Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    It was the same when Siobhan rang 999, they didnt say Garda at any point, just Police
    dave1982 wrote: »
    When she phoned the Guards last night they answered "Hello Police"

They keep referring to Solicitors as Lawyers

At least she didn't ring 911

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

walshb wrote: »
    Either Fran clips Nidge or vice versa. In any gang there can really be only one leader, and it's clear that both these guys have such storing personalities. Fran really displays a lack of any fear of Nidge. It's becoming clearer with each episiode, whereas Nidge seems to be displaying a little fear of Fran.

Seems to be heading towards a showdown with them two alright, but at the same time it's not as straightforward as that. From what we've seen, Fran doesn't have any kind of realistic gang, he's always just been a nutjob for hire with an ally or two. Nidge, on the other hand, has the likes of Aido, Elmo, Tommy etc with the street dealers then waiting in the wings.

Not that they'd be particularly loyal to him (Elmo especially), but why wouldn't they try and seize power themselves in the vacuum if he was killed? Think back to when John Boy was killed, Nidge was appointed the de facto leader because he and Darren both decided to make a move and made it look like it was someone else so there was no repercussions. It's like the Breaking Bad line, "Just because you shot Jesse James, it don't make you Jesse James." Fran would know all of this. Killing Nidge could cut off his money train.

There's going to have to be something else that pushes Fran to move (finding out about Nidge and his ex anyone?). On the other hand, Nidge could potentially make his move now, it's just a case of who'd do it if Darren isn't around? Because it can't go wrong and we've already seen how tough it is to clip Fran.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Slightly off topic but there are rumors now of a US remake (sigh) so just wondering, if that goes ahead will it delay / halt production of the Irish version, or can they be produced side by side?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Totally agree with you.

I have the feeling that Tommy is pretending to be brain-damaged?

I could be wrong but he either wants out of the gang or wants to catch a few of them off-guard and then plot their downfall?

We shall see.

I don't think Tommy is smart enough to act brain damaged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭aisr1ofk43dpy5

Was just thinking bout nidge and frans ex earlier. Who else knew about that at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Slightly off topic but there are rumors now of a US remake (sigh) so just wondering, if that goes ahead will it delay / halt production of the Irish version, or can they be produced side by side?

Would assume that they would be totally seperate productions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

The US version would have almost no input from anyone involved in our L/H as far as I know, when things are remade for US Tv, a network will just buy rights to the characters/story etc and then do their own thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,916 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I can see Nidge and Fran splitting and rival gangs being set up. This would be in keeping with real-life crime in the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

It wouldn't have an effect on the Irish one at all really - except it would improve DVD sales of the original over there if it took off.
    Was just thinking bout nidge and frans ex earlier. Who else knew about that at the time.

Darren did. But obviously he's not going to tell Fran unless it's through a ouija board.

I don't know who else knew but I suspect Fran is going to find out somehow before the end of the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

They keep referring to Solicitors as Lawyers
    I'd say they are using generic names to help syndication of the show around the world.

• Advertisement

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    The US version would have almost no input from anyone involved in our L/H as far as I know, when things are remade for US Tv, a network will just buy rights to the characters/story etc and then do their own thing...

That's what I don't quite understand though, when one "buys the rights" does that mean they now own the characters etc or are they sort of renting them? Is it a transfer of copyright ownership or a leasing of it?

In other words - if I write something and then someone buys the rights to make a spinoff, do I still have the right to produce further works with the characters I've "sold"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

have you a link for this or did you just hear it from someone?
    I highly doubt the US would remake this. It just wouldn't work and there's nothing unique in it. A network could just make any american gang(i don't think they would use Dublin) tv show and not have to pay RTE a royalty

That's what I don't quite understand though, when one "buys the rights" does that mean they now own the characters etc or are they sort of renting them? Is it a transfer of copyright ownership or a leasing of it?

In other words - if I write something and then someone buys the rights to make a spinoff, do I still have the right to produce further works with the characters I've "sold"?

It all depends on the contract. When The Office was sold to the US it started off very similar to the original and then found it's own way, royalties were still due to Gervais for the concept and characters.

Other shows like Who's The Boss are remade (into The Upper Hand) and they basically re-shoot every episode with the same script, even the layout of the set as the same with those two.

In this case they'd probably just sell the rights for someone to create an American version of it and shouldn't impact on their rights to make a spin off or further series within the current Love/Hate "Universe". For example The Bridge was originally made in Denmark/Sweden and has since been remade in USA/Mexico and France/Britain (as The Tunnel).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

some great one liners. I wonder how Carolan comes up with some, obviously he invents some, but others are ones you hear around Dublin, or could imagine hearing in a pub or party. He must have a little note book on him every night out , lol.

Funniest quote of the night. Aido turnes to Nidge after messing with the kids and with a serious face declares - F'kin kids doing me head in" - while still in a high pitched voice. :)

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    It was the same when Siobhan rang 999, they didnt say Garda at any point, just Police

Siobhán asked to speak to the police. If people do that the Guards will respond with the word police as there are a lot of people who don't know what 'Gardaí' means.

As someone says above police are police the world over - even the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,680 ✭✭✭✭walshb

leggo wrote: »

Because it can't go wrong and we've already seen how tough it is to clip Fran.

Absolutely. It's just as tough to even mark his face. Smash his head into a wall, and his face into a toilet sink and he looks brand new.:rolleyes:

EyeSight wrote: »
    have you a link for this or did you just hear it from someone?
    I highly doubt the US would remake this. It just wouldn't work and there's nothing unique in it. A network could just make any american gang(i don't think they would use Dublin) tv show and not have to pay RTE a royalty

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/lovehate-director-would-be-flattered-to-work-on-us-adaptation-29676888.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

walshb wrote: »
    Absolutely. It's just as tough to even mark his face. Smash his head into a wall, and his face into a toilet sink and he looks brand new.:rolleyes:

I don't get your point. He fought off two guys who had him at point blank range with a shotgun? And he won the fight you refer to?

leggo wrote: »
    I don't get your point. He fought off two guys who had him at point blank range with a shotgun? And he won the fight you refer to?

He's criticising the poor make-up continuity. Although I did notice Elmo sporting a scar in Episode 2 from being bitten by Git last season which was a decent touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Don't get why Nidge is so hyper to save Tommy's life when he nearly killed him himself.

I would say a part of it is about control. He's the one who decides who lives and dies, not Fran.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Southern Belle

wow sierra wrote: »
    Yeah I felt the same - when Siobhan broke down in tears of relief in Nidges arms I felt like doing the same. Brilliant stuff.

Oh and to the people asking all the questions I would recommend watching each episode twice (at least ;)) - it's worth it.

Absolutely - straight to RTE One +1 after it finishes - every week, amazing how much you miss on the first watch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭sok2005

Does anyone else think Tommy is pulling a Keyser Söze???

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Don't get why Nidge is so hyper to save Tommy's life when he nearly killed him himself.

I think that's probably part of it, if you watch the original attack clip he seems to have immediate remorse and going by their dialogue in the first episode of this season, he seems to be a tiny bit guilt ridden over it.
    So bearing that in mind, I'd say he now wants to protect Tommy as much as he can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

ectoraige wrote: »
    I would say a part of it is about control. He's the one who decides who lives and dies, not Fran.

Actually I would think it is partly remorse for what he did to Tommy. Since the demise of Darren he seems to have gone a little soft which has allowed Fran to get under his skin and also opened a window of opportunity for Fran.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

sok2005 wrote: »

1. Bleeding from ears

2. Going with Fran to his (almost) certain death

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    1. Bleeding from ears

2. Going with Fran to his (almost) certain death

I think he's definitely suffering since the beating, no doubt about that.
    But is he playing it up to bring down the empire from the inside?
    He had to go with Fran or else they'd question his brain damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I think he's definitely suffering since the beating, no doubt about that.

I suppose exposing yourself is all part of the plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

No. He wouldn't have known Nidge would have the opportunity to talk Fran out of killing him.

I suppose exposing yourself is all part of the plan!

The easiest part!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

That would be a remarkable twist, but I don't think so. Tommy is suffering brain damage and it looks like the complications from it will worsen what with the bleeding ears and headaches.

I think Tommy's role is key though. On one hand he is showing the harsh reality of surviving a severe beating, and it's cautionary. On the other he is also showing us that Nidge has some remorse. (Possibly a weakness in the underworld of criminality.)

This series I'm waiting for someone else to step up. I don't think Fran has the shrewdness to lead the gang, and Elmo is more of a yes man, Aido is back on the drugs, so Nidge hasn't really got someone he can totally trust when the sh*t hits the fan, and I believe it will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭conor2469

No he didn't. He could've just muttered some inane gibberish and wandered off down the street.
    The fact that he got into the van that time rules out any possible theory regarding him faking his brain damage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement