Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Ravanelli wrote: »
    Yeah they probably pushed too far against the rewards because of the criticism.

For some it is very rewarding though, until they get locked up for years or get a bullet.

Do you think the writers are being overly influenced by critics?
    P.Walnuts wrote: »
    I'd hate to think the writers are being hamstrung by the Joe duffy brigade

I dunno, there was a bit of carry on in the papers about portraying the gards as incompetent idiots after the last season too and then...there was also a bit of criticism about not having many strong female characters (jesus I hate that term) and then Lizzie comes along. It'd be hard not to be influenced by it I'd say.

There has to be some reason that the displays of wealth have gone down so drastically, like was said it'd be good to see what's in it for people like Aido and Elmo, in the first couple series Tommy Darren and Nidge were in similar roles to them and were very clearly well off.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ravanelli wrote: »
    Yeah they probably pushed too far against the rewards because of the criticism.

For some it is very rewarding though, until they get locked up for years or get a bullet.

Do you think the writers are being overly influenced by critics?
    no...in fact i'd say not at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

As far as I recall, the show got a lot of criticism in the first series for showing criminality as very rewarding, John Boy's house and the parties etc. Could be a case of over-correction there, there's much less graphic drug use as well these days.

True. I think John Boy was the only one to show obscene wealth in the series. Nidge comes across as more middle class while Ado seems to have come up to a more middle class place as well (his rundown flat and his drug usage seem to be consigned to the past). Fran seems to prefer by choice to live in a caravan and out in the country. He lived with Linda in a middle class type house in series 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Fran is an exception - we've no doubt he's Nidges equal. He just chooses to live as he does. His prime interests are dog fighting and getting wasted on poitin and mushies while playing with guns. These don't fit in with a suburban mentality. Unless you live beside me. Then you put up with it.

True. I think John Boy was the only one to show obscene wealth in the series. Nidge comes across as more middle class while Ado seems to have come up to a more middle class place as well (his rundown flat and his drug usage seem to be consigned to the past). Fran seems to prefer by choice to live in a caravan and out in the country. He lived with Linda in a middle class type house in series 2.

And in permanent twilight. In fairness it's hard to fully commit to poitín and mushroom fuelled psychotic episodes when you have to be worrying about neighbours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Love Hate Soundtrack: I don't like the over use of motown and old songs in the soundtrack, they obviously think they're being cleverly ironic but it just doesn't seem right to put such light hearted music over grim scenes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I doubt it - if they were the cat shooting scene wouldn't have been as graphic I don't think.
    Fran is an exception - we've no doubt he's Nidges equal. He just chooses to live as he does.

Fran was suburban though. Lived in the house and only after his wife died did he start living like a wild man.
    cloudatlas wrote: »
    Love Hate Soundtrack: I don't like the over use of motown and old songs in the soundtrack, they obviously think they're being cleverly ironic but it just doesn't seem right to put such light hearted music over grim scenes.

I don't think they think they're being "cleverly ironic" - is just that light-hearted music being used over grim scenes can be used to emphasise just how grim the content of the scenes actually is.

I don't see how it's not "right" - there's no rules about these sort of things, are there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

It's probably another casualty of the 'too many story lines, not enough episodes' problem but wasn't the Rent Boy Cop issue finished off a bit too sudden? Was he ever heard from again after he was arrested? Surely Nidge would find his snitch disappearing a bit strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

It's probably another casualty of the 'too many story lines, not enough episodes' problem but wasn't the Rent Boy Cop issue finished off a bit too sudden? Was he ever heard from again after he was arrested? Surely Nidge would find his snitch disappearing a bit strange.

Ye I was thinking that too

I'm hoping that if it transpires that Nidge has been playing the cops along that this was the thing that tipped him off, otherwise it's a strange omission alright

He only ever provided low level information...and was obviously into non-guard crap. Him getting fired / transferred wouldn't necessarily cause Nidge to be surprised or worry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

This song has been stuck in my head since Mr. Duffy popped up on screen last night... :D

ya just have to read the facebook comments to see that you are correct in that there are many many people who don't get it!!

Unfortunately any auld eejit can open a facebook account. It'd be great if there was a social site in which you needed to pass an intelligence test while signing up - would make the internet a much greater place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

Lisha wrote: »

One thing I found really upsetting last night was Debbie friend describing not being able to feel sex with nidge as she was still numb after a DnC (presumably after an abortion or miscarriage) . Just callously describes the power of the heroin and prostitution cycle.

I thought it was cos she was saying nidge had a nipple like flute.

what's dnc?

any idea what nidges logic is with not calling an ambo for the two dead junkie brazzers, but to leave them until they are two stinking dead junkie brazzers and someone else to call it in, same outcome just a week or so later until they stink bad enough to call the authorities. how was it better to do nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

That was always more than a bit one way though, think it was just another case of Tommy's tendency to identify the worst possible course of action regarding women and pursue it. There was a certain connection yeah, but just because he cared a bit for her doesn't mean that he's guaranteed to get a goodbye or anything.

You did get Nidge and the grave in the first episode, and Siobhán talking about him this week, so he'll be mentioned in three out of six episodes. I kind of see your point but on a practical level it's pressed for time, and on a story level I don't imagine anyone involved particularly wants to talk about it, Nidge and Elmo probably feel like crap, Aido seems pretty good at burying all the rotten stuff he's done and carrying on as an ordinary decent scumbag, and besides they can't talk about it with other people because of the risk of the ra finding out the truth.

She's a good actress and her hair is savage, but I don't really get what you expect her to be doing. She's not going to call Nidge out on how he gets his money, she's always known the basics and not wanted to know any more. Nidge is very isolated from his family at the moment because of his work, not having as many scenes with Trish emphasises that. She's hardly going to work with the gards like, where else can she fit in? Maybe some more screen time with siobhán, but I think her being marginalised is deliberate, not an oversight.

There's a high staff turnover in violent organised crime like. The continuity is the place and line of work that it's set in, it's not any one character's show, apart from maybe Nidge.

EDIT: though, to be fair, Fran starting to bang on about Linda felt a bit random this week

Yea I know and I get all that but I for eg ( and every one has there own whims) personally I'm losing a connection with the show because alot of the characters don't have any depth or continuity.
    Before this the only lapse in continuity really was Darren's sister and I don't know the full reason for that.

If you don't give a character any depth you don't care if they get bumped off or how. Why not bump Trish off now? She has no purpose anymore and would anyone really care? she is afterall an afterthought in this series.
    At least give her a few lines to say she's angry , or disillusioned keep the continuity. Its not fair to compare this with the Sopranos or breaking bad but no matter what was happening , the writers didn't simply ignore Walt's or Tony's wives, they were always consistently there and were real people with emotions .

Debbie's death would have a greater impact if the Tommy/Debbie storyline was rounded off first . It would have taken 3 minutes. Gave Debbie and Tommys characters more depth.

And I still think that we needed to at least hear Tommy once mention Darren,s name to even acknowledge if he even remembered who he was so as to give the show some continuous theme that would have taken 2 minutes as well.

I think that's the difference between a good show and a great show.

That and All these scenes with Janet and the dentist ....I mean Unless they are major major players next season it makes the shoe disjointed and and leaves people not really caring who gets killed next. I know I actually don't care who dies next because there's a lack of depth especially in the characters who are still there from series one or two. The exception maybe of Aido but im not sure how mmuch more we really know about him that we didn't already know tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

I thought it was cos she was saying nidge had a nipple like flute.

what's dnc?

any idea what nidges logic is with not calling an ambo for the two dead junkie brazzers, but to leave them until they are two stinking dead junkie brazzers and someone else to call it in, same outcome just a week or so later until they stink bad enough to call the authorities. how was it better to do nothing

DnC is a medical procedure to clean out a womb usually after a miscarrage.
    She could not feel him as she was still numb from anesethetic.

On not calling cops to dead girls I got the impression it was where girls lived not brothel so maybe not easily traced back to nidge . Am a bit confused too maybe he just wanted to buy more time before hassle I dunno
    Nidge said to move other girl to limerick so maybe he just walked away from property

Lisha wrote: »

On not calling cops to dead girls I got the impression it was where girls lived not brothel so maybe not easily traced back to nidge . Am a bit confused too maybe he just wanted to buy more time before hassle I dunno

Yeah he was saying something about gathering up anything personal, photos etc and if he had a few of the girls living there maybe he wanted time to clear everyone out before the gards got there in case one of them talked or was known to work for him? Or possibly he just knows it's going to get traced back to him and wants to get the port business done before there's any more attention on him. Felt like it was more to show how heartless he is or set Janet up against him than any organic motivation though.

Edit: just thinking as well actually, if they took the girls' phones and wallets etc it'd be feckin hard to identify them after a few days and it's fair to assume neither of them are in regular contact with their families, so maybe leaving it til the neighbours (presuming they're not friendly with the girls) call it in is just a guarantee that they won't be identified as "his" girls? They're over and back to the UK like yo-yos as well so if they were linked to him it could have bad implications. Explains Janet's worrying about their families as well, how hard are the gards going to bother with identifying two random dead junkies especially if nobody's looking for them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Keith ****ing Duffy

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭PlanIT Computing

"Bad batch" of heroin might affect sales if the papers found out about the girls dying ... I thought nidge mentioned that

I'm guessing its the imminent large shipment. He'd rather get that off the books first - then spend a little time if needs be to "help the Gardai with their enquiries" / sing "twinkle twinkle little star" whatever.
    Also a known drug dealer finding two OD victims (even if the gear wasn't his) does not look good from a staying out of jail point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 OguchiOneywu

Love the show but I agree with the other posters that have mentioned the use of musical montages at the beginning and end of every episode. It looks pretty stylish but it really diminishes the show when shown on DVDs and abroad where it's replaced by generic songs, really makes it hard to watch. I think it's lazy on behalf of the director or whoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Another n00b question, but is a season finale generally longer than your average episode? I'm seriously struggling to see how they're going to tie up so many loose ends in just one hour, have other seasons hadonger finales or will it be an hour just like the rest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Another n00b question, but is a season finale generally longer than your average episode? I'm seriously struggling to see how they're going to tie up so many loose ends in just one hour, have other seasons hadonger finales or will it be an hour just like the rest?

It won't be any longer and they don't intend to tie up all the loose ends either, some will carry over to season 5 I'd imagine.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It won't be any longer and they don't intend to tie up all the loose ends either, some will carry over to season 5 I'd imagine.

Ah, we'll that'll probably be fine then. Major story lines open at the moment are Tommy's whole situation, the business with the dentist and Fran's ongoing decent into insanity, would hope we get at least some resolution to the aforementioned next Sunday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

From what moynihan said to Andrew it seems they're well past the dummy run and are after receiving a few shipments already. Looks like they're well established gettin the deliveries through now

babygirlz wrote: »
    I thought the cat was Clio:D

How do I see what is behind the spoilers, all I see is grey bars :confused:

I named her Jess because she looks like Postman Pats cat

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Cork Boy

I'm not sure Ash, If the cops surprise you and coerce you into helping them, I can't see you running home and sitting down to write an essay on a pen drive? The scene when the Dentist was at home pondering, leads me to think he was scheming something up?

He's meeting with them, talking to them, so why the need for a pen drive?

Maybe it's related to

1. In case something happens to him?

2. He filling them with crap?

3. He going to divert them & try to hijack the shipment himself?

I just have a gut feeling it's significant, then again maybe not?

I thought the pen drive was just driving home his D4 "i was a consultant" personality.
    WildWater wrote: »
    What about the mole guard? Has everyone forgotten him? Is this a plot crack that has been left hanging or will he play a role in next week?

Nidge was all over the mole earlier in this series looking to know what the guards knew, their movements etc. Are we just suppose to believe that Nidge has forgotten about his inside mole as he plans his major shipment? If so it's not exactly strong script writing.

Or does Nidge know that he has been arrested and therefore is onto the fact that the guards are onto him? But, as far as I can tell, there has been no reference to Nidge knowing this.

Or is Moynihan going to use the mole guard to play Nidge next week?

The mole character could have been left in the background which could have added to the final build up but instead Carolan had him arrested by Moynihan. Why? Unless he want to have the ability to have Moynihan use the mole in a counter-intelligence fashion.

I think Carolan's writing is too good to have this mole character just forgotten. So my money is on Moynihan using the mole to play Nidge next week. To have the watertight case that he desperately seeks, Moynihan has to catch Nidge with the shipment. So it would make sense for Moynihan to use the mole guard to try and put Nidge at ease and lure him into the mistake of meeting up with the shipment. However, I think Nidge will smell a rat and not be there when the guards come busting in.

That... that there is a good post. I think you're overthinking things though as Nidge knows he's a useless sack of sh1te as a guard and/or as an informant.
    Love/hate has to be the most over hyped and over rated show ever.
    You would want to be leading a fairly boring life to enjoy watching a bunch of Dublin losers and wasters week in week out for entertainment.

poor troll is poor

Not the writers directly but I can imagine RTE telling the writers to tone things down.

Are you for real? I thought "Call me Angel" one or two seasons ago was a fantastic intro montage for Debbie. Or tonight, "Sunday Girl", invoking images of an elegant French lady while 2 crackwhores OD. They also got to use Led Zepplin's "Blackdog" at the start of the Paddy's Day ep I think, wasn't used as a contrast either, and well, in the words of Otto - "Zepplin Rule!!!"

Ive always liked the very diverse range of music used in Love/hate. Part of what makes the show so great in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pollypob

The music but more importantly how it relates to the scenes shown Is amazing

Love the show but I agree with the other posters that have mentioned the use of musical montages at the beginning and end of every episode. It looks pretty stylish but it really diminishes the show when shown on DVDs and abroad where it's replaced by generic songs, really makes it hard to watch. I think it's lazy on behalf of the director or whoever.

Not their fault. These things involve alot of money and red tape. If truth be known they are probably lucky to get use of them at all. Some songs like Handel Sarabande are used on the DVD albeit an ever so slightly slightly different version and Englands motorway is used for when Stumpy was shot on the DVD but not the Luke Kelly version. Where possible they do try to use the same song but unfortunately its not always possible.

Carolan actually writes alot of his scenes around a piece of music he hears first.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Made up Debbie has been killed off. Hated her from word go, the dose. Great portrayal by the young lass who played her. That's another angle which Tommy has no use for now.

Set up nicely for next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

pollypob wrote: »
    The music but more importantly how it relates to the scenes shown Is amazing

Was just talking about that tonight. Its a great touch. Always seems to fit, even
    Peter Sarstedt worked on Sunday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement