRA killed Darren and he is under no illusions either that he is safe from them. He has a deal with Tony but he knows that Dano is probably still out for revenge (that's why he contacted Tony and not Dano in series 3's last episode to do the deal). He has the feeling he is being followed and that's why he did not get out of the car.

Last night's episode was very good. We also get an insight into how the detectives work and we are set on a collision course of a three way war between cops, drug dealers and dissident republicans. Predictions:

From the trailer where we see Nidge with the sword and he telling Trish there is still a problem that he thought was solved and wasn't implies that Wayne will attempt a messy and failed assassination attempt on Nidge. Nidge will probably have him beaten up (in the back of a van no doubt!) and he will confess that he acted out of revenge for maybe John Boy or something and Nidge then kills him. Nidge then will think there is no threat and Dano and Lizzie will then end up attempting another assassination (where Nidge's son gets killed). The last 2 episodes will be filled with more hate than love for sure and a revenge focused Nidge will be interesting to see. With this, he could well let his guard down against the cops.

I think the next episode will see Nidge take out Lizzie, then Lizzie's young sidekick goes berserk in revenge and takes out Trish or Warren, or both of them, leaving the cops scrambling to prevent a showdown between Nidge and Dano by pressuring Fran and Elmo.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭kilkenny12

yes we all saw that...but until we see evidence, there is no evidence that he saw them

Evidence?? He CLEARLY saw them. It was played in slow fu(king motion.

Seriously, half the people on this thread need to go back to junior infants.

"Evidence"......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

it's hard to tell what's happening internally to a psychopath?

In real life maybe, but in a drama? Not very helpful, TVL does try and he is given plenty of opportunity (hence the ad nauseum scowls) but he just can't get beyond; vacant.

I always thought it could be a communion day massacre but after Nidge's mother had a stroke in last nights episode, We could have a funeral in store if they kill her off, I don't know why they would suddenly bring her in other than to bring Nidge out in the open and to be an easy target, Either way it will be blood shed one way or another and the writers will get to Nidge the only way they can without killing him off and that is through his family

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

kilkenny12 wrote: »

He saw them. But did he recognise them?

That's the thing.

In real life maybe, but in a drama? Not very helpful, TVL does try and he is given plenty of opportunity (hence the ad nauseum scowls) but he just can't get beyond; vacant.
    ah here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I don't think TVL is the problem at all. He's a quality actor - I've seen him on stage and he's very talented.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

"Evidence"......

There is no confirmation he seen them and knew who they were he made no mention of it.I think it would be something he would mention to the Fran and the rest of them that he seen Dano's crew watching him.In Nidges eyes he is safe with the RA if he thought there was threat to him outside the hospital where his whole family are he would have taken them away!!

Did Nidge even meet Lizzy in any episode, I think it was just Darren and Aido she met.

We will no more in the next episode if he spotted them or not, Maybe it was just done for effect and suspense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Happyman starting to drag the thread down again I see.

Thing is that right now Nidge would be seeing eyes everywhere..every passing/stopped car, every window rolled down, every person standing on a corner could be after him.

He might attach some meaning to a person in a stopped car turning away when he sees them but he probably won't connect it to the IRA.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,365 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Don't know if its been mentioned here, but the Detective Madden (the Garda at the start who does the drug deal) is an actual Garda in the Drugs unit.

He does a pretty good job as an actor if you ask me.

It was mentioned earlier in the thread, A few people do not think he did a good job, It came to a lot of their surprise when they were told he did it for a living for years

Nobody could have done the job better

"Evidence"......
    all we saw was was nidge looking out the window....lizzie did avert her eyes...but the viewer has no idea what he was looking at....plus...he stared in one direction...if he saw them he would be looking back as he drove past..he stared out the window and drove for a good deal longer than the front of one car.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Don't know if its been mentioned here, but the Detective Madden (the Garda at the start who does the drug deal) is an actual Garda in the Drugs unit.

He does a pretty good job as an actor if you ask me.
    he did great...i thought it was pretty cool that he was nearly asleep in the car when the lads were grafitiing the wall.

Is RTE Player still down for everyone else? Can't seem to watch any prog. on this end

Blay wrote: »
    Happyman starting to drag the thread down again I see.

Thing is that right now Nidge would be seeing eyes everywhere..every passing/stopped car, every window rolled down, every person standing on a corner could be after him.

He might attach some meaning to a person in a stopped car turning away when he sees them but he probably won't connect it to the IRA.
    he tends to dominate the threads...it's more our fault for arguing back, the more we argue the longer the derailment...

Is RTE Player still down for everyone else? Can't seem to watch any prog. on this end
    think you need to let it sit for a few minutes, worked for me after a while

Cheers Ash, Will give that a try

• Advertisement

Aido knows lizzie well doesn't he? Nidge has never seen her are we agreed on that?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement