Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

The lads are the series, gun them down or lock them up and it's game over, long live King Nidge Weasel :cool:

Until Franno sticks the head in him anyway
    :pac:

Interesting times ahead. I think the Noelie Hughes storyline was merely to show that Frano makes enemies all over for a variety of reasons and is a liability. The Tommy incident escalated his suspicion with Nidge and that trust Nidge had in him has deteriorated.

Nidge might go to jail by the end of this series but i reckon he'll survive. Really starting to see the end in sight for Frano though. I think Carlo and Deano and perhaps also Nidge will conspire to have him whacked.

Debbie and Elmo hadn't much of a role tonight but they could play a huge part yet.

Don't know what to expect from 5 and 6, was expecting Dano to hit back big but can't see that happening after his shooting, think Tony will be happy enough to let things stay as it once he is getting the cash from Nidge. With Dano out of the picture and Lizzy that eliminates the contract on Nidge, suppose it's Cops V Nidge for the remainder.

Where has Lizzie gone is the question?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Magnetics

Wheres Darrens sister Mary this series?

She was one of the strongest actors in the show imo. Easy on the eye as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes it's unclear but she was in the back of the Garda car and will end up charged with who knows against the guy she attacked with the wheel brace.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

Magnetics wrote: »

What role would she play? Darren is gone so... Her and Darren stopped contact a while before Darren was killed too so it was for a few episodes in Season 3 too. Just can't see where she'd fit in to it now without Darren. I don't think Darren has even been mentioned in this series mind you?! Hmmmmm?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Magnetics wrote: »

Gone I hope, she wrecked my head. Her, Rosie, that swan killer lad were my least favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭CountryJoe

I initially thought when we saw her in the back of the squad car, that would be her final scene. However now I rekon with the irish legal system she will most likely be out on bail within a few hours. She could still pose a problem for Nidge.

Yes it's unclear but she was in the back of the Garda car and will end up charged with who knows against the guy she attacked with the wheel brace.

I hadnt seen that. Id say that might be her token to series 5 so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

hope that horse looking copper gets more storyline,cant wait to see if he gets killed,he irks the **** out of me

Gone I hope, she wrecked my head. Her, Rosie, that swan killer lad were my least favourites.

Mary was pretty much periphery. Rosie ill agree was a daft pain in the hoop. Luke though was excellent from start to finish. Played the psychotic simpleton really well. Actually felt that they might have killed him off far too early but it was used to show Nidges ruthlessness and it did work well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Few questions.

1. Is there more to the Fran and Noely thing than meets the eye? Noely's initial attack on Fran and Fran's reaction especially in this episode see total overreactions to what's supposed to have caused them (Fran sleeping with noely's wife and Noely giving a beating and knocking his teeth out). Because otherwise, where the hell is it going? If it's just to set Fran up as a complete monster I don't like it.

2. Does Tommy remember it was Nidge?

Few questions.

1. Is there more to the Fran and Noely thing than meets the eye? Noely's initial attack on Fran and Fran's reaction especially in this episode see total overreactions to what's supposed to have caused them (Fran sleeping with noely's wife and Noely giving a beating and knocking his teeth out). Because otherwise, where the hell is it going? If it's just to set Fran up as a complete monster I don't like it.

2. Does Tommy remember it was Nidge?

1. Its merely to show that Fran has loads of enemies and that he is a total and utter psycho.

2. I dont think Tommy does but might do so yet.

Looking at it again i actually dont blame Lizzie for battering yer man. What a total dick.

1. Its merely to show that Fran has loads of enemies and that he is a total and utter psycho.

But we already know he's a psycho and why do we need to know that he has loads of enemies? This are short series and at the moment this is making the plot more crowded, what this show is good at is making every scene count either in forwarding the plot or providing something relevant in how we see the characters, there's very little waste and if this is only hammering home how horrible Fran is it seems like waste.
    2. I dont think Tommy does but might do so yet.

I think he does, he's being set up as the relatable main character for the series. Even look at tonight, probably the least screen time he's had for this run of the series, shown in a quiet kind of touching scene at either end of what I think was the most disturbing, tense, icky episode so far. After this episode it'd be very very hard for anyone to be rooting that Nidge or Fran come out on top. Also I'm probably reading too much into it but he's also been set up as a Darren substitute, he even had a blue hoodie on the first time Nidge saw him in episode one :P (I'm definitely reading too much into it)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

meh i didt like that episode it seemed all over the place TBH its trown the season of course for me now as i liked eps 1-3 building up but tonight was crap IMO

hopefully next week tells a better story

the fran stuff tonight was unfunny IMO there taking that character to parody levels now IMO
    then the kidnapping of the boy they kidnapped him and didt really go far eh the garda caught him very quickly AMAZING LOL

But we already know he's a psycho and why do we need to know that he has loads of enemies? This are short series and at the moment this is making the plot more crowded, what this show is good at is making every scene count either in forwarding the plot or providing something relevant in how we see the characters, there's very little waste and if this is only hammering home how horrible Fran is it seems like waste.

Wouldnt agree there. John Boy and Nidge aside, Frans interactions with the general criminal world hasnt been really explored in any great detail. Also everything he has done so far has left the audience more and more shocked so it hasnt wasted any time. They are outlining the downfall of Fran. For a long time he had his eyes on the prize but they are showing he hasnt quite got the clued-in mindset to be a leader and is descending into a John Boy like spiral where he just wants to piss off all in sundry.

I think he does, he's being set up as the relatable main character for the series. Even look at tonight, probably the least screen time he's had for this run of the series, shown in a quiet kind of touching scene at either end of what I think was the most disturbing, tense, icky episode so far. After this episode it'd be very very hard for anyone to be rooting that Nidge or Fran come out on top. Also I'm probably reading too much into it but he's also been set up as a Darren substitute, he even had a blue hoodie on the first time Nidge saw him in episode one :P (I'm definitely reading too much into it)

Nah Tommy is well and truly cream crackered. Savage headaches, bleeding from the ear regularly and he has mentally regressed. Yes he has fragments of who he used be but just doesnt seem to know how he got there. He could well recall one or two things in time but he just doesnt seem to have that suspicion about him

Wouldnt agree there. John Boy and Nidge aside, Frans interactions with the general criminal world hasnt been really explored in any great detail. Also everything he has done so far has left the audience more and more shocked so it hasnt wasted any time. They are outlining the downfall of Fran. For a long time he had his eyes on the prize but they are showing he hasnt quite got the clued-in mindset to be a leader and is descending into a John Boy like spiral where he just wants to piss off all in sundry.

Hmm, good points but I dunno. I don't think Fran's been on a total downward spiral in how he's been presented, a couple of times he's been a pragmatic voice when other people are letting irrational emotional drives cause violence, this series he's very one dimensional unless something else is going on. Also I softened towards him in a weird way when he bottled that guy for making too many cracks about his dead wife.

Also, have to say I LOVED the way his two scariest scenes (nearly killing Dean and in the graveyard) were shot in the same w[eird light, really kicked them up a notch.

Nah Tommy is well and truly cream crackered. Savage headaches, bleeding from the ear regularly and he has mentally regressed. Yes he has fragments of who he used be but just doesnt seem to know how he got there. He could well recall one or two things in time but he just doesnt seem to have that suspicion about him

The thing that really makes me wonder is the way he showed his face to the young one, went back to the scene of the crime and then fingered Fran (by extension implicating Nidge). I don't doubt he's damaged from the attack, it just could maybe possibly be happening that he's also trying to hurt nidge.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I understand what your saying but how much of the money made actually goes back to the production of the show relative to what it earns? Still even at the end of the day its still no comparison to HBO's budget

Well I suppose RTE take the gamble on it, the production company gets the €3 Million and RTE make whatever they can from it?

Just on the Guards I don't they can make them very likeable, there needs to be an element of wanting Fran and Nidge to get of.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

ColeTrain wrote: »
    I usually end up rooting for the bad guy anyway.

Me too, usually, but I feel like Nidge is getting a little bit too invincible for the line of work he's in since becoming the "star". There isn't much of a sense of genuine peril towards him anymore.

I find the show compelling, but I don't really like any of the characters, I don't mind seeing one or the other KO'ed in service to the story. And while I'm under no illusions about the efficacy of the legal system in this country, it was starting to get a little incongruous that the cops had no real presence in the show bar the comic relief Nidge had on tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Jaysus, Fran seems to be going completely off the deep end and becoming a total psycho at this stage... What the hell was he up to with the gun while he was getting smashed, and then digging up the grave later only to abandon the whole plan at the last minute - he's losing it.

• Advertisement

Me too, usually, but I feel like Nidge is getting a little bit too invincible for the line of work he's in since becoming the "star". There isn't much of a sense of genuine peril towards him anymore.

I find the show compelling, but I don't really like any of the characters, I don't mind seeing one or the other KO'ed in service to the story. And while I'm under no illusions about the efficacy of the legal system in this country, it was starting to get a little incongruous that the cops had no real presence in the show bar the comic relief Nidge had on tap.

I kind of think Nidge could go in any episode. More anxious to see if the gards get him before he's killed. I think that's what I like about this show, it's horrible protagonists or flawed/compromised bystanders, based on the show's previous form some other long-existing character other than ra man tonight is going to go

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

cofy wrote: »
    Nidge was so stricken and weakened with flu at the start of the episode, and a threat to his life seemed to cure all his symptoms - definitely MAN flu.

Was not expecting the turn of Wayne. I think he will become Nidges right hand man.

I think the term "Tiocfaidh ár lá" comes from this case
    http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Limerick-woman-shouts-tiocfaidh-ar-la-pleads-guilty-to-IRA-murder-of-father-of-two--202293411.html

i think she was the inspiration behind the Lizzie character...all the ra stuff tonight echoes the north dublin situation and i think i spotted the real life Nidge in the paper recently. Sure the show writes itself! (i suppose it's dangerous to post links to these news stories!!)

Nidge had a smug head on him as did Tony. I wonder has Tony any intelligence on the gardai? Either that or nidge gave him head.

Holy sh*t whats Fran planning? Shameless spoiler alert
    Jamie McGuire from Shameless perhaps and dig up the body ?

bang on! That's what i thought!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Fran is becoming a bit like PJ "The Psycho" if you ask me

**** you Noelie, I'm pissing on yer ma!!!

line of the night!

similarities with the alan ryan thing there?

the goings on after that shooting i'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Looking at it again i actually dont blame Lizzie for battering yer man. What a total dick.

It's not so much that I'd have a problem with her bashing him in general, just that knowing what was at stake for her you'd think she'd have let it go and concentrated on the bigger picture? Was it really worth getting arrested over and pretty much throwing the mission in the process?

I don't think that is that far fetched about the dental nurse. She was spoken to badly, she knew what was going on and gets sacked. She doesn't want that on her CV to hamper her career and earnings. Not surprising she wanted her own back

yeah she would have gone to a solicitor on the way home to hit the dentist for cash, and he would send her to the cops

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Jumboman wrote: »
    I'd imagine that most of the crew that worked on the show are already on the rte pay roll so that should keep the cost down.

TV shows should not cost more than movies.

I doubt any of the film crew are on the RTÉ payroll.
    The show is made by an independent production company (Octogon Films).
    In all likelyhood they hire film crew and equipment as required.

600K per episode is actually great value.

Although if Trish ever gets killed off they'd probably save half that amount between their wardrobe and hair & make up departments. ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement