Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

MidlandsM wrote: »
    so, what we got last night was scene's of drug abuse, drug dealing, drink and drug driving, kneecapping, after hours drinking, sex, rape, murder .... have I missed anything?

Driving a JCB with no lights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

Very good episode, there's my two cents

• Registered Users Posts: 11,323 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Just after watching it on Sky Plus and I must say I thought it was superb! Not sure if I'm following the general consensus of the thread, but I really thought it was a real Tarantino-esque directed episode. Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Pretty good alright. Fran is so annoying, Nidge isn't going to make it to the end of the series without sticking him in a hole in the ground.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Anyone think the IRA guy was not very believable ? he was dead set against drug dealing but thought it was ok to rape someone :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,548 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

If Fran finds out Nidge was with his wife and that he threw the pipebomb through his house it might be Nidge in the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

As far back as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a gangster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Happyman42 wrote: »
    man up and counter the criticism objectively and maturely.

Says the man who makes comparisons with the catholic church and sexual abuse.
    Jumboman wrote: »
    Anyone think the IRA guy was not very believable ? he was dead set against drug dealing but thought it was ok to rape someone

Yeah, as IRA men, as we all know, are normally upstanding members of society.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Jumboman wrote: »
    Anyone think the IRA guy was not very believable ? he was dead set against drug dealing but thought it was ok to rape someone :rolleyes:

Are u taking the piss:)?? Ra men are the most hypocritical bunch of scum you can come across. I thought they nailed his character, hates drug dealing -> wouldnt mind a bit of charley, wants Ireland to be a free country -> goes around intimidating & raping people. How is this different to the current shower we know of

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Says the man who makes comparisons with the catholic church and sexual abuse.

As I thought, your inability to engage your critical faculties while viewing RTE is in proportion to your inability to interpret posts on here, you may have comprehension issues. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

_blank_ wrote: »
    Welcome to the Boards.ie TV Forum, the home of people with nothing better to do than watch shows they hate so they can come on to the internet and bitch about them.

If it's so bad, why do you post in it?

Do you see? Anyone can make snidey comments :P

• Registered Users Posts: 45 dec1892

Gits pub (the Napper Tandy) has been closed since the mid 1990's as far as I know, used to be there around somewhere around Bride Street.....they just the name and put it up over the door of another pub?

leonidas83 wrote: »
    Are u taking the piss:)?? Ra men are the most hypocritical bunch of scum you can come across. I thought they nailed his character, hates drug dealing -> wouldnt mind a bit of charley, wants Ireland to be a free country -> goes around intimidating & raping people. How is this different to the current shower we know of

All political entities have their hypocrites, the 'RA' being no different. The fact that we always see this stereotype of a 'RA' man in TV drama only shows the laziness of some of Irish writers, not the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

All political entities have their hypocrites, the 'RA' being no different. The fact that we always see this stereotype of a 'RA' man in TV drama only shows the laziness of some of Irish writers, not the truth.
    with all due respect that's b*llox.....he was a typical IRA double standard waffler and he was portrayed as such...I thought it was bang on.

with all due respect that's b*llox.....he was a typical IRA double standard waffler and he was portrayed as such...I thought it was bang on.

He was a stereotype...I could have said his words before he did. He was a default RTE 'RA' man.
    He wasn't nor couldn't have been an IRA man as they don't exist anymore, except in the minds of those with a bias. A bias the writers are exploiting here for their own lazy ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,926 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ROFL.

Some of your posts so far have been so left field that i have difficulty reading what you are saying. Clearly you have no clue what you are on about. Your dragging random subjects into a debate about RTE to back up your view on 1 character and actor in the series. Then you paint it as valid debate when it is nothing of the sort.

He was a stereotype...I could have said his words before he did. He was a default RTE 'RA' man.
    He wasn't nor couldn't have been an IRA man as they don't exist anymore, except in the minds of those with a bias. A bias the writers are exploiting here for their own lazy ends.

Of course they exist, sure wasnt one shot dead about 8 weeks ago.

Are you delusional ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

And you base this on what?

Are you trying to say that Republican dissidents aren't violent criminals with confirmed links to extortion rackets, smuggling and intimidation?

funny, because his age and position is similar to a real life character?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

brilliant program, one of my favourite Rte productions ever.

only shame is that theres so few episodes.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    ROFL.

Some of your posts so far have been so left field that i have difficulty reading what you are saying. Clearly you have no clue what you are on about. Your dragging random subjects into a debate about RTE to back up your view on 1 character and actor in the series. Then you paint it as valid debate when it is nothing of the sort.

What random subjects have I dragged in? I used the word 'crawthumper' and suddenly I was talking about the Catholic Church and sexual abuse. :D

Discussion about RTE's penchant for stereotyping is entirely valid imo. Motivation and characterisation are valid topics in a discussion about drama...no? Or maybe I just wandered into an RTE love-in thread?

What random subjects have I dragged in? I used the word 'crawthumper' and suddenly I was talking about the Catholic Church and sexual abuse. :D

Discussion about RTE's penchant for stereotyping is entirely valid imo. Motivation and characterisation are valid topics in a discussion about drama...no? Or maybe I just wandered into an RTE love-in thread?
    state what was stereotypical about the IRA character you refer to, and how this differs from a real middleaged IRA man.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

With it looking like nidge will be done away with Im getting scared for next series.
    Darren will step up to be in charge. This will resort to very boring activity like setting the prostitutes free and instead of selling drugs the gang will open a flower shop. Hope if they do away with the great nidge fran takes charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

state what was stereotypical about the IRA character you refer to, and how this differs from a real middleaged IRA man.

The real IRA man is just a normal man, like other people. Not some hard-ass.

I didnt even have to point it out...

I dont believe there is any blatant stereotyping in the series at all. Its a fairly dam accurate portrayal of what goes on in public and behind the scenes with sociopaths. Ive had drinks with folks exactly the same and sometimes you have to wonder is someone going to burst in the door any minute and end them.

There is nothing stereotypical about that, it is what it is. They're your best buddy one minute calling you made up nicknames and the next minute its a different person with their head in your face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Of course he was.

RTE have to play to the masses here. Unless the writer has been in the IRA the charachter is like Santa Clause !

Right down to the knee capping it was predictible. At least they didint throw in a few Nordie accents!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

With it looking like nidge will be done away with Im getting scared for next series. .

I reckon Nidge will stick his gun in his mouth, and blow his own head off in a story twist...:eek:

Neeson wrote: »
    The real IRA man is just a normal man, like other people. Not some hard-ass.

Thats not the lads at the coal face. So your wrong.

The wealthier lads dont be standing at the coal face and arent known. But you need men on the ground. This is who git was.

Darren will step up to be in charge. This will resort to very boring activity like setting the prostitutes free and instead of selling drugs the gang will open a flower shop.

Yes, yet another stereotype, 'the crim with a heart of gold'. Tired and lazy. I really don't know if this actor can act or not, but his characterisation makes it impossible for anybody to create a credible character. That's the writers fault. Prehaps they should take a closer look at the series they ape,(Breaking Bad, Sopranos) and look at creating real conflicts and self deception within the characters they create.
    To blatantly lift the dramatic construct of starting at the end and flashing back to how they arrived at that point from Breaking Bad was a bit cringeworthy and only served to make them look, so sadly inferior to brilliant writing.

• Advertisement

Yes, yet another stereotype, 'the crim with a heart of gold'. Tired and lazy. I really don't know if this actor can act or not, but his characterisation makes it impossible for anybody to create a credible character. That's the writers fault. Prehaps they should take a closer look at the series they ape,(Breaking Bad, Sopranos) and look at creating real conflicts and self deception within the characters they create.
    To blatantly lift the dramatic construct of starting at the end and flashing back to how they arrived at that point from Breaking Bad was a bit cringeworthy and only served to make them look, so sadly inferior to brilliant writing.
    Actually this episode borrowed heavily from "irreversable" not breaking bad. Get your facts right.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement