Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Benteke wrote: »
    It was a good episode, Many are just upset because they had no pay off at the end, it was a damp squid to put it mildly

HAha

Granted this was only the second season of Love/Hate I've seen, but I far preferred the last one. This one lacked any real sense of gravitas or tension--nothing really happened, ultimately. When you're getting upwards of five minutes of musical montages, you know it's just filler.

Nidge has possibly gone a bit mental, but apart from that nothing's really changed: Darren's death wasn't really felt/dealt with, Tommy is back in critical condition in hospital, some Gardaí couldn't catch the lads. The end. The only real change is the shift in the dynamic between Fran and Nidge (I'd wager season 5 will focus on the dissolution of their relationship until one of them is killed off) and a couple of dead secondary characters. Watchable but an ultimately disappointing season.

Nidge always goes loco with the cops. Sure remember the carry on of him when he was dragged in to be quizzed over the disappearance of Git Loughman last year?

He spat in a female detectives face and laughed like the joker in the interview room. All part of the little game they play to intimidate the Gardaí.

I cant help feeling Season 4 is suffering because of the wall to wall brilliance of Season 3.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Siobhan is Nidge's niece so is it her father or mother that is his sibling? I'd love to see more of Nidge's family

I think Big Joe (Siobhan's father) is Nidge's brother who appeared back in the first ever episode at Robbie's funeral and also played Nidge's best man at his wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,258 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I think Big Joe (Siobhan's father) is Nidge's brother who appeared back in the first ever episode at Robbie's funeral and also played Nidge's best man at his wedding.

Must do a rewatch of Season 1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Where did Elmo's girl and baby go this season? Having a mental block, they didn't get a mention but given his behaviour in season 3 I would have thought they would

• Advertisement

styron wrote: »
    It's a show of defiant invincibility alright - but also, just for a second, as they're dragging him into the station the scene breaks out of the drama into "reality TV"/'Cops' as Nidge stares directly into camera sticking his tongue out and effectively cocks a snook at us the audience too.

Well spotted. There definitely was a 'breaking of the 4th wall' in that instance alright. Its sort of metaphorical. Criminals are laughing at us all while they continue to get away with crimes sort of thing.

kryogen wrote: »
    Where did Elmo's girl and baby go this season? Having a mental block, they didn't get a mention but given his behaviour in season 3 I would have thought they would

Funnily enough i wondered the same thing. Maybe they were just used as a way of showing how Dano and the boys were willing to hurt her in order to smoke Elmo out of the hole he was hiding and Elmo earlier had told Darren of the pride he takes in fatherhood which was a way of attacking Darren's conscience while he was planning to assassinate Elmo.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

Keyzer wrote: »
    I thought the season got off to a great start, moving nicely along, a new angle with the cops and some good humour.

But it went down hill as each episode went on. I'm disappointed with the season as a whole. I felt some of the story lines were very sloppy and not thought out very well (see below).

All in all, this season felt like a segway into a final season, setting up the fifth and final season.

In the end, there were down right ridiculous things going on:

1. Lizzie batters someone with a crowbar and sits down to wait for the cops??? Yeah, cos IRA assassins always do that.

2. Nidge takes the yunfella under his wing after he was in his house to kill him because he keeps his mouth shut in front of the cops???

3. The pipe bomb fella doesn't tell Fran ASAP about Nidge buying the bomb the minute he see's him? Ah yeah, sure Nidge will understand.

4. Fran being cut out of the action in the last episode??? I know Nidge is the main man but hang on a sec, Fran is a lunatic and he's just gonna be "grand" with that?

5. Fran's teeth are fixed in one scene in the last episode, then its gone again, then its fixed ??? Pedantic Pat here...

6. What the hell was the last scene in the police cell about???

7. With that much heat going on, would you really kill the dentist and put him into a suitcase and just walk out of his house???

8. Tommy's head just happens to explode right at the perfect time for the cops to mess up the sting and leave Nidge free as a bird???

As I said, some of these were very sloppy. I had a hunch that Nidge and Fran were going to pull off the import of the drugs by fooling the cops to follow the shipment to the dentist but all the time the plan was for Aido's bird to bring back the Lido on the ferry. I had visions of Nidge and Fran laughing their boll0xes off when they realised they pulled it off. Not to be...

Good show but no where near as good as the media hype puts it. The writers need to go back to the drawing board and start coming up with some fresh ideas and story arc's with definitive endings.

Thats one way out of the movement for a volunteer who has become disillusioned. Commit a relatively serious crime, do some time, get a record and they wont want anything to do wit you afterwards...
    They didnt explain that very well in the show though!

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Benteke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

alias06 wrote: »
    If season five is to be the finale then it is all set up brilliantly. I think writer deliberately set up as many threats to Nidge as possible which caused him to lose it in the end and leave us all in anticipation for the next season.

Things don't look good for Nidge - he is facing at least five serious threats:

1) Fran is liable to do anything and could decide to take Nidge out for not letting him in on the where and when of the heroin deal. Alternatively Fran may yet find out that Nidge pipe bombed his misses.

2) Siobhan wants to take down Nidge for bashing Tommy's head in. She loves Tommy to bits despite his condition and she knows she has to stop Nidge to protect Tommy. So she could turn State witness or lead Nidge into a trap with the cops. This could set season 5 up for a stronger female role. Siobhan would be perfect for it - her acting is brilliant. The Tommy-Siobhan-Moynihan sub-plot is where the real emotion and feeling is in this drama.

3) Then there is Patrick, the settled traveller that makes the pipe bombs (again brilliant acting). He's a real likeable character, keeps himself to himself, but is probably as tough as nails underneath it all. He might well come back from England with a few of his cousins and wipe out Nidge and his crew. Is he really going to let Nidge run him out of town?

4) There was a hint in last nights show that Tommy is started to remember things. He remembered that Nidge had ordered a hit on Darren. He might start to remember other things such as the pipe bomb or the fact that Nidge beat him up.

5) There is always the possibility that young lads on the rise or rival gangs could pose a threat.

Season 5 could deliver all the action people were looking for in final episode of season 4. There was no way the writer could have brought all these sub-plots to a conclusion at the end of season 4.

This pretty much sums it up. Nidge faces a lot of threats. What are they likely to do.

1) Fran could attempt to kill Trish, Warren and Nidge's toddler. Fran could also tell Tommy who hit him. With Siobhan confirming it and Tommy then remembering it too. Fran already resents Nidge for keeping him out but both men have common enemies as well.

2) Siobhan ultimately wants to help Tommy and detective Moynihan is sympathetic to her and him. Unlike Fran, I believe Siobhan does not pose a violent threat to Nidge and agree that it will be her working with the detectives that will pose the threat.

3) The traveller will certainly be back and it will be interesting how he attempts to deal with Nidge. Expect a showdown between the two factions with Fran taking advantage of the situation no doubt.

4) Tommy's setback last night will be the precursor to his full recovery I feel. Tommy will remember everything and he will have Siobhan, the cops and Fran as allies (an unlikely alliance!!) against Nidge. What way Tommy will choose for his revenge will be very interesting: will he help Fran in a violent attack on Nidge or his family? Or will he go along with Siobhan and the cops?

5) Glen/Guinea? Why was Wayne killed and who wanted it done? It was hardly Nidge somehow. It could be a jealous Glen or Glen could be set up by the travellers. Glen's assassination of Wayne shows us his ruthlessness for whatever reason. A rising threat to Nidge and co? Yes. Wayne liked to pose with guns and shoots the cat but he himself was not as tough as he let on (I'm sad Wayne was killed as he was a good character and could have been explored more). Glen on the other hand is tough and it is vicious he killed his friend and sneakily.

Other threats of course exist too: The IRA (they haven't gone away you know! Nidge still has to give them some money and deliver arms every now and again). It all depends if they are continuing with this story or not. Lizzie (separate to Tony and the IRA) also has issues and may seek revenge.

It is a pity that the dentist was done away with so soon. It would have been interesting if he got away from Fran last night and play an integral part as a Nidge ally against Fran next time around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Think I've missed something with Wayne being murdered. What's brought that on? Don't recall anything setting that up i.e why Nidge would want rid of him. Odd.

Shame too, terrific actor and a good character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Think I've missed something with Wayne being murdered. What's brought that on? Don't recall anything setting that up i.e why Nidge would want rid of him. Odd.

Writer thought it would be a clever twist. He was wrong. It was sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I remember someone in this thread describing Wayne as having a Jon Venables look to him. I thought that was bang on, he was symbolic of all emotionless killers that rise quickly in organised crime. Its a real shame they killed him off, he could've been a great source of material in future seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Umaro wrote: »
    I remember someone in this thread describing Wayne as having a Jon Venables look to him. I thought that was bang on, he was symbolic of all emotionless killers that rise quickly in organised crime. Its a real shame they killed him off, he could've been a great source of material in future seasons.

It shows a waste of life but to have expanded that they'd have needed to shown him waked with an upset granny or something. As it is it was sloppy, it was a shock when he was shot then irritating. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭hbonbr

mud_guard wrote: »
    what is she bar t1ts and as5 ?

shes a tramp who married for money and doesn't care where the money comes from
    Still, she is gorgeous, I was glad she got the ride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

I doubt if Nidge set this up. Glen could have acted on his own or he could have been employed by the traveller. Nidge warned Wayne not to tell anyone and Wayne trusted this Glen too much I think. Glen was clearly jealous of Wayne's newfound success and either killed him off his own bat or the travellers got to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I doubt if Nidge set this up. Glen could have acted on his own or he could have been employed by the traveller. Nidge warned Wayne not to tell anyone and Wayne trusted this Glen too much I think. Glen was clearly jealous of Wayne's newfound success and either killed him off his own bat or the travellers got to him.

Sweet Jesus this **** never ends!

triple_facepalm_by_spottedheart98464-d3kuyp3.png

• Registered Users Posts: 9,410 ✭✭✭Macy0161

FFS we saw nidge and Elmo discuss it. Elmo didn't flinch when it was happening. Wayne was set up by nidge and elmo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,054 ✭✭✭D.Q

Macy0161 wrote: »
    FFS we saw nidge and Elmo discuss it. Elmo didn't flinch when it was happening. Wayne was set up by nidge and elmo.

Absolutely, it's clear as day. Nidge was just sorting out the loose ends.

IMO the deliberate arrest at the end was a tribute of sorts to how the general used to spend nights in police stations as an alibi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 xrated110

just wondering whats the name of the actress violetta in the series finale? :)

• Advertisement

D.Q wrote: »
    Absolutely, it's clear as day. Nidge was just sorting out the loose ends.

IMO the deliberate arrest at the end was a tribute of sorts to how the general used to spend nights in police stations as an alibi.

IMO i dont think they knew how else to end the series without nidge going into a cell

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

xrated110 wrote: »
    just wondering whats the name of the actress violetta in the series finale? :)

'Actress'.

wow just wow though

• Registered Users Posts: 14,808 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

So you think Patrick had Wayne killed..when he hadn't a clue who he was and barely even locked eyes on him as Wayne was hanging off his back.

Also that he turned Glen and convinced him to kill his friend, the same Glen who Nidge saw with Wayne in the pub, acknowledged his existence and who we know wanted a way into the gang. There is nothing for Glen in killing Wayne on Patrick's orders..who he doesn't know from Adam, there is however a benefit in doing it for Nidge.

It's really not that complicated, we clearly saw in the episode that Patrick is panicking and just looking for a way out, he's not bent on revenge and if he was he would have gone for Nidge not his lacky.

it was on nidges orders. He made a fool out of him so he was willing to do it and he gets into nidges gang

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Dave H

Did anyone notice that the scene right after Glen falling off the bike, the brief one of Fran lighting a smoke at his yard , was used earlier in the series. I can't remember which episode but I distinctively remember him not getting the cigarette lit in it.

Having looked at that episode again my sympathy really does go out to Aido. He just had a epiphany that the life of crime and drugs was in no way the proper life to lead for a future dad and so he decided to get out before he ends up spending 20 years in prison. And then Nadine shatters his world with the devastating revelation that she is no longer carrying his child thus probably sending him back on a path of crime worse than he ever was.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Kikin

So the dentist paid to have Wayne killed, as Wayne knew the dentist was telling the undercover real life cop, and after firing his dental assistant who we subsequently find out was the owner of the cat from episode 1.....right?

Who was the guy tracking Nidge on a motorbike? at first i thought it was the cops but now i think it could possibly be Patrick's mate, the James lad.

EDIT: Just seen it again there now. Yeah it was a cop tracking Nidge.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 645 ✭✭✭loveBBhate

Having looked at that episode again my sympathy really does go out to Aido. He just had a epiphany that the life of crime and drugs was in no way the proper life to lead for a future dad and so he decided to get out before he ends up spending 20 years in prison. And then Nadine shatters his world with the devastating revelation that she is no longer carrying his child thus probably sending him back on a path of crime worse than he ever was.

True that, just after watching the episode again there. Reaction says it all :( no more than the time his budgie died :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement