Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Kind of feeling a bit better about the ending now that I've winded down from the tension of the impending drugs bust.

Can go a lot of ways now as someone said..will be an interesting one..I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rebus2013

Disapponting end...coming to realisation that much of praise and hype about L/H is with emerald tinted glasses.
    Returned to boxset of breaking bad series 4 after L/H showing. Simply no comparison. L/H is to be admired as its irish and rte produced but in world wide scheme of things, it's 2nd rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

padma wrote: »
    The show has a few ways to go. What will happen though is nidge will more than likely meet a cruel ending, or the hero Irish justice system will bring him down, either way he's the scumbag who'll get his comeuppance. Rte have a choice to either glorify him as it has done or else show the good guys always win etc.

Patrick could come back with a whole load of family members who wouldn't blink an eye at taking out all nidges crew.

Tommy will work at getting back in to nidges gang in a meaningful way and siobhan will help to bring nidge down.

Or a whole load of new kids can come on the block and make a tit for tat gang war for a season to drag it to the next season.

RTE won't have a choice though, Stuart Carolan will have total control.

Do you think RTE came up with the idea of Tommy jerking off earlier in the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭stretchdoe

Lmao, I can see the country boys getting mad over this. That being said though, I come from a farming background in the hills where there isn't any 02 coverage. I agree that there are a large portion of culchies unable to appreciate the time and effort pumped into season 4, the same goes for citygoers. The problem is the fanbase overall doesn't go beneath the surface and are constantly on the horn for bang bang murders and violence. When they see a drought of this, they bombard the show with insults, not appreciating the quality acting and thought. Shame. Also LMAO at the butthurt people labelling us all automatically as Dubs.

Nah, i'd imagine country folks can deal with 'subtle'; would just prefer it was done well.

For instance, Glenroe and Ear to the Ground feature very few murders and, as has been pointed out, are beloved of the culchies.

I wouldn't be overly critical of this season of Love/Hate, by the way, but i don't think it was 'great' by any stretch of the imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Alanhooly

This show needs a rival gang. The tit for tat between rival gangs that is going on in real life wasn't portrayed at all in this series.

Hopefully Paddy returns with a few of his cousins!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

probably going to sound stupid but why exactly did nidge piss on the milk to get thrown in a cell?
    I'm a bit disappointed with the ending of this series, I know it's probably a build up of an epic fifth series but fcuk it! I wanted more killing!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Drunk may be a major understatement !

Watch it tomorrow on rte player.

Dont have a computer sorry

A simpler yay or Nay ?

I'm goin to watch the full episode on Sat nite.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Rebus2013 wrote: »
    Disapponting end...coming to realisation that much of praise and hype about L/H is with emerald tinted glasses.
    Returned to boxset of breaking bad series 4 after L/H showing. Simply no comparison. L/H is to be admired as its irish and rte produced but in world wide scheme of things, it's 2nd rate.

Of course it's below BB it has nowhere near it's budget ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tricolorbob1987

I'm missing the whole serious gang thing johnboy had going on, meetings and partys in his penthouse etc. Then again the way it's run now with Nidge probably does reflect a more realistic Dublin crime scene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Uaru

They need to double the length of the series. Everything is far too rushed and there's no time to develop any new characters or plots properly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

I'm missing the whole serious gang thing johnboy had going on, meetings and partys in his penthouse etc. Then again the way it's run now with Nidge probably does reflect a more realistic Dublin crime scene.

Nidge had Warrens birthday party in his house in season 1, there was a bit of confusion with the clown he hired to perform regarding payment so I think that turned Nidge off the whole party scene to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭TheSetMiner

Dont have a computer sorry

A simpler yay or Nay ?

I'm goin to watch the full episode on Sat nite.
    Thanks

yay

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Then again the way it's run now with Nidge probably does reflect a more realistic Dublin crime scene.

What, four lads run the roost in Dublin?

They clearly don't know where to go after removing Darren from the show, which truth be told was pretty much the whole point of the show. This season felt like a cheap attempt at copying The Wire or something, it was pathetic.

It very much seems apparent to me that RTE knocked on the door with a wad of cash, and the show creators said "sure we can make something". Getting the Dentist in early, and showing a growing empire of actual power, would have been a much better filler season, to then introduce the Guardaí in a following season based on the fact they are a rising gang with massive influence.

Why in gods name would a task force be created to deal with literally four lads.......

Of course we assume that the manpower in the gang and the reach is bigger then we ever see, but if they wanted to do a filler season for a few bob, easily could have done a rise to then setup the fall, that we know is coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭alias06

I suppose its a matter of taste. But I actually think Love/Hate is better than breaking bad. There is too much crappy American sentimental bull**** in breaking bad whereas Love/Hate is gritty and real.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

why did nidge piss on the milk?? was it to get arrested on purpose or just to piss them off??

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭wesleysniper38

TBP wrote: »
    I think the clown that said there above that Carolan was wasted on us culchies and you banging on about the quality acting and thought involved in the show are after getting sucked into all the hype. It's a good drama but no where near as good as some of ye are making it out to be. Let me know when Carolan lands a big job and when any of these mighty actors go onto something bigger than Corrie.

Well said. If this was a US or UK drama then damn all would be watching it. Like Glenroe in the 80's, ironically, it became compulsive viewing because
    1. It's Irish
    2. Theres feck all else on at this time on a Sunday night
    3. We've all got caught up in the hype created by RTE and the rest of the media.
    Of course I watched it all like everyone else but, having said that, if the evenings were long and there were other things to do then I wouldn't be able to tell you who did what; and I wouldn't give a toss either..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,899 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

I've been watching this and enjoying a long time - anybody who says that was good , is sadly suffering from rose tinted glasses. It was ****.
    The idea of ending with a song has caught up with it now - to the almost ridiculous level where it is like a piece of meaningful art. If Duffy sang "Love Me For A Reason" at the end it could show He Loved Someone For a Reason.

I loved, Love/Hate - I was letting go so many things because, it was sort of making up for previous poor episodes - but to end on that **** was a final blow. I'd say they drove inside a car for 70 % of the episode, Fran and Nidge walking down the road as all pals at the end was a joke. Suitcase floating (joke),

The whole series was about nidge been taken out - but every opportunity for him to be killed was prevented by ridiculously unrealism, when the Dublin Ra decide to kill you , you are dead.

The timing of Tommy fit (a joke).

Anyway - it is a TV show and you have to let flaws go , but when you have such a poor ending to the series - you start being less forgiving.

Loved/Hated.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Flying Spaghetti Monster

One episode of Breaking Bad probably matches the entire budget for a series of Love/Hate. Comparing them is folly. :rolleyes:

Blay wrote: »
    Of course it's below BB it has nowhere near it's budget ffs.

I meant in terms of a script/plot development. If Carolan is as good as rte and media luvies claim, L/H series 4 would have been better.

L/H bring in dentist ...promising... He is forced in episode to help nidge/next one turned by cops/next one dead.

Keith Duffy character wtf!!!

Huge amount of time wasted with characters driving around various parts of Dublin...needless filler.

Alanhooly wrote: »
    This show needs a rival gang. The tit for tat between rival gangs that is going on in real life wasn't portrayed at all in this series.

Hopefully Paddy returns with a few of his cousins!

I think this could be a real possibility. I doubt we have seen the last of him. I suspect he is tough as nails underneath it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

Not sure if it's been mentioned already but anyone who hasn't yet watched tonight's episode don't go near the Irish Times website, they basically give part of the episode away in a headline about the show. No spoiler alerts or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

My theory is the "New Coca Cola" theory.

Series 4 wasn't the best. It's akin to New Coca Cola that was released a few years ago. New Coke was shíte compared to what went before and sales plummeted.

Coca Cola Company then re-released Coca Cola as "Coke Classic" and made a killing.

Series 5 will be akin to Classic Coca Cola and will be better. Even if it does not scale the heights of Series 3, it will blow 4 out of the water.

Ingenious by Carolan and the writers. Guaranteed, Series 5 will be breakneck with things happening all over the gaf and everything. Coca Cola Classic... Series 5. Hell, yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

yay

TBF Thanks for the reply.

If Aido isn't an Informer why did he say that he's glad he's out of it. I missed a full half / hour of the show so I'm in the dark.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

Tmeos wrote: »
    The other thing that has been puzzling me is why was Robert Sheehan filming in Dublin for this season? There was no flashbacks or dream sequences other than from previous seasons. They must have cut it.
    Wasn't there a shot of him on a table in the morgue in the first episode

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

alias06 wrote: »
    I suppose its a matter of taste. But I actually think Love/Hate is better than breaking bad. There is too much crappy American sentimental bull**** in breaking bad whereas Love/Hate is gritty and real.

Breaking Bad had no "crappy American sentimental bull****", anything but..

The West Wing, on the other hand, had heaps of it.

Breaking Bad was never meant to be "gritty and real", more Cohen brothers-esque if anything. The Wire was always meant to be gritty and real.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 yowboC

Anyone else thinking they played the Tommy looking straight up at the surveillance room window outside the dentist warehouse a little too much?

It appeared to me that moments of clarity and cognisance in his mind led to the bleeding episodes. He'd just claimed that Nidge was the cause of Darren's death, then turns around and smokes a fag looking at the Gards in the window??

I'm waiting for Nidges downfall, as is everyone else & I think rte and the writers will milk that till the cows come home.

His paranoia
    Fran
    Cops
    Pipe bomb guy in England
    Return of Tommy
    Rival unknown yet

Any of them could be the catalyst. Overall a loose series and I thought bloated on production and thin on tight writing. 12 months ago I couldn't wait to see what happened, tonight I'm nonplussed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

TheDoc wrote: »
    Absolutely atrocious season, clearly the writers have lost all sense of purpose after season 3, and have no idea where to go. Really, really poorly written and I feel the extra cash thrown at the show did more harm then good.

Nidge is paranoid, we get it. The pipe bombers story arc was ENTIRELY pointless now. While I had thought Fran had secured some pipe bombs to do Nidge ( Close to the end "What goes around comes around Nidgey" set alarm bells off) instead it was an episode directed completely at highlighting Nidges paranoia, already obviously defined in not just this season already, but last season aswell.

The Dentist character could have been interesting. An educated man to assist in the financials could have opened some interesting exploits but instead we have him offering his services, in the next episode getting flipped by the cops and in the following episode killed. Nothing was allowed develop, just rushed and trying to pack in filler.

To be honest I could go on all night, but clearly a situation where the creators got offered more cash and a fat budget and went onto write a pretty dreary filler season, which contained a ridiculous amount of Dublin scenery and shots to mask up the lack of content, and introducing new high salary cast members who were barely utilised.

This show will have to do alot to get me back into watching it, and if I'm honest appears alot of people going by tonights reaction. Love Hate was never a brilliant show,it was getting praise because it was a decent show coming from an Irish broadcaster. It lived on a knife edge and the minute it dipped, would kill it.

Long way back for them now. Makes me angry, just in that it is such a blatant case of presenting rubbish for the cash
    TheDoc wrote: »
    What, four lads run the roost in Dublin?

They clearly don't know where to go after removing Darren from the show, which truth be told was pretty much the whole point of the show. This season felt like a cheap attempt at copying The Wire or something, it was pathetic.

It very much seems apparent to me that RTE knocked on the door with a wad of cash, and the show creators said "sure we can make something". Getting the Dentist in early, and showing a growing empire of actual power, would have been a much better filler season, to then introduce the Guardaí in a following season based on the fact they are a rising gang with massive influence.

Why in gods name would a task force be created to deal with literally four lads.......

Of course we assume that the manpower in the gang and the reach is bigger then we ever see, but if they wanted to do a filler season for a few bob, easily could have done a rise to then setup the fall, that we know is coming.

Well said and fairly critiqued.
    I said after episode 3 (I think it was) that we would get nothing more than fillers and I'm afraid that's all we got and probably the silliest conclusion to a series in a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I meant in terms of a script/plot development. If Carolan is as good as rte and media luvies claim, L/H series 4 would have been better.

L/H bring in dentist ...promising... He is forced in episode to help nidge/next one turned by cops/next one dead.

Keith Duffy character wtf!!!

Huge amount of time wasted with characters driving around various parts of Dublin...needless filler.

Dentist situation really irks me. Clear case of just really having no vision and rushing something stupidly. Massive opportunity missed with a really excellent actor.

Keith Duffy, I thought that was obvious. Big name to splash the cash on, absolutely nothing else.

I nearly get the feeling part of the budget increase had a stipulation that Dublin had to get 60% airtime every episode. It just shows how wayward the writing was and the vision. So much of this season was driving around Dublin pointlessly, or just shots of Dublin in general.

When you consider there was a significant budget increase this season, you have to wonder where the dosh went : /

I've been watching this and enjoying a long time - anybody who says that was good , is sadly suffering from rose tinted glasses. It was ****.
    The idea of ending with a song has caught up with it now - to the almost ridiculous level where it is like a piece of meaningful art. If Duffy sang "Love Me For A Reason" at the end it could show He Loved Someone For a Reason.

I loved, Love/Hate - I was letting go so many things because, it was sort of making up for previous poor episodes - but to end on that **** was a final blow. I'd say they drove inside a car for 70 % of the episode, Fran and Nidge walking down the road as all pals at the end was a joke. Suitcase floating (joke),

The whole series was about nidge been taken out - but every opportunity for him to be killed was prevented by ridiculously unrealism, when the Dublin Ra decide to kill you , you are dead.

The timing of Tommy fit (a joke).

Anyway - it is a TV show and you have to let flaws go , but when you have such a poor ending to the series - you start being less forgiving.

Loved/Hated.

Shakespeare's plots were notoriously poor as well and full of holes. The plot is not what makes great drama. Its the emotions that are brought up by the drama that unfolds between the characters. You get inside their skin and feel what they are feeling - the tension, the fear, the love, the sadness. I thought it was great.

• Advertisement

alias06 wrote: »

I'm coming to think that alot of people enjoy the L/H titilation of the insight into local violence and sub culture. They then ignore the fact that plot and content wise, it's pretty light weight.

Keith Duffy character?
    Dentist under used
    Nudges wife only appears in bed at end of day
    Lizzie-just disappeared off to jail
    IRa gone AWOL
    No cops following nidges right hand man fran so he can saunter around and
    knock off the dentist
    Etc etc

L/H now gone all fur no knickers ....Sindo has characters dolled up each week "as you've never seen them before".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement