Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Fran asked the dentist for the hot nurse's number right?

If so....

New theory!

Fran rings the nurse looking for the gallop, the minute she hears his voice she thinks he is ringing cos he knows she went to the cops, blurts out how she didn't mean to go to the guards or something and that's how the lads know the cops are onto them and get out at the last second

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

P.Walnuts wrote: »

If so....

New theory!

Fran rings the nurse looking for the gallop, the minute she hears his voice she thinks he is ringing cos he knows she went to the cops, blurts out how she didn't mean to go to the guards or something and that's how the lads know the cops are onto them and get out at the last second

The gallop :D First I've heard this phrase used for partaking in sexual intercourse, I LOL'd as they say :) Thanks Walnuts, I'll be using this from now on until something else comes along that catches my fancy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

The gallop :):D;)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

loveBBhate wrote: »
    The gallop :D First I've heard this phrase used for partaking in sexual intercourse, I LOL'd as they say :) Thanks Walnuts, I'll be using this from now on until something else comes along that catches my fancy :)

Ha gallop is a decent one alright, use it rarely for maximum effect!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

Would the Ra really have executed Dano in such a painful manner in real life? His crime was insubordination, yet despite his previous loyalty he was left to die a slow painful death like they would give to an informer. I get the feeling in real life a quick bullet to the back of the head would have been the situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

If so....

New theory!

Was it not the newer nurse Fran was after? Thought that particular piece of dialogue referred to her and not the one who went to the guards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Would the Ra really have executed Dano in such a painful manner in real life? His crime was insubordination, yet despite his previous loyalty he was left to die a slow painful death like they would give to an informer. I get the feeling in real life a quick bullet to the back of the head would have been the situation.

I guess the treatment would be at the discretion of the individuals within the IRA involved. My guess is that the Nidge situation was part of a long list of incidents Dano was involved in that brought bad attention to the IRA. From the start of series 3, we see Dano kneecap Ado which even Git was not in favour of. So, to Tony, I'd say Dano was regarded as a loose cannon as dangerous as an informer. Tony has a nice little arrangement with Nidge and he was not going to let Dano ruin that. So, ultimately, Dano was sacrificed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

loveBBhate wrote: »
    Anyone watch What Richard Did tonight, the midweek movie? Luke from Love/Hate is in it, weird to see him so... so... normal?! :D so far anyway, only ten minutes in at the moment.

The guy on the door at the party I think was Fran as well. He wouldn't leave Richard back into it..

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Big Game

Was it not the newer nurse Fran was after? Thought that particular piece of dialogue referred to her and not the one who went to the guards.

It was indeed. And he didn't get her number despite it being reported in one recap (think it was the journal) that he had, it was just the alarm codes that the dentist was writing down for Fran.

Oh, and the gallop is a great auld expression alright, probably even better than the rattle!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Luke was a creepy character it would have been interesting to see him in series 3 and 4. I guess Mary's character was discontinued due to Ruth Bradley moving onto other things and Luke's character had a lot to do with hers?

One interesting thing about Luke's demise is that we get to see that rarity of Nidge himself taking someone out. Surprisingly too, this killing is not drug related: it is a favour to Darren to set Mary's mind at ease (even though Mary would hardly approve!) and Darren's as Darren believed Luke would end up killing or raping Mary.
    Luke was also darrens getaway driver and became a liability as he new to much and was a little careless.

• Advertisement

ya just couldn't be up to them lads..

Nidge has Wayne in mind for some job. This could be it. I personally hope that Fran survives though. We could see some Cliffhanger like Fran getting shot by Wayne and someone like Deano pipebombing Nidge's house with us left wondering who survived for the next season.
    i like it....

Thats all. RTE should at least look to extend it to 8 for next season although they seem to think that the money would be better spent on their presenters.

8 would probably be just the right amount. Could help with that extra bit of character development.
    Dear RTE, please spend Pat kennys former salary on an extra episode of love / hate

If so....

New theory!

:D

The Gallop....fantastic :D

I think it was the new dental nurse Fran was looking for the number of though.

Sins of the father perhaps. Tony knew Git had form when it came to 'd'wimmin' and was becoming a liablility. Dont forget Dano also shot Aido by mistake which in turn caused the pipebomb outside the Napper Tandy. Id say it was a case of getting rid of the Loughmans before they do any more damage and the drug gang done half the job for them and gave them a window of opportunity to extort money out of them as well as ship their weapons in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

All this talk of "the gallop", reminds me of another old term "galloping maggots"

Dear RTE, please spend Pat kennys former salary on an extra episode of love / hate

Dear RTE. Get rid of Hector, Daithi O'Se, Derek Mooney, Gay Byrne, Blathnaid, and a few others and pump more money into creative writing.

Sins of the father perhaps. Tony knew Git had form when it came to 'd'wimmin' and was becoming a liablility. Dont forget Dano also shot Aido by mistake which in turn caused the pipebomb outside the Napper Tandy. Id say it was a case of getting rid of the Loughmans before they do any more damage and the drug gang done half the job for them and gave them a window of opportunity to extort money out of them as well as ship their weapons in.

Exactly. I'm sure Tony knew exactly why Git died. The cops had afterall traced the rape of Siobhan to St Patricks night and the disappearance of Git too. Obviously, Tony knew this too.

To Tony, Git's rape was not in keeping with the ideals of his cause and Git was in his eyes no true friend of the IRA after that. Whether Tony knew Git's true nature before that I am less sure: he gave the oration at Git's memorial for sure. Tony probably knew Git could be capable of having affairs and the like but maybe not rape?

However, the fact that Git did the rape allowed Tony to justify his continued dealings with Nidge and as I predicted all along, it would be Tony who would ultimately take out Dano too. Again, like Git, Dano's character was flawed: his kneecapping of Ado by mistake was a sure show of incompetence that drew unwanted attention on the gang. His later insatiable appetite for revenge was also taking over from normal IRA roles so by episode 4, any affection that Tony may have had for Dano was quenched (to Tony, Dano's attempted plan of a hit on Nidge and he going against direct orders confirmed his disappointment and disillusionment with him).

To Tony, Nidge on the other hand was someone he gained more and more respect for. Firstly, he may have seen him as a regular 'drug dealing gangster' who he despised but as things progressed, the pair gained more and more respect for each other. Tony was grateful for Nidge's moderate policies and reigning in the gang. Then, he was grateful for offering Darren (Nidge was telling the truth to Tony when he said Darren was the one responsible for the pipe bomb, the disrespectful carry on at the IRA sing song and Git's murder) and he admired Nidge's bravery to come to him on both occasions. Nidge has never disobeyed Tony's orders and this also makes him much more 'one of his own' to Tony than Dano ever was! Nidge also knows a good thing when he sees it and Tony will be a useful ally for him to have in the near future I feel!

Of course, the jury is out on Lizzie. Is Lizzie someone the IRA can forgive or not. Unlike Git and Dano, she is probably solid and reliable in general and Tony would know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Does Tony know Lizzie exists?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I agree 100%. Love/Hate is the best series on TV in ages on any channel and is the antidote to all that reality TV/talent competitions/political debates/chefs that have for too long dominated our screens on both Irish and British channels.

I have nothing against Pat Kenny but he definitely was not worth what he was paid and especially since 2009 he was just floating aimlessly around. The Frontline was one of the poorest and most depressing chatshows ever and was not surprised at all when it ended. It summed up Pat Kenny's later, uninventive years perfectly. Kenny to be fair was good in his day (Kenny Live, The Late Late, Today Tonight, etc. all had their moments for sure) but he should have retired after the Late Late in 2009.

More Love/Hate and similar series is what we need. It shows that Ireland can produce the goods when given the opportunity. With chatshows on the wane (the guests are not there anymore for a full 25 week or so season), quality drama is what RTE should focus on. The Frontline, The Late Late Tubridy Show, etc. have all been relative disasters whereas Love/Hate is not only a success but a phenomenon. Tom Vaughn-Lawlor's Nidge is an iconic character with the same appeal and mass recognition as Larry Hagman's JR Ewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭Duggie2012

Love/Hate is the best show on tv since The Sopranos. Its the only show since then that i'm looking forward all week to the next episode. Will it ever be topped again on irish tv...unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Exactly. I'm sure Tony knew exactly why Git died. The cops had afterall traced the rape of Siobhan to St Patricks night and the disappearance of Git too. Obviously, Tony knew this too.

To Tony, Git's rape was not in keeping with the ideals of his cause and Git was in his eyes no true friend of the IRA after that. Whether Tony knew Git's true nature before that I am less sure: he gave the oration at Git's memorial for sure. Tony probably knew Git could be capable of having affairs and the like but maybe not rape?

However, the fact that Git did the rape allowed Tony to justify his continued dealings with Nidge and as I predicted all along, it would be Tony who would ultimately take out Dano too. Again, like Git, Dano's character was flawed: his kneecapping of Ado by mistake was a sure show of incompetence that drew unwanted attention on the gang. His later insatiable appetite for revenge was also taking over from normal IRA roles so by episode 4, any affection that Tony may have had for Dano was quenched (to Tony, Dano's attempted plan of a hit on Nidge and he going against direct orders confirmed his disappointment and disillusionment with him).

To Tony, Nidge on the other hand was someone he gained more and more respect for. Firstly, he may have seen him as a regular 'drug dealing gangster' who he despised but as things progressed, the pair gained more and more respect for each other. Tony was grateful for Nidge's moderate policies and reigning in the gang. Then, he was grateful for offering Darren (Nidge was telling the truth to Tony when he said Darren was the one responsible for the pipe bomb, the disrespectful carry on at the IRA sing song and Git's murder) and he admired Nidge's bravery to come to him on both occasions. Nidge has never disobeyed Tony's orders and this also makes him much more 'one of his own' to Tony than Dano ever was! Nidge also knows a good thing when he sees it and Tony will be a useful ally for him to have in the near future I feel!

Of course, the jury is out on Lizzie. Is Lizzie someone the IRA can forgive or not. Unlike Git and Dano, she is probably solid and reliable in general and Tony would know this.

Do you remember Tony's conversation with Nidge where he asked if there was any trouble at the Brazzers? He asked twice and he was surprised when Nidge said 'No'.

I'd say he does. Wasn't Lizzie's brother the guy with the balaclava at the Git memorial with Tony?

Dempsey wrote: »
    Do you remember Git's conversation with Nidge where he asked if there was any trouble at the Brazzers? He asked twice and he was surprised when Nidge said 'No'.

You mean Tony's and Dano's?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    Love/Hate is the best show on tv since The Sopranos. Its the only show since then that i'm looking forward all week to the next episode. Will it ever be topped again on irish tv...unlikely.

Walter White would strongly disagree there.

Walter White would strongly disagree there.

Love/Hate, Breaking Bad and The Sopranos are all excellent shows. I think Breaking Bad was the best US show of its type since The Sopranos and Love/Hate joins these 2 in what are the three best dramas of the last decade (Dallas 2012- is great too (pity about JR/Larry) but of course that was originated in 1978).

Tony knew her brothers Paddy and Ray. He seemed to value Paddy's opinion in one episode and he might realise that Lizzie is fairly loyal and controllable now Dano is out of the picture. Then again he may not take a chance.

Tony asked Nidge last series if anything happened in the brothel the night 'Mandela' went missing

At least 'mad bitch' Georgina is back on the market now :)

yeah wonder will she appear again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

She was always on the market to be fair, or at least for Tommy anyway ;) :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement