Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

deise08 wrote: »
    I wonder will they eventually incorporate other gangs?not this series but in future? you know as in the way there's gangs in limerick and with the traveller feuds? I wonder?

There was some mention that a traveller gang would be incorporated into it. This is probably planned for next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

kippy wrote: »
    I suppose there are could be a few reasons the writer hasn't really gone there this time out.
    1. They have a relatively limited amount of time per series, only so much you can fit in.
    2. He may feel there is already enough going on in each series and throughout the whole arc of the 4 series to keep viewers entertained (which in my opinion is probably correct)
    3. It takes time to develop characters, focusing on the key characters without diluting/introducing too many new ones is probably a good thing.
    4. They did it already (Frans gang and indeed the RA Gang)
    5. The way this series is going, there is nothing stopping them add another gang or multiple gangs down the line when they've run out of characters left to shoot in this gang. I havent seen Carolan interviewed but who is to know how many series he has in his head and how far ahead he is with story lines.

+1 for 4: also the Nigerian gang that did Tommy's brain in

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

+1 for 4: also the Nigerian gang that did Tommy's brain in

Sorry, how could I have forgotten the "nidgerian gang".
    Bunch of thugs....
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

gg2 wrote: »
    Am I the only one thinking this could be the last series - at least of Love/Hate as we know it?

Fran or Nidge clipped, Gardai close in on gang perhaps with help from Siobhan and or Tommy and everyone ends up in jail? Maybe if theres another series it will see Dano and the IRA come to the forefront?
    season 5 is in progress

Brianmeath wrote: »
    How did Siobhan know Fran was going to do Tommy in?

it was obvious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

season 5 is in progress

They're writing it at the minute?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Im a insane to think Debbie could take over as head of gang if both fran and nidge are out of the reckoning???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

gg2 wrote: »
    Am I the only one thinking this could be the last series - at least of Love/Hate as we know it?

Fran or Nidge clipped, Gardai close in on gang perhaps with help from Siobhan and or Tommy and everyone ends up in jail? Maybe if theres another series it will see Dano and the IRA come to the forefront?

The series 5 is commissioned but this current series could be the last series of Love/Hate as we know it. I would assume that one of the gang will end up dead and that another will end up in prison and run things from the inside.

I predict Nidge is too popular and iconic to kill off so he either continues on as before or ends up in prison (and later gets out on some technicality!). Fran, likewise, is very popular so I'd think that they will both be alive at the end of this season. We will in episode six no doubt see something very akin to episode six of series 3 with Nidge getting himself out of hot water at numerous levels. Perhaps, we could see him arrested and charged? And then a court case with him getting off would set up series 5.

Hard to know what will happen with the IRA. Clearly, Dano wants Nidge gone and Nidge will probably clip Wayne and Lizzie in the next couple of episodes. Dano's relations with Tony will disimprove and I'm quite sure Dano will be around in episode 6 as one of the many on Nidge's heels but will he survive?

If Dano gets clipped. Tony will more than likely be the one to do it. Tony will not take kindly to being disobeyed by Dano.

Whoever gets written out also depends on the actor. John Boy was written out for this very reason for example. Nidge is Love/Hate to many viewers and terms like 'I'm going to watch Nidge' or 'Nidge is on next' and the like reveal how iconic his character is.

So, I would go along with Nidge surviving: Dano could indeed go along with killing a relative of Nidge instead of Nidge himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭WhatNowForUs?

Im a insane to think Debbie could take over as head of gang if both fran and nidge are out of the reckoning???

Shes a druggie so I don't think so. She seems to have mentality for it but in her position not a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

I Season 5 will about the dentist breaking bad and taking over

• Advertisement

They've lined up a few potential Rats for Nidge.
    • Debbie
    • Tommy
    • Siobhan
    • Trish
    • Dentist
    • Aido

Elmo is a high risk at the minute.
    we also have:
    Nidge vs Fran
    Nidge vs Dano
    Nidge vs de wimmins

Nidge could still have an ally with the IRA (over dano's head)if he can come up with something in return ie weapons.
    The writer has certainly set this up nicely!

I Season 5 will about the dentist breaking bad and taking over

They say Christie Kinehan would have been a mega successful CEO if he wasn't a criminal, but i doubt the dentist has the experience or the contacts to be a new john boy!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

They say Christie Kinehan would have been a mega successful CEO if he wasn't a criminal, but i doubt the dentist has the experience or the contacts to be a new john boy!

You've touched on the issue - we haven't seen an offshore CK / Pengiun like character yet. Somebody is on the other side of those shipments, not really caring who's doing who's girlfriend this week providing the money is good and they're not making a mess of things.... which Nidge is close to seeing happen. The Dentist might be our link as with his clean record he'd be the obvious choice to travel overseas and have cocktails on the veranda. He'll have to earn Nidge's trust first. This is all season 5 speculation though.

Oh, and sorry to the ladies - Tommy is going to be dead by the end of this season - probably totally natural causes as has been highlighted in flashing neon lights throughout. Nidge probably looked up severe earbleeds and retardation on the net himself. Reckons Tommy is a waste of a bullet.

As posters above said, Tommy didn't get executed because Nidge ordered anything - it was because he was seen getting into Fran's van. Fran calculated a remote chance of a light stretch vs. a strong chance of a life sentence and holstered the pistol.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Pretty.Odd.

You've touched on the issue - we haven't seen an offshore CK / Pengiun like character yet. Somebody is on the other side of those shipments, not really caring who's doing who's girlfriend this week providing the money is good and they're not making a mess of things.... which Nidge is close to seeing happen. The Dentist might be our link as with his clean record he'd be the obvious choice to travel overseas and have cocktails on the veranda. He'll have to earn Nidge's trust first. This is all season 5 speculation though.

Oh, and sorry to the ladies - Tommy is going to be dead by the end of this season - probably totally natural causes as has been highlighted in flashing neon lights throughout. Nidge probably looked up severe earbleeds and retardation on the net himself. Reckons Tommy is a waste of a bullet.

As posters above said, Tommy didn't get executed because Nidge ordered anything - it was because he was seen getting into Fran's van. Fran calculated a remote chance of a light stretch vs. a strong chance of a life sentence and holstered the pistol.

Totally agree, can definitely see Tommy dying of natural causes. When they mentioned he hadn't been to the doctor before last night about the ear bleeds etc it came to my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

kippy wrote: »
    I am not sure why anyone who wants to avoid spoilers actively participates in online discussions while the show is ongoing to be honest.
    I tend to avoid facebook/twitter and indeed threads like this, until I've at least seen the most recent episode available and then if stuff like what has been mentioned for a future episode is brought up, fair enough. Its in the public domain. I hadn't seen the video in question but just like all the "darren on set stories" and the speculation around them, it's only when you actually watch the episodes do you get the relevance of those "predictions" that people make.

Well I avoid the trailers on the TV, and don't participate in any FB/Twitter stuff about it.

I consider this to be a discussion about the episode that's just been shown (with a bit of wild speculation/wishlists about what might happen - I don't mind that!).

Would it have killed the poster to have used the spoiler function, especially when he headed his post "Spoiler"?

Would it have killed you not to read the post
    HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    especially when he headed his post "Spoiler"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Doesn't that Guard look a bit like Liam Mcintyre who played Spartacus....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭trashcan

That's what they thought about Walter White ;)

I'm enjoying this series immensely. Every season has seen the writing steadily improve and this year is no exception. It's a far more credible show now than in the first season. Have to say Darren is no loss. His character just never seemed realistic to me. The likes of Aido, Elmo and Nidge are far more credible. Hughie was also a great character, who I think was wasted by getting rid of him so early. Fran has proved to be a great addition too. There is a real touch of menace about his character. And I seem to be in a minority here, but I'm really enjoying the addition of the Garda characters this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

When did Tommy & Siobhan get married? Don't ever remember that on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

hooch-85 wrote: »
    When did Tommy & Siobhan get married? Don't ever remember that on it

I don't know if they're actually married as such, but in between series 1 and 2 I think is when they had their son and have obviously been together ever since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

DazMarz wrote: »
    I don't know if they're actually married as such, but in between series 1 and 2 I think is when they had their son and have obviously been together ever since.

When Nidge & Fran were talking in the pub Nidge said they were married and that he was family

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

trashcan wrote: »
    It's a far more credible show now than in the first season. Have to say Darren is no loss. His character just never seemed realistic to me. .

Agreed. There is nobody in the Dublin drug game who looks like and has his accent, but it was one of those things you ignored for the greater good. He's probably not a bad actor but just terribly miscast. In the same way Vinnie Jones was good in Snatch but you wouldn't cast him in Pride and Prejudice this lad may be decent, but not for this. Dare I say it every episode so far has gripped me far more than any previous series, probably because it has gotten more realistic.

Not sure I'm buying the teenage Ra hitman mind, he seems too much of a thicko for a pro like Lizzie to be trusting with a big job when she could do it herself. Although in saying that, it could be deliberate. Showing his gun off in public, on camera, shooting the cat, suggesting a hit at a crowded funeral, I can see this clown end up hitting Nidge's wife or kids by accident with the way it is heading.

I thought the focus on the death of Nidge's mam was a bit odd seeing as we saw FA of his family (bar the kids) before this. The way he seemed a bit distant about the whole thing, coupled with the way he pretty much forgot who his brother was when he called, seems to suggest he is the black sheep of a respectable family, but was never really covered before even though it is pretty interesting background stuff.

As for some of the suggested plots here (Debbie joining the gang, the dentist becoming a gangster) holy **** thank god some of you are not on the writing staff :pac:
    deise08 wrote: »
    I wonder will they eventually incorporate other gangs?not this series but in future? you know as in the way there's gangs in limerick and with the traveller feuds? I wonder?

I reckon Nidge is the Tony Soprano of the whole thing, he won't die until the show dies (if he dies at all). Given that the series is made up of several composite characters of real life criminals (John Boy was clearly almost entirely based on Eamon Dunne, Dano and co are the whole Alan Ryan Ra faction, Nidge is numerous other real life heads rolled into one) and given that several plots have loosely mirrored real incidents, the series has god knows how much milage. Feuds with rival Dublin gangs, Limerick, traveller gangs, their heroin connect in Liverpool, foreign gangs. Even the other week I was thinking they will likely have some long locked up big man in the mould of John Gilligan released and causing problems if the show goes on long enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Why did Siobhan ring 999 after Tommy went in the van? Mick Moynihan had already given her his own number outside the court..

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Why did Siobhan ring 999 after Tommy went in the van? Mick Moynihan had already given her his own number outside the court..

She was tearing her bag apart looking for his card and couldn't find it, wasn't she?

I'm finding the guards a very interesting addition to the whole thing this year as well, the "bouncer" cop and the undercover goateed "junkie" are good at what they do!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,347 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

She tipped out her handbag - I read that as she was looking for the number but couldn't find it in her panic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 100 ✭✭Horrid Henry

My own view is that the very last scene of Love/Hate will be Nidge either getting killed or heading off to Spain.

I also think that Nidge will have Fran killed in this season's finale.

A superb show and a superb series (this one).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Well I avoid the trailers on the TV, and don't participate in any FB/Twitter stuff about it.

I consider this to be a discussion about the episode that's just been shown (with a bit of wild speculation/wishlists about what might happen - I don't mind that!).

Would it have killed the poster to have used the spoiler function, especially when he headed his post "Spoiler"?

The entire thread is entitled "Love/Hate [**Spoilers**]"............ (as well as the posters post mentioning the word "spoilers"........

What you consider it to be and what it is are two different things unfortunately.

Threads like this are best avoided in general if you have issues with getting bits and pieces of information on future or indeed past episodes (not having seen them)

999 will get a quicker response anyway. Even if she'd found his number (and she was tipping the bag looking for it as Heidi said) he could have been on holidays in Kerry. She should have stayed on the line and reported the kidnap. That along with the name of who was kidnapped would have flagged up an armed response unit very fast. Still, this is me on the net and not in a blind panic on a phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭Stereomaniac

Well, I guess she didn't want to involve the police force as a whole because she is aware of who and what she is dealing with and the repercussions of it and I guess she felt that the cop she spoke to would be aware of the case and how to protect her. Just an armchair view.

• Advertisement

Something I was wondering- why is Fran still living up the mountains in a caravan? He must be worth a few quid and surely the bomb damage to his house has been repaired by now :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement