Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

deise08 wrote: »
    Martin the dodgy cop was in to rent boys!!!!

Thats what John Boy implied alright whether he said it in jest or was serious we dont know but im with you on this and guessing it could be the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I actually hope we see more of Martin.
    I'm guessing he'll be cut a deal to appear as a witness against Nidge and the boys.
    And probably shot down in the street when Nidge finds out Martin took said deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

I say there be a few deals done alright. I'm loving where this series could go :):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Thread actually goes round in circiles, back to maybe John Boy and Nidge had something on Martin, oh he did? Rent boys you say? Really? Did he actually say.....oh he did, I thought......no your right he did......that explains that then....for another few pages

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭NoClues

kryogen wrote: »
    Thread actually goes round in circiles, back to maybe John Boy and Nidge had something on Martin, oh he did? Rent boys you say? Really? Did he actually say.....oh he did, I thought......no your right he did......that explains that then....for another few pages

No that's not right, I'll tell you now, what happened was this, and then that. But it was before the other thing so he couldn't have known about it afterwards because it hadn't happened yet. That's right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Enjoying the show so far, people giving it way too much criticism tbf, this is not The Wire or The Soprano's, we have a much smaller population and one national broadcaster, they've made a really good and entertaining show out of this and deserve credit.

This show is far from perfect, in my opinion Darren was miscast from day one, Robert Sheehan is the most un-believable gangster I've ever seen, the whole thing with Rosie too and Mary and Luke, I found it all a waste of time, but I persevered. I think the introduction of Fran was the best decision so far, Peter Coonan is outstanding, Nidge is the main man and always was, Aiden Gillen just started it off. I absolutely despise Debbie and felt sick when I saw her in the airport, she just absolutely wrecks my head, along with that punchbag face young fella in the car with Lizzie.

I cringed when I read about all the complaints about the cat, I mean get a ****ing grip, there's been murders non stop in this show for years and you complain about a ****ing cat!? And were there people complaining about racism over the Chinese fella walking in the street? This is TV, that was hilarious, and the Obama joke about your man Gavin was funny too.

The police angle is good but the acting is a little weak by some of them, the spraypainting scene and the private office in particular, that Gavin fella looks like he should be doing his leaving cert and not playing detective, Martin is just a complete and utter buffoon, his accent doesn't belong anywhere near the TV and I'm from Cork. Anyway, that's how I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BertMark

I think that was the first episode yet I've been a little underwhelmed with.

With so many incidents - some totally out of the blue and not at all character driven - I felt it drifted towards the cheap thrills end of the storytelling spectrum a little too much.

And the Wire homages from the opening sequence almost ventured into rip-off country with Det. Moynihan's talk of "building a case" in the off site base!
    I knew when they went down The Wire route of expanding their focus to the police there would be some cross over, but with a line like that I'd wonder is he going to be building furniture miniatures next? biggrin.png

Dave147 wrote: »
    Martin is just a complete and utter buffoon, his accent doesn't belong anywhere near the TV and I'm from Cork.

Spat out my coffee laughing at this. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Um. Sorry, but am I the only one who thinks there's a stink of publicity stunt about the "outrage" over the cat and the real guard?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

BertMark wrote: »
    I think that was the first episode yet I've been a little underwhelmed with.

With so many incidents - some totally out of the blue and not at all character driven - I felt it drifted towards the cheap thrills end of the storytelling spectrum a little too much.

And the Wire homages from the opening sequence almost ventured into rip-off country with Det. Moynihan's talk of "building a case" in the off site base!
    I knew when they went down The Wire route of expanding their focus to the police there would be some cross over, but with a line like that I'd wonder is he going to be building furniture miniatures next? biggrin.png

Be careful, apparently you are not allowed compare L/H to The Wire

Prepare to be informed by industry insiders that The Wire didn't have any original ideas, and L/H has not taken any influence from it.

• Advertisement

kryogen wrote: »
    NoClues wrote: »
    No that's not right, I'll tell you now, what happened was this, and then that. But it was before the other thing so he couldn't have known about it afterwards because it hadn't happened yet. That's right.

Yes imagine, discussion tends to happen within threads that are discussing things....shock horror!! What did ye honestly expect to find in here in all fairness?:confused:

P.Walnuts wrote: »

Prepare to be informed by industry insiders that The Wire didn't have any original ideas, and L/H has not taken any influence from it.

Well it is alot better then the few self appointed mind guards on this thread that seem to relish in putting the show down and it would seem it is merely on the basis it 'came off this island so it must be crap'

Well it is alot better then the few self appointed mind guards on this thread that seem to relish in putting the show down and it would seem it is merely on the basis it 'came off this island so it must be crap'

I hate that mentality too. It's one of the few shows we can actually be proud of and recommend to other nations. I wonder how popular it is on Hulu - don't think they release viewing numbers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

I agree it's a great show and i'm delighted it's irish made, a real step in the right direction for RTE..

But as much as people putting it down for the sake of it is annoying, so too is burying your head in the sand and ignoring any flaws it may/may not have. I for one think the cop angle is extremely weak thus far, one of the only weak points of the show. Pretty sure i'm entitled to say that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭Horrid Henry

It's clearly not a bad show...anyone who thinks that is a strange individual.

Does it have flaws? Of course...everything has flaws.

But for our little underfunded and bankrupt little island, it's bloody impressive and something to be proud of.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

One of my favourite lines was from season 1

John boy: ah stumpy with his flash new motor

stumpy: its for me gear..me decks!

john boy: your ants and decks?

I think john boy knew at that stage what stumpy was up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Agreed, it is a great show and to hell with the begrudgers.

And I see now why the opening two episodes were slower than usual too, they were waiting for Mr Gilligan to be released......... He'll soon arrange to have that Nidge fellow sorted :)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Just seen love/hate season 4 DVD will be released soon at a price of 14.99 very fair price.

1383263_618805748163055_697123128_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

P.Walnuts wrote: »

I think that the cops v drug dealers storyline for TV series was first explored in detail in Miami Vice and then in many other series to date. When dealing with undercover work, there is going to be some similarities and while there are scenes in Love/Hate that reminds me of ones in Miami Vice, The Wire, and Hill St Blues to name but 3, in no way could you say any of these copied each other (a respect for what went before is always evident in any series like these).

Like for example Stumpy beating up Rosie is a very similar scene to a season 4 episode of Miami Vice (Child's Play is the episode), where an arms dealer beats up his girlfriend in a similar manner. While the incident is similar, the storyline in both are different from there on: in MV, the girlfriend gives evidence to the cops who then have a shootout at the premises of the arms dealer and his henchment, whereas in L/H we ultimately see Darren first beat up and in the end kill Stumpy.

• Advertisement

It's clearly not a bad show...anyone who thinks that is a strange individual.

Does it have flaws? Of course...everything has flaws.

But for our little underfunded and bankrupt little island, it's bloody impressive and something to be proud of.

It is an excellent show and it gets the whole country talking and sets a new standard in Irish drama. When you compare Love/Hate to what went before, you are onto a whole new level. For example, there was a series in the late 1990s called Making The Cut which covered the same ground. Ultimately, this was solid but rather slow. In 2004, we had The Big Bow Wow inflicted on us, which was silly and too fast in trying to cover too much but ultimately was incoherent and pretentious. Watching the first 5 minutes of Love/Hate episode 1 series 1, I knew this was very different and in a very superior league.

Every incident in Love/Hate is linked into a bigger plot. So, I'm sure Fran's violent fight with your man in the toilet in the last episode (Fran was having an affair with his missus when the guy was in prison), will have some repurcussions (this guy I'm sure is linked into either the gangsters or the IRA or something).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I think the other issue about Love/Hate season 4 is the involvement of the cops at a level where they are given equal screen time with the drug dealers.

I think this could be the reason I'm struggling to get into it so far. Irish cops (ve-hicle) aren't interesting people. Gangland criminals are.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Thugs tend to beat up women, beat up women tend to give evidence against the thug.

People are really stretching themselves to find shows in which they think the writers took their stories from. Scenarios like the above happened in a million tv shows.

Cops vs drug dealers appeared in tv and film long before Miami Vice.

Yes, that's my point. Similar incidents and afterall very similar characters. But not copying. I'm aware that cops v drug dealers predates Miami Vice (especially on film) but that show popularised it for TV audiences and definitely emphasised the drug dealers/vice cops over homocide (the most common theme in 1970s shows like Kojak or Streets of San Francisco).

The main inspirations for Love/Hate are of course the real life Irish gangster and dissident republican arenas.

Also, I think that Love/Hate was definitely the first Irish TV drama to be brave enough to feature in its first 3 seasons main characters that were all gangsters or dissident republicans. It is an excellent series and its main characters are ruthless, violent and yet very likeable. Nidge is the greatest TV character to come out of any country in the last 10 years I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yes, that's my point. Similar incidents and afterall very similar characters. But not copying.

Yeah, I initially misread your post and realised we were in agreement as soon as I posted it, hence the posts short lived timespan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I heard on the Radio this morning that one of the Gardai in the show is a real Garda and is now under investigation for starring in the show

WIZE wrote: »
    I heard on the Radio this morning that one of the Gardai in the show is a real Garda and is now under investigation for starring in the show

Really?? There was a real guard acting on love hate sunday night???????:D:D:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Heard the same too! I'm assuming it's the guard who was doubling as a bouncer as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Goat the dote

Do people not read this thread? A lot of repetition over the last few pages

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Are they investigating why a garda who works (worked?) undercover to infiltrate drug gangs appeared on national TV playing a garda that works undercover to infiltrate drug gangs, in a drama series that is most likely watched by said drug gangs?

Seems fine to me. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Love/Hate's real-life garda faces inquiry over his role on show

THE drugs squad detective who plays the part of an undercover officer in 'Love/Hate' is to be investigated for a possible breach of garda discipline.

But Commissioner Martin Callinan yesterday ordered an internal disciplinary inquiry into the officer's involvement in the hit RTE show, which was watched by 880,000 viewers.

Under the Garda Code, acting is not a prohibited extra-curricular activity and it is understood that the officer took part in filming while on official leave earlier this year.

The 'Love/Hate' producers said they were "deeply shocked" that an investigation had been launched, and stressed that the highly regarded detective had no advisory role in either the storyline development or script-writing.

It is understood that disciplinary papers were served on Mr O'Reilly when he reported for work yesterday.

This document officially informed the officer that his involvement in the 'Love/Hate' series is to be the subject of an inquiry.

The commissioner appointed a superintendent to conduct the investigation after meeting with senior officers in garda HQ.

Yesterday, the Irish Independent first revealed that the 34-year-old detective, who had never acted before, landed the major role when he auditioned for a part on a whim last year.

IMPRESSED

The producers say they were instantly impressed by his "natural ability and screen presence".

Last night, Hollywood actor Brian F O'Byrne, who plays Detective Inspector Mick Moynihan, praised Mr O'Reilly's "rare natural talent" as an actor, describing him as an "extraordinary find".

The Tony-award winner said of his co-star: "As an actor, Kieran possesses an ease, a fluency and creativity on set that belies his novice status. In fact, it does the opposite, it marks him as someone exciting to watch in what I think will be a long career."
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/lovehates-reallife-garda-faces-inquiry-over-his-role-on-show-29659551.html

275975.JPG

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement