Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

He gave them Darren for that one

Yes, and Nidge did not have anything to do with the actual killing of Git. Tommy kicked him and Darren (who was sacrificed) was the actual killer (he threw a keg over his head!). Nidge very much disapproved of Darren's act.

the cops have put everything into the sting operation to catch them in the act of shipping a container of narcotics...if that goes wrong then nidge is off.

This will either go wrong or else Nidge will get wise that he is being monitored and send the cops on an embarrassing pretend smuggling where there are no drugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Like the BBC iplayer, RTE need to realise that you can't segregate content by geographic area anymore and it makes no sense to do so.

The problem is not that they don't want to, it's that they can't afford to. The music they use in the show is restricted to use only in Ireland and so they cannot afford to pay the rights for full international usage.

If you watch the DVDs you will see that the big tracks that have been used on Love/Hate are replaced by soundalikes or just inferior library music. If RTE were to make Love/Hate and allow it to be viewed internationally on the Player they would have to use an inferior soundtrack.
    Not allowing up later to be used by Irish people abroad opens the door to piracy on a massive scale, and the only person to blame is whatever eejit didn't realise that when makin the content restriction policy for the website.

Incorrect. The content restriction is based on music and other rights - it's not like some suit in an office who runs the website is simply choosing to not let Love/Hate be viewed outside of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Jumboman wrote: »
    I'd imagine that most of the crew that worked on the show are already on the rte pay roll so that should keep the cost down.

TV shows should not cost more than movies.

None of the crew are on the RTE payroll.

It's produced by Octagon and everyone working on the show would be billing them for their services, not RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

This will either go wrong or else Nidge will get wise that he is being monitored and send the cops on an embarrassing pretend smuggling where there are no drugs.

Yep, I agree. The producers know that the majority of L/H fans are those that like to vicariously cheer on the crims. Nobody really dies, sure we all know that. There is no doubt that that demographic is being exploited in the writing of coola boola Fran and the pretty boy character of Darren and you only have to look at the amount of people who hero worship Nidge to see that is what is involved in the core fandom of the series. That's the way they want to do it and there is nothing original in that, that's how this particular genre of crime drama works. Sopranos does the same kinda thing.
    So I think the cops will be thwarted, to a large extent crime will have to pay and the cops will always be chasing to keep the franchise and series going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭pookiesboo

I think its pretty obvious that Nidge and Fran know they're being monitored and the whole thing is a set up. The way that they wait until they get to Nidges car to discuss what they're going to do, saying how the gardai "havent a ****ing clue" plus it was too convenient that the dental nurse went straight to the guards.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

like import a present for trish? The cops burst open the container and it's a new dish washer or something!

like import a present for trish? The cops burst open the container and it's a new dish washer or something!

Yes, it could well end up Nidge arranging something like this!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Great episode, top notch from start to finish, on the edge of my seat at times.

One thing that annoys me about this thread is people saying that the youngest cop is unbelievable because he looks too young.
    I know at least 2 real life undercover cops that look way younger. I even pointed one out to the mother one day and she said "Sure there's no way he's a guard, he looks like a child"!!
    That's the point, so they can fit in, in the circles they need to move in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

srfc19 wrote: »
    I know at least 2 real life undercover cops that look way younger. I even pointed one out to the mother one day and she said "Sure there's no way he's a guard, he looks like a child"!!

:D:D I wouldn't like to be undercover if somebody could be pointing me out to his mother!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

srfc19 wrote: »
    Great episode, top notch from start to finish, on the edge of my seat at times.

One thing that annoys me about this thread is people saying that the youngest cop is unbelievable because he looks too young.

That's the first sign of true aging, when all the professionals around you start looking like children, lol ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Would someone mind refreshing my memory. How was the crooked Garda, Martin, caught out? Was it to do with accessing the Pulse system?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I don't think that is that far fetched about the dental nurse. She was spoken to badly, she knew what was going on and gets sacked. She doesn't want that on her CV to hamper her career and earnings. Not surprising she wanted her own back

If it wasn't pushed into six episodes per season, I think a short scene of her printing out a picture from CCTV of one of Nidge or Franno and bringing *that* to the guards might have added plausability.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

ectoraige wrote: »
    If it wasn't pushed into six episodes per season, I think a short scene of her printing out a picture from CCTV of one of Nidge or Franno and bringing *that* to the guards might have added plausability.

Any chance the dental nurse is onside with nidge? Having cops chasing their tails?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

ectoraige wrote: »

I missed what happened there. She just went to the Guards off her own bat? On what grounds?

I missed what happened there. She just went to the Guards off her own bat? On what grounds?

The dentist was not treating her very nicely at work and she probably suspected there was something going on with all the visits by Fran and Nidge. When she was sacked, she did not owe him anything and went to the guards for her revenge.

She would also know about Nidge not wanting any dental treatment (conveniently, Fran does!!) and senses there is something dodgy going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Omackeral wrote: »
    Would someone mind refreshing my memory. How was the crooked Garda, Martin, caught out? Was it to do with accessing the Pulse system?

ya

Just thinking about this Garda Martin. I wonder will we see any more of him? He has been caught out and is almost of no use whatsoever to Nidge and co now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭haveabanana

So with the ugliest woman in the country locked up for 'road rage',

I'd give her one.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

Happyman42 wrote: »
    :D:D I wouldn't like to be undercover if somebody could be pointing me out to his mother!

Ha! They're both from my town but undercover in different places!! Good thing I'm not a rat though!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

The last scene of the last episode will see Nidges boy Warren get clipped IMO
    Bit harsh!!?

very much so.

In a previous interview, Stuart Carolan described filming a scene with Tom Vaughan Lalor where the entire cast and crew gave him a round of applause at the end of the scene because he played it so well.

I was trying to think about what sort of scene would be so difficult to play that it warranted such an ovation and Warren came to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Any chance the dental nurse is onside with nidge? Having cops chasing their tails?

Think about that one. Nidge decides to send someone to the guards to tell them about his new smuggling operation so the cops will chase him????

My guess is no.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

For now, Tommy barely remembers himself and it is easy to imagine he remembers very little about the truth about what happens him. However, that situation will change very soon for any number of reasons (Tommy is improving slowly and too many people (well one Fran to be precise!) know):

-Tommy is very seriously hurt but he has made a great recovery and while he admits he is slow at times and definitely not his former self, he is far from being a vegetable and he does know who everyone is and what they are in his life. He will one day make an almost full recovery and while he may never get rid of the headaches and depression, he will bit by bit remember the truth (with help from others jogging his memory!).
    -The cops will overhear everything and there probably will be talk about Tommy's assault between Fran and Nidge.
    -Fran could well end up telling Tommy if his relations with Nidge sour.
    -Tommy of course could also half remember things and blame poor old Fran in the wrong! Fran would then have to set him straight.

Of course, Nidge may well have to sacrifice Tommy to Fran and tell Fran that it was Tommy who did the pipe bomb attack on Linda. Nidge would only do this if Tommy realises it was Nidge who hit him (otherwise, he would blame Darren for the incident which would be 100% believable to Fran as Darren pipe bombed Dano's/Git's car outside the pub and Darren was always the hitman for John Boy most of the time). The big question of course is does Tommy also know Nidge did the attack? Darren was told but (while we did not as far as I recall see Darren or Nidge mention it to Tommy, it could be implied he knew as they were all very close and with Nidge hiding out that Christmas, this could make it common knowledge that more than likely it was Nidge who did it).

...and the cat?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭CaptainFreedom

Just thinking about this Garda Martin. I wonder will we see any more of him? He has been caught out and is almost of no use whatsoever to Nidge and co now.

Could see him being interrogated, but then again he is not the sharpest tool in the box, John-Boy saying previously that he was good for getting off parking tickets and nothing else. Damien Kearney plays the stereotype thick country cop well though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Things going too perfectly for he cops so far I think, there is bound to be a spanner in the works at some stage, otherwise it'll be a bit anti climatic with the cops busting the gang since have been watching them mount seemingly perfect surveillance thus far...

I wonder if when Nidge said " The cops haven't got a clue" was he being sincere, and knew they were listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

I thought the same, I get the distinct impression that Nidge knows he is being watched. Its all way too easy for the cops so far. If they all just get arrested it will be a total anti-climax

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

Nidge knows something, I may have to watch it again but Nidge only asked Fran a question and it was Fran who incriminated himself by talking about cocaine and Heroine, Nidge is playing it in a way were he can get out of it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Nidge setting it up Fran takes the fall and solves the ongoing problem between them without getting his hands dirty?

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

Possibly Walnuts, But is in the cargo a dummy run? So don't know how any of them can go down, Nidge is most definitely the smartest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,239 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm beginning to wonder if we'll see the inside of Mountjoy next season with Nidge running things from a cell...
    very much so.

In a previous interview, Stuart Carolan described filming a scene with Tom Vaughan Lalor where the entire cast and crew gave him a round of applause at the end of the scene because he played it so well.

I was trying to think about what sort of scene would be so difficult to play that it warranted such an ovation and Warren came to mind.
    Then again, that would make me wonder it if was Tom Vaughan Lalor's final scene as Nidge?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement