Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 merro10

Regarding the whole soundtrack being different on DVD, this is correct. I was a late comer to the show and watched series 1-3 back to back on DVD. The 1st episode of series 3 ended with Gene Pitneys song 24 hours from Tulsa, whereas the DVD version had an instrumental track that I'm not familiar with.

I'm liking this series so far. I think they will go back to the aftermath of Darren in the coming episodes. I'm one of the few that misses having him in the show but still love it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Any one clever enough to think of a love hate drinking game??? You know the kind take one sip every time Debbie shoots up. take two drinks every time a gun is fired kinda thing. as we can see I'm hopeless. Amazed haven't heard of one. :)
    Sorry lads if it be off topic.

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

deise08 wrote: »
    Any one clever enough to think of a love hate drinking game??? You know the kind take one sip every time Debbie shoots up. take two drinks every time a gun is fired kinda thing. as we can see I'm hopeless. Amazed haven't heard of one. :)

Your challenge: come up with rules by 9:30 on Sunday amd I'd say you'll have a few takers here!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BertMark

I heard someone the other day say they think that because there was no funeral for Darren it will transpire that everything so far in this series is a dream and whoever is dreaming will wake up and it will be the day of Darren's funeral.

Honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

BertMark wrote: »
    I heard someone the other day say they think that because there was no funeral for Darren it will transpire that everything so far in this series is a dream and whoever is dreaming will wake up and it will be the day of Darren's funeral.

Honestly.
    Ill throw the tv out the window.

• Advertisement

Honestly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

kippy wrote: »
    kippy wrote: »

2 telly's? Posh git! (or Christopher! :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

Honestly.

The 1st teaser trailer released in the summer saw
    Darren in a box.....

Happyman42 wrote: »
    2 telly's? Posh git! (or Christopher! :) )

Anything I post via my phone recently gets double posted for some reason........
    But yea, Id throw both tv's and my phone from the window.........
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Pretty.Odd.

deise08 wrote: »

I think the journal.ie had one before the first episode of this season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

I think the journal.ie had one before the first episode of this season!

Ah right no worries was just wondering :) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

seamus wrote: »
    I remember posting about this at the time. Nidge likes to think he's immoveably tough, but his true nature betrays him every now and again.

The speech about not caring about anyone but Warren was what he wanted to portray, but when he broke down while talking to Trish, he said he had no idea why he was crying. This was his softer side betraying him and showing that he's not as stone cold as he would like to believe.

This is why I reckon if this season does result in the Guards getting a hold of Nidge, he'll sell everyone else out to save himself. Both because he doesn't care about them but also because he's too soft to spend 20 years in jail.

The whole Tommy thing suggests he lets guilt and remorse rule his head over common sense,
    the trailer for the next episode sees to show him pleading Tommys side to Fran
    , I reckon you're right on selling the others out, at the moment they don't have anything on Nidge, just Fran and Tommy.

The Fran vs. Nidge story will start playing a big part from next week I'd say, self protection from Nidge and Fran spotting Nidge is going soft.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Honestly.

This was already done once on a TV series so this mistake will not be made again!! However, I would not rule out a flashback to Darren's funeral or something.

merro10 wrote: »
    I'm liking this series so far. I think they will go back to the aftermath of Darren in the coming episodes. I'm one of the few that misses having him in the show but still love it so far.

Same here. Love the new series too but miss Darren. Series 1 and 2 were all about Darren and his struggles with his conscience as I already noted but it was Nidge who more and more took off as the most popular character thus series 3 and 4 concentrated more on him.

Darren was the one guy I think Nidge cared a lot about and he misses him. That theme is going to come up again. I'd say Fran and Nidge's relationship will disimprove and so too will Dano and Tony's. Tony and Nidge will become close I'd say but Dano and Fran could not join forces for too long as Nidge knows Fran was involved in burying Git. Tommy surely knows about Nidge's pipe bombing of Fran's girlfriend? So, there will be a lot of tensions boiling here.

I set up a poll on Love/Hate's baddies here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057060900

Fran the Man tops the list as the person people love to hate the most, with Nidge in second place so far. Git and Hughie come joint third with some also giving Elmo, Lizzie, Stumpy, John Boy and even Tommy a point each. Dano, Wayne, Darren, Luke, Tony and Ado have not scored yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

It's all set up lovely for the next 4 episodes. I seriously cannot wait for it. It's going to be absolutely brilliant, methinks. I was worried that the 3rd Season would lose itself a little after the unbelievable stuff in Season 2. But no.

And thusfar have not been disappointed by Season 4. Not as explosive or Michael Bay as some might like to the start, but I prefer a slower-burning storyline anyway.

And also, once again, Fran is the best character in it. Has been for ages. I just love it how during the Tiger kidnap, all the rest of them had normal balaclavas on, but he just had to have a weird devil mask on. Just suited him so well.

The scenes where he's dealing with the victims is priceless:

<child crying; Fran comes striding over with the devil mask and a sawn-off shotgun> "Ah for Jaysis' sake! We're not goin to hurt yiz. But if she keeps it up, I have to put the masking tape over her mouth!"

Mother: "She's having a panic attack!"

Fran: "And I'm after tellin' her not to panic!" <waves shotgun in their direction; leering from behind devil mask>

Mother: "You're not fúckin' helping!"

Classic.

Or when he does his Usain Bolt impression chasing the would-be escapee, and his words to Tommy: "You're some fúckin' jackdaw!"

Best character in it, by a long distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

DazMarz wrote: »
    It's all set up lovely for the next 4 episodes. I seriously cannot wait for it. It's going to be absolutely brilliant, methinks. I was worried that the 3rd Season would lose itself a little after the unbelievable stuff in Season 2. But no.

And thusfar have not been disappointed by Season 4. Not as explosive or Michael Bay as some might like to the start, but I prefer a slower-burning storyline anyway.

And also, once again, Fran is the best character in it. Has been for ages. I just love it how during the Tiger kidnap, all the rest of them had normal balaclavas on, but he just had to have a weird devil mask on. Just suited him so well.

<child crying; Fran comes striding over with the devil mask and a sawn-off shotgun> "Ah for Jaysis' sake! We're not goin to hurt yiz. But if she keeps it up, I have to put the masking tape over her mouth!"

Fran: "And I'm after tellin' her not to panic!" <waves shotgun in their direction; leering from behind devil mask>

Classic.

Or when he does his Usain Bolt impression chasing the would-be escapee, and his words to Tommy: "You're some fúckin' jackdaw!"

im the complete opposite i cant stand fran that scene in the station when they were interviewing him and he did the mad dance thing was cringey

im really hoping he dies soon

Ah sure, one man's meat is another man's poison. I just personally think he's brilliant.

Now Darren, on the other hand. Mis-cast. Completely. Didn't mind the character, but the like of Eamonn Owens (who had a bit-part cameo as an IRA stooge at the end of the third season) might have been a better shout as Darren. But he was there to keep viewers who wanted a bit of eye-candy happy! :P

I can't see them killing Fran off any time soon, though. Really can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,897 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

biggebruv wrote: »
    im the complete opposite i cant stand fran that scene in the station when they were interviewing him and he did the mad dance thing was cringey

im really hoping he dies soon

That was a reference to Martin Cahill.

It was a device to show that these guys have no respect or fear of the system.

Classic.

It's a toss between Fran and Nidge for me. I guarantee we will see some great scenes from both through this series.

• Advertisement

Ah sure, one man's meat is another man's poison. I just personally think he's brilliant.

Now Darren, on the other hand. Mis-cast. Completely. Didn't mind the character, but the like of Eamonn Owens (who had a bit-part cameo as an IRA stooge at the end of the third season) might have been a better shout as Darren. But he was there to keep viewers who wanted a bit of eye-candy happy! :P

I can't see them killing Fran off any time soon, though. Really can't.

I think Nidge and now Fran have emerged as the big favourites so probably they will survive I hope.

Darren in many ways was a contradiction in terms: kind, gentle, misplaced seemingly one minute and then the ruthless hitman the next. I think Robert Sheehan was excellent in the role and perfect for both sides of his complex makeup.

That was a reference to Martin Cahill.

It was a device to show that these guys have no respect or fear of the system.

Definitely, shades of Martin The General Cahill here with Fran's ging gang gooley scene. I recall that Cahill did do something very very similar in front of a camera outside a courthouse a few times!

Gangsters have a sense of humour in both fact and fiction and you can see many examples of it from both Fran and Nidge in the series. Compared to the IRA characters who are 100% dark and sinister (and take the system seriously as an obstacle to their 32 county dream), the gangland figures show in both violent and humorous ways they don't give a damn for the system and don't take it seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,897 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Definitely, shades of Martin The General Cahill here with Fran's ging gang gooley scene. I recall that Cahill did do something very very similar in front of a camera outside a courthouse a few times!

Gangsters have a sense of humour in both fact and fiction and you can see many examples of it from both Fran and Nidge in the series. Compared to the IRA characters who are 100% dark and sinister (and take the system seriously as an obstacle to their 32 county dream), the gangland figures show in both violent and humorous ways they don't give a damn for the system and don't take it seriously!

Yes - as true as that is.

I hope this Drama - gives the authorities the balls to get the finger out.

It is awful to think drama is a driver in societal change - but - for **** sake when the likes of these lads open fire at a pub, it is time for change.

Perhaps Gilligan getting out and the glamorisation of Love/Hate, is enough for change.

This is an example where there should be no limit on overtime - if the lads earn 100,000 euro + and keep these ****ers off the streets well done.

You know when Guards are acting and Love/Hate is cool - the balance is wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

This was already done once on a TV series so this mistake will not be made again!! However, I would not rule out a flashback to Darren's funeral or something.

Has anybody dug him up to make sure he's not like... supernaturally death proof or anything?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

can't see nidge making it to the end, too many people in for him.

Nidge and Fran will still be there in the finale, and I don't think they'll be friends

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Some of the questions in this thread are funnier than "F*ck off back to Japan", "the turd one's loose" and "Obama in the back" combined.

And they were bloody hilarious tv moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Yes - as true as that is.

I hope this Drama - gives the authorities the balls to get the finger out.

It is awful to think drama is a driver in societal change - but - for **** sake when the likes of these lads open fire at a pub, it is time for change.

Perhaps Gilligan getting out and the glamorisation of Love/Hate, is enough for change.

This is an example where there should be no limit on overtime - if the lads earn 100,000 euro + and keep these ****ers off the streets well done.

You know when Guards are acting and Love/Hate is cool - the balance is wrong

so do you think all the real life gangs do be watching saying "gowan fran ya f"""king legend ya":D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Why is Nidge asking the dentist for money? Is it just blackmail because he was using a brothel or is there something else I missed? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Cahill had the famous trousers down scene.

You've a tad idyllic sense of gangsters though, Cahill was often seen as the last of the ordinary, decent criminals left, and he'd his moments!

Those from the last 10 years or so aren't seen in the same vein as Cahill at all. Maybe that's Guards and their "in my day" mysticism"?

I'd also question your view of the IRA taking the system seriously, but that's for another thread!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

Posy wrote: »
    Why is Nidge asking the dentist for money? Is it just blackmail because he was using a brothel or is there something else I missed? :o

Not money any more; initially started out by squeezing him for money, but also Nidge knew that he'd never be able to pay. So the dentist will now have to pay his debt off in another way.

In this case, importing large quantities of Lidocaine powder for the gang to use as a mixing agent. Lidocaine is used widely as a dental sedative, but it is a controlled substance. Ordinary people (and criminals) cannot import it. But dentists can, legally.

They're not after money any longer, they're using him to bring in drugs for them (legal, controlled ones).

Similar situation as the episode of The Sopranos, "Bust Out", where the gang extort a debt from the owner of a sporting goods store by ordering stock on his line of credit and so on.

It can happen to legitimate business owners that they inadvertently get mixed up with criminals and such things can happen to them; protection rackets, getting "taxed", "bust-outs" and so on.

We all sit here and have a good laugh at the lads; Nidge and Fran, or Tony, Paulie and Silvio. It's all so cool and dangerous. But imagine how terrifying it would be in real life to be a solid citizen, to know lads like this and worst of all, knowing you've attracted their attention...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement