Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I think Git was inspired by a criminal whose services were required by the IRA, in other words he was criminal first, IRA second. There is such a person in the news at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

D-FENS wrote: »
    I think you’re asking for a lot of depth to be given to a one episode, bit part character. I think his screen time served its purpose.
    If you’re stating they should have kept him in the show for longer and then developed his character more, that’s fair enough, but personally I think it was a brave move introducing a new “boss” than killing him off just as quick, leaving the story to concentrate on the affect his death would have on the other characters. I actually thought they should have done this in season one with John Boy, I thought Aidan Gillan was just as miscast as Robert Sheenan and having Brian Gleeson’s character survive him as boss, if only for a while, would have been very interesting.

And I actually thought they worked his demise well considering they were going down the route of the knee-capping having repercussions, but he was then killed over something unexpected (Or unexpected until he went for that pi$$). As someone said, it was very like the movie irreversible but even shows like the Sopranos and Breaking Bad are “inspired” by films like the Godfather

I won’t defend the show too much in comparison to Breaking Bad, there is no comparison. BB has brought drama to the extreme, at times to the point of being far-fetched, but it works because of the original story, exceptional writing, brilliant acting and the fact Vince Gilligan has never said it’s meant to be an accurate mirror to life.

Now if Love/Hate tried to be that type of show, success or failure would certainly ensure entertainment one way of the other, but it’s not that type of show, but again we should be grateful we’ve moved on from crawling to walking in terms of Irish drama.

Writing takes time and doesn't sap financial resources to any huge extent. You just have to care about it and foster it if you are the commissioners.
    I am not saying it should be compared literally with BB, but there is no real reason why it couldn't have aspired to the same quality of writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Happyman42 wrote: »
    I think they missed an oppurtunity to make this a great series, with memorable characters.
    By introducing a by now, tired stock archtype, they have gone down the road of predictability. I knew and I am positive that most knew that Git was gonna explode at some stage on the pub crawl, I knew that as soon as he followed the girl out that an altercation would take place. You could have ended up with the same denouement in a much more interesting and profound way.
    What they could have done and the series would not have suffered one bit was create a more complex and nuanced character whose actions and reactions are not predictable. Look at the support characters in the other series we are talking about, original and interesting to a man and a woman. That's the writing quality that lifts them above the norm and the mediocre.
    A good commissioning editor would have sent them back to the word processor because a good editor should spot a lazy stereotype a mile off.

The show has only 6 episodes though so it is unable to go into minute character detail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Writing takes time and doesn't sap financial resources to any huge extent. You just have to care about it and foster it if you are the commissioners.
    I am not saying it should be compared literally with BB, but there is no real reason why it couldn't have aspired to the same quality of writing.

Perhaps Happyman would care to post some links to examples of his own writing or editing works, so we can see examples of the high standards that he expects of others?

RainyDay wrote: »
    Perhaps Happyman would care to post some links to examples of his own writing or editing works, so we can see examples of the high standards that he expects of others?

Is it just this series you would like to proscribe criticism off or all TV and Film content? :rolleyes:

I have btw published stuff and have benefited greatly from feedback and constructive crits. There is no end to the learning curve in writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

If we compared every TV show to Breaking Bad or The Sopranos, we'd have empty TV schedules. They're great exceptions and long may shows in that league continue to appear. What is true is that Love/Hate is a hell of lot better than X Factor / I'm A Celeb or 90% of RTE's output to date. The last time I remember RTE broadcasting something better than Love/Hate it was Strumpet City.

Float shows age...leaves quietly.

Is it just this series you would like to proscribe criticism off or all TV and Film content? :rolleyes:

I have btw published stuff and have benefited greatly from feedback and constructive crits. There is no end to the learning curve in writing.
    have you published anything to do with aging Dublin IRA members?

I'll take that as a 'no' then to the invitation to post some examples of your own high standards. No-one suggested stopping fair criticism, but some context would be helpful.

I'll take that as a 'no' then to the invitation to post some examples of your own high standards. No-one suggested stopping fair criticism, but some context would be helpful.

What would it prove in the context of appraising this show? That I'm a better or worse writer? So what? Don't be silly.

What would it prove in the context of appraising this show? That I'm a better or worse writer? So what? Don't be silly.
    yeah

• Advertisement

yeah

and then what?

It would prove whether you're all BS, trolling for an arguement. Or not. But most likely yes.

It would prove whether you're all BS, trolling for an arguement. Or not. But most likely yes.

So only other writers can have a critical opinion? Interesting concept. :rolleyes:

and then what?
    then we can all learn from our mistakes and be better people/writers

So only other writers can have a critical opinion? Interesting concept. :rolleyes:

And there's that oul 'trolling for an argument' again. I'll leave you to it.

then we can all learn from our mistakes and be better people/writers

So you can't take on board my criticism without me proving I am a better writer? Extraordinary. :eek:

So you can't take on board my criticism without me proving I am a better writer? Extraordinary. :eek:
    you still haven't told us what an aging Dublin IRA/Criminal looks like

you still haven't told us what an aging Dublin IRA/Criminal looks like

Like everybody else of his/her demographic. Should he/she have horns? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

I'm just glad rolling eyes smileys are not in published works!

Anyway, roll on Sunday night yeah / Ep. 2!

D-FENS wrote: »
    I'm just glad rolling eyes smileys are not in published works!

Anyway, roll on Sunday night yeah / Ep. 2!
    can't wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

I think happyman wants the poetic wild eyed romantic stereotype IRA man . Like the fella in the crying game .

A Padriag Pierce type, laconic and poetic, willing to shed the blood of others for Ireland.

I think love/hate got it right, a criminal with aspirations of IRAishness.

stoneill wrote: »
    A Padriag Pierce type, laconic and poetic, willing to shed the blood of others for Ireland.

I think love/hate got it right, a criminal with aspirations of IRAishness.

Don't you think the British and indeed the Irish authorities would have had it much easier if IRA men and women where so easily identified and such handy archtypes? :rolleyes:;)

Your cozy expectations are being pandered to and exploited and you don't realise it! Which isn't the function of drama that calls it self serious. Lazy and easy writing imo and I fear (in fact I know) Git's son will continue in the same vein. Get the whiskey out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Happyman I think you need to get laid.

We're all enjoying love/hate can you not just accept that?

We know it has its flaws but can look past them for the sake of enjoying it as a portrayal of that life. I agree with others, I think they got the git's character spot on, these dissidents are not republicans fighting for a "cause", they are low life scumbags just like the dealers they extort their money from.

Don't you think the British and indeed the Irish authorities would have had it much easier if IRA men and women where so easily identified and such handy archtypes? :rolleyes:;)

Your cozy expectations are being pandered to and exploited and you don't realise it! Which isn't the function of drama that calls it self serious. Lazy and easy writing imo and I fear (in fact I know) Git's son will continue in the same vein. Get the whiskey out.
    they are easily identified...they've locked up 20 of them in the last two months.... even the ones that aren't locked up are pictured in the papers regularly....you're thinking of mossad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Seen bits of L/H on and off over the years - watched the first full epiosde last week more for the opportunity to have a laugh and go what a twat etc. but in all fairness it was not half bad, I still think it is on the edge of being a flat out comedy but it is a good watch and I know Dublin so like to see it on screen etc.

Thumbs up from me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,928 ✭✭✭✭listermint

they are easily identified...they've locked up 20 of them in the last two months.... even the ones that aren't locked up are pictured in the papers regularly....you're thinking of mossad.

:D

Ash, if you think the leaders of the IRA or the Real IRA behave like Git...don't take up a job in the security forces, it will end in tears! ;)

To the others - I watch the series, I too find it ok, as I have said a few times now, it is an improvement on previous output, what I can't understand though (well, I do actually) is the protective 'we know it has flaws but it's cool' defence on this thread. I'll leave you all for now, to your reverence of cliches, with my critical faculties intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,928 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ash, if you think the leaders of the IRA or the Real IRA behave like Git...don't take up a job in the security forces, it will end in tears! ;)

To the others - I watch the series, I too find it ok, as I have said a few times now, it is an improvement on previous output, what I can't understand though (well, I do actually) is the protective 'we know it has flaws but it's cool' defence on this thread. I'll leave you all for now, to your reverence of cliches, with my critical faculties intact.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I think Git was inspired by a criminal whose services were required by the IRA, in other words he was criminal first, IRA second. There is such a person in the news at the minute.

Actually if you listened to the writer of the shows interview lately he said the IRA story is based around Jim curran and Bernard Dempsey,you should look it up before making assumptions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I think you are confused about dramatic licence and veracity.

I'm really not.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement