Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pollypob

Yep while some programmes have music as simply a background song in case of love/hate what's happening in the scene expressions, dialogue and the song make the scene. Nice to see a bit of thought go into the choice of music

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Malcolm in the middle is another series that has been kept back from dvds as result of the music used in the show

the show is only coming to DVD now and it ended back in 06 i think

TBH the music is a great part of every show when they use it

Id rather keep the TVrips than get the dvds if they have music missing in love hate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Fairly disappointed with this season so far. The acting has dropped a level or two . It seems that they are sticking to a formula with the songs at the start and end of every episode. Sometimes it's brilliantly executed but the impact has been greatly reduced this season cue to over use.
    Maybe they are restricted by funding but six episodes is not enough to develop the characters. Maybe they are holding off for next season and no doubt there will be a cliff hanger in the last episode but they really need to up there game.
    There has been quite a few cop outs this season. Dano getting offed was a serious anit-climax. The Tommy story line is fairly poor as well or maybe it's his acting

Still great production and still a great series...maybe my expectations were raised too much with the previous seasons.

Bowlardo wrote: »
    Fairly disappointed with this season so far. The acting has dropped a level or two . It seems that they are sticking to a formula with the songs at the start and end of every episode. Sometimes it's brilliantly executed but the impact has been greatly reduced this season cue to over use.
    Maybe they are restricted by funding but six episodes is not enough to develop the characters. Maybe they are holding off for next season and no doubt there will be a cliff hanger in the last episode but they really need to up there game.
    There has been quite a few cop outs this season. Dano getting offed was a serious anit-climax. The Tommy story line is fairly poor as well or maybe it's his acting

Still great production and still a great series...maybe my expectations were raised too much with the previous seasons.

I dont think there is any cop outs. They are leaving as much stuff hang in the air as possible. Lizzie still has a big role to play, as does Noelie Hughes, as does the corrupt Garda. Dano's execution was coming for a while and we are wondering if Nidge is a lucky man or is it about to run out and alot of the old factors may still come back into play when we least expect.

Take Season 1 when Darren batters Stumpy at the start of the episode. He disappears until right at the end of the episode when he gets his retaliation in. Same thing last season when Lizzie barely featuring until right when the credits are beginning to roll. Love/hate has that knack of out of sight out of mind. Fran or Nidge wont be safe next week until the credits roll and thats the beauty of the program.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Made up Debbie has been killed off. Hated her from word go, the dose. Great portrayal by the young lass who played her. That's another angle which Tommy has no use for now.

Set up nicely for next week.

Tommy will be the key in the next episode I'm sure along with Fran. Siobhan knows Nidge hit Tommy now and she is sure to keep jogging Tommy's memory. Tommy will begin to recover more and more and surely he will discover Nidge hit him, Debbie is dead and Darren too. A lot of people he cares for dead and his best friend hit him? He will be angry for sure. And then Fran: the traveller who supplied the pipebomb got away from Nidge last night meaning he could well seek revenge. He would be taking a risk in telling Fran but he may feel he has nothing to lose and do so. Also, Fran then could tell Tommy Nidge whacked him to further help Tommy remember.

Like last season's finale (and akin to this season's episode 4), the finale on Sunday will be all about Nidge's survival: possible enemies at present for him to face down are Tommy, Siobhan and Fran (possibly working as a team), the cops (with help from Siobhan and maybe Tommy) and the travellers.

I have a feeling we will see one more major character getting killed (I have a feeling it could be Trish?), one gang member getting prison and others avoiding this. The dentist has a choice: play along with the cops or go along with Nidge but fool the cops into a false sense of security.

I'm sure Nidge and Fran will both survive and I'm sure the basis of season 5 will be a Nidge v Fran war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,502 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I'm glad that the bombing of Fran's house which lead to Linda's death is being revisited because after Darren's death I didn't think anyone would find out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Will they make any use of the fact that Fran still has Git's finger in his back pocket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Elmo is just the most unfortunate craythur lads. Got landed with babysitting Hughie iirc, got caught in that mess with the RA and Darren, now he's likely to get wrongly identified as a rat because of that kunt of a dentist, if he makes it through this season he's the oddest mix of lucky and unlucky of any TV character.

Elmo carried out an unprovoked attack on JP in John Boy's flat during the first series. He's no angel.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 OguchiOneywu

Not their fault. These things involve alot of money and red tape. If truth be known they are probably lucky to get use of them at all. Some songs like Handel Sarabande are used on the DVD albeit an ever so slightly slightly different version and Englands motorway is used for when Stumpy was shot on the DVD but not the Luke Kelly version. Where possible they do try to use the same song but unfortunately its not always possible.

Carolan actually writes alot of his scenes around a piece of music he hears first.

Yeah I know it's not possible because of money but they should take that into consideration when, out of a 45 minute show there's at least 7 minutes dedicated to a montage. It's just a bit ridiculous at this stage every episode you're waiting for the "starting" montage and the "ending" montage. I know people think it's great and they are fantastic songs but it's not exactly a new thing putting 60's songs over long shots of seagulls flying around the Liffey etc. I just wish they'd stop it for once and then when it does happen it has more of an effect.

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    Elmo carried out an unprovoked attack on JP in John Boy's flat during the first series. He's no angel.

He thought JP was taking the piss out of his awful dancing but truth is poor JP was out of his head on cocaine. I can remember looking at that scene nervously at the time and expecting Hughie to hit JP with the dumbbell the way he was looking at him like a man possessed.

Elmo bottled the barman last season 2. An awful gurrier. This came after he sent his own cousin down the river. Worst of all was his double betrayal of Darren though after Darren giving him a chance to live. He told his uncle that Darren done the murder of his cousin and the uncle paid a lad on a bmx to clip Darren which failed. Then he tried it himself and actually made the lad on the bmx look like an excellent marksman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,502 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Not their fault. These things involve alot of money and red tape. If truth be known they are probably lucky to get use of them at all. Some songs like Handel Sarabande are used on the DVD albeit an ever so slightly slightly different version and Englands motorway is used for when Stumpy was shot on the DVD but not the Luke Kelly version. Where possible they do try to use the same song but unfortunately its not always possible.

Carolan actually writes alot of his scenes around a piece of music he hears first.

What was the Luke Kelly song used around John Boy's funeral?

Yeah I know it's not possible because of money but they should take that into consideration when, out of a 45 minute show there's at least 7 minutes dedicated to a montage. It's just a bit ridiculous at this stage every episode you're waiting for the "starting" montage and the "ending" montage. I know people think it's great and they are fantastic songs but it's not exactly a new thing putting 60's songs over long shots of seagulls flying around the Liffey etc. I just wish they'd stop it for once and then when it does happen it has more of an effect.

Is it really 7 minutes long (opening and closing) in total?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Ive always liked the very diverse range of music used in Love/hate. Part of what makes the show so great in my opinion.

No problems with the songs, I actually like that style of music. If I watched a war film and there were bombs falling everywhere and Bill Withers 'Lovely Day' came on I would cringe. In my opinion they're constantly using the 'ironic' placement of a tune as a device and I just feel it's de- sensitising some of the scenes.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What was the Luke Kelly song used around John Boy's funeral?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Yeah I know, and..

Elmo bottled the barman last season 2. An awful gurrier. This came after he sent his own cousin down the river. Worst of all was his double betrayal of Darren though after Darren giving him a chance to live.

...what he said. But just because he's a scumbag doesn't mean he's not very unlucky.

I dont think there is any cop outs. They are leaving as much stuff hang in the air as possible. Lizzie still has a big role to play, as does Noelie Hughes, as does the corrupt Garda. Dano's execution was coming for a while and we are wondering if Nidge is a lucky man or is it about to run out and alot of the old factors may still come back into play when we least expect.

Take Season 1 when Darren batters Stumpy at the start of the episode. He disappears until right at the end of the episode when he gets his retaliation in. Same thing last season when Lizzie barely featuring until right when the credits are beginning to roll. Love/hate has that knack of out of sight out of mind. Fran or Nidge wont be safe next week until the credits roll and thats the beauty of the program.

I think that they are both building up to this season's finale as well as planting stories for next season (as they already know there is a next season). Like John Boy, Dano's exit was sudden and earlier than expected.

With regard to Lizzie: it has not been revealed if the man she whacked died. Lizzie will definitely get prison but how long depends on the seriousness of the man's injuries. Realistically, she would get a long stretch for such a brutal assault so we may not see her again. Maybe the IRA story in general is put to bed?

Noelie Hughes is sure to feature again in episode 6 and/or next season and could play a significant role as a Nidge ally in season 5 should Fran and Nidge fall out.

I think that throughout episodes 1 to 4 this season and the latter episodes of last season too, Nidge was focused on the threat from the IRA. The whole Linda/Fran thing was something off his radar and was not even covered in season 3 at all. Now, with the IRA out of the picture, Nidge is concentrating on the Linda/Fran threat but he may not realise that perhaps Tommy and Siobhan (who he thinks are fooled into believing Nigerians (Nidgerians!) hit him) pose the most significant threat. Also, who knows what the traveller fella can come up with? He was not killed off last night for a reason. Nidge making an enemy of this traveller could mean a whole family of enemies for him to deal with.

So, expect to see Nidge weasel his way out of threats from angry travellers, a vengeful Fran, a determined detective Moynihan and a cheated/betrayed/furious Tommy/Siobhan over the next 50 minutes or so. Like Nidge, Fran also is not safe either: Nidge could become an enemy and there is Noelie Hughes. The traveller could also plan to take out both Fran and Nidge.

Characters like Stumpy were in the past set up well and of course the 2011 Fran/Linda/Nidge/John Boy events were revisited in the second half of season 4. Many casual viewers may even have forgotten all about Linda as the IRA, Tommy and police storylines seemed to cause more threats. Also, this guy hanging around the cop's house: I'm sure there's more in him.

Episode 6 will have to tie up things but also leave material for next season too. One more major character will die in the last episode. Trish, Tommy, Siobhan and Warren are all possibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 KNolan7

Is there definitely someone being killed off this season?

cloudatlas wrote: »
    No problems with the songs, I actually like that style of music. If I watched a war film and there were bombs falling everywhere and Bill Withers 'Lovely Day' came on I would cringe. In my opinion they're constantly using the 'ironic' placement of a tune as a device and I just feel it's de- sensitising some of the scenes.

lol no that just wouldnt work and would be pushing it too far i think. :p

Most of the time the music has been pretty apt. Stumpy and John Boys death had Luke Kelly songs. The closing monologue of the finale of season 2 had a nice Bob Marley tune Redemption song while Mary seen posters of Luke and then the same monologue played Welcome to the jungle in reference to Nidge saying earlier in the episode that he'd request it to be played at his funeral. Very cleverly done considering he was crowned the new gang boss and such an apt tune.

My favourite closing scene though was Dano wringing the necks of the pigeons (not that i approve of that sort of thing in reality) and Brian Eno's big ships playing. First he is sorrowful and cant bring himself to do it to his dads beloved pigeons but by the end of it his face is full of revenge and fury and the picture cuts to a worried looking Nidge in his range rover as if to suggest that Dano was imagining wringing Nidges neck in order to make wringing the pidgeons necks easier to do.

KNolan7 wrote: »

Dano and Debbie are gone. Possibly more to follow Sunday...Stay tuned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 KNolan7

I don't understand why there killing off so many characters are they planning many more seasons? The way there going I can't see it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 OguchiOneywu

Is it really 7 minutes long (opening and closing) in total?

Well that was an estimate for the last episode there was the Nidge riding montage (which was the best one because of the flashbacks), then Debbie and the other girl with a driving scene with a Blondie song, then the song at the end.
    Another poster explained it a lot better than me, the "ironic" use of an upbeat song is an overused trope and Love/Hate has ran it into the ground. I read an interview with the writer Carolan and he said he was hugely influenced by American TV, which is why they're wasting time with overlong montages to look as stylish as the Sopranos, the Wire etc. I just think it's lazy at this stage. But saying all that it's a minor gripe with a great show!

Dano and Debbie for definite are gone already.

Traditionally, the series has killed off a major character or else left us wondering if a major character was dead in the last episode always.
    • In series 1, we saw both main baddie Hughie accidentally shoot himself and die and Darren shot/left for dead (he survived) in the last episode.
    • In series 2, we saw John Boy assassinated in the second last episode and creepy peeping tom Luke shot in the last episode.
    • In series 3, we conclude the season with the killing of two IRA brothers (one overdosed, the other was shot by Darren in a shootout to save Nidge), Nidge facing down threats and doing a deal with Tony, and finally seeing an unsuccessful hit on Darren organised reluctantly by Nidge with Ado and Elmo followed up by a successful one by Lizzie.

With all this in mind, I'm sure next week will be no different. I predict some major character will end up dead but it won't be our beloved duo of Nidge and Fran (we will see them come close to their demise a few times though I'd say).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

next season has to be the last I reckon extend it to 8 episodes aswell

if nidge goes then who else is there 5 seasons is a hell of a run

best closing montage of the series so far for me was the johnny cash-hurt such a great song played beautifully in the show

l
    My favourite closing scene though was Dano wringing the necks of the pigeons (not that i approve of that sort of thing in reality) and Brian Eno's big ships playing. First he is sorrowful and cant bring himself to do it to his dads beloved pigeons but by the end of it his face is full of revenge and fury and the picture cuts to a worried looking Nidge in his range rover as if to suggest that Dano was imagining wringing Nidges neck in order to make wringing the pidgeons necks easier to do.

This is what Dano saw:

700180861.jpg?1355174216

I don't understand why there killing off so many characters are they planning many more seasons? The way there going I can't see it

It is part of what goes on in this world. The risk to life in being a gangster is obviously huge.

I hope there are many more series to follow. There were hints often that the series is bigger than any one character. The two most popular characters have emerged as Nidge and Fran but former popular characters like Darren and John Boy (who were along with Nidge the main characters in series 1-3) were killed off.

Dano was killed off early on maybe to avoid the season finale being too like the season 3 one (although the theme remains the same: Nidge's survival but not from the IRA this time). Episode 4 was very similar to a season 3 one and resolved the Nidge/Dano/IRA storylines at least for now. So, the focus must be on resolving another biggie in the finale (Fran/Linda and Tommy?).

Elmo is often forgotten about with all the focus on Fran, Nidge, the IRA, Tommy, the travellers and so on. He often comes across as a harmless rogue but he has participated in violent scenes like the glassing on the bar man, the attack on JP and of course his betrayal of Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Flying Spaghetti Monster

Thanks a million I was trying to find out the name of this song. Also probably one of my favourite closings to a love/hate episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Elmo is often forgotten about with all the focus on Fran, Nidge, the IRA, Tommy, the travellers and so on. He often comes across as a harmless rogue but he has participated in violent scenes like the glassing on the bar man, the attack on JP and of course his betrayal of Darren.

Aido too, tried to rape Debbie, put Darren up at his house and acted all pally and then turned on a dime and took part in the shooting attempt. It doesn't even seem to phase him.

Thanks a million I was trying to find out the name of this song. Also probably one of my favourite closings to a love/hate episode.

The opening monologue of one of the episodes featured another Brian Eno song 'an ending'

This is this seasons soundtrack
    http://www.rte.ie/drama/tv/featured/lovehate/abouttheshow.html

• Advertisement

Aido too, tried to rape Debbie, put Darren up at his house and acted all pally and then turned on a dime and took part in the shooting attempt. It doesn't even seem to phase him.

As Darren said after the botched attempt at clipping him 'Aido your a fúckin scumbag' :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement