Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

The girlfriend said she seen them filming out at dollymount and ruth negga was there .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 93 ✭✭Berlin at night

Its brilliant, isn't it? I normally tape all six episodes, then watch them in one go. Its tough disipline but its worth it. I did however watch the first episode last Sunday and am craving more. Best thing (drama wise) to ever hit Irish television.

Some really scary characters in the show. I love Fran, he's a hoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Lapin wrote: »
    In that case helpline numbers should be issued after most news bulletins.

That's hardly the same situation as this...the number was given out..it doesn't affect you..let it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Lapin wrote: »
    In that case helpline numbers should be issued after most news bulletins.

It's a common enough thing for broadcasters to do if there's scenes that deal with particularly sensitive subjects in a graphic or disturbing way. Soap operas do it a fair bit. It's certainly not something that's specific to RTE.

As for it being needed after the News? Actually showing a rape scene could be a lot more traumatic viewing than hearing the details of a court case where someone is being tried for rape.

I can appreciate it must be hard for a rape victim to have seen Love/Hate on Sunday and i'm well aware that rape is a horrendously traumatic event for any human being to occur and my heart does go out to all the victims who have suffered.

But tbh in the majority of complaints you have people living in a sheltered bubble who are almost of the absurd belief that if it doesn't happen on TV, it wont happen in real life. Its utterly ludicrous but unfortunately we have a certain audience who just dont want the issues that actually occur to be portrayed in any way shape or form because its knocks them out of their comfort zone.

This is art following life and not the other way around. We cant be so insulated. When you watch a program based on gangland you can expect the boundaries to be pushed. You can expect things that will shock you.

The only way to raise awareness of issues is to use media to our advantage. Love/Hate painted a dark picture of certain occurrences on Sunday. The Terror of Rape, A man being kicked to death, Getting into a fight with the wrong sort, and all on top of the utter banality of gangland Ireland.

If this program makes people that little more vigilant of where they go or who they associate with then it have been worth it.

We have a useless government (carrying on from another) doing absolutely nothing to fight crime only further accommodating it between holes in the law and reducing the number of Guards on our streets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Username99

With it looking like nidge will be done away with Im getting scared for next series.
    Darren will step up to be in charge. This will resort to very boring activity like setting the prostitutes free and instead of selling drugs the gang will open a flower shop. Hope if they do away with the great nidge fran takes charge.

Ha, Ha, I agree, I just don't think Darren suits the series at all. He actually turned me off the show before

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

Teaser for next ep...

Looks like Nidge is f*cked

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 735 ✭✭✭joydivision

Nah he will just get a hiding thats all . Then nidge will blow his missus up .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

hey there was a very short sex scene where the woman said "get off me"

Who was that??? i couldn't see

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

hey there was a very short sex scene where the woman said "get off me"

Who was that??? i couldn't see
    That was the Ra man's son. They were all back at the brothel where his dad and Nidge were getting their end away downstairs. They then drop him back home to the missus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

DL Saint wrote: »
    Teaser for next ep...

Looks like Nidge is f*cked
    jack black head on fran!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

Happyman42 wrote: »
    All political entities have their hypocrites, the 'RA' being no different. The fact that we always see this stereotype of a 'RA' man in TV drama only shows the laziness of some of Irish writers, not the truth.

The writer doesn't seem to know much about how republicans talk because the IRA man referred to "the queen" most republicans would never say that instead they would say the "british queen". I know it doesn't make much difference but they could of made the show more realistic.

Also I wonder are criminals dumb enough to talk about avoiding the garda on their mobile phones after they just killed someone you think they would speak in code incase the garda were listening to their phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 stringofmisery

[QUOTE=Also I wonder are criminals dumb enough to talk about avoiding the garda on their mobile phones after they just killed someone you think they would speak in code incase the garda were listening to their phones.[/QUOTE]

I'd say the whole lot of 'em would have been pretty ****ed by now if the guards were listening in on their phonecalls!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Jumboman wrote: »
    The writer doesn't seem to know much about how republicans talk because the IRA man referred to "the queen" most republicans would never say that instead they would say the "british queen". I know it doesn't make much difference but they could of made the show more realistic.

Also I wonder are criminals dumb enough to talk about avoiding the garda on their mobile phones after they just killed someone you think they would speak in code incase the garda were listening to their phones.
    I'd say the whole lot of 'em would have been pretty ****ed by now if the guards were listening in on their phonecalls!

In previous seasons they routinely swapped disposable sim cards. They kept a bottle of water in the car so they could swallow the sim and wash it down. IIRC all they mentioned was that there was a checkpoint, they never told Fran why they needed him until he was there in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Thank God (and boards) for the "Add user to ignore list" function. :pac:

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭RubyRoss

Happyman42 wrote: »
    To blatantly lift the dramatic construct of starting at the end and flashing back to how they arrived at that point from Breaking Bad was a bit cringeworthy and only served to make them look, so sadly inferior to brilliant writing.

Starting with a flashback is so bloody old it has a Latin name - in medias res. Storytelling devices are a bit older than televison.

I think the reason it is currently so popular with TV is because we as viewers can get bored easily and switch off or turn over. Putting the high-drama at the beginning is an effective hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

class episode.

ive a feeling things aint gonna end well for darren this series. he seems to be doing a johnboy without his bit of stuff to keep him straight.

the girl im with thinks theres gonna be a split though between him and nidge leading to all sorts of fun with fran with he finds out what happened between nidge and his missus. personally i thought with git gone the son would declare war on ALL the dealers and that'd be the main thrust of the story but she's been right before on this stuff. i thought he'd get topped by the end of this series but apparently he's already signed up to season 4 so maybe he just gets banged up in the joy.

i dont really get all the stuff here complaining about git though.

this is a series about drug dealing scumbags, he HAD to be portrayed much worse for the audience not to mind darren kegging him in the head. speaking of that the girl thinks the lads that got bit in the cheek will be fingered by nidge to save his own hide and that looks like the out to me too.

bout the one thing we both agree on is nidge is getting in there with the sons wife. havent seen a girl desparate for a shag since you wan from braveheart.

:D

fran though was great fun for me. i didnt really like him as a villain last season but he's much more fun as a comedic device (while still being dangerous, i thought he might actually glass darren in that bar near the end ).

been going around saying "Coolaboola" all day. :D

i DID kinda see the end coming, but all in all thats because it was the only way it could get to the clip at the begining .

some class black comedy in it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭TheBlock

class episode.

ive a feeling things aint gonna end well for darren this series. he seems to be doing a johnboy without his bit of stuff to keep him straight.

the girl im with thinks theres gonna be a split though between him and nidge leading to all sorts of fun with fran with he finds out what happened between nidge and his missus. personally i thought with git gone the son would declare war on ALL the dealers and that'd be the main thrust of the story but she's been right before on this stuff. i thought he'd get topped by the end of this series but apparently he's already signed up to season 4 so maybe he just gets banged up in the joy.

i dont really get all the stuff here complaining about git though.

this is a series about drug dealing scumbags, he HAD to be portrayed much worse for the audience not to mind darren kegging him in the head. speaking of that the girl thinks the lads that got bit in the cheek will be fingered by nidge to save his own hide and that looks like the out to me too.

bout the one thing we both agree on is nidge is getting in there with the sons wife. havent seen a girl desparate for a shag since you wan from braveheart.

fran though was great fun for me. i didnt really like him as a villain last season but he's much more fun as a comedic device (while still being dangerous, i thought he might actually glass darren in that bar near the end ).

been going around saying "Coolaboola" all day. :D

i DID kinda see the end coming, but all in all thats because it was the only way it could get to the clip at the begining .

some class black comedy in it though.

Think Fran will take Darrens place, and may end up being smarter than he's given credit for. Nidge thinks with his Mickey.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,511 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Jumboman wrote: »

No such technology exists in this country for mobile to mobile calls.

Someone takes a pop at Darren this series i think as he is seen sprinting in the promo. However im sensing he could give Trish one yet the lucky bugger :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

thought that was the gardai he was legging it from ?

im pretty sure that bit was shot up by tallaght cross which is between the luas line and the hospital. seeing as thats also where his apt seems to be in this series maybe he's got dobbed in by someone ?

great thing is in this series it could be for anything from gits murder to the pipe bomb to general druggy business so it could be anyone out to get him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

im pretty sure that bit was shot up by tallaght cross which is between the luas line and the hospital. seeing as thats also where his apt seems to be in this series maybe he's got dobbed in by someone ?

great thing is in this series it could be for anything from gits murder to the pipe bomb to general druggy business so it could be anyone out to get him.

Yes it is Tallaght Cross (beside Aldi and Luas track). Lots of empty office blocks/apartments etc up there.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

:) You know your probably right. That didnt actually occur to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Yes, it was definitely the cops/special branch chasing him.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭JessePinkman

Whats with the scence when Nidge & Fran were stopped by the cops "Ah just picking the lad up from the airport"....."ah,go on so"

Like FFS Nidge was steaming all night and doin loads of gear there was no way he would get through a checkpoint

And there is no way Fran would chance would bury the body on his own land..no feckin way

Other than that its deadly

Coooola Booola !!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I wonder will they refer to the RA as the reals or just as the IRA after the amalgamation... I have a feeling they will be out of touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭Highway_To_Hell

I think this has been asked before but I couldn't see an answer.

Can Love/Hate be watched on RTE Player? doesn't seem to be available at the moment.

Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

Can Love/Hate be watched on RTE Player? doesn't seem to be available at the moment.

Thanks

Yes it should be, I watched it on Monday on that player, its down as the most popular choice at the moment if you have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭bb86

Got around to watching it last night, it was brill I thought! Bit scary though & disturbing but it's really well done! Darren is def my favourite!! :) Kindof scary that this stuff is actually happening in real life also!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I wonder will they refer to the RA as the reals or just as the IRA after the amalgamation... I have a feeling they will be out of touch.

Who cares what those murdering scumbags call themselves? The series is already shot, cut and finished long ago - they don't change it based on current events.

Thanks

They don't leave Love/Hate up on the player as long as some shows - presumably because they will be releasing a DVD of the show as soon as its broadcast finishes. You only have a week to catch up on each episode and then it's gone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement