Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Ravanelli wrote: »
    What use is Fran anyway to Nidge?

To me Fran is the biggest pyschopath of the group . So his use to nigde is to intimidate and strike fear into anyone that trys to mess with the drugs operation . Things like digging up the coffin and the fact he was so willing to murder tommy show he is not a bloke to be messed .

Like this is the thing that annoys me about the show sometimes. It wouldn't kill them to throw in a bit about how much money each character is pulling in and kicking up. In the Sopranos Tony despite personally loathing some people (
    such as Ralphie
    ) kept them around because they were good earners.

This whole thing about Fran, I don't see what the big deal is to Nidge. What good is Fran to Nidge in the first place? Does he bring Nidge in a lot of money? If so they should probably inform us of it.

If you watch it back you will see he becomes his second in command. Nidge used trust him and Fran licked up to Nidge at first but now that relationship has been fractured.

Plus your comparing Love/Hate to the Sopranos who have a greater budget to work with thus they can make more episodes and develop characters better.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

Like this is the thing that annoys me about the show sometimes. It wouldn't kill them to throw in a bit about how much money each character is pulling in and kicking up. In the Sopranos Tony despite personally loathing some people (
    such as Ralphie

This whole thing about Fran, I don't see what the big deal is to Nidge. What good is Fran to Nidge in the first place? Does he bring Nidge in a lot of money? If so they should probably inform us of it.

nidges gang is pretty crap.aido and elmo botched a hit on darren when he was locked in a car.the russian nidge probably doesn't know well enough to traust with wet work.fran is a very effective and streetwise thug and his mate seems capable as well. since darren was "clipped" nidge has a serious shortage of competent underlings. fran is basically running the dentist drug run which is high end and complicated.nidge also knows that he can depend on fran in dangerous situations - like dumping git. thats what fran brings to the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Ravanelli

Yes - it is showing that the norms of society do not mean anything to them - even in parts of the Northside of Dublin - they got kids to walk into public places and kill people - the kids would be caught

They got kids to do it though as you said. They weren't there in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

such as Ralphie

Better to have him inside the tent urinating out, than outside the tent urinating in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

So even if there is something you actually like in it you wont say it for fear of being caught up in unconditional fandom and no matter how ridiculous it might seem to your seemingly strangely wired brain every week you'll still tune in the following week and the following series??? Right ok so. :confused:

I've said plenty about the good points. Give it up please, just ignore the discussions you don't want to get involved in. I'm sure the writers are grown ups and don't need defending.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,697 ✭✭✭brian_t

Posy wrote: »
    Is next week the last in the series? :(
    Yes. The 6th and final episode.

Paranoid scumbags can get sloppy. Cant be a mastermind 24/7

I know but I think personally shooting at some fella in broad daylight when being a gangland boss is a bit unbelievable.

To me Fran is the biggest pyschopath of the group . So his use to nigde is to intimidate and strike fear into anyone that trys to mess with the drugs operation . Things like digging up the coffin and the fact he was so willing to murder tommy show he is not a bloke to be messed .

I agree, though striking fear into the dentist isn't hard work.

If you watch it back you will see he becomes his second in command. Nidge used trust him and Fran licked up to Nidge at first but now that relationship has been fractured.

Plus your comparing Love/Hate to the Sopranos who have a greater budget to work with thus they can make more episodes and develop characters better.

True but that's a lack of continuity aswell. In S2 Fran appeared to be an opposing gang boss, in S3 he's Nidge's underling.

I agree The Sopranos had a much larger budget meaning they could develop characters a lot better, but the emphasis on money in Love/Hate wouldn't require a big budget. Aido and Elmo must be paid a pittance.

• Advertisement

jonsnow wrote: »
    nidges gang is pretty crap.aido and elmo botched a hit on darren when he was locked in a car.the russian nidge probably doesn't know well enough to traust with wet work.fran is a very effective and streetwise thug and his mate seems capable as well. since darren was "clipped" nidge has a serious shortage of competent underlings. fran is basically running the dentist drug run which is high end and complicated.nidge also knows that he can depend on fran in dangerous situations - like dumping git. thats what fran brings to the table.

I agree his gang is pretty crap. And Fran is useful in the situations you've mentioned but nothing that should have Nidge think twice about clipping him. The shortcomings in Nidge's gang should make them targets for other gangs in the city. Yet their paths never seem to cross.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

I know but I think personally shooting at some fella in broad daylight when being a gangland boss is a bit unbelievable.

Hmm well I dont think that was his plan. He wasnt expecting yer man to burst out through the door and attack him. Shít happens in a frenzy

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

True but that's a lack of continuity aswell. In S2 Fran appeared to be an opposing gang boss, in S3 he's Nidge's underling.

I agree The Sopranos had a much larger budget meaning they could develop characters a lot better, but the emphasis on money in Love/Hate wouldn't require a big budget. Aido and Elmo must be paid a pittance.

Aido spends it on drugs and the moth!

Seriously, where do you think the majority of these hoods end up? The likes of Aido and Elmo in real life endup injecting it up an arm or pissing it against a wall. You've thousands of so called hoods, but only a few ever get to lead a gang. The leaders get all the press, the hoods are just another statistic.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

They got kids to do it though as you said. They weren't there in person.
    Yes but this is a Drama trying to show this,

Also - a bloke who makes , homemade bombs - is going to be, by it's nature backstreet. Bad area - cops don't do that area until a call is made.

That is real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Debbie's dead
    Overall though a pretty forgettable episode . I'm struggling to remember what happened exactly. Maybe it's just that the editing was a mess but there was no structure to it at all.

Was expecting Debbie to meet up with Tommy or jog his memory loss or something or do some collective acting scenes with at least some of the original cast thats left ,but that was a pretty rushed exit . The actress must have had a sudden offer elsewhere.

It's pretty standard that there's a closing song but I think it's become standard to have the uplifting song 30 seconds into the start now too.
    I prefer the bluesy guitar number at the start of the first episode myself.

Hmm well I dont think that was his plan. He wasnt expecting yer man to burst out through the door and attack him. Shít happens in a frenzy

Still though, to be there to carry out a murder personally, it's not realistic.

Takes away seriously from the whole ''Nidge weasel'' persona that has been built up.

Paddy outside his house, silencer, bullet to the back of the head, job done.

They had the patience to intimidate that Garda for days.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,898 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Debbie's dead
    Overall though a pretty forgettable episode . I'm struggling to remember what happened exactly. Maybe it's just that the editing was a mess but there was no structure to it at all.

Was expecting Debbie to meet up with Tommy or jog his memory loss or something or do some collective acting scenes with at least some of the original cast thats left ,but that was a pretty rushed exit . The actress must have had a sudden offer elsewhere.

It's pretty standard that there's a closing song but I think it's become standard to have the uplifting song 30 seconds into the start now too.
    I prefer the bluesy guitar number at the start of the first episode myself.

Yes Debbie's exit and role in this series was ridiculously underplayed - she was one of the few remaining from the John Boy legacy.

They ****ed up there.

K-9 wrote: »
    Aido spends it on drugs and the moth!

Seriously, where do you think the majority of these hoods end up? The likes of Aido and Elmo in real life endup injecting it up an arm or pissing it against a wall. You've thousands of so called hoods, but only a few ever get to lead a gang. The leaders get all the press, the hoods are just another statistic.

He mustn't earn much though. This is a compact gang though. The lack of money among the other characters (Aido, Elmo) takes away from the realism for me, all the risk, the stress and for what? To live in the same dive with not one mention of what use the money is to them?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Yes Debbie's exit and role in this series was ridiculously underplayed - she was one of the few remaining from the John Boy legacy.

They ****ed up there.

Totally agree.
    Trish is a bit of a non entity this time around as well. Doesn't seemingly question where the Nidgster spends his night's anymore.
    And Siobhan has cried in every mini-scene so far.

We're left stuck with Janet. Really wish someone would clip her tbf.

Yes but this is a Drama trying to show this,

Also - a bloke who makes , homemade bombs - is going to be, by it's nature backstreet. Bad area - cops don't do that area until a call is made.

That is real world.

The kid wasn't even going to carry out the murder.

In the real world a drugs boss wouldn't be going to commit a murder in broad daylight in the city, no matter if it's in a backstreet or wherever.

The very use of a random kid to be there during this murder, who he first met a couple of weeks ago (nevermind the fact Wayne would've killed Nidge in his house) is unrealistic in itself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Good scrap between Paddy and Nidge and Wayne, it looked like a real street fight and not that staged crap that you see in other shows.

Don't really get what nidge sees in Janet, Trish is way ahead of her in the looks department and most of the hookers are stunners if he felt his little buddy needed some action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Love the show don't get me wrong but anyone else feel like Eastern Europeans are being portrayed in a fairly poor light. They're either drug addicts/prostitutes or security men for drug gangs? I mean a little balance would be nice in that respect is all i'm saying. Remembering reading in Irish Times Culture magazine of about Eastern European actors/actresses saying that they find it hard to get roles that aren't as drug dealers or prostitutes.
    Can't believe Debbie went so fast wasn't expecting that. Nidge showing his ruthless side for sure there. Some interesting parent skills by the bomb maker!:pac: Really want to slap the dentist he always looks a bit daft and lost like he's only half there!

The actresses is Italian. Silvia Napoleoni.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

RIP Denise
    silvia.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

Seen this little snapper over on the YFYL thread and he's the cut of Nidge haha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

A drugs boss armed with a handgun shouting and kicking in a door in broad daylight accompanied by some teenager he met a couple of weeks ago didn't seem overly sloppy to you?

I like Love/Hate and understand it's budgetary limitations but it's getting needlessly sloppy. :(

Didn't some lad in Dublin shoot himself in the leg during a hit recently? These lads aren't geniuses and maybe this was showing that.
    As for using a teenager....most of the scummers in real life are young because the older ones are either locked up or brown bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

A small note (since pretty much all of my other thoughts have been said already) but I think it's a nice touch how we're seeing more of Aido's work behind the scenes, and how he's being portrayed as competent this season when he was once a disgusting, creepy buffoon. That's important with so many integral characters having been killed off (with more likely to come). It gives a depth and credibility to the gang that they needed after Darren died. And it makes sense of scenes like the ones with Keith Duffy. You could almost imagine Aido leading the gang one day, or at least heading things up temporarily if Nidge was holed up in prison...

Oh, and was anyone else fearing for Elmo when the guards told the dentist that the leak wouldn't be traced back to him? If it's going to become obvious that there's a rat, without the actual rat being obvious, who seems the most likely candidate to Nidge et al?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

He mustn't earn much though. This is a compact gang though. The lack of money among the other characters (Aido, Elmo) takes away from the realism for me, all the risk, the stress and for what? To live in the same dive with not one mention of what use the money is to them?

The living conditions of Aido and Elmo are pretty consistent with their real world equivalents. They're born and raised in ghettos and would probably still live there even if they had the money to move. It's all they know and all they feel comfortable in. Most are uneducated scum with little to no aspirations or ambitions, just content to be a big fish in their small pond. The other poster was dead right in his assertion that most of their money goes into their arm, too. The old 'Never get high off your own supply' adage doesn't really apply over here, where the drugs scene is relatively small (for as big of a problem as it is) and the top street dealers are typically the least strung out junkies of the pack.

Gang leaders tend to have bigger aspirations, which is what ultimately lands them there to begin with, they at least have the brains to want a better life and balance the risk:reward ratio you refer to. They just come from the same humble backgrounds as the Aido's of this world so don't apply their considerable street smarts to a legit means that require harder work in exchange for lesser immediate reward and an increased life expectancy. That expectancy isn't there to begin with, which leaves them with little qualms for taking an easier path for quick and easy cash. Their moral quandary is solved by the fact that they're either legitimate psychopaths and/or feel hard done by in life, so they think, "Why should I respect the law if nobody is looking out for me?" And that's why the cycle continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Nailbiting stuff tonight. Was rooting for Patrick myself. Would like to see him become more of a main character if possible. I almost spat out me chocolate milk when Keith Duffy appeared. I think he's a decent enough actor, and has been in a good few shows over the years. Would be nice to see Shane Lynch appear in it at some stage too - he was in Dream Team a few years ago and did a great job. He looks the part for Love/Hate as well - moreso than Duffy.
    Debbie was a headwreck. Was delighted when I saw she had overdosed as well as the other one.

My prediction for next week is Fran or Patrick try to take Nidge out once he finds out it was him who pipe bombed Linda, but Warren and/or Trish get in the crossfire.

Have to disagree with those saying the writing is getting sloppy - personally I think it gets stronger every season. Nidge taking Wayne along to kill Patrick made perfect sense if you've been paying attention to Nidge's character progression over the years. He's paranoid as f**k at the moment and thinks everyone is out to get him. He couldn't get anyone else to do his dirty work because it would leave a trail, which might get back to Fran - the fewer people that know the better. He trusts Wayne to an extent, but at the end of the day Wayne is expendable and no one in the gang would question it if a few weeks down the line Nidge asked Elmo or Aido to put a few bullets in Wayne.

The complaint about the use of the word "gaffer" is a bit silly - it's not the most common of expressions outside of England, but it definitely does get used in Ireland. I blame the Premier Leauge and the like, for it's increased use this side of the pond.

Comparisons to The Sopranos and The Wire is crazy since, one is about a New Jersey Mob, the other is set in Baltimore and although it has similar content, doesn't have a monopoly on any gang related dramas. Love/Hate is about the criminal underground in Dublin and does a pretty good job at portraying it, as many former criminals will attest to. However, the fact that people are comparing it to two of, arguably, the best shows of all time, only means that people hold it in a similar high regard, so whatevs.

Fair enough, if people think it's all sloppy writing though - we're entitled to our own opinions. However, I'm of the opinion that some people really just don't get it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Nailbiting stuff tonight. Was rooting for Patrick myself. Would like to see him become more of a main character if possible. I almost spat out me chocolate milk when Keith Duffy appeared. I think he's a decent enough actor, and has been in a good few shows over the years. Would be nice to see Shane Lynch appear in it at some stage too - he was in Dream Team a few years ago and did a great job. He looks the part for Love/Hate as well - moreso than Duffy.
    Debbie was a headwreck. Was delighted when I saw she had overdosed as well as the other one.

My prediction for next week is Fran or Patrick try to take Nidge out once he finds out it was him who pipe bombed Linda, but Warren and/or Trish get in the crossfire.

Have to disagree with those saying the writing is getting sloppy - personally I think it gets stronger every season. Nidge taking Wayne along to kill Patrick made perfect sense if you've been paying attention to Nidge's character progression over the years. He's paranoid as f**k at the moment and thinks everyone is out to get him. He couldn't get anyone else to do his dirty work because it would leave a trail, which might get back to Fran - the fewer people that know the better. He trusts Wayne to an extent, but at the end of the day Wayne is expendable and no one in the gang would question it if a few weeks down the line Nidge asked Elmo or Aido to put a few bullets in Wayne.

The complaint about the use of the word "gaffer" is a bit silly - it's not the most common of expressions outside of England, but it definitely does get used in Ireland. I blame the Premier Leauge and the like, for it's increased use this side of the pond.

Comparisons to The Sopranos and The Wire is crazy since, one is about a New Jersey Mob, the other is set in Baltimore and although it has similar content, doesn't have a monopoly on any gang related dramas. Love/Hate is about the criminal underground in Dublin and does a pretty good job at portraying it, as many former criminals will attest to. However, the fact that people are comparing it to two of, arguably, the best shows of all time, only means that people hold it in a similar high regard, so whatevs.

Fair enough, if people think it's all sloppy writing though - we're entitled to our own opinions. However, I'm of the opinion that some people really just don't get it. ;)
    I hate the fact if you dont like an episode, you are not intelligent enough to enjoy it. I am enjoying the season but it is definitely the weakest. It has far too many loose ends going into the final episode in which I am predicting only one or 2 will be closed making this just a filler season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I hate the fact if you dont like an episode, you are not intelligent enough to enjoy it.

The winky smiley means I was teasing - just having a laugh with what someone else had said. Chill man, it's all Coola Buala, as Fran would say. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement