Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 joeyla

Most used word in finale, "Zero", by cops on their walkies.... and that's the rating for this episode....whole series 4 was big let down...

Maybe series 5 will start with Darren stepping out of the shower and we'll realise series 4 was all a bad dream ???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

TheDoc wrote: »
    Keith Duffy, I thought that was obvious. Big name to splash the cash on, absolutely nothing else.
    /

In fairness I doubt Keith Duffy was getting a fortune for it. Carolan said he auditioned for the part like anyone else and got it. If it was an unknown actor nobody would have batted an eyelid at his performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,027 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I've been watching this and enjoying a long time - anybody who says that was good , is sadly suffering from rose tinted glasses. It was ****.
    The idea of ending with a song has caught up with it now - to the almost ridiculous level where it is like a piece of meaningful art. If Duffy sang "Love Me For A Reason" at the end it could show He Loved Someone For a Reason.

I loved, Love/Hate - I was letting go so many things because, it was sort of making up for previous poor episodes - but to end on that **** was a final blow. I'd say they drove inside a car for 70 % of the episode, Fran and Nidge walking down the road as all pals at the end was a joke. Suitcase floating (joke),

The whole series was about nidge been taken out - but every opportunity for him to be killed was prevented by ridiculously unrealism, when the Dublin Ra decide to kill you , you are dead.

The timing of Tommy fit (a joke).

Anyway - it is a TV show and you have to let flaws go , but when you have such a poor ending to the series - you start being less forgiving.

Loved/Hated.

The RA weren't after nidge

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭alias06

There is a point here about the need for rival gangs. The complete absence of rival gangs is unrealistic at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,899 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Take your pick - Dublin Dissidents - it was the Alan Ryan case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Tmeos

TBF Thanks for the reply.

If Aido isn't an Informer why did he say that he's glad he's out of it. I missed a full half / hour of the show so I'm in the dark.

Thanks.

Seriously, just watch it tomorrow

True it was just Dano and Lizzie. Dano was actually warned against doing anything to Nidge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭Tmeos

Red21 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a shot of him on a table in the morgue in the first episode

Oh I forgot about that, jesus all those rumours for a second or two on the mortuary table!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Well said and fairly critiqued.
    I said after episode 3 (I think it was) that we would get nothing more than fillers and I'm afraid that's all we got and probably the silliest conclusion to a series in a long time.

"What goes around comes around Nidgey"

That one line, opened my eyes. It was all obvious now, the seasons point became clear. The pipebomber....Fran being more wild. It all made sense to me.

I could see it clear as day. Fran randomly mentioned his wife in the last few episodes. Out of the blue. Maybe he has always had a sneaky suspicion. Nidge never brought Fran into the game,. he was already there. I got it, Fran knew that probably the man to talk to about pipebombs, was Mr. Pipebomb.

As I thought back through the season, Fran being eager to be the main man for Nidge, being more of a loose cannon. It was brilliant, he knew it was Nidge, and he was going to get revenge, but first he wanted to land a big score. The final episode was playing into it lovely, and I thought I'd feel the fool for doubting the entire season, and the end would justify the means.

We are left on a cliffhanger, with Nidges house bombed. The season was setup with Nidges Paranoia, his references to "feeling" something watching him. The setup of the Guards got you safe in the comfort that it was them, but little did we know it was Fran watching and waiting all along.

But no, instead we get Nidge having a quickie, pissing on some milk, and ripping his tits off.......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

TBF Thanks for the reply.

If Aido isn't an Informer why did he say that he's glad he's out of it. I missed a full half / hour of the show so I'm in the dark.

Thanks.

Go to bed Mike.

• Advertisement

alias06 wrote: »
    Shakespeare's plots were notoriously poor as well and full of holes. The plot is not what makes great drama. Its the emotions that are brought up by the drama that unfolds between the characters. You get inside their skin and feel what they are feeling - the tension, the fear, the love, the sadness. I thought it was great.

Not everybody can do that - leave the brain at home. You can't leave the brain at home is it is so unrealistic - made worse by Boyzone on set for no reason. Gave nothing to the story.

It was poor , on every level.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

joeyla wrote: »
    Most used word in finale, "Zero", by cops on their walkies.... and that's the rating for this episode....whole series 4 was big let down...

Maybe series 5 will start with Darren stepping out of the shower and we'll realise series 4 was all a bad dream ???

Tbf they've already done that with Tommy this season. It was Like a Hollyoake's plot .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Why are we always going with the excuse RTE doesn't have the budget to make a longer series?

Denmark made one of the best TV series' of the decade with The Killing (Forbrydelsen). The first season was 20 episodes of poor quality TV. It has even been remade for the lazy US audience, so there's no substitles.

Denmark has roughly the same population as Eire.

6 episodes is a joke. It's about time we stood up to the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 pollypob

Wasn't Tommy in a coma already when nidge set up the failed hit On Darren! So he can't be rememberin. That? Must have been told and like he said I heard you did. And since he also couldnt have been told whil. He was In a coma ( unless he is remembering people talking at his bedside) he must have heard afterwards which is not really his memory coming back. Having said all that I miss Tommy and hope he is regaining some part of the old him

Denmark made one of the best TV series' of the decade with The Killing (Forbrydelsen). The first season was 20 episodes of poor quality TV.

Sure RTE's Fair City manages to beat that every single year.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 86,528 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I was thinking Fran would plant the suitcase with the dead dentist in Nidge's jeep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

instead we get Nidge having a quickie,

That scene and motivation was ripped from Breaking Bad too I thought.

Why are we always going with the excuse RTE doesn't have the budget to make a longer series?

Denmark made one of the best TV series' of the decade with The Killing (Forbrydelsen). The first season was 20 episodes of poor quality TV. It has even been remade for the lazy US audience, so there's no substitles.

If you remove last weeks episode which was completely pointless, and remove the stupidly filler shots of Dublin, they would have barely scraped 4 episodes out of this season.

Serious case of back to the drawing board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭TBP

Aye and stop creaming our boxers about a bunch or average enough actors playing out events that were written about on the Sunday World over the last 10 years or so.

This was a factor - I agree.

Was a great chance to run with how a young lad is groomed into gang - they bloody kill him.

Maybe - the new young lad is another chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Red21

This show will have to do alot to get me back into watching it, and if I'm honest appears alot of people going by tonights reaction. Love Hate was never a brilliant show,it was getting praise because it was a decent show coming from an Irish broadcaster. It lived on a knife edge and the minute it dipped, would kill it.
    :confused: are you going to be watching or not?
    And if not, what you reckon you'll be watching instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Now i do really think you hit the nail on the head when you say this. There is as you correctly alluded to, people who are just not on the same intellectual plane as others in watching this show. Probably the majority of viewers to be honest

That is some load of tripe. So people don't agree with you therefore they don't understand the show.

If you thought this series was high quality it speaks volumes for your own intellect to be honest

Room to Improve is on at the same time next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

TBP wrote: »
    Aye and stop creaming our boxers about a bunch or average enough actors playing out events that were written about on the Sunday World over the last 10 years or so.

In fairness Peter Coonan and Tom Vaughan-Lawlor are superb.

The girl that played Lizze was also excellent, as was the young Barry Keoghan. As were others.

The best acting I've even seen on the Irish screen, big or small.

Will need to be a pretty serious preview to get me back interested, in terms of getting a feel for what's coming next season.

In regards to what else will I watch? There is dozens of high quality shows on at present, or have finished I've yet to see. I'm not strapped and bound to watch whatever RTé can produce, so I'm not sure about the question. At any given month I've probably accross 5-6 different shows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Room to Improve is on at the same time next week.

They're doing up Patricks's house. :pac:

I haven't seen people this angry since Bertie Ahern last walked into a pub.

By the way Janet dumped nidge in the soundest manner! Janet's sound!

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭stretchdoe

alias06 wrote: »
    Shakespeare's plots were notoriously poor as well and full of holes. The plot is not what makes great drama. Its the emotions that are brought up by the drama that unfolds between the characters. You get inside their skin and feel what they are feeling - the tension, the fear, the love, the sadness. I thought it was great.

But Shakespeare's high-points are dizzyingly high, so any flaws are easily over-looked.

Not criticising Love/Hate but not an apt comparison.

• Advertisement

Did happyman enjoy it?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement