Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 johnsuperf

for those of you that have not seen it you should watch ;underbelly; its about true crime in australia it would leave love hate in the halfpenny place. you can watch it on watchseries.com. as you have to wait next year for love hate again.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

why did the dentist not just rip the bag?

Because the writers did not want him to live

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

sorry for errors on crap phone lol

was not really impressed by the finale either after a season like that it needed a "aha" or :eek:moment for next series i never really got that

for example breaking bads season 5a was a slow builder but it ended in the best possible way i could imagine for a show leading into its final series we all know what scene im talking about i wont say because of spoilers obviously lol

with love hate they had all there balls in the air and refused to drop any of them instead holding them all over for season 5

they really should have dropped something memorable to lead us into the next hopfully final series and it does not have to be a bloody death either for everybody who says people just want bloodnguts lol

the whole season felt stalled like they really did not wanna rock the boat at all but ride the wave

also for a show that only has 6 episodes in its series to have opening and ending music montages in every episode is abit too annoying when they have alot of ground to cover

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Pretzill

why did the dentist not just rip the bag?

To get to the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

It feels like there should have been 10 episodes in the season to properly play out all the half rushed storylines...
    Wasn't an awful series just seemed a bit dis-jointed and and confused as to where it wanted to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

This was my first season of Love/Hate and I absolutely loved it, but I have to be honest, I thought episodes 1-3 were utterly epic and then after that it declined a bit. As Biggebrv said above, they built up a lot of tension in the first part of the series, but then for whatever reason (holding out for Season 5?) they decided to abandon them and introduce a bunch of new storylines instead, never really resolving the first half's open ended questions.

The only storyline which got any sort of definitive wrapping up was the Lizzie/Wayne hit on Nidge. I suppose you could say the dentist storyline was also wrapped up but not really, seeing as we never find out what happens when he turns up missing or where the building Fran vs Nidge pressue will lead.

tl;dr version: Blown away by the season as a whole, but seriously underwhelmed by its finale and also perhaps episode 5.

Anyone agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

johnsuperf wrote: »
    for those of you that have not seen it you should watch ;underbelly; its about true crime in australia it would leave love hate in the halfpenny place. you can watch it on watchseries.com. as you have to wait next year for love hate again.

Agreed, half way trough it on netflix now. Brilliant show, kinda like love/hate but real!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

The actor who plays him was on The Saturday Night Show last night and he sure as hell didn't look 5 foot 8.
    I can't believe I'm having this silly conversation with you. The fact remains that unless he was a dwarf, he would not have fitted in that suitcase. End of story.

jeebus man let it go, please, who really cares what height he is, talk about nit picking:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

dave1982 wrote: »
    He has a point about Frans Teeth

At the start of the episode it showed him putting them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,545 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Missed tonights episode, did Tommy die?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Just didn't really feel the tension in that episode last night. The way the media had been going on I was expecting something big to happen, and then nothing really did; the bust failed and everyone got off scott free again. They're setting it up for a great next season, but that's not exactly what we were looking for. I get the feeling that Carolan wrote something really big (like the death of Fran or Nidge), but RTE convinced him to hold that for next season so they could keep the ratings. There wasn't really the same climax we'd been used to. S1 ended with Darren being shot. The end of S2 saw the death of John Boy and Luke. S3, Darren. This time we get Wayne and the dentist. Two pretty minor characters overall, and unlike Luke, for example, you didn't feel any pity for them. I just get the feeling that this episode and episode 4 (with Dano being shot) should have been swopped. Same story development, but much better closure at the end of a series.

I was a bit confused by the ending alright, I thought in the context of the "back to zero" comment that maybe Nidge was trying to recapture his days as a petty thug. But thinking back on the rest of the episode, Nidge was "stressed" - he said it to Janet, his discussion with Tommy just before the hit, the staring contest with the detective and his tender sex with Trish. In fact they've been setting up the fragility of Nidge's emotional state all season; his Ma's funeral, etc. I think the ending was showing us that after coming so close to being busted, he finally cracked and lost his cool calm exterior, if even only just for a few hours. Still seemed a bit random though....

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Faz6r

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

no he's on life support after having a haemorrage of some kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Ravanelli

alias06 wrote: »
    But I actually think Love/Hate is better than breaking bad

:eek:

I would imagine your opinion is very much in the minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Fair deuce. Your in a minority of people that actually seem to think about the events in the show each week before giving your opinion.

Your posts are actually ridiculous at this stage, continually brow beating anybody that doesn't bow down and proclaim the show to be the greatest thing ever with no plot holes at all and everything has been thought out (when it clearly hasn't)

Take your own advice and use the brain sometimes, it is ok to critique a show you know, you don't have to defend it like its one of your kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭touts

They should have finished the episode with the head Guard agonising over the decision to go or not and then fade out with Tommy spitting up blood on the pallet. Up to that point it was a reasonably good episode (other than the utterly pointless scene with that lad from Boyzone in the gym). After that point it felt like the first few minutes of season 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Id agree with Seamus above. I think that the ending was rewritten to accommodate another season. The characters are too weak now to carry on as a big operation. Nidge is deluded and paranoid and he hadn't a clue that the cops were on to him. He doesn't inspire you with confidence and he's surrounded himself with petty car thieves in Aido and Elmo.

Nidge's operation as a whole was weakened in this season. For it to continue Tommy will have to come back as a strong character and at the very least we'll need to see some new faces to create a new dynamic. It just doesn't sit well with me how it ended. I thought it was fairly poor and I think the show was coming to the end of its life cycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

One of the biggest selling points of love hate is its realism and I was dreading this last episode in the series cause I thought they might try and squeeze too much into it.

It had it's problems but it served as a great set up to the next series. The show needs to be judged from start to finish, and we're not at the finish line yet.

All the people that say that series 4 was **** will hopefully go back to watching programmes like revenge and the following now because intelligent drama is clearly beyond them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

One of the biggest selling points of love hate is its realism and I was dreading this last episode in the series cause I thought they might try and squeeze too much into it.

It had it's problems but it served as a great set up to the next series. The show needs to be judged from start to finish, and we're not at the finish line yet.

All the people that say that series 4 was **** will hopefully go back to watching programmes like revenge and the following now because intelligent drama is clearly beyond them.

Have you actually read that last part of your post back to yourself?

Do you realise how much of a knob you sound like?

If you don't like Love/Hate you are stupid? ****ing ridiculous. (this comes from a fan of the show ffs)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

Felt it was a good enough ending to the season. The music montages are getting a bit much though, the first 3 minutes of the episode were just drive by shots of the city, again. It has been the weakest season so far, but that doesn't mean it still wasn't very good, it was always going to be hard to top the second and third season.

It really does need more episodes for the final season, the first season only had 4 episodes so they bumped it up to 6. Surely they could add another 2 to the final season. Lots of plots fizzled away into nothing really because they didnt have enough time to cover everything!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

Regarding the 'irrelevance' of the gym, Moynihan will be looking for another way into the gang, he suspects that Nidge has an interest there so it be an avenue for an undercover operation. I don't know if Obama has been seen by the gang yet, if not they could use him, and give the ladies a bit of fan service too.

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭darkestlord

Thats what puzzles me. I heard love/hate is being brought over to oz. It worked in Ireland cus we had nothing like it before but Australia has. Underbelly was brilliant. Makes L/H looks a bit silly tbh. I think this series lacked the quality past series has shown. I think the iRA storyline messed them up. They didn't know where to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I thought the season got off to a great start, moving nicely along, a new angle with the cops and some good humour.

But it went down hill as each episode went on. I'm disappointed with the season as a whole. I felt some of the story lines were very sloppy and not thought out very well (see below).

All in all, this season felt like a segway into a final season, setting up the fifth and final season.

In the end, there were down right ridiculous things going on:

1. Lizzie batters someone with a crowbar and sits down to wait for the cops??? Yeah, cos IRA assassins always do that.

2. Nidge takes the yunfella under his wing after he was in his house to kill him because he keeps his mouth shut in front of the cops???

3. The pipe bomb fella doesn't tell Fran ASAP about Nidge buying the bomb the minute he see's him? Ah yeah, sure Nidge will understand.

4. Fran being cut out of the action in the last episode??? I know Nidge is the main man but hang on a sec, Fran is a lunatic and he's just gonna be "grand" with that?

5. Fran's teeth are fixed in one scene in the last episode, then its gone again, then its fixed ??? Pedantic Pat here...

6. What the hell was the last scene in the police cell about???

7. With that much heat going on, would you really kill the dentist and put him into a suitcase and just walk out of his house???

8. Tommy's head just happens to explode right at the perfect time for the cops to mess up the sting and leave Nidge free as a bird???

As I said, some of these were very sloppy. I had a hunch that Nidge and Fran were going to pull off the import of the drugs by fooling the cops to follow the shipment to the dentist but all the time the plan was for Aido's bird to bring back the Lido on the ferry. I had visions of Nidge and Fran laughing their boll0xes off when they realised they pulled it off. Not to be...

Good show but no where near as good as the media hype puts it. The writers need to go back to the drawing board and start coming up with some fresh ideas and story arc's with definitive endings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭slingerz

think going down the gardai route a bit too much really. think that really slowed the series down and in general we all want the baddies to win out.

think it needs a new strong charachter as at the moment only Nidge and Fran create any type of buzz. the gardai have it way to easy and it would be better if they're efforts were being frustrated.

in the first few series it had the likes of stumpy, john boy, hughie etc in it to give it some variation and allow it to create some decent interaction and storylines between the groups.

dont think Elmo/Aido have the same strength as the characters that have been written out. some new blood is badly needed in the show and not from an Gardai angle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I hope it's better than the pilot episode. When I watched that I thought it was a parody show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Every week. Guarantee these holes arent being picked in the US show threads. Just your typical begrudging miserable Irish b@stards. The ugly side of this country

Possibly because the best US shows don't have them to the extent this one does?
    lufties wrote: »
    no he's on life support after having a haemorrage of some kind.

A bit like the L/H franchise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

How the hell did that dentist fit into that suitcase? That's what I want to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Keyzer wrote: »

5. Fran's teeth are fixed in one scene in the last episode, then its gone again, then its fixed ??? Pedantic Pat here...

Ha, I'm glad someone else noticed that!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Ian Whelan wrote: »
    How the hell did that dentist fit into that suitcase? That's what I want to know.

Hasn't that happened in real life anyways....bodies being found squeezed into cases and dumped?

Probably have to break a few bones to do it, since it doesn't look like Fran cut him up anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Ian Whelan wrote: »

You could ask these lads - http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/girlfriend-jailed-for-body-in-suitcase-killing-role-26041938.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement