Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

It was actually Tommy that attempted it but perhaps he suspected Darren. That said Darren would have actually got the job done

Maybe it's my memory but weren't there two attempted hits? Tommy was spotted approaching him the door of a bar somewhere in the suburbs and didn't get it done, but didn't Darren take a few shots at him in the stairwell of their local?

Or maybe it is my memory!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

Any one think that the Fran and Trish "coming down with something" is going to grow into something. They made a bit of a point of it. Unless he's caught HIV from the hooker Boss!

Possibly or it shows his body is like his position and state of mind at the moment -weak

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Ah ye I know, suppose just seems a little off key with the rest of the show...

That story seems a little hard to beleive though, if some guy was murdered, pretty sure his phone records would be pretty important evidence in court (if it got that far) I couldn't see Gardai messing with the kinda stuff

I had often thought same myself. Unless they stuffed one of their own phones down his arse pocket when he wasnt looking which could be possible also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

Possibly or it shows his body is like his position and state of mind at the moment -weak

And Trish as well? Had to be something to it. He's been sleeping with the brasser he might of got HIV

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Most of series 2 concentrated on the war between John Boy and Fran while continuing Darren's attempts to get out of crime (while instead he gets in deeper and deeper). Darren ended up killing John Boy (he hardly needed any persuasion here). In series 2, there were many efforts planned to try and clip Fran but in the end, he was arrested for glassing his friend and thus saved from any hit. In series 3, he is clearly a close ally of Nidge's and helps Nidge in his dispute with the IRA.

In series 4, Nidge is having it tough on all sides: his mother's death being the latest upset in his life. Wayne and Lizzie are his most immediate concern and behind them, an increasingly impatient Dano. Then there are the gardai and especially detective Moynihan. However, Fran and Tommy could end up being his worst enemies.

I have a feeling that Fran and Tommy (at present, they have generally poor relations) could become close friends and team up against Nidge (who for now enjoys a close relationship with Fran). Nidge could regret saving Tommy's life last night very quickly and Tommy could remember things about Nidge, the affair and the pipe bombing and Fran could be very glad to have Tommy as an ally. Fran will probably pretend he is going to kill Tommy to give him a fright and then Tommy's memory will be jogged and the old Tommy will come back bit by bit. Tommy and Fran could end up luring Nidge into an attempt on his life while pretending to still be friends to him.

However, the Nidge V Fran thing will have to be done differently to the previous rivalries like John Boy v Fran or Nidge v Dano. And we cannot forget about the latter as it is still very much there (and Fran was as involved as Nidge in the Git situation so are on the same side here).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

That episode was series filler for me barring, Fran, Tommy and Nidge obviously and honorable mention to Siobhan. It's the episode for character development but as another poster pointed out, Nidges mam dying seemed superfluous, she already had a stroke, and we already knew it had an effect on him.

The detectives took the back stage, it was interesting to see how they reacted to the harassment of the detectives family, but barring that, just felt like a reminder to the audience that "the Guards are still there".

I wouldn't agree with the Mr. Big idea brought up on the thread, I think we've plenty of TV series and films that focus on that side of it.

In summary, if you were watching the series back again, this is one you could miss out on barring Fran and Nidge, there's not a hell of a lot else happens.

Also, Nidge doesn't know there is a hit out on him, the big debate after the last episode! He feels it, he doesn't know it!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Since Nidge is in the front row with Trish and the kids behind, with no sign of Siobhan, I'm pretty sure that is not Tommy's funeral.

How in the name of f**k can anyone think that its not Nidges mothers funeral !

Ah some people shock me

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Cheers for that, but means not a lot to me, I'm afraid :confused: Well, I remember the quote, but still can't picture her.

Any idea of the actress's name?

Clearly I need to watch series 1-3 again :D

Lydia McGuinness according to imdb.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1625724/epcast

She was in it for a very brief period so you could be forgiven for forgetting her as it was 2 seasons ago

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Any one think that the Fran and Trish "coming down with something" is going to grow into something. They made a bit of a point of it. Unless he's caught HIV from the hooker Boss!

Its a set up for when Nidge is bed ridden with the flu and is vulnerable

K-9 wrote: »
    That episode was series filler for me barring, Fran, Tommy and Nidge obviously and honorable mention to Siobhan. It's the episode for character development but as another poster pointed out, Nidges mam dying seemed superfluous, she already had a stroke, and we already knew it had an effect on him.

The detectives took the back stage, it was interesting to see how they reacted to the harassment of the detectives family, but barring that, just felt like a reminder to the audience that "the Guards are still there".

I wouldn't agree with the Mr. Big idea brought up on the thread, I think we've plenty of TV series and films that focus on that side of it.

In summary, if you were watching the series back again, this is one you could miss out on barring Fran and Nidge, there's not a hell of a lot else happens.

Also, Nidge doesn't know there is a hit out on him, the big debate after the last episode! He feels it, he doesn't know it!

Nidge knows that Dano has not gone away to quote an old IRA saying! From what he gathers, he is clear with Tony but he is not a fool and does not assume everything is ok with Dano.

I enjoyed last night's episode. We have seen a lot of Nidge the family man and his kinder side was very much to the fore last night. This could be leading up to harm being done to Nidge's family (something he is always doing is making sure his family never get hurt: remember he moving out of his house for the Christmas period in the second series).

One very important event last night was the dentist's part in it. We see him lie to his ex about his finances and then going to meet Nidge and offer him his extensive business knowledge (we find out he also is an accountant) with Nidge accepting. Could this be a Breaking Bad-style transformation of professional person into ruthless criminal?

The dentist could become the most evil and scheming of all the characters yet and we already know that he is capable of violence. He probably will remain a Nidge ally and friend for this season but he could attempt to take over next season.

• Advertisement

Nidge knows that Dano has not gone away to quote an old IRA saying! From what he gathers, he is clear with Tony but he is not a fool and does not assume everything is ok with Dano.

I enjoyed last night's episode. We have seen a lot of Nidge the family man and his kinder side was very much to the fore last night. This could be leading up to harm being done to Nidge's family (something he is always doing is making sure his family never get hurt: remember he moving out of his house for the Christmas period in the second series).

One very important event last night was the dentist's part in it. We see him lie to his ex about his finances and then going to meet Nidge and offer him his extensive business knowledge (we find out he also is an accountant) with Nidge accepting. Could this be a Breaking Bad-style transformation of professional person into ruthless criminal?

The dentist could become the most evil and scheming of all the characters yet and we already know that he is capable of violence. He probably will remain a Nidge ally and friend for this season but he could attempt to take over next season.

Nah for me the dentist is just desperate for money but like Dave the lawyer, make no mistake he is a fish swimming in shark infested water and sooner or later the sharks are gonna get hungry

He didnt display any violence that i can recall? it would seem to me that Janet made a meal out of the 'assault' on her in order to bring Nidge and the heavies in.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Yep, we now know the look in the car park outside the hospital was nothing, he didn't see them, was just put there for dramatic effect. But it doesn't really matter, he feels somebody is out to get him, that's all we need to know.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

He Deffo knows someone is out for him, he can feel it, smell it, taste it, he just can't see it (or words to that effect).

I was wondering though at how annoyed he was by Debbie simply talking to him, yet he dismissed the dentists request for a tab so easily by saying something like "ye go on"

I suspect we will be seeing the dentists role upgraded somewhat.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

He Deffo knows someone is out for him, he can fell it, smell it, taste it, he just can't see it (or words to that effect).

I was wondering though at how annoyed he was by Debbie simply talking to him, yet he dismissed the dentists request for a tab so easily by saying something like "ye go on"

I'd imagine he didn't refuse the tab because he was just after his business deal (using him for his extensive business knowledge to manage money, maximise profits, etc... ) with the dentist no? He'll be important to Nidge, Debbie on the other hand, Nidge has no use for her and couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

loveBBhate wrote: »
    I'd imagine he didn't refuse the tab because he was just after his business deal (using him for his extensive business knowledge to manage money, maximise profits, etc... ) with the dentist no? He'll be important to Nidge, Debbie on the other hand, Nidge has no use for her and couldn't care less.

The dentist could turn out to be a great character. He is a good actor. Real shifty bastard with a bit of a dark side...love the way dealt with the dental nurse!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

so glad im not the only one who instantly thought walter white during the dentists speech to nidge LOL

its very possible it could go down a road like that with this character

biggebruv wrote: »
    so glad im not the only one who instantly thought walter white during the dentists speech to nidge LOL

its very possible it could go down a road like that with this character

I've never seen Breaking Bad but if they try to convert the dentist into a gangster...no, just no!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭pvt6zh395dqbrj

Martin mentioned that Terry was "f-ed back to uniform" cos of an "f-up" with a tout. Any chance this is Donna?

I really hope Nidge gets sent to prison at the end of the season....then he can break out! Prison/Break!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,743 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Martin mentioned that Terry was "f-ed back to uniform" cos of an "f-up" with a tout. Any chance this is Donna?

I really hope Nidge gets sent to prison at the end of the season....then he can break out! Prison/Break!

Would work just as well with him operating from within prison too, and realistic :P

It will be interesting what the dentist's role will be. As others point out, the way he treated the nurse was nasty. Since this is Love/Hate (focused on crime) and not a general drama that incorporates crime among other issues like Fair City, the dentist has a major role as a criminal here. He is indeed at present desperate for money but will enjoy making much more than he has ever done before.

True, Janet exaggerated his assault on her but still he showed violence when drunk which also shows his nasty side. He also is not totally unnerved by Nidge or Fran and sees them as a good thing in his current situation as of Sunday's episode. He as a client is obviously already in the know of some of Nidge's enterprises (prostitution) and suddenly, he is elevated into being a very different character to what we have seen before.

Nidge never had much time for Debbie (although Fran had a soft spot for her in series 3) and probably sees her as John Boy's troublesome drugged up ex and a total liability. I wonder will there be any contact between her and Tommy?

As already mentioned, Nidge does not know there is a specific hit organised for definite on him by Dano but he is no fool. He assumes Dano is motivated 100% by revenge and has seen the likes of Stumpy, John Boy and Git killed for reasons that at least partially had to do with revenge.

• Advertisement

He Deffo knows someone is out for him, he can feel it, smell it, taste it, he just can't see it (or words to that effect).

The dentists willingness was music to his ears. Means he will be willing to help them ship mixing agents legally

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I'd say Nidge is quite happy to let the dentist come on board. If he takes a small slice he's a lot less likely to panic and go to the Gards, letting him run up a tab suits Nidge down to the ground, why not let him get more in debt? The price of a few rides is small change compared to the money Nidge intends to make through the dental business.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The dentists willingness was music to his ears. Means he will be willing to help them ship mixing agents legally
    Not so sure...even a dentist would need to justify importing that stuff at a high quantity. Same way a regular person would draw attention by purchasing large quantities of glucose or baking powder ...All are known mixing agents and are treated with suspicion.

Nah the flats are different I think, think the ones Elmo lives in are out in Bluebell, pretty distinctive balconys. The one's Wayne lives in are the more generic type of flats you see everywhere

Although the scenes are filmed here there and everywhere I think a few hints have told us that the gang and most of its trade is concentrated around North/ East Wall and thereabouts and that random flat blocks and estates filmed elsewhere are meant to be in that area (with a few like Nidge living in nicer spots being richer members of the gang). Nearly certain it specifically mentioned Aido as living in the area in the episode where he was shot.

I'm guessing they make little specific reference to the actual area as they don't want to tie in plots featuring actual real life ongoing feuds in the likes of Crumlin and Sheriff St.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭u_c_thesecond

Foxhound38 wrote: »
    Does he offer him some fizzy orange? :pac:

when he asked could they stop at the shop i was thinking "if he says he wants to get a can of fizzy orange ill actually piss myself laughing"
    cofy wrote: »
    Nigel Mercier (the doctor) is looking very fine indeed:)

yea its not just me- bit of a bird alright :)
    More meat for Tesco at the side of the road i see :D
    what was the point of showing that?
    Amazingfun wrote: »
    While they were driving home after the first communion, and Trish takes the call about Nidge's Ma dying, I kept expecting her head to blow right off, courtesy of Lizzie's little Ra-gunman

I thought someone would get clipped n the car on the way back aswell- rare enough they have all the family together in one scene so figured something would happen
    Haunting singing

Love/Hate are great with the music this series- i found myself singing along i remember that song from my schooldays :)

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Agreed. There is nobody in the Dublin drug game who looks like and has his accent, but it was one of those things you ignored for the greater good. He's probably not a bad actor but just terribly miscast. In the same way Vinnie Jones was good in Snatch but you wouldn't cast him in Pride and Prejudice this lad may be decent, but not for this. Dare I say it every episode so far has gripped me far more than any previous series, probably because it has gotten more realistic.

Not sure I'm buying the teenage Ra hitman mind, he seems too much of a thicko for a pro like Lizzie to be trusting with a big job when she could do it herself. Although in saying that, it could be deliberate. Showing his gun off in public, on camera, shooting the cat, suggesting a hit at a crowded funeral, I can see this clown end up hitting Nidge's wife or kids by accident with the way it is heading.

I thought the focus on the death of Nidge's mam was a bit odd seeing as we saw FA of his family (bar the kids) before this. The way he seemed a bit distant about the whole thing, coupled with the way he pretty much forgot who his brother was when he called, seems to suggest he is the black sheep of a respectable family, but was never really covered before even though it is pretty interesting background stuff.

As for some of the suggested plots here (Debbie joining the gang, the dentist becoming a gangster) holy **** thank god some of you are not on the writing staff :pac:

I reckon Nidge is the Tony Soprano of the whole thing, he won't die until the show dies (if he dies at all). Given that the series is made up of several composite characters of real life criminals (John Boy was clearly almost entirely based on Eamon Dunne, Dano and co are the whole Alan Ryan Ra faction, Nidge is numerous other real life heads rolled into one) and given that several plots have loosely mirrored real incidents, the series has god knows how much milage. Feuds with rival Dublin gangs, Limerick, traveller gangs, their heroin connect in Liverpool, foreign gangs. Even the other week I was thinking they will likely have some long locked up big man in the mould of John Gilligan released and causing problems if the show goes on long enough.

He was just minding the gun for her in episode 1 and is just supposed to be the getaway driver, Lizzie was the one that was going to do the job when Nidge was outside the hospital but bottled it when he didn't get out of the car.

Now, given that she wouldn't do it at the hospital and refused to do it at Nidge's ma's funeral, maybe the young lad might get impatient, go on a solo run to try and impress Danno and end up hitting the wrong target alright but at present it's Lizzie's job to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

when he asked could they stop at the shop i was thinking "if he says he wants to get a can of fizzy orange ill actually piss myself laughing"

yea its not just me- bit of a bird alright :)

what was the point of showing that?

I thought someone would get clipped n the car on the way back aswell- rare enough they have all the family together in one scene so figured something would happen

Love/Hate are great with the music this series- i found myself singing along i remember that song from my schooldays :)

Point of the horse as I see it is, if they become of no use whey get put down, bit like tommy!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Point of the horse as I see it is, if they become of no use whey get put down, bit like tommy!

Surely not?
    What actually becomes of use when it gets put down?

Big Game wrote: »
    He was just minding the gun for her in episode 1 and is just supposed to be the getaway driver, Lizzie was the one that was going to do the job when Nidge was outside the hospital but bottled it when he didn't get out of the car.

Now, given that she wouldn't do it at the hospital and refused to do it at Nidge's ma's funeral, maybe the young lad might get impatient, go on a solo run to try and impress Danno and end up hitting the wrong target alright but at present it's Lizzie's job to do.

Wayne will be an early enough casualty I'd predict. That said and done, he could live into the last episode but it is more likely he will be killed in episodes 4 or 5.

Anyone notice that Lizzie may be getting cold feet? Does she really want to kill Nidge at all? Her true intentions are vital to what happens here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Big Game wrote: »

and lets not forget that this Hit on nidge isn't sanctioned by the boss...this echoes the donaghmede gang....after yer man was shot...basically his entire gang were booted out of the ra and several of them were kneecapped for non IRA activity.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement