Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Try telling this very true fact to the many wannabe Americans who we have to endure on this thread every week slating the production values and storylines for not being as good as the Wire or the Sopranos from HBO who have a massive budget to work with.

But then again why get in the way of good old fashioned pathetic Irish begrudgery at its finest.

Nissan must pay a fortune for the advertising, never mind the lottery and the rest. C5 and ITV have rights, never mind the rights just sold in America. RTE have no hope of making money if they can't do it on this.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Are they? You'd hardly know their names tbh

I think Wayne plays a young psychopath very well and Lizzie is a very multi faceted character. If she isnt swooning over Darren, shes shooting him dead. If she isnt asking Wayne to show Nidge sympathy at the day of his mothers funeral she is bashing a stranger over the head with a tire iron

I bet most of the people you're referring to are fans of the show. They're just highlighting some faults that they see. I think the dental nurse angle was poor enough tonight and it's nothing to do with the production costs, it costs nothing to write a sharper script. I wouldn't call that begrudgery!

Im not pointing to yourself. Fair enough people find fault because i see them myself but its so good ive grown to stick them to the back of my mind. Just think the regular lads that post in with nothing but criticism but yet watch every single episode are very petty. We have loads of comparisons to the wire which are unfair. Its akin to expecting a championship team to be as good as Man United on their budget. the production are funded to the tune of 6 episodes per series and people expect the writing to be as detailed as a 12, even a 20 episode series.

The show earns plenty revenue for RTE but RTE put little extra into it in return relative to its popularity.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

I think Wayne plays a young psychopath very well and Lizzie is a very multi faceted character. If she isnt swooning over Darren, shes shooting him dead. If she isnt asking Wayne to show Nidge sympathy at the day of his mothers funeral she is bashing a stranger over the head with a tire iron

I'd say she's a mad one in the sack too!

Mind you, she probably has a sack herself.

Im not pointing to yourself. Fair enough people find fault because i see them myself but its so good ive grown to stick them to the back of my mind. Just think the regular lads that post in with nothing but criticism but yet watch every single episode are very petty. We have loads of comparisons to the wire which are unfair. Its akin to expecting a championship team to be as good as Man United on their budget

I'd fancy a few championship sides to beat Man United these days :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Pilot ep of GoT cost 10m so 600k is nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I bet most of the people you're referring to are fans of the show. They're just highlighting some faults that they see. I think the dental nurse angle was poor enough tonight and it's nothing to do with the production costs, it costs nothing to write a sharper script. I wouldn't call that begrudgery!

Probably was a bit convenient, she would have reported him to the professional body I presume so he would be under suspicion of fraud, not sure where the Guards linking that with drugs would come in.

The most unbelievable thing is the Guards getting the full reg for the Golf with Wayne in the boot, that's very unlikely in an area like that, but given the shortness of the series it's hard to explain everything.

Given some people have bothers following 6 episodes, anything longer would be brain overload.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Nissan must pay a fortune for the advertising, never mind the lottery and the rest. C5 and ITV have rights, never mind the rights just sold in America. RTE have no hope of making money if they can't do it on this.

I understand what your saying but how much of the money made actually goes back to the production of the show relative to what it earns? Still even at the end of the day its still no comparison to HBO's budget

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

For the money spent and the quality that has been produced I am really impressed with Love/Hate. If anyone looked at the early episodes of The Wire or Sopranos they would see corners cut, re recorded audio and all kinds of short cuts made to get the shows on TV prior to them making it big. Ireland is a relatively small market, I think the smallest English speaking country in the world, I think this show punches well above it's weight.

loveBBhate wrote: »
    I'd say she's a mad one in the sack too!

Mind you, she probably has a sack herself

Ha ha. She is a tough woman living in a mans world. :) For how long more though is anyones guess.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Synchronicity

Jumboman wrote: »
    600 grand just for one episode:eek: ?

Full length Independent British feature films are made for that amount of money. A full episode of love/hate should not cause anymore than 100k.

100k would barely make an episode of Nationwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

Im not pointing to yourself. Fair enough people find fault because i see them myself but its so good ive grown to stick them to the back of my mind. Just think the regular lads that post in with nothing but criticism but yet watch every single episode are very petty. We have loads of comparisons to the wire which are unfair. Its akin to expecting a championship team to be as good as Man United on their budget

I made a reference to the Wire this evening regarding the Gardai being a poor comparison to the Baltimore cops.
    I agree that the Wire was on another planet compared to Love/Hate with budget, viewership numbers etc. Some things could be written better though imo. My point was the Gardai suffer from average acting, no character development and are just unintentionally unlikeable!
    Don't get me wrong, the series has been a huge success and is about the only thing RTE has done in years which is good but it's certainly not beyond a little bit of criticism from time to time.

jebus84 wrote: »
    I love all the shows you said above ,but im so proud of this show and what theyve done with the resources at hand

I love them myself. Im not anti american by any means but i just think Irish people need to appreciate what we've been gifted with here - a fine series.

We're akin at times to the spoilt child that whinges no matter what presents they get

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Gardai ...... are just unintentionally unlikeable!

Hmmmmm :D

Hmmmmm :D

:)

I think the writers wanted them to be the heroes but everyone is rooting for Nidgie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,972 ✭✭✭cofy

Nidge was so stricken and weakened with flu at the start of the episode, and a threat to his life seemed to cure all his symptoms - definitely MAN flu.

Was not expecting the turn of Wayne. I think he will become Nidges right hand man.

I think the term "Tiocfaidh ár lá" comes from this case
    http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Limerick-woman-shouts-tiocfaidh-ar-la-pleads-guilty-to-IRA-murder-of-father-of-two--202293411.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

jos28 wrote: »
    Great episode tonight. Glad to see Lizzie and Dano gone, she was really beginning to annoy me. Looks like the John Venables lookalike has secured himself a role in Season 5 if it happens. Does anyone else think that Siobhan will be the one to eventually kill Nidge when she finds out it was him that battered Tommy

Ah thats who Wayne reminds me of. Its been bugging me since episode one.

I made a reference to the Wire this evening regarding the Gardai being a poor comparison to the Baltimore cops.
    I agree that the Wire was on another planet compared to Love/Hate with budget, viewership numbers etc. Some things could be written better though imo. My point was the Gardai suffer from average acting, no character development and are just unintentionally unlikeable!
    Don't get me wrong, the series has been a huge success and is about the only thing RTE has done in years which is good but it's certainly not beyond a little bit of criticism from time to time.

McNulty and co are just brilliant but maybe the difference is we're rooting for the cops more in The Wire and the criminals more in Love/hate and the first series was more centred on the cops and their personal lives.

In terms of the criminals we seen little of Stringer, Avon etc but a bit of the pushers or the 'Aido' equivalents if you like such as D'Angelo etc

Apart from the excellent BF O'Byrne there is no real household name plays the cops. I think the guy who is a cop in real life is excellent. Terry is a bit too wooden but alright overall. Obama i dont like one bit. Totally unbelievable. Looks far too young and it would seem a mere vehicle to try fill the vacuum that Robert Sheehan left for another good looking male on the show

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

The thing is, I really wanted to root for the Guards purely because I thought it could make for an interesting turn to have the lads face a genuine, organised, reasonably well resourced threat which can't just be faced down with a bit of cranky gurning.

And I can't lie, I'm waiting for Nidge's downfall with a certain amount of relish.

But eh...

cofy wrote: »
    Was not expecting the turn of Wayne. I think he will become Nidges right hand man.

Would be unrealistic. A guy like Nidge wouldn't have that, Wayne is just a kid!

• Advertisement

I get what you are saying but he is totally moldable. Maybe Nidge sees him as someone he could train his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

cofy wrote: »

It's the IRA's motto, it's not exclusive to that case.

There's potential there in little Wayneen and the guards might not suspect a child, Nidge could use him for a few dirty jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

:)

I think the writers wanted them to be the heroes but everyone is rooting for Nidgie.

The lads are the series, gun them down or lock them up and it's game over, long live King Nidge Weasel :cool:

Until Franno sticks the head in him anyway :pac:

ted2767 wrote: »
    Sorry but thats nonsense.
    If that happened in real life people would be up in arms that a suspect was released so quickly.
    Frankly the story line is unbelievable.

Suspected of what? a crime that the alleged victim says he didnt commit?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Don't know what to expect from 5 and 6, was expecting Dano to hit back big but can't see that happening after his shooting, think Tony will be happy enough to let things stay as it once he is getting the cash from Nidge. With Dano out of the picture and Lizzy that eliminates the contract on Nidge, suppose it's Cops V Nidge for the remainder.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Probably sees that there are some brains in Wayne, the rest of the gang around him now can't be trusted to do anything too strenous, Nidge is nearly hands on with it all to compensate. He's missing Darren who was his go to lad.

Blay wrote: »
    It's the IRA's motto, it's not exclusive to that case.

I did not know that. This is the first time I heard it and it stuck in my mind.

Don't know what to expect from 5 and 6, was expecting Dano to hit back big but can't see that happening after his shooting, think Tony will be happy enough to let things stay as it once he is getting the cash from Nidge. With Dano out of the picture and Lizzy that eliminates the contract on Nidge, suppose it's Cops V Nidge for the remainder.

I'd imagine that's the end of Dan, made it seen like he bled out at the end if that episode, his face was unusually pale.

Besides, if he is to survive he'll probably be wheelchair bound for quite some time, crippled him so they did!

• Advertisement

McNulty and co are just brilliant but maybe the difference is we're rooting for the cops more in The Wire and the criminals more in Love/hate and the first series was more centred on the cops and their personal lives.

In terms of the criminals we seen little of Stringer, Avon etc but a bit of the pushers or the 'Aido' equivalents if you like such as D'Angelo etc

Apart from the excellent BF O'Byrne there is no real household name plays the cops. I think the guy who is a cop in real life is excellent. Terry is a bit too wooden but alright overall. Obama i dont like one bit. Totally unbelievable. Looks far too young and it would seem a mere vehicle to try fill the vacuum that Robert Sheehan left for another good looking male on the show

The cops in the Wire weren't just the good guys. It showed they were playing 'the game' too. Maybe the problem with the cops in Love/Hate is they're the stereotypical good guys combined with the other problems I mentioned.
    As you said yourself though, I appreciate the show for what it is, low budget and just six episodes. Was never going to be perfect.

The thing is, I really wanted to root for the Guards purely because I thought it could make for an interesting turn to have the lads face a genuine, organised, reasonably well resourced threat which can't just be faced down with a bit of cranky gurning.

And I can't lie, I'm waiting for Nidge's downfall with a certain amount of relish.

But eh...

I'm firmly on Nidge's side but I usually end up rooting for the bad guy anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement