Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Mod Note

I've deleted the City V's Country posts from the thread.

If this off topic discussion resumes, expect bans.

Also, if you have an issue with any post, please report it.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Keyzer wrote: »
    1. Lizzie batters someone with a crowbar and sits down to wait for the cops??? Yeah, cos IRA assassins always do that.
    She wasn't exactly an "IRA assassin", just a girl with a grudge and a good shot, hired on the QT by Dano. I think others are right here and she did that because she knew it was game over for her after missing Nidge and she'd only be safe in prison.
    Nidge takes the yunfella under his wing after he was in his house to kill him because he keeps his mouth shut in front of the cops???
    He reckoned Wayne was pretty badass and wouldn't crack under pressure. Maybe he also planned that he could use the youngfella for hit on the bombmaker and then take him out. As a newcomer and a nobody it would be nice and clean with little risk of him turning.
    The pipe bomb fella doesn't tell Fran ASAP about Nidge buying the bomb the minute he see's him? Ah yeah, sure Nidge will understand.
    Why would he? As he said, his business is built on discretion. It's not in his interests to get involved in the whys and wheres of his buyers.
    4. Fran being cut out of the action in the last episode??? I know Nidge is the main man but hang on a sec, Fran is a lunatic and he's just gonna be "grand" with that?
    He probably wanted to leave Fran out of it because Fran's a bit mental but also because he planned on bringing in Tommy to be the patsy. Fran wouldn't go for that and could fnck the whole thing up. I'm not sure though, it's one of the things in that episode that they seemed to slot in with no real explanation.
    5. Fran's teeth are fixed in one scene in the last episode, then its gone again, then its fixed ??? Pedantic Pat here...
    Why the hell are people having so much difficulty about this? They clearly showed him popping the teeth in and out at the start.
    7. With that much heat going on, would you really kill the dentist and put him into a suitcase and just walk out of his house???
    The guy is compromised and ratting them out to the cops. Why would they not kill him? If they just left him there, then the discovery of his body would land Fran in it. But if he just disappeared, the plan goes ahead, Nidge gets caught and Fran has a laugh.
    8. Tommy's head just happens to explode right at the perfect time for the cops to mess up the sting and leave Nidge free as a bird???
    Plot device. A bit of a weak one though.
    I had a hunch that Nidge and Fran were going to pull off the import of the drugs by fooling the cops to follow the shipment to the dentist but all the time the plan was for Aido's bird to bring back the Lido on the ferry. I had visions of Nidge and Fran laughing their boll0xes off when they realised they pulled it off. Not to be...
    How much Lidocaine do you think she could smuggle on the Ferry? The entire point of the massive operation was that they could bring in hundreds of millions worth in one go. They were already smuggling stuff on the ferry, why would they go to this trouble just to continue doing what they were doing?
    Happyman42 wrote: »
    No, I am saying it wasn't credible to kill him with a bag you could push your tongue through.
    Maybe you should ask someone who's been beaten to a pulp and is now being suffocated and is panicking? ;)

It has happened, people have been suffocated using plastic bags, so it's not unrealistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

catallus wrote: »
    I've re-watched such adored series as "The Sopranos" (Sooo much filler involving his wife and kids, totally uncalled for and needless tripe)

I agree with your general point, and sorry for dragging it slightly off-topic, but I couldn't let this go unchecked. If you thought the bits with Carmela and the kids in The Sopranos were 'filler', you were watching the show wrong. They were more important to the main plot than the gangster stuff.

That and the Dr Melfi meetings are what make The Sopranos unique from typical gangster thrillers like The Godfather, Goodfellas etc. The mafia stuff is fun, but it's all ultimately just to set the backdrop for what is affecting Tony's psyche, which is then put to the litmus test with his family and in therapy. In other words, that's where we get our big plot twists, but it's at home we get the true dramatic pay-off when we see the toll its taking on Tony as he tries to get on with an ordinary home life (which you're supposed to then compare to your own).

To tie it back in, that's why I liked the ending to last night's L/H more the more I think about it. What's going on in Nidge's head is what ultimately affects everything else plot-wise, so getting an insight into that newfound invincibility feeling lets us know we've a lot in store next year. As I said on Facebook to people annoying me, this isn't Corrie or Eastenders where everything is spelled out for you in over-exaggerated accents (after being leaked to the press and then explained again two nights later for those who didn't catch it first time around). You're supposed to sit and dwell on it for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i enjoyed the series overall, but it felt like one episode. The budget and time constraints are showing now which is a problem. Carolan said he films each series like it's the last. It does seem a little scatty and rushed.

having said that, i'm happy it's gritty and real and does not do the long series american things such as following trish around for an episode etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

In the recent interview Stuart Carolan gave he admitted that some of the episodes were written before preceding episodes due to actor commitments elsewhere or being unavailable for some reason or other, so he was basically writing episode 5 before episode 4 was written etc. This would be some achievement for a writer if they pulled it off, however, he didn't and it does explain to some extent why it was such a disjointed sh*thouse of a series that fell flat on its face.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Evelyn Cusack

When is the next series due out?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

When is the next series due out?

Same time of year I reckon. They normally have it 6-7 weeks before Christmas in order to sell the DVD as people are doing their Christmas shopping. This year it was pushed forward a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Roonbox

and it does explain to some extent why it was such a disjointed sh*thouse of a series that fell flat on its face.

Are you aware of the type of ****e that is usually on TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

People claiming its super realistic and we need to dwell on it etc

In the real world,these gangsters end up in Jail or dead

They dont survive infighting,attacking travellers,the dissident republicans,and not one attack from another gang

Less of the its so realistic stuff please

Nidge would not have gotten off scott free if this was the real world

Its a really good,sometimes great tv and imo he made a balls of the last episode

It could have and should have been better.

This is not the Soprano's or anywhere near it,so that comparison is not correct.Soprano's created a gangster show where you didnt care that much about the mafia stuff,it was all about family and Tony's head.There is very little of that in Love Hate so having Nidge do a meltdown in the final seconds was very false imo.

What?:confused:
    happyman i'm not talking about your critique of the show...but your critique of some of incidences in the show are wide of the mark..if a large man strangled you and then put a bag over your head, you would be lucky to breath let alone stick your tongue through a bag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

seamus wrote: »
    Maybe you should ask someone who's been beaten to a pulp and is now being suffocated and is panicking? ;)

It has happened, people have been suffocated using plastic bags, so it's not unrealistic.

He wasn't beaten until later in the scene, he got a thump and the bag went on and he never touched it or made an attempt to claw it away. It was ridiculous for no other reason but sloppiness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

happyman i'm not talking about your critique of the show...but your critique of some of incidences in the show are wide of the mark..if a large man strangled you and then put a bag over your head, you would be lucky to breath let alone stick your tongue through a bag.

whatever about that his hands are clearly free and he could have torna hole in the bag to breathe..I think that is what the issue is

If Fran had strangled him with a cord or rope or whatever, noone would have an issue with it...it just seemed odd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

In the recent interview Stuart Carolan gave he admitted that some of the episodes were written before preceding episodes due to actor commitments elsewhere or being unavailable for some reason or other, so he was basically writing episode 5 before episode 4 was written etc. This would be some achievement for a writer if they pulled it off, however, he didn't and it does explain to some extent why it was such a disjointed sh*thouse of a series that fell flat on its face.

Way over the top Harsh there!! You, like many others have built up this thing in your head that each episode has to be action packed, someone gettin shot etc. people waited with alot of anticipation for this series through discussions on here and with mates expected so much.
    If you sit down and think about it... So much happened in this series, the cast and writers did a fantastic job.
    People are just up in arms because there was no surprise in the ending.
    Unfair critising over that.

He wasn't beaten until later in the scene, he got a thump and the bag went on and he never touched it or made an attempt to claw it away. It was ridiculous for no other reason but sloppiness.
    they picked him up off the ground to put the bag on his head?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

seamus wrote: »
    How much Lidocaine do you think she could smuggle on the Ferry?

was it still only lido being smuggled?

I thought the first run was only lido but now they were bringing in drugs too?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

raven136 wrote: »
    Nidge would not have gotten off scott free if this was the real world

Do you want a list of the people in Ireland in just the last year who've been convicted of serious crimes and been allowed to walk free with a suspended sentence? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Do you want a list of the people in Ireland in just the last year who've been convicted of serious crimes and been allowed to walk free with a suspended sentence? :p
    yeah if you are driving a car with a boot full of heroin, with no fingerprints or dna on the drugs, i think you can only be arrested if you admit you know they are there?
    probably easier to be arrested with a gram!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,192 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

What?:confused:

You'd wanna have a tongue like the creature in Alien to stick your tongue through plastic bag.

I still don't know why he didn't use his hands however.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    You'd wanna have a tongue like the creature in Alien to stick your tongue through plastic bag.

i nearly drowned once ..and when i hit the shore my arms and legs were useless, that may explain it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I was expecting him to try and bite through it myself. But yeah, the hand flapping thing was absolutely cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

I mean scott free as in neither the Guards or other gangsters hurt him or his family

Very unrealistic no?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,530 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The bag killing incident was very realistic and horrifying in one sense, but also it was ridiculously unbelievable in another sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcq-cA629fo

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Ravanelli

You, like many others have built up this thing in your head that each episode has to be action packed, someone gettin shot etc. people waited with alot of anticipation for this series through discussions on here and with mates expected so much.

The writing has been poor this season. I'd rather less action more development of characters to be honest. There is too much running around from here to there in the show already. Do we actually know anything new about Nidge as a person? Not much at all.

I think some people need to remove their emerald tinted glasses.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

raven136 wrote: »
    They dont survive infighting,attacking travellers,the dissident republicans,and not one attack from another gang

Less of the its so realistic stuff please.

I was unfortunate enough to know one of these sorts way back, and a friend and I used to joke that we could get mugged on the street, do the bare minimum to defend ourselves then run for protection and end up getting 5 years for assaulting the thief...whereas this guy could be caught red-handed with a bloody knife and a truck load of heroin and get off on a technicality.

The law is an ass and some people are just plain lucky when it comes to Gardaí or outside threats. Think Jesse Pinkman talking about how Walter White just had that streak of ridiculous luck; there are scumbags out there like that sadly. I wouldn't blame a real world equivalent of Nidge for feeling invincible in Ireland. Why do you think so many of our Gardaí are driven to drink with those kind of odds against them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I enjoyed the series, not as good as others(the 1st series is still the best imo), but still very enjoyable.Enjoyed the ending as well! Haha, Nidge having his freak out in the cell.

The final episode sets it all up nicely for next season. Nidge stating he will have to start all over again, Fran still around, and Siobhan saying she will do anything to get Nidge. Roll on next year!

there is a guy in dublin who fits nidges description exactly who has done little jail time (in and out in a day) has attacked the ra in dublin, abuses the gardai, has killed gang members and the travellers..and imports drugs.and still walks around without a bother...
    (so nidge is realistic)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,530 ✭✭✭✭walshb

there is a guy in dublin who fits nidges description exactly who has done little jail time (in and out in a day) has attacked the ra in dublin, abuses the gardai, has killed gang members and the travellers..and imports drugs.and still walks around without a bother...
    (so nidge is realistic)

Report him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 rivaldo2000

what were elmo and wayne doin when he was shot. was that job cancelled when he got shot

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement