Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

This song was also used i think before Luke beat the Swan to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

As Darren said after the botched attempt at clipping him 'Aido your a fúckin scumbag' :D

Yeah Tommy said the same thing after he caught him with Debbie. If those two upstanding examples of moral probity say that to you you know you're in trouble like :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Aido too, tried to rape Debbie, put Darren up at his house and acted all pally and then turned on a dime and took part in the shooting attempt. It doesn't even seem to phase him.

Ado and Elmo are two of a kind. Often overlooked as 'harmless', both have done nasty things like those mentioned. They are always on side for carrying out the dirty work for Nidge.

The attempted rape of Debbie by Ado reveals Ado's nastier side as much as it does about Debbie. Debbie did not seem to mind this experience as she expects to be treated like this. Ado delivering the 'gear' and that it is high quality is more of a concern to her.

Ado and Elmo are two of a kind. Often overlooked as 'harmless', both have done nasty things like those mentioned. They are always on side for carrying out the dirty work for Nidge.

The attempted rape of Debbie by Ado reveals Ado's nastier side as much as it does about Debbie. Debbie did not seem to mind this experience as she expects to be treated like this. Ado delivering the 'gear' and that it is high quality is more of a concern to her.

In fairness he gave her a lift from the ferry the other day. He couldnt the first day because the 'moh' gets jealous :D

Yeah I think wayne is kind of the next generation of them, doesn't give two shíts about being violent but the difference is he doesn't see why he has to hide it, he didn't even understand Lizzie's reluctance to target Nidge at his mother's funeral. Kids these days, wha?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Flying Spaghetti Monster

The opening monologue of one of the episodes featured another Brian Eno song 'an ending'

This is this seasons soundtrack
    http://www.rte.ie/drama/tv/featured/lovehate/abouttheshow.html
    Yeah I knew this one thanks to it being featured on a cancer research UK advert before :)

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Flying Spaghetti Monster

This song was also used i think before Luke beat the Swan to death.

I thought Hurt by Johnny Cash was used? This was on the TV version,not sure about the dvd. Sounded incredible on the tv version though.

Yeah I think wayne is kind of the next generation of them, doesn't give two shíts about being violent but the difference is he doesn't see why he has to hide it, he didn't even understand Lizzie's reluctance to target Nidge at his mother's funeral. Kids these days, wha?

Wayne is groomed to be the new Darren (hitman) but from an Elmo/Ado type background. In him, Nidge can see someone who will obey orders no matter what and the perfect hitman needed to take out several enemies. He will play a massive role as Nidge's hired gun in coming episodes.

Wayne is groomed to be the new Darren (hitman) but from an Elmo/Ado type background. In him, Nidge can see someone who will obey orders no matter what and the perfect hitman needed to take out several enemies. He will play a massive role as Nidge's hired gun in coming episodes.

I wouldn't trust that little psycho as far as I could throw him though, and that's bearing in mind that that traveller man who's twice my size couldn't even throw him off his back :D:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

dont think i would be into that if love hate goes in that direction

new gangs choping and changing it rarely ever works

• Advertisement

biggebruv wrote: »
    dont think i would be into that if love hate goes in that direction

new gangs choping and changing it rarely ever works

Na I don't really mean in the actual show, just in its world like, it's showing the consequences of what happens when kids are growing up in a world where Elmo and Aido "aren't that bad"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Na I don't really mean in the actual show, just in its world like, it's showing the consequences of what happens when kids are growing up in a world where Elmo and Aido "aren't that bad"

Well in fairness, if I had to choose between that pair or Fran/Nidge... :p

Well in fairness, if I had to choose between that pair or Fran/Nidge... :p

It's like the worst game of f.uck/marry/kill ever!

I thought Hurt by Johnny Cash was used? This was on the TV version,not sure about the dvd. Sounded incredible on the tv version though.

Your dead right. Both Schubert and Hurt were used on the tv version but Schubert was actually used in the previous episode when Darren smashes his head off a mirror in guilt over murdering Stumpy and shows Luke stalking Mary. Hurt was played when Fran shot the young joy rider and Luke battering the Swan

Best line of that episode was from Ciaran the cop. The dentist says to them "I bring in lidacaine which is a perfectly legitimate substance in my line of work" Ciaran replies "You must be pulling the teeth out of elephants!!" :D

I wouldn't trust that little psycho as far as I could throw him though, and that's bearing in mind that that traveller man who's twice my size couldn't even throw him off his back :D:(

And now with the traveller after stabbing Wayne, it is of course personal. The distinction between the job and personal revenge is a constant theme in the series. Wayne's personal grudge against this traveller is almost a mirror image of Fran's grudge against Noelie.

As Dano found out to his cost last week, seeking revenge is not always desirable. Darren had a bittersweet moment when he killed his enemy Stumpy. Darren's other main enemy was Hughie, whose accidental death denied Darren revenge here. The mother of all revenge missions of course will be when Fran and Tommy find out what Nidge did to them/their loved ones.

So far, one character who has never acted out of revenge is Nidge. There has been a lot of scenes showing Nidge's love for his sons and - despite having affairs with Janet and others - he always comes back to Trish (who is the love of his life, the one he will try and protect and the one who can comfort him when he is at his lowest like the time he was forced to take the hit on Darren to try and keep Dano from hitting him, something both Nidge and Tony wanted to avoid). Now, are we leading up to someone (Fran? Tommy? The travellers?) killing one of Nidge's love ones and thus setting off a Nidge out for revenge season next time?

In an interesting aside, I think the traveller could try and eliminate both Nidge and Fran next week. It is perhaps his only option! It would be disasterous for Nidge if he went for Fran first and Fran gets the upper hand and questions him and then tells Fran about giving the pipe bomb to Nidge. Maybe like Nidge forgave Wayne and gave him a job, Fran could dismiss the traveller's mere supply and they could join forces against Nidge?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

And now with the traveller after stabbing Wayne, it is of course personal. The distinction between the job and personal revenge is a constant theme in the series. Wayne's personal grudge against this traveller is almost a mirror image of Fran's grudge against Noelie.

As Dano found out to his cost last week, seeking revenge is not always desirable. Darren had a bittersweet moment when he killed his enemy Stumpy. Darren's other main enemy was Hughie, whose accidental death denied Darren revenge here. The mother of all revenge missions of course will be when Fran and Tommy find out what Nidge did to them/their loved ones.

So far, one character who has never acted out of revenge is Nidge. There has been a lot of scenes showing Nidge's love for his sons and - despite having affairs with Janet and others - he always comes back to Trish (who is the love of his life, the one he will try and protect and the one who can comfort him when he is at his lowest like the time he was forced to take the hit on Darren to try and keep Dano from hitting him, something both Nidge and Tony wanted to avoid). Now, are we leading up to someone (Fran? Tommy? The travellers?) killing one of Nidge's love ones and thus setting off a Nidge out for revenge season next time?

In an interesting aside, I think the traveller could try and eliminate both Nidge and Fran next week. It is perhaps his only option! It would be disasterous for Nidge if he went for Fran first and Fran gets the upper hand and questions him and then tells Fran about giving the pipe bomb to Nidge. Maybe like Nidge forgave Wayne and gave him a job, Fran could dismiss the traveller's mere supply and they could join forces against Nidge?

Wayne stabbed Paddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

It's probably another casualty of the 'too many story lines, not enough episodes' problem but wasn't the Rent Boy Cop issue finished off a bit too sudden? Was he ever heard from again after he was arrested? Surely Nidge would find his snitch disappearing a bit strange.

They closed off that and the debbie story very abruptly with no great pay off. You could argue that they did the same with tommy getting caught so easily and not properly punished by the gang. It really is losing its form and is a victim of its own popularity.

The whole cop thread is also leaving me cold. That ex-cop/rock star guy is pure awful and the young cop looks like someone out of the muppets.

They also seem to have swept the elmo is a rat story to the side as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

They closed off that and the debbie story very abruptly with no great pay off. You could argue that they did the same with tommy getting caught so easily and not properly punished by the gang. It really is losing its form and is a victim of its own popularity.

The whole cop thread is also leaving me cold. That ex-cop/rock star guy is pure awful and the young cop looks like someone out of the muppets.

They also seem to have swept the elmo is a rat story to the side as well.
    Add the lizzy story and dano to that list. So far any of the potential big hitters have fizzled into nothing. My next big prediction is that the dentist will top himself killing off the whole season and copper storyline with a nice satisfying fart.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

The plots suggested here thus far:

Debbie takes over the gang

The dentist becomes a drug dealing hitman as he proved he has the balls for it by slapping the brothel madam

Nidge has AIDS

Holy **** I would shoot myself if some of the plot predictions here made it onto the show :pac: Unbelievable stuff.
    !
    Imhof Tank wrote: »
    The security guy - any chance he might be undercover?

Doesn't seem to come from the flats - how well does Nidge really know him?
    lala88 wrote: »
    The dentist & Siobhan put Nidge away,Fran clips Trish in revenge for Linda & Keith Duffy sings love me for a reason at the funeral?

It says a lot for the shockingly rubbish possible plots people have speculated on favorably here that the last piss take one there is the most realistically true to life of the lot.:confused: Seriously, what kind of ****e are people willing to watch if all the above sounds like a good plot (bar Lala88, that was gas :D )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I must say Stuart Carolan must be delighted with all the expert scriptwriting advice he's getting from this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Sunglasses Ron

This is one wee flaw I'm finding. The ra (RIRA, CIRA, whatever faction Lizzie etc are meant to be in) don't hire random hitmen. In real life Wayne is either a sworn or prospective member of the IRA splinters, not a hired gun like has been shown (if I was hiring a gunman I would go better than a 16 year old who poses for FB photos and YT videos of him shooting cats with my illegally held sub machine gun). My mate knew Alan Ryan to say hello to via relatives, for a well known example- he might have taxed drug profits, but as regards actually taking the stuff, or running with the dealers, he despised the whole game. All real republicans do, if they could make such massive profits from any other racket over night they would shut the drug trade down, but they can't, so they tolerate others dealing and using products, even recreational drugs, that they have total disdain for, if they can tax it. I just don't think Nidge would recruit a kid like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

This is one wee flaw I'm finding. The ra (RIRA, CIRA, whatever faction Lizzie etc are meant to be in) don't hire random hitmen. In real life Wayne is either a sworn or prospective member of the IRA splinters, not a hired gun like has been shown (if I was hiring a gunman I would go better than a 16 year old who poses for FB photos and YT videos of him shooting cats with my illegally held sub machine gun). My mate knew Alan Ryan to say hello to via relatives, for a well known example- he might have taxed drug profits, but as regards actually taking the stuff, or running with the dealers, he despised the whole game. All real republicans do, if they could make such massive profits from any other racket over night they would shut the drug trade down, but they can't, so they tolerate others dealing and using products, even recreational drugs, that they have total disdain for, if they can tax it. I just don't think Nidge would recruit a kid like that.

But the RA didn't hire him. Dano did on the quiet. He couldn't go through his normal channels as word could have gotten back to Tony.

As for Nidge, Wayne is perfect for him. Loyal to money, can handle himself in a situation and is a bit of a psycho. Just keep his blood lust and wallet happy and he's got a top 'soldier' there. Hope they keep him in it for next season. Great potential in the character. Decent actor too.

That last episode was a bit of a let down. Loved the first 4, setting things up nicely for the final 2 episodes but this was a filler episode. That'd be fine in a 13 episode season but not when you only have 6 episodes to tell the story. Now it just feels like everything is being crammed into the finale as if all that matters is a shocking ending... cause you know they're going to go all shock and awe in the finale.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Best line of that episode was from Ciaran the cop. The dentist says to them "I bring in lidacaine which is a perfectly legitimate substance in my line of work" Ciaran replies "You must be pulling the teeth out of elephants!!" :D

Oh yeah, because he brought in loads and elephants are really big. Genius. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Oh yeah, because he brought in loads and elephants are really big. Genius. :pac:

It was a good line, well delivered off the cuff. It certainly stomped all over the dentists plan of playing the innocent card.

... I said stomped cause that's what elephants do. Genuis.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Bacchus wrote: »
    It was a good line, well delivered off the cuff. It certainly stomped all over the dentists plan of playing the innocent card.

... I said stomped cause that's what elephants do. Genuis.

:D

Best line was from Fran "...I don't want to look like a fúckin' bleedin'... knowarramean.'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

From what moynihan said to Andrew looks like we're well past the dummy run and they've already gotten in a few shipments. its established set up now just the gardai don't know where it goes when its in. :) ye think there is any ad libing in the show op is it pure script

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Was just talking about that tonight. Its a great touch. Always seems to fit, even
    Peter Sarstedt worked on Sunday.

Carolan did say in one interview that he thinks of a piece of music and then writes the scene to it, not the other way round, which would explain why the music is so suited.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

:D

Best line was from Fran "...I don't want to look like a fúckin' bleedin'... knowarramean.'

That cracked me up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Maybe there will be no big happenings in the finale next Sunday? Maybe it will carry on like the previous 5 episodes and just end with a

"To Be Continued" on the screen :P :D

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement