Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

Has the standard slipped in Season 4 or is it early days?

Early days. A gradual bringing to the boil. Other seasons were different in that it started and ended fairly helter skelter and there was a lull of sorts in the middle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭sirgockster

The 3rd season started of with a bang with the rape and killing of Git and it was a season that was all about the gang trying to cover their tracks and trying to stay alive, The 4th season is about the guards trying to bring down the gang, They are totally different but in this season you just know even though it's slower than last season it's going to end with a bang and plenty of bloodshed, It's building up nicely, I have enjoyed the first 2 episodes but I reckon come the end of this season the first 2 episodes will feel like a long time ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The 3rd season started of with a bang with the rape and killing of Git and it was a season that was all about the gang trying to cover their tracks and trying to stay alive, The 4th season is about the guards trying to bring down the gang, They are totally different but in this season you just know even though it's slower than last season it's going to end with a bang and plenty of bloodshed, It's building up nicely, I have enjoyed the first 2 episodes but I reckon come the end of this season the first 2 episodes will feel like a long time ago

I think it is most important to note every scene in the episodes (no matter how minor they may seem at the time) as there is a buildup to a massive climax. I have a feeling that the Dano/Lizzie/Tony/IRA storyline will come to a head in this season: The get out clause for Nidge and co here will revolve around something like this: Dano, Lizzie and Wayne will stage attempts to kill Nidge against Tony's wishes and Tony (who helped Dano piece together the facts about Git's murder) is no fool and will know it is Dano and Lizzie who are behind Wayne. Nidge and co will get rid of Wayne fairly handy I'd say but Dano and Lizzie could end up being killed by their own (remember that Tony warned Dano about being court marshalled in series 3) for disobedience and Tony then will still see Nidge as more useful alive, particularly now he has the dentist onboard who I'm sure will be used to smuggle all sorts. I hope Nidge and Fran survive and it would be great to see Dano and Lizzie survive too (thrown out of the IRA perhaps and badly beaten but out for vengeance even more) but I have a feeling Dano will be killed (by his own) and Lizzie will be too I'd say.

Series 5 (I know I may be getting a little ahead!) will probably entirely focus on the cops taking down Nidge's gang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭Gloveworm

Introducing the first episode of 'Love/Hate's fourth season, the continuity announcer warned – or perhaps promised – that there would be "sex, violence, strong language and scenes that viewers may find upsetting"

She wasnt wrong.......That bed-set in the brothel is absolutely shocking

0007fb52-630.jpg

If you have been affected by any duvet patterns in this programme, please call 1800 5537 8008.

I think the RA will choose Nidge over Dano, The look on Tony's face when he asked him if he has stayed away was pretty much the same look he gave Nidge last season, He does not believe him for one minute and also I maybe looking to much into it, I don't think Lizzie liked how Dano used her brothers memory to get her to whack Nidge, Dano is a dead man walking, I can see Tony given orders to get rid of him

• Advertisement

They are decent duvet covers to be fair, Can them been sold out just like Frans masks

• Registered Users Posts: 20,897 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lads new to TV forum - so sorry if this is not the asked question. Go easy :)

But, I'm reading some of the posts here.

I'm wondering do some people think that this is real ?
    Some people here, I feel, look into it deeper than even the creator.

Or maybe I'm underestimating the writing and creation of these dramas.

Enjoying so far. A bit unrealistic at times - but it is just TV.

It is only tv that's why you should only sit back and enjoy it but you get a few who will nit pick the smallest of flaws. If a little flaw pushes a story forward to make it better then I'm all for it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

People can get very emotional on here, Pitchmark.

I think the RA will choose Nidge over Dano, The look on Tony's face when he asked him if he has stayed away was pretty much the same look he gave Nidge last season, He does not believe him for one minute and also I maybe looking to much into it, I don't think Lizzie liked how Dano used her brothers memory to get her to whack Nidge, Dano is a dead man walking, I can see Tony given orders to get rid of him

That's what will happen. Tony will not take kindly to Dano organising a hit on Nidge behind his back, especially if it causes a mess up where Nidge goes into hiding and is unavailable for Tony's arms smuggling!

• Advertisement

People can get very emotional on here, Pitchmark.

Genuinely would worry about the way people talk about the characters and the cat and stuff - anyway funny. Only thing I've gone out of my way to watch since maybe The Office. So hence reading here.

There was a real shooting in Cabra last night and people would hardly be as energised.

Anyway - maybe not the place.

Enjoying the posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

So it turns out the guy who plays the detective with the white/grey hair actually is or used to be a Garda!

i was under the impression a member of the force was banned from having a second job?

hedald.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

flynnlives wrote: »
    So it turns out the guy who plays the detective with the white/grey hair actually used to be a Garda!

That was mentioned a few pages ago. He's still a Garda just not with the drugs squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Used to? He still is, just not an undercover drugs officer anymore

Ok I take back this is not real life comment.

That is ridiculous that

A) He went for a part in a drama about an undercover cop
    B) They cast him
    C) He acted in a role he has - done in a professional capacity
    D) Revealed methods used by police.

Maybe Nidge did shooting in Cabra - this is all getting very strange.

I guess your man will have to leave Garda
    /
    Leave show

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Dempsey wrote: »
    Used to? He still is, just not an undercover drugs officer anymore

ya thats why i added the "used to"
    I was always under the impression that a member could not old any other employment when serving as a garda. Obviously to stop any conflicts of interest etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭NoClues

So it turns out the guy who plays the detective with the white/grey hair actually is or used to be a Garda!

i was under the impression a member of the force was banned from having a second job?

hedald.jpg

That's crazy, they gave Anna Nolan her own column??

ya thats why i added the "used to"
    I was always under the impression that a member could not old any other employment when serving as a garda. Obviously to stop any conflicts of interest etc.

Just mentioned there on VB - acting is ok.

This is so daft was not even anticipated.

They have shafted them so much they can make more acting at being a garda than being a garda. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Has the standard slipped in Season 4 or is it early days?

There's been a definite drop in quality. There has been some great scenes in the first two episodes, but it doesn't feel as tight or as well paced as the previous season. Some of the acting has been awful as well. It's a pity as it had been getting better every season until now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Mod Warning:

Stay on topic.
    If you've got a problem with someone, simply ignore them.
    If you find a post to be offensive or in breach of the charter in any way shape or form, hit report post and a moderator will handle it. Do not respond to these posts and don't instigate arguments, it only clogs up the thread and ruins the enjoyment for everyone else.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on the show, if you disagree with said opinion, fair enough, but discuss it like grown ups and leave all the childlike behaviour in the playground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

did fran mention a mistrust of the whole gang in the pub to his mate?

(wonder will we see more of him)

Been seeing him for quite a while at this stage ;)

did fran mention a mistrust of the whole gang in the pub to his mate?

(wonder will we see more of him)

Yep he told his mate Deano (who he showed Gits finger to last year. Wonder will it make a reappearance?) that he trusted none of 'them fúcks'
    His other mate Carlo who he stabbed with a glass in series 2 has seemingly walked away from gangland life. Obviously the stabbing opened his eyes to the fact there is more to life then shooting people dead. So perhaps he fulfilled his ambition of driving for Dublin bus where Deano reminded him of the prospect that 'He would have to eat his lunch in the canteen with all the 'fordingers' '

They are decent duvet covers to be fair, Can them been sold out just like Frans masks

What could you use them for? Inducing someone into puking something potentially dangerous up that they swallowed?

Tusky wrote: »
    There's been a definite drop in quality. There has been some great scenes in the first two episodes, but it doesn't feel as tight or as well paced as the previous season. Some of the acting has been awful as well. It's a pity as it had been getting better every season until now.

I am really enjoying the new season so far very much and mark my word it will be as good as season 3 by the end. Season 3 I guess exploded into action in episode 1 due to the introduction of the IRA and the kneecapping and rape/brutal killing of Git scene. Season 4 has started off more like season 2 I guess.

I guess it is strange seeing Love/Hate without Darren in many ways. Last night was the first episode without him in it actually (he appeared dead in episode 1 of this season). Likewise, series 3 was different to the first 2 since no John Boy. Darren I think was the main character in the first series but Nidge became more and more prominent in series 2 and is the centre of attention in series 3 and 4.

Darren was most prominent as the character who struggles with his conscience. He on one hand killed more people (including an innocent woman) than anyone else on the series but on the other hand wants to get out of this life and marry and live normally. He got sucked deeper and deeper into crime and by the end, he was resigned to his fate as a career criminal. I think Tommy has taken Darren's role as character with conscience issues in this series.

I think the other issue about Love/Hate season 4 is the involvement of the cops at a level where they are given equal screen time with the drug dealers. What made Love/Hate different to such American series that featured drug dealers such as Miami Vice or The Wire was that in Love/Hate, it was mainly focused on the gangsters with little from the cops. Series 4 works more like the American series mentioned but Nidge is still the main man. But, the involvement of the cops at a substantial level means a different feel: we have to build up their characters and see their roles develop.

Yep he told his mate Deano (who he showed Gits finger to last year. Wonder will it make a reappearance?) that he trusted none of 'them fúcks'
    His other mate Carlo who he stabbed with a glass in series 2 has seemingly walked away from gangland life. Obviously the stabbing opened his eyes to the fact there is more to life then shooting people dead. So perhaps he fulfilled his ambition of driving for Dublin bus where Deano reminded him of the prospect that 'He would have to eat his lunch in the canteen with all the 'fordingers' '

This could be the start of a crack in Nidge and Fran's relations. Nidge has a lot of secrets he would not like Fran to find out about. Just like Nidge and Dano were close friends in the beginning, Fran could be Nidge's next major worry to contend with. I have a feeling that Nidge's closest ally will be the IRA's Tony in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,523 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Terry the old cop was on Ivor and damp tonight playing a cop, it was pretty funny seen him on it. Type cast already

Also just remembered he was in season 3. Maybe he has a link to the RA

I am really enjoying the new season so far very much and mark my word it will be as good as season 3 by the end. Season 3 I guess exploded into action in episode 1 due to the introduction of the IRA and the kneecapping and rape/brutal killing of Git scene. Season 4 has started off more like season 2 I guess.

I guess it is strange seeing Love/Hate without Darren in many ways. Last night was the first episode without him in it actually (he appeared dead in episode 1 of this season). Likewise, series 3 was different to the first 2 since no John Boy. Darren I think was the main character in the first series but Nidge became more and more prominent in series 2 and is the centre of attention in series 3 and 4.

Darren was most prominent as the character who struggles with his conscience. He on one hand killed more people (including an innocent woman) than anyone else on the series but on the other hand wants to get out of this life and marry and live normally. He got sucked deeper and deeper into crime and by the end, he was resigned to his fate as a career criminal. I think Tommy has taken Darren's role as character with conscience issues in this series.

I think the other issue about Love/Hate season 4 is the involvement of the cops at a level where they are given equal screen time with the drug dealers. What made Love/Hate different to such American series that featured drug dealers such as Miami Vice or The Wire was that in Love/Hate, it was mainly focused on the gangsters with little from the cops. Series 4 works more like the American series mentioned but Nidge is still the main man. But, the involvement of the cops at a substantial level means a different feel: we have to build up their characters and see their roles develop.

I think poor old Tommy's brain is totally gone. (it was never 100% firing on all cylinders though before Nidge bludgeoned him)

Apart from practically killing Git (Which to be fair we'd probably all react like that given the situation that was facing him) he was never a guy cut out to carry out violence and the cops have long identified him as a soft touch with Detective Terry even saying he was 'decent' last series.

He was assigned to shoot Fran in S2 and made a complete shíte of it. He is not very bright and has no skills to speak of so probably wouldnt get a normal job. Crime is his only option of a career so to speak. He was always basically a mere gopher for the gang. He seems to have regressed back to his childhood mentally. He has no idea Nidge battered him and im not so sure he could do anything about it regardless. I think he has the power to bring down the whole gang but both him, Siobhan and Leighton will probably end up in state protection yet. Others who could also end up as witnesses are Debbie, Martin the dodgy cop, Elmo. Very very interesting series ahead.

ted1 wrote: »
    Terry the old cop was on Ivor and damp tonight playing a cop, it was pretty funny seen him on it. Type cast already

Also just remembered he was in season 3. Maybe he has a link to the RA

Yeah he was a partner of the woman detective that Nidge spat on. My friend actually was on about the fact that Nidge had a man on the inside with the cops and that surely perhaps Dano also had and it dawned on me that Lizzie's brother Paddy was searched outside a cop station last season by a detective who was antagonistic towards Paddy yet could have easily passed on info to him about why Nidge had been arrested.

Part of me feels sorry for poor old Martin the dodgy cop. Id say John Boy and then Nidge had something on him and he was prepared to go to any lengths to keep it from coming out. He never looked comfortable with it and tried to get out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Know I'm a few pages behind but nidge wouldn't get out of the car at the hospital cos all the extended family were around the mothers bedside. "Not going in wit all dem dere". Also correct me if I'm wrong but he saw nothin in the mirrors cos we were looking over at the front of his car from lizzies car. opposite direction. Tommy the poor soul. Conveniently forgot?? come on got seven shades beaten out of him by a titanium reinforced club?! I'm amazed he even knows his name. me heart is broke for him. and that Debbie wan God her voice goes through me!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Martin the dodgy cop was in to rent boys!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement