Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭brian_t

• Registered Users Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Jumboman wrote: »
    The writer doesn't seem to know much about how republicans talk because the IRA man referred to "the queen" most republicans would never say that instead they would say the "british queen". I know it doesn't make much difference but they could of made the show more realistic.

Also I wonder are criminals dumb enough to talk about avoiding the garda on their mobile phones after they just killed someone you think they would speak in code incase the garda were listening to their phones.
    you're talking about "on the record" ...you can't say for certain that people say that in private...it's shorter to say just "queen"

I wonder will they refer to the RA as the reals or just as the IRA after the amalgamation... I have a feeling they will be out of touch.
    that's just idiotic...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

you're talking about "on the record" ...you can't say for certain that people say that in private...it's shorter to say just "queen"

For god's sake! :rolleyes: He and his son are stereotypes...shorthand for those who want to believe that all IRA/Real IRA people are like that. Lazy lazy writing.
    How many times have you seen the same IRA/Republican man drinking whiskey and losing the head on television over the years?
    Gulp, gulp, ribald joking...gulp, gulp some more...cue murderous eyes...gulp, gulp, enter stage left some poor unfortunate everyman to mutter an insult...cue glass breaking and stock republican explodes in fury. FFS It's default RTE/ BBC lazy rubbish.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    For god's sake! :rolleyes: He and his son are stereotypes...shorthand for those who want to believe that all IRA/Real IRA people are like that. Lazy lazy writing.
    How many times have you seen the same IRA/Republican man drinking whiskey and losing the head on television over the years?
    Gulp, gulp, ribald joking...gulp, gulp some more...cue murderous eyes...gulp, gulp, enter stage left some poor unfortunate everyman to mutter an insult...cue glass breaking and stock republican explodes in fury. FFS It's default RTE/ BBC lazy rubbish.
    Funny that because he seems to be almost identical to an ex IRa/bank robber from dublin.

• Advertisement

Funny that because he seems to be almost identical to an ex IRa/bank robber from dublin.

He is identical to almost every IRA/ bank robber on RTE over the last 30 years.
    You are doing what the writers/RTE intended you to do...converting the stereotype of a stock character into something real, instead of them getting the finger out and creating a credible nuanced character who is relevant to that particular drama.
    We have seen him hundreds of times.

He is identical to almost every IRA/ bank robber on RTE over the last 30 years.
    You are doing what the writers/RTE intended you to do...converting the stereotype of a stock character into something real, instead of them getting the finger out and creating a credible nuanced character who is relevant to that particular drama.
    We have seen him hundreds of times.
    you've just compared fiction with me talking about a real person?

Whats with the scence when Nidge & Fran were stopped by the cops "Ah just picking the lad up from the airport"....."ah,go on so"

Like FFS Nidge was steaming all night and doin loads of gear there was no way he would get through a checkpoint

And there is no way Fran would chance would bury the body on his own land..no feckin way

Other than that its deadly

Coooola Booola !!!!!!!!!!!!

The surprising thing was how composed Nidge and Fran were at the checkpoint considering they were so high and they would be jittery knowing what they know.

I half wonder do the guards want the hassle of bringing in half these lunatics only to be undermined at a later stage by the upper echelons of the law.

As for Fran i suppose he had the digger on his own land and as he said himself he should have thrown a bullock in with it to stop the infra red picking the body up

you've just compared fiction with me talking about a real person?

Jesus H. It's like debating with a child.
    Do you think the writers lazily fell back on a universally recognised archtype in the portrayal of this character or not.

Jesus H. It's like debating with a child.
    Do you think the writers lazily fell back on a universally recognised archtype in the portrayal of this character or not.
    are you for real? I think the writers wrote f*ck all to be honest, as most of the stories are from the newspapers and the rape/head smash was lifted directly (without a doubt) from irreversible...

having said that...i think it's pretty close to excellent as love/hate is entertainment not factual.

To answer your question NO i think the ra guy wasn't far removed from your typical clueless RA mouthpiece....and as i said before it's obvious he's based on a real ex IRA/kidnapper/bank robber, who was hired by the IRA not because of politics, rather his ability to make money...so there you go, not everyone in the IRA shares their beliefs...some are just good at killing and robbing. Just get that clear....I believe Git was based on a specific person from north west dublin.

• Advertisement

are you for real? I think the writers wrote f*ck all to be honest, as most of the stories are from the newspapers and the rape/head smash was lifted directly (without a doubt) from irreversible...

having said that...i think it's pretty close to excellent as love/hate is entertainment not factual.

To answer your question NO i think the ra guy wasn't far removed from your typical clueless RA mouthpiece....and as i said before it's obvious he's based on a real ex IRA/kidnapper/bank robber, who was hired by the IRA not because of politics, rather his ability to make money...so there you go, not everyone in the IRA shares their beliefs...some are just good at killing and robbing. Just get that clear....I believe Git was based on a specific person from north west dublin.

Oh dear, I think you just proved my point. There are none so sad as those who can't see that they are being pandered to. Lazy writing wins again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Oh dear, I think you just proved my point. There are none so sad as those who can't see that they are being pandered to. Lazy writing wins again.

Your over the top criticisms make sense now! Why didn't you just come out and say your problem was with how they portrayed the IRA??

are you saying there is no such thing as a republican mouthpiece??

RoryMac wrote: »
    Your over the top criticisms make sense now! Why didn't you just come out and say your problem was with how they portrayed the IRA??

eh? I have problems with their portrayal of several of the characters and with the misplaced production values.
    Read the thread maybe?

eh? I have problems with their portrayal of several of the characters and with the misplaced production values.
    Read the thread maybe?
    i'd say tv time in your gaff is some laugh

are you saying there is no such thing as a republican mouthpiece??

Are you saying there is no such thing as a lazy writer?

i'd say tv time in your gaff is some laugh

i'd say you'd believe anything as long as it's wrapped up in fancy packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I think H has achieved his goal of trying to turn an enjoyable thread into pages of crap?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

I think H has achieved his goal of trying to turn an enjoyable thread into pages of crap?

My apologies, I just get annoyed when 'cool' and 'sexy' gets confused with 'good'.
    Same dilemma the lead actor and his writers have. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,928 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My apologies, I just get annoyed when 'cool' and 'sexy' gets confused with 'good'.

Username change i think is in order....

• Advertisement

so you're saying "love/hate is not good?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Fair enough, It's only TV at the end of the day and most here are having a bit of craic teasing the plot, nothing more nothing less. If you're that serious about the the skills or lack there of by the writers? I'm sure there's a thread for that somewhere on Boards too ;)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

They are being portrayed for what they are currently- hypocritical criminals and nothing more. The idea that they are "fighting" for some great cause now is laughable and the writer, who has spoken on the issue, is deliberately ridiculing them. Its demythologising all the old rubbish attributed to the "fight for freedom" crap in these current times.

so you're saying "love/hate is not good?

It's alright, for what it is; an overly stylish, one dimensional gangland thiller. The worshipping and abandonment of critical faculties on here is more entertaining though.

It's alright, for what it is; an overly stylish, one dimensional gangland thiller. The worshipping and abandonment of critical faculties on here is more entertaining though.
    no i think people genuinely enjoyed it...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

I wonder will they refer to the RA as the reals or just as the IRA after the amalgamation... I have a feeling they will be out of touch.

I wonder will they have the "Criminal Action Force" in the program remember those guys who said they would take on the IRA if they interfered with their drug dealing.

Fair enough, It's only TV at the end of the day and most here are having a bit of craic teasing the plot, nothing more nothing less. If you're that serious about the the skills or lack there of by the writers? I'm sure there's a thread for that somewhere on Boards too ;)

That might be okay to do in After Hours, this is the Television forum where critical debate is allowed.

no i think people genuinely enjoyed it...

That's fine, I did too, I enjoyed a lot of stuff on TV, Film and Stage, doesn't mean I can't see the flaws.

That's fine, I did too, I enjoyed a lot of stuff on TV, Film and Stage, doesn't mean I can't see the flaws.
    there is flaws in everything

• Advertisement

there is flaws in everything

...and we are not precluded from talking about them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement