Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

The 3rd season started of with a bang with the rape and killing of Git and it was a season that was all about the gang trying to cover their tracks and trying to stay alive, The 4th season is about the guards trying to bring down the gang, They are totally different but in this season you just know even though it's slower than last season it's going to end with a bang and plenty of bloodshed, It's building up nicely, I have enjoyed the first 2 episodes but I reckon come the end of this season the first 2 episodes will feel like a long time ago

Who raped Git?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

D-FENS wrote: »
    "Where are you from?"
    "Ireland?"
    "Go on"

a small insight into the complex screening process of customs and excise

You have to point to the red hair at the same time.

That scene made Dublin Port look a hell of a lot more secure than it was the last time I got a ferry.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

D-FENS wrote: »
    "Where are you from?"
    "Ireland?"
    "Go on"

a small insight into the complex screening process of customs and excise

All he was scanning was her ass!

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Deco99

So many pages, cant get through them all. Has anyone else been on since Sunday feeling that the undercover cops are a drop in standard for the show? Dont want to be cruel to presumably actors who are not full time but they seem to me to be way below the high standards of the show.

Oh and novelty tv bets usually carry a max bet limit of around twenty quid, usually just a gimmick, no big money to be made. the wrestling odds are shocking. Undertaker would be a heavy fancy for wrestlemania, given he is undefeated there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

deise08 wrote: »
    Did anybody else not hear the story about the betting scam over Dano going to be the next character to be killed? Bookies closing down the takings cos someone went in and made a big huge bet

No bookie would take a 'big huge bet' on a novelty market like this, you'd be lucky to get 50 quid on in any shop!

Now if they went round different shops and all had 50 on at the same time then they may have got away with it!

Be surprised if any bookmaker laid odds about a pre-recorded show tbh!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

kfallon wrote: »
    Be surprised if any bookmaker laid odds about a pre-recorded show tbh!

There's a big crew on the show. There's no way they could ensure that one of them doesn't mention to a friend who gets killed in the next episode so they could quietly make a few grand on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,020 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i find the pace to be pretty fast, lots of comments here saying it's slow...does slow mean a lack of killing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Just read about this today -

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/lovehates-newest-star-an-undercover-cop-playing-an-undercover-cop-29657220.html

Very interesting if that is the case. I wonder will he move on from the force.

i'd say the gardai pay better than love hate to be fair.

DellyBelly wrote: »
    Just read about this today -

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/lovehates-newest-star-an-undercover-cop-playing-an-undercover-cop-29657220.html

Very interesting if that is the case. I wonder will he move on from the force.

Seriously people! Have you been following this thread or just jumping in at the end?

All this stuff is covered pages back......

There's a ridiculous amount of repetition in the 2 days.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

Seriously people! Have you been following this thread or just jumping in at the end?

All this stuff is covered pages back......

There's a ridiculous amount of repetition in the 2 days.
    yeah unless you actually get access to the main papers before they are released then there's no point in posting news, as it's not news!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

i find the pace to be pretty fast, lots of comments here saying it's slow...does slow mean a lack of killing?

Wouldn't call it fast or slow myself maybe a little less scheming going on by the central gang. Tbf the dentist thing is a bit boring , the detectives scenes are a bit boring and the scenes with the women who runs the brothel are a bit dragged. Fast enough other than that.

Even at its slowest it's still twice the speed of a show like Top Boy which is an example of a show thats just too slow and with very little pay off .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Tbf the dentist thing is a bit boring , the detectives scenes are a bit boring and the scenes with the women who runs the brothel are a bit dragged. Fast enough other than that.

You just mentioned 3 main story threads of the series right there.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    You just mentioned 3 main story threads of the series right there.

Is that good or bad

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

Breaking news John Gilligan got a role as Nidges dad in the net episode. :pac:

Doubtful given Nidges dad is buried in the same graveyard as John Boy and Hughie....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

No mentions of acting Gardai, what Nidge has on Gda Martin or the height of graffiti in the following post:

I reckon Fran is going to be instrumental in the downfall of Nidge. Whether he pops him, outs him to the IRA (Tony, not Dano) or even goes against him to the Guards, it'll be Franno who turns the screw.

I also think they are trying too hard to make the Detective characters likable to the audience, hence the strained script and the dodgy one liners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Is that good or bad

Well it doesn't leave a whole lot that's getting you excited.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Nidge has two sides: he has a caring side and a tough side. His speech to Darren about not caring about anything only Warren shows a mix of the two: he does care about Warren, his new son, Trish, and obviously Darren too. What makes Nidge likeable is that he does have a caring side. Some of Nidge's softer moments include:

-His utter revulsion at being ordered to pipe bomb Fran's house with Linda (Fran's then girlfriend) in it. Don't anyone tell Fran !!:D
    -His breaking down crying to Trish when he has to kill Darren for the IRA.
    -His moving Trish and Warren out of the house in case they get attacked. This was part of series 2 and something similar will come up in season 4 too.
    -His visiting Darren's grave.
    I remember posting about this at the time. Nidge likes to think he's immoveably tough, but his true nature betrays him every now and again.

The speech about not caring about anyone but Warren was what he wanted to portray, but when he broke down while talking to Trish, he said he had no idea why he was crying. This was his softer side betraying him and showing that he's not as stone cold as he would like to believe.

This is why I reckon if this season does result in the Guards getting a hold of Nidge, he'll sell everyone else out to save himself. Both because he doesn't care about them but also because he's too soft to spend 20 years in jail.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

My tuppence worth :

this season the guards will take Nidge, and break him in the process (destroy his family etc)
    Fran takes the reins as a "caretaker" and shows himself to be an absolute ruthless p**ck
    season ends with Nidge in prison.

Next season :

Nidge surviving prison , trying to keep hold of the gang , gets betrayed and abandoned by Fran who becomes the De Facto boss.
    Becomes a junkie in jail - bitter justice for a man responsible for importing drugs.

Beyond this - crystal ball is cloudy. :pac::pac:

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Well it doesn't leave a whole lot that's getting you excited.

True.

Thankfully the women who runs the brothel isn't a main storyline and hopefully the dentist thing is wrapped up or put on hold as I don't think it would have even qualified as an actual storyline in any of the previous series.

And I'm bored with cop shows so a Gardai storyline isn't gonna really grab me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 BertMark

horgan_p wrote: »
    My tuppence worth :

this season the guards will take Nidge, and break him in the process (destroy his family etc)
    Fran takes the reins as a "caretaker" and shows himself to be an absolute ruthless p**ck
    season ends with Nidge in prison.

Next season :

Nidge surviving prison , trying to keep hold of the gang , gets betrayed and abandoned by Fran who becomes the De Facto boss.
    Becomes a junkie in jail - bitter justice for a man responsible for importing drugs.

Beyond this - crystal ball is cloudy. :pac::pac:

Carolan has said he wants to cover the prisons at some point so we could well see something like this happen. It could make for an interesting storyline between the boss inside and the acting boss outside.

Linda will approach fran via ouija board and tell him "oooooooooh nidge was doin me up da gooother"

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

no i think Nidge should be kept on for another season at least but Fran could carry on as boss eventually. it would depend on who they would bring in to carry the show on without the quality dropping. as i mentioned i reckon colm meaney could come on board in some bad ass way. he has the mean persona to carry it off if he wanted...intermission style :D me tunes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I think Nidge will be taken out Martin Cahill style by the RA....

BertMark wrote: »
    the boss inside and the acting boss outside.

Pretty much how it works here in real life.

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    I agree it's a great show and i'm delighted it's irish made, a real step in the right direction for RTE..

But as much as people putting it down for the sake of it is annoying, so too is burying your head in the sand and ignoring any flaws it may/may not have. I for one think the cop angle is extremely weak thus far, one of the only weak points of the show. Pretty sure i'm entitled to say that.

Every show has its flaws. The end justifies the means though and overall the show is A+ for me anyway. I far prefer to sit down to a good drama then alot of the films and some of the brainless soaps and reality tv dross that TV stations seem to be churning out

I have no problem with people in general picking out faults but there is many who are not as quick to pick out the flaws of some non-irish shows. Some of the nit picking ive came across smacks of nothing only pure Irish begrudgery. No reasoning with them in explaining that the producers are on a limited budget, etc just straight in and tear strips off it.

Ive started to watch the Wire recently and to be honest it looks like a brilliant show thus far.. Anything with Dominic West naturally has me sold because that guy can seriously act. We must realise though that HBO could probably fund Love/hate out of their petty cash box by comparison to RTE/Octagon.

The introduction of Fran's nemesis the other night was clever writing. In a way it goes to show that these criminals egos are so huge that they can never go about their lives without treading on the toes of others and no matter how much money they have there is always a threat to them lurking around somewhere. Eamon Dunne for example was alleged to have been bedding 4 of his henchmen's wives, even paying for one of them to get a boob job done

Will be interesting to see if Noelie will spring up again with a surprise by the end of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

BertMark wrote: »
    I think The Undertaker's looked really sharp this year. I'm betting the house on him for Wrestlemania.*

*Betting warning: This is not a legitimate tip. It's just the only wrestler's name I can remember.

Just so you know, The Undertaker has appeared 20 times at Wrestlemania and won 20 times. :p You won't be making any money on that!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

anyone know where i can watch the first episode of this series?? bloody rte took it down and when i do find it it wont load

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

A V A wrote: »
    anyone know where i can watch the first episode of this series?? bloody rte took it down and when i do find it it wont load

Each episode only stays on the player for a week.

The DVD is out pretty much from the day after the series finishes. Pretty sure that's the only legal place you can see it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement