Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Lucy and Harry

He will make more money acting than as a Garda he should leave the Vice Squad.
    He did seem very good at acting but then again he only has to be himself.

Breaking news John Gilligan got a role as Nidges dad in the net episode. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Do people not read this thread? A lot of repetition over the last few pages

Many appear to not even watch the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I also hate the 'it's from Ireland, it must be crap' angles too. We have a huge presence in the history of world drama and a huge record of achievement too and we punch way above our weight as writers.
    RTE have had a good track record too in bringing the work of our best writers to the small screen. Groundbreaking drama is nothing new to them, a few examples would be Strumpet City, The astonishing and still remembered Victims Trilogy, Family, all maybe dated now but made huge impacts at the time.
    L/H is in the same league, have no doubt about it, but one of the reasons we have a great tradition in drama is because we 'talk' about it, in critical and analytical ways, we don't allow (as a rule) writing to just wash over us, we take it on board and we take it on and long may that continue, it's what makes us unique as a market. I don't know any writer worth his/her salt who is afraid of that.
    What I find interesting about L/H is that while it attracts a lot of comment it has also attracted a lot of people who seem to be interested in style over content to a large degree and I think that is always a dangerous departure for any writer or production company.
    2 episodes into this series and already I am seeing signs of the writers resisting the temptation to pander to that audience (the ones who only seem to want Fran to utter some cool a boola saying etc) and that is a good thing, if, of course, it works and it develops a set of characthers that remain interesting, in a real way and plotlines that are insightful and grounded in reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

i think they're going to have to squeeze alot into the next 4 episodes.we're still to see nidge hiding under the bed and him talking with Fran on the need to know basis.i think its slow moving but could really explode.its keeping us guessing.will Fran find out about nidge petrol bombing his house?will tommy,siobhan or Martin testify against the gang?will nidge get clipped?will warren?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,020 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I also hate the 'it's from Ireland, it must be crap' angles too. We have a huge presence in the history of world drama and a huge record of achievement too and we punch way above our weight as writers.
    RTE have had a good track record too in bringing the work of our best writers to the small screen. Groundbreaking drama is nothing new to them, a few examples would be Strumpet City, The astonishing and still remembered Victims Trilogy, Family, all maybe dated now but made huge impacts at the time.
    L/H is in the same league, have no doubt about it, but one of the reasons we have a great tradition in drama is because we 'talk' about it, in critical and analytical ways, we don't allow (as a rule) writing to just wash over us, we take it on board and we take it on and long may that continue, it's what makes us unique as a market. I don't know any writer worth his/her salt who is afraid of that.
    What I find interesting about L/H is that while it attracts a lot of comment it has also attracted a lot of people who seem to be interested in style over content to a large degree and I think that is always a dangerous departure for any writer or production company.
    2 episodes into this series and already I am seeing signs of the writers resisting the temptation to pander to that audience (the ones who only seem to want Fran to utter some cool a boola saying etc) and that is a good thing, if, of course, it works and it develops a set of characthers that remain interesting, in a real way and plotlines that are insightful and grounded in reality.
    grand so happy man! Now lets be havin episode 3!

• Advertisement

Agree with this, many want to see constant shootings, murders and fights without any plot or character development. Many are comparing it to the Wire, but a lot of people here would not manage to get through the first season, never mind the slow second one which in fact sets a lot of things up for later, of that program.

I blame modern technology on it reducing peoples attention spans. Back in my day when we only had 2 channels and no smart phones you have no choice but to sit through a tv program yadda yadda yadda :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Yes, this is very very true. Some people are overly negative about Irish drama and then are really surprised by how good it can be! Love/Hate is clearly one of the best to come out of here or anywhere in the last decade. I remember Family (written by Roddy Doyle). Likewise, this was excellent and brave to show issues of deprivation and abuse and Charlo was a complete thug but a great character. Fair City when it deals with such issues is also excellent, with Paddy Bishop being a similar character to those in Love/Hate and Family.

I guess that what has tarnished Irish drama is a succession of poor ones but while the US, UK and other countries also has its fair share of these, there tends to be an inbuilt inferiority complex in Irish people and we think of the bad rather than the good.

True, the likes of The Big Bow Wow, On Home Ground, Trouble in Paradise, etc. all were (to be as kind as possible) underdeveloped/halfbaked at best. Some of the ideas in them were fine but not acted or written well. I think they were too broad and did not know what they really were. Like, The Big Bow Wow was part Sex in the City, part Miami Vice, part Fair City, part The Commitments, but ultimately had no identity. Love/Hate clearly has an identity as a gangland drama with realistic characters that as the title implies one has a love/hate relationship with. So, we should sit back and enjoy all the good Irish dramas when they come along and support them. The upcoming Haughey drama with many Love/Hate actors in it will be very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

When Fran does his 'Ging gan gooly' thing in the interview, after it he leans into the detective and says something, I've watched it back a couple of times and still don't know what he says.

Can anyone enlighten me?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Surley most of those people would remember something about a lead up to a car crash , or that it was an actual road accident to begin with though after a few months of trying to piece it togerher or re-trace their steps.
    If he remembers most people surley he remembers Dano, the Ra episode or the person marked "mad bitch" in his phone contacts.

It's convenient that he dosn't remember any of this but knows exactly who someone like Fran is .

That's quite normal for brain injuries, it's called retrograde amnesia. The hippocampus is responsible for memory consolidation - it moves short-term memory into long-term memory. If it is damaged, the short-term memories leading up to the event can be lost.

When my father suffered his first heart attack, he had been on a short break with my mother in Wexford. They had spent the morning walking in the Irish National Heritage Park in Wexford. He later went into cardiac arrest late that afternoon while in the gym. When he regained consciousness in the hospital he would instantly forget any conversations we had with him for the first day or two. I think on the first day he told me about ten times who he thought was having a good season in Formula One.

He was transferred to Dublin a day or two later and his ability to form memories returned. However, all he could ever remember of his trip to Wexford was driving there. The hotel, walking in the park, and being in the hospital - none of that ever made it into his long-term memory due to the trauma his brain suffered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

kfallon wrote: »
    When Fran does his 'Ging gan gooly' thing in the interview, after it he leans into the detective and says something, I've watched it back a couple of times and still don't know what he says.

Can anyone enlighten me?

It's help I need, not hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Dfmnoc

kfallon wrote: »

Can anyone enlighten me?

Its help i need not hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

While I too hate the "it's Irish, it must be crap" argument, I also hate the opposite view when people make it out to be the best drama ever just because it's a good show that happens to be made in Ireland and good shows from here don't come around every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

WIZE wrote: »
    I heard on the Radio this morning that one of the Gardai in the show is a real Garda and is now under investigation for starring in the show
    there was more than one real garda in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

It's help I need, not hassle.
    Dfmnoc wrote: »
    Its help i need not hassle

Thanking ye both kindly! :)

i think they're going to have to squeeze alot into the next 4 episodes.we're still to see nidge hiding under the bed and him talking with Fran on the need to know basis.i think its slow moving but could really explode.its keeping us guessing.will Fran find out about nidge petrol bombing his house?will tommy,siobhan or Martin testify against the gang?will nidge get clipped?will warren?

I think that the first two episodes have set things up nicely. Nidge has a load of dangerous enemies on his heels, Fran has reunited with an old enemy who broke his teeth, and Elmo once again is going into his being 'blamed in the wrong' role.

Nidge with the sword is coming up with obviously an attempted hit on him that goes wrong with perhaps Wayne sacrificed. Then, Dano and Lizzie probably will lull Nidge into a false sense of security with Nidge saying in the trailer 'I thought it was sorted, but it's not' or something along that line.

I assume Tommy will regain his memory as things go along, and he surely knows about Nidge's pipe bombing and could tell Fran. So, you could have Fran added to the list of Nidge's enemies by episode 5 or 6. As said previous, I have a feeling the IRA's Tony will be Nidge's closest ally by the end.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Agree with this, many want to see constant shootings, murders and fights without any plot or character development. Many are comparing it to the Wire, but a lot of people here would not manage to get through the first season, never mind the slow second one which in fact sets a lot of things up for later, of that program.

I blame modern technology on it reducing peoples attention spans. Back in my day when we only had 2 channels and no smart phones you have no choice but to sit through a tv program yadda yadda yadda :D

Traditionally, Love/Hate has combined violence with great character development and this balance is what made all the twists and turns so exciting and made us feel engaged with the characters. The combining of ordinary family life (for example, Nidge's child going to school, preparing for the communion, the birthday and communion parties being organised, etc.) with gangland life shows us that drug dealers have family and regular lives as well.

Also, Love/Hate can be very humorous as well. Some of these include when Nidge's son goes to the toilet on top of Santa and Nidge says 'sorry Santi'. Another is Fran's 'ging gang gooly' song in the last episode, and another is Nidge giving out to the clown (i.e. party entertainer) at his son's party when the clown wants to go home early and charge a full day's fee.

Series 4 has had its violent scenes and character development. I'm sure that Fran's fight scene is the beginning of another story angle that will have serious consequences later on. The character development of course in the second episode was all about the gardai and corrupt cop Martin will be under pressure from both his colleagues and Nidge. Would not want to be him at present!

Can we also put any discussion of what was shown in trailers for upcoming episodes in spoiler tags and flag it as such ? Many of use switch off before the "Next week" bit or any ads purposely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Did anybody else not hear the story about the betting scam over Dano going to be the next character to be killed? Bookies closing down the takings cos someone went in and made a big huge bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

shanec1928 wrote: »
    there was more than one real garda in it.

How many?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jackson Pollock

I'm looking forward to seeing Lizzie donning a clown suit..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

WIZE wrote: »
    How many?

Three at least

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Stiltzkin

Everyone's actual names are out. Tommy is really Thomas Daly, Aido is Adrian Kenny and Fran is Francis Cooney.

Stiltzkin wrote: »
    Everyone's actual names are out. Tommy is really Thomas Daly, Aido is Adrian Kenny and Fran is Francis Cooney.

Yes, this is a major change from last seasons. Episode 1 revealed Nidge as Nigel Delaney with Tommy, Fran and Aido revealed in the second episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BertMark

I totally agree that there is a problem with some people begrudging the show based on some subconscious self-loathing they have for all things Irish, but there's also the opposite side of that, which is the "We're only a small country, so anything half decent from here must be great, grand etc." Neither attitude allows for an honest assessment of the work on artistic merits.

L/H is an excellent show and I had problems with the last episode because I felt it didn't live up to those standards of good character development, acting and originality. I felt it lowered its own highly set bar. But if I have that problem it doesn't mean I'm looking for problems because I want to begrudge because its homegrown, it means I'm judging it on the same level I would any top UK or US show.

IMO I'm showing it respect in that sense and anyone who would jump to its defence with the argument of "For what Ireland is L/H is brilliant so you're being too harsh on it and need to pipe down your begrudging" is being patronising to the makers and failing to give the show the respect it deserves. They're professionals and artists first, and Irish men and women second. We can take pride in their work as Irish people, but we can't let it cloud our judgement of them as artists.

FWIW, a lot of people are claiming the most recent episode disappointed some people because it was (to paraphrase) "slow paced and thoughtful and this won't suit those who want action all the time". The last episode was anything but slow and thoughtful. There were plot twists coming a mile a minute and I felt it was rushed and, at times, weaker because of that. Just because nobody pulled a gun doesn't mean it wasn't going for the quick, easy dramatic fix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

deise08 wrote: »
    Did anybody else not hear the story about the betting scam over Dano going to be the next character to be killed? Bookies closing down the takings cos someone went in and made a big huge bet

No.

What bookie these days would take bets on a pre-recorded TV show that people could easily have prior knowledge of?

They deserve to be ripped off if they're that stupid.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    No.

What bookie these days would take bets on a pre-recorded TV show that people could easily have prior knowledge of?

They deserve to be ripped off if they're that stupid.

You can bet on WWE wrestling. Honestly, you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

BertMark wrote: »
    You can bet on WWE wrestling. Honestly, you can.

But..... but....... that's REAL?

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    But..... but....... that's REAL?

I think The Undertaker's looked really sharp this year. I'm betting the house on him for Wrestlemania.*

*Betting warning: This is not a legitimate tip. It's just the only wrestler's name I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

"Where are you from?"
    "Ireland?"
    "Go on"

a small insight into the complex screening process of customs and excise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

BertMark wrote: »
    I think The Undertaker's looked really sharp this year. I'm betting the house on him for Wrestlemania.*

*Betting warning: This is not a legitimate tip. It's just the only wrestler's name I can remember.

Ha ha was just goin to ask was he still going ha ha ha

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement