Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

D-FENS wrote: »
    Very clever weapon of choice by Fran, cops will think it was the Rubber Bandits.

It might well have been, they're from Limerick aren't they :P

Probably revenge for Nidges comment? :D

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭amandstu

There is some similarity but the two voices are easily distinguishable from each other IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQPPgGEazno

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBhXNDrF2dE[/QUOTE]
    thanks.Ok I thought they were really close.(not just the voice but the sense of humour too )
    Actually I did play your OMeara clip but it is not that good a guide as it is more of a flat serious delivery whereas last night he was talking to Brendan o Connor and was much more quirky and laid back.(it should be on the RTE Player)
    I won't labour it as I thought it should be obvious and it doesn't work if its not and needless to say it is not of any lasting consequence either.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

I don't think Nidge was involved in killing Wayne. Nidge wanted Wayne to help kill the traveller. It was either of the following I'd say:

1. Wayne p1ssed off his jealous friend and he acted alone.
    2. The traveller got Wayne's friend to kill Wayne for him.

Watch it again. Nidge ordered it, but we were lead to believe that the 'young fella' Elmo was referring to using was Wayne and not Glen. I thought that was obvious, and one of the 'good bits' of this episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Ravanelli wrote: »
    Some people will tell you it's realistic in these Dublin ''ghettos''.

Usually people who live far far away from them :rolleyes:

You're having a go at me there with that quote (following on from an earlier discussion here too), so I'm happy to establish credentials to comment (without getting too in-depth): grew up in an area some of L/H is based in for 25 years, hung out in several others as a teen, got a close-up day-to-day view of it when I was unwittingly put in a flat share arrangement with a known city centre dealer (suffice to say, I left shortly afterwards) and I work right beside pretty much the hotspot for drug dealing in Dublin today. Every day I'm there I see multiple deals, fights, and other incidents. A woman was stabbed no further than a 30 second walk from where I work yesterday, an hour after I left...check the headlines it's there. Had a run-in with a couple of head the balls myself yesterday. They were in mighty form, so it was no surprise when I saw the news this morning. Though I obviously have no idea if it's the same people responsible.

So yeah, I have a first-hand account of what goes on. I'm not proud or happy that I do, I'd much rather be able to bury my head in the sand and chalk Love/Hate up as unrealistic tosh, but it is what it is. But by all means feel free to roll your eyes at how unrealistic you think it all is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭mjv2ydratu679c

I don't think Nidge was involved in killing Wayne. Nidge wanted Wayne to help kill the traveller. It was either of the following I'd say:

Eh don't think so - why was Elmo involved then? In order for either of these scenarios to be true Elmo would have to do the following

1. He went behind Nidge's back and helped Wayne's jealous friend
    2. He went behind Nidge's back and helped the traveller

Both highly unlikely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭zpehtsfd

There was NO gun under the skip , it was a setup. If you're still not convinced then what "job" was Wayne supposedly going to do with Elmo?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Wayne had to go. Does anyone really believe that Nidge was gonna' just let the house attack slide? He used him for a wee while and then murdered him in revenge. Wayne was a very loose and unpredictable canon.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭plannerscanner

johnsuperf wrote: »
    for those of you that have not seen it you should watch ;underbelly; its about true crime in australia it would leave love hate in the halfpenny place. you can watch it on watchseries.com. as you have to wait next year for love hate again.

Underbelly is alright. As for production value, acting and character development it is left in the ha'penny place by Love/Hate.

I understand it is a biopic but it moves at way too fast a pace to really enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭walshb

zpehtsfd wrote: »
    There was NO gun under the skip , it was a setup. If you're still not convinced then what "job" was Wayne supposedly going to do with Elmo?

Has to be this, even though I was a little confused by it at first. Once I took a little time to read between the lines it made perfect sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

Are we sure about Wayne though?

I've been thinking it might of been lizzy had him shot over giving up Dano?

Or his friend was jealous?

Why was he looking for the gun under the wheelybin and there was nothing there? Maybe his friend found it and used it on him to get in the gang?

Maybe it was space cowboys?

I mean ffs how Obvious was it Nidge had set him up! Some of the irish public need flashing banners on the screen to inform them What's happening?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,995 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

mud_guard wrote: »
    the other guy ( who eventually killed him ) came across as a harmless dope , I think killing off wayne was a bad call , he was a very intriguing and interesting charechter and exactly the kind who rises from a young age through the criminal underworld

he wasn't the type to squeal on nidge , unfortunately nidge has the personality of josef stalin , if in doubt , kill em off
    lots of intriguing characters out there....they can still end up dead for no good reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

mud_guard wrote: »
    the other guy ( who eventually killed him ) came across as a harmless dope , I think killing off wayne was a bad call , he was a very intriguing and interesting charechter and exactly the kind who rises from a young age through the criminal underworld

he wasn't the type to squeal on nidge , unfortunately nidge has the personality of josef stalin , if in doubt , kill em off

Killing him off I have no issue with, at the end of the day Nidge doesn't want a witness to the failed hit on the traveller, he can never trust Wayne since he will be loyal to whoever is paying him most, and from a social commentary point of view it is quite apt to illustrate how disposable these young lads are to the gang bosses and how there is always someone waiting to take your placee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

kryogen wrote: »
    Not to sound arrogant here, but then you read it completely wrong
    Maybe I was wrong. Or maybe I wasn't - just don't know how anyone can be sure, based on what happened.
    Eh don't think so - why was Elmo involved then? In order for either of these scenarios to be true Elmo would have to do the following

1. He went behind Nidge's back and helped Wayne's jealous friend
    2. He went behind Nidge's back and helped the traveller

Both highly unlikely
    Or 3 - Elmo and Wayne were off to kill the traveller on Nidge's orders.
    There was NO gun under the skip , it was a setup.

Because Glen had seen the gun being stashed and taken it for his own purposes.
    If you're still not convinced then what "job" was Wayne supposedly going to do with Elmo?
    Elmo and Wayne were off to kill the traveller on Nidge's orders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭heyheyhey1982

Are we sure about Wayne though?

I've been thinking it might of been lizzy had him shot over giving up Dano?

Or his friend was jealous?

Why was he looking for the gun under the wheelybin and there was nothing there? Maybe his friend found it and used it on him to get in the gang?

Maybe it was space cowboys?

I mean ffs how Obvious was it Nidge had set him up! Some of the irish public need flashing banners on the screen to inform them What's happening?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,413 ✭✭✭Macy0161

We saw Nidge and Elmo confirm the details! Wayne was a link to the botched Patrick hit, and was too cocky. They even emphasised that when Elmo picked him up and the laughing at the thought of being nervous.

Different side to Elmo btw - from bungling the hit on Darren to looking Wayne in the eye as he was driving him to his death.

Im assuming the mixing agent could probably be used to make steroids? I dunno. Not an expert :P
    no ...the mixing agent is to make your gums feel funny...steroids are injected

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

RainyDay wrote: »

Nidge and Wayne werent able to complete that task, so what chances was Elmo going to have? :D:D:D

The Detective / Tommy situation was a load of bollocks. As if he would chose to help him over putting a gang away for 20 years. Thought the finale and Season 4 overall was very poor. Way too many plots and rushed endings.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭plannerscanner

Ha, I'm glad someone else noticed that!

Ye may have noticed Fran popping in his new teeth. Like many people with un-fixed false teeth he popped them out in the evening and had a bottle of vodka for himself. Nothing strange here at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

The Detective / Tommy situation was a load of bollocks. As if he would chose to help him over putting a gang away for 20 years. Thought the finale and Season 4 overall was very poor. Way too many plots and rushed endings.

It was all on tape, The guards could do nothing else but help

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 mud_guard

lots of intriguing characters out there....they can still end up dead for no good reason

in real life yes , im talking about the show

• Registered Users Posts: 36 johnsuperf

I hope it's better than the pilot episode. When I watched that I thought it was a parody show.

the first episode was a little bit slow but believe me it kicks of after that.The show was great all based on fact.I watched nine episodes one night I just could not stop watching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,766 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Maybe I was wrong. Or maybe I wasn't - just don't know how anyone can be sure, based on what happened.

Or 3 - Elmo and Wayne were off to kill the traveller on Nidge's orders.

Because Glen had seen the gun being stashed and taken it for his own purposes.

You literally couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

This isn't a subjective thing that could go either way, Wayne was set up to be killed by Elmo and Nidge 100%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 46 mud_guard

waynes friend was - is a fool of a thing

of course nidge had him killed , elmo has no dealings with the traveller and was seen to be fully in on waynes murder

Take your pick - Dublin Dissidents - it was the Alan Ryan case.
    and it turned out that alan ryan was the only member of the RA in his gang....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

johnsuperf wrote: »
    the first episode was a little bit slow but believe me it kicks of after that.The show was great all based on fact.I watched nine episodes one night I just could not stop watching it.

I'll give it another go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Just watch it again, it is plain as day what happened, from the first watch.

If you still come away with any conclusion then Nidge having the lad killed then yes, you are still wrong.

Even ignoring the scene where Nidge tells Elmo to go ahead with it, did you not think it a little odd that there was no gun under the bin? that Glen just happened to be cycling around with a gun in that area by pure chance? that Elmo showed no reaction whatsoever to the shots, no surprise, no panic, nothing?

Come on like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

bazermc wrote: »
    Nidge and Wayne werent able to complete that task, so what chances was Elmo going to have? :D:D:D
    So they would have taken a different approach - a drive-by or whatever, instead of a head-on close quarters confrontation.
    The Detective / Tommy situation was a load of bollocks. As if he would chose to help him over putting a gang away for 20 years.
    He made a promise to Siobhan, and he stood by his promise. How is that hard to believe?
    P.Walnuts wrote: »
    You literally couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

This isn't a subjective thing that could go either way, Wayne was set up to be killed by Elmo and Nidge 100%
    You can keep repeating something, but that doesn't make it true. I'm open to being convinced, if there is any particular logic out there, but I haven't heard too much of that on this thread.

Benteke wrote: »
    It was all on tape, The guards could do nothing else but help

You mean the tape that was no longer necessary now that they were about to bust them all? Ironically Tommy collapsing was actually keeping Nidge at the scene instead of him living before the truck arrived. The scriptwriters were trying to add a deeper dimension to the dectitive's decision to save Tommy i.e. an emotional attachment. Hard to fathom for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 johnsuperf

Underbelly is alright. As for production value, acting and character development it is left in the ha'penny place by Love/Hate.

I understand it is a biopic but it moves at way too fast a pace to really enjoy.

The character development is far better in underbelly thats my opinion.love hate is not a patch on underbelly.Even the start of song was brilliant and well suited to the show.:its a jungle out there:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement