Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

P.Walnuts wrote: »
    Tony never participated in anything close to Nidge's attempted hit.

What about when he
    strangled that guy in daylight while on a college trip with Meadow
    ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

starskey77 wrote: »
    in love hate can anyone understand aido or his charming girlfriend
    subtittles please

Yes. I can understand them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Few cotton buds might sort you out, also Aertel used to always have subtitles for the hard of hearing on page 888

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Im sure tommy would give a **** . He spent most of last season with her!

Leaving it ro the final episode for Nidge and Timmy to be forced to mention the name Darren is a little late. If that hasn't been done already ,why even bother at this stage.. it's effect is gone.

Trish is the wife of the main character. She was plucky enough before, criminally underused afterthought now.

We could have a fifth series being just an unrelated spin off at this stage and no-one would even think to mention continuity.
    i doubt tommy even knows who she is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

OldEnglish Prolespeak doubleplusbad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Hitchens wrote: »
    Does Fran spend every night sitting outside, awake? :D

Well, it is mushie season!!:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Im sure tommy would give a **** . He spent most of last season with her!

That was always more than a bit one way though, think it was just another case of Tommy's tendency to identify the worst possible course of action regarding women and pursue it. There was a certain connection yeah, but just because he cared a bit for her doesn't mean that he's guaranteed to get a goodbye or anything.
    Leaving it ro the final episode for Nidge and Timmy to be forced to mention the name Darren is a little late. If that hasn't been done already ,why even bother at this stage.. it's effect is gone.

You did get Nidge and the grave in the first episode, and Siobhán talking about him this week, so he'll be mentioned in three out of six episodes. I kind of see your point but on a practical level it's pressed for time, and on a story level I don't imagine anyone involved particularly wants to talk about it, Nidge and Elmo probably feel like crap, Aido seems pretty good at burying all the rotten stuff he's done and carrying on as an ordinary decent scumbag, and besides they can't talk about it with other people because of the risk of the ra finding out the truth.
    Trish is the wife of the main character. She was plucky enough before, criminally underused afterthought now.

She's a good actress and her hair is savage, but I don't really get what you expect her to be doing. She's not going to call Nidge out on how he gets his money, she's always known the basics and not wanted to know any more. Nidge is very isolated from his family at the moment because of his work, not having as many scenes with Trish emphasises that. She's hardly going to work with the gards like, where else can she fit in? Maybe some more screen time with siobhán, but I think her being marginalised is deliberate, not an oversight.
    We could have a fifth series being just an unrelated spin off at this stage and no-one would even think to mention continuity.

There's a high staff turnover in violent organised crime like. The continuity is the place and line of work that it's set in, it's not any one character's show, apart from maybe Nidge.

EDIT: though, to be fair, Fran starting to bang on about Linda felt a bit random this week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Found it very funny last night when Garda gaffer guy told Siobhan 'I've 2lsds watching tommy they'll tell me when he comes back' I just got an image of tommy mooning some unsuspecting young WANs with gardai not knowing what to do .

Also Trish is only with nidge for the moola and status. Even at end last nidge when nidge showed up with a marked face she never asked a question only tried to make him forget about it.

On the cocsine thing Jojn boy was the real user but Darren and Tommy put a fair amount away last season too. They both used it yo get through jobs they wanted to forget.

Debbie was a cautionary tale from start to finish of a middle class girl gone bad.
    A sadly predictable end for her. She went from being a loved child to john boys toy to drug user to addict to street prostitute.
    Tragic waste if anyone's life

One thing I found really upsetting last night was Debbie friend describing not being able to feel sex with nidge as she was still numb after a DnC (presumably after an abortion or miscarriage) . Just callously describes the power of the heroin and prostitution cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Ravanelli

Didn't some lad in Dublin shoot himself in the leg during a hit recently? These lads aren't geniuses and maybe this was showing that.
    As for using a teenager....most of the scummers in real life are young because the older ones are either locked up or brown bread.

Yeah but for Nidge to be there personally was just a bit too much. I'm not the only one who thinks that, other people were saying it today.

There are more hits that are carried out in a calculated manner in reality though.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

She's a good actress and her hair is savage, but I don't really get what you expect her to be doing. She's not going to call Nidge out on how he gets his money, she's always known the basics and not wanted to know any more. Nidge is very isolated from his family at the moment because of his work, not having as many scenes with Trish emphasises that. She's hardly going to work with the gards like, where else can she fit in? Maybe some more screen time with siobhán, but I think her being marginalised is deliberate, not an oversight
    I think the second bolded bit is correct, because the first bolded bit is incorrect ;)

• Advertisement

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    What about when he
    ?

At least that was secluded though, out in the wilderness.

Besides he was only a Capo then :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Love/hate has to be the most over hyped and over rated show ever.
    You would want to be leading a fairly boring life to enjoy watching a bunch of Dublin losers and wasters week in week out for entertainment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

You would want to be leading a fairly boring life to enjoy watching a bunch of Dublin losers and wasters week in week out for entertainment.
    why what do you like?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Yer man who
    tried to shoot Christopher, Pussy, the witness protection guy he came across when he took Meadow on the college thing, he was way too involved in disposing of Ralphie's body as well.
    He nearly got caught rotten on the first one too.
    AnonoBoy wrote: »
    What about when he
    ?

Don't want to turn this into a Soprano's discussion but
    The rat he killed in the college episode was done extremely professionally. He saw the guy and waited for he right moment, returned in a secluded area and garotted him, hardly the same as old Nidge! Pussy was killed on a boat in the middle of the ocean, and the guy who shot at christopher was shot as he was tied up in a safehouse. Planned hits which had minimal risk, again unlike Nidge. The Ralph one was different as it was a crime of pure rage, but it was in a private house, different scenario completely.

Sleepy wrote: »
    I think the second bolded bit is correct, because the first bolded bit is incorrect ;)

Really? :( I like her, thought her scene when she found out the baby was a boy was really touching.

Excellent contribution
    Where would I get the vampire diaries boxset?

Bye bye now.

leggo wrote: »
    The living conditions of Aido and Elmo are pretty consistent with their real world equivalents. They're born and raised in ghettos and would probably still live there even if they had the money to move. It's all they know and all they feel comfortable in. Most are uneducated scum with little to no aspirations or ambitions, just content to be a big fish in their small pond. The other poster was dead right in his assertion that most of their money goes into their arm, too. The old 'Never get high off your own supply' adage doesn't really apply over here, where the drugs scene is relatively small (for as big of a problem as it is) and the top street dealers are typically the least strung out junkies of the pack.

Gang leaders tend to have bigger aspirations, which is what ultimately lands them there to begin with, they at least have the brains to want a better life and balance the risk:reward ratio you refer to. They just come from the same humble backgrounds as the Aido's of this world so don't apply their considerable street smarts to a legit means that require harder work in exchange for lesser immediate reward and an increased life expectancy. That expectancy isn't there to begin with, which leaves them with little qualms for taking an easier path for quick and easy cash. Their moral quandary is solved by the fact that they're either legitimate psychopaths and/or feel hard done by in life, so they think, "Why should I respect the law if nobody is looking out for me?" And that's why the cycle continues.

We don't really have many ''ghettos'' though in reality. These gangs in Dublin from places like Blanchardstown, Clondalkin, Ballyfermot etc they aren't exactly ''ghettos''. There are plenty of people who work in those places, and they don't appear deprived (I've lived in two of them). Yeah I agree but for fellas like Aido and Elmo who people have suggested waste their money on drugs to be as close to Nidge as they are just appears either unrealistic, or if it's not then Nidge's gang are really small fish in the Dublin scene.

I enjoyed your synopsis though, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

And yet you took a break from your exciting life to post on the thread.

In fairness Elmo's car is a disgrace, surely he can afford better than that

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Lisha wrote: »
    Also Trish is only with nidge for the moola and status. Even at end last nidge when nidge showed up with a marked face she never asked a question only tried to make him forget about it.

She did ask, he replied "you should see the other guy". She doesn't really want to know too much though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭Hitchens

anyone else waiting for Keith Duffy to greet Aido in last night's episode with a

"ah howya buddy?" :D

• Advertisement

He brought a new lad because he didn't want anyone who knows Fran to be in on the job. Not that Fran seems particularly popular with any of the rest of the lads but it was, in his mind, better to be safe than sorry- if Fran was to find out Nidge had a part in killing the traveller he thought he had only met a few days prior, he could put 2 and 2 together easily enough regarding his motive.

Still, I reckon Nidge would have had the young lad packing a gun as well as himself.

It's been so long now I can't recall, but who did Nidge tell Fran had personally carried out the pipe bomb attack once they aligned together? Hughie maybe? Someone dead presumably. Even with all that the traveller did not know that Nidge personally used that particular pipe bomb for the attack and so could not really use it against him, Nidge could have countered by saying that particular weapon was the one Darren used to attack the Ra lads car at the pub.

I can see where you're coming from. The scene was just a disaster though. They could have clipped that traveller a lot easier than that (different location). For Nidge to be there was just stupid behaviour altogether. Bad judgement by him to not pick Elmo/Aido for the job despite what happened that time with Darren.

I can't remember, Hughie and Fran in a scene together, that would be class :D Hughie was an even more unhinged lunatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

No problem with the writer killing of Debs if thats what he wants to do but as ive said , give her a few scenes first for the sake of continuity.
    Eg if you're showing her at Tommy"s hospital bed with flowers at the end of the last season ,give her a scene with him before you kill her off.
    And get Tommy or someone to mention the name Darren just for continuity in the series.
    Fair enough with the dentist and bloody Janet but give Trish a Scene or two that shows she's not just a door mat or background wallpaper.

In the last 2 series there was good continuity. This time around its missing which makes it feel more abstract/disjointed.

For eg I don't believe Tommy will even mention Debbie next week .Thats bad for continuity of the show.

I get what you're saying about continuity.And I feel it would've been very easy to write at least another 2 episodes in this season, to follow through on potential loose ends.(Not so sure whether budget would've allowed though.)

In relation to Tommy, though- he wouldn't have been aware that Debbie was at his bedside-he was unconscious.
    As for now? Who's to say he'd ever get to hear of her death?
    He has significant brain damage-memory loss could be a factor.
    Plus she's an ex.* And he's not really hanging around with the others who could tell him about her death.

(*Half of my exes could be dead for all I know-why shouldn't a work of fiction be the same?)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

K-9 wrote: »
    She did ask, he replied "you should see the other guy". She doesn't really want to know too much though.

Yeah but as you said she not too interested in details.
    Having says that I think Trish really does love nidge. We have seen examples of him leaning on her to a certain extent.
    But we've also seen her feeling let down and unsupported by him.

I dunno I really found it weird nidge kissing Janet in public. To me it showed a mutual partnership that would oust Trish. But then nidges reaction after finding Debbie and Denise showed Janet nidges true colors. Her reaction also showed nidge Janet's moaney needy side that her finds so repellant in Trish.
    Janet might tell on nidge to cops now to save herself I don't know.
    Am looking forward to next sunday am just sorry there is not a few more episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sleepy wrote: »
    Are you aware she's actually from Northern Ireland, complete with thick Nordie accent? :)

Though she is a little weak in Love/Hate, granted. She's normally a stage actress and a very well respected one.

He had to do it himself - because he does not want to be linked to him being killed. But all the gangland bosses have killed somebody, and the latest gangland murders are in broad daylight. They do not fear the public or the guards - it is not that easy to catch somebody in a back ally.
    He is also grooming the young lad - his first job.

Yes was very messy for a supposed boss - but they are head cases these lads. Some of the murders/stabbings are over incidents in pubs etc.

On the other issue of money - and motivation.

These lads are often from a background where they are going nowhere - being in a gang is power for them - they get respect/fear from the neighbourhood - they love where they live, they know everybody and even are the go to people if you have a problem with kids messing etc.

Yes parts of the series have had flaws - but the story sometimes needs to progress - introducing new characters for progression is hard work in a very full cast already.

Yeah but my whole point is the boss being there personally in broad daylight in the city attempting to do a hit himself is lunacy.

I agree with you on that, just seemed out of character for Nidge, considering he was a paranoid mess last season over the dissidents, and held himself well enough kept things together until the Gardai raided the pub.

Yeah I know what you mean, but they usually have something that identifies some sort of wealth. Their lifestyle/cars/clothes within reason of course because of CAB. Elmo and Aido look like they gain nothing monetarily whatsoever from their actions. I think more time should be invested in the money aspect, and also the motivations for the likes of Aido and Elmo they never invest any time in that, what do they want the money for (Aido probably wants to start a family/Elmo for his partner/kid)? Would build at least some sympathy with their characters while still showing them as scumbags.

I'd like them to bring in some new characters alright. Perhaps someone who went to prison for 5 years pre-season 1 who was a heavy hitter during John Boy's reign, they could even do a flashback scene with all the lads together set 6 years ago (new character included). He could be released from prison and start to subtly undermine Nidge's authority, trying to turn members of the gang against him over money/Nidge's decisions etc. Would have to be a very good actor though to play that role properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,245 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I wasn't actually. My judgement of her acting was based entirely on her performance in Love/Hate which, tbh, has never been good. I honestly thought that she was largely written out as part of the rise in production quality this season. The better actors have come to the forefront with some of the hammier performances fading into the background.

For a show like this though, why would you cast someone who can't do a Dublin accent? It was the same with Aiden Gillan. He's normally a pretty decent actor but he came off very, very poorly as John Boy in Seasons 1 and 2.

Ravanelli wrote: »
    Y

Yeah I know what you mean, but they usually have something that identifies some sort of wealth. Their lifestyle/cars/clothes within reason of course because of CAB. Elmo and Aido look like they gain nothing monetarily whatsoever from their actions. I think more time should be invested in the money aspect, and also the motivations for the likes of Aido and Elmo they never invest any time in that, what do they want the money for? Would build at least some sympathy with their characters while still showing them as scumbags.

As far as I recall, the show got a lot of criticism in the first series for showing criminality as very rewarding, John Boy's house and the parties etc. Could be a case of over-correction there, there's much less graphic drug use as well these days.

As far as I recall, the show got a lot of criticism in the first series for showing criminality as very rewarding, John Boy's house and the parties etc. Could be a case of over-correction there, there's much less graphic drug use as well these days.

Yeah they probably pushed too far against the rewards because of the criticism.

For some it is very rewarding though, until they get locked up for years or get a bullet.

Do you think the writers are being overly influenced by critics?

I'd hate to think the writers are being hamstrung by the Joe duffy brigade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Thats a good point, Nidge lives like a bank manager. Anything beneath him is living in squalor. The days of collecting your dole in a top-end merc are over...CAB saw to that. But they should be sporting some tans from the five holidays a year in the Spanish villa(s) that they inevitably own. A quick look at the perma-tanned working class heroes on Coronation Street getting it all wrong would put the make-up/costume department straight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement