Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,609 ✭✭✭stoneill

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Don't you think the British and indeed the Irish authorities would have had it much easier if IRA men and women where so easily identified and such handy archtypes? :rolleyes:;)

Your cozy expectations are being pandered to and exploited and you don't realise it! Which isn't the function of drama that calls it self serious. Lazy and easy writing imo and I fear (in fact I know) Git's son will continue in the same vein. Get the whiskey out.

I don't have any expectations, cozy or otherwise. I let the show flow, watch it for entertainment.
    Would you have have a suggestion for a high brow example for me to compare it to?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭brian_t

I don't know about anyone else but when I saw the pigeons in his back garden I immediately thought of Martin Cahill (The General).

Maybe the lads will end up killing them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭BlackRoom

caspa307 wrote: »
    thank god and thank you,

i started watching season 1 on friday when my cousin gave me the first two seasons, i stayed up till around half 2ish i think, then saturday i watched the second season for the day and i just thought this is easily one the best shows on tv, now the third season and im on the same as everyone else :P.

anyway on to my point, i think its such a shame that its on rte only, (as in in ireland) this would be huge if they could get the bbc to broadcast it IMO its easily one of the best shows rte have produced, its a shame people that dont live in ireland probably wont ever get to see it

ITV have bought the rights to it. Not sure if they have shown it in the UK but i watched season 1 and 2 over here on ITV asia and when season 2 ended, they showed season 1 all over again. Will probably a be a while before they broadcast season 3 though.

Brilliant series by the way. Season one was muck but has really improved since then. Nidge is a great character, brilliantly acted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

brian_t wrote: »
    I don't know about anyone else but when I saw the pigeons in his back garden I immediately thought of Martin Cahill (The General).

Maybe the lads will end up killing them all.

I thought of jack duckworth

• Registered Users Posts: 8 phrage

the accents are utter rubbish. they sounds like nice middle class boys failing to master inner city and working class accents which, of course, is what they are.

low quality scripts, poor camerawork, and an overall lack of focus mean i will be unlikely to watch again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

phrage wrote: »
    low quality scripts, poor camerawork, and an overall lack of focus mean i will be unlikely to watch again

Liam Fay ain't got nuthin' on you bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I'm going to record the rest of them & watch it all in one go when it's done

this waiting for a week craic is no good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

IMO the only thing missing from the series is the tough detectives on the Gangs trails,You know the one,s who take no crap from anyone.They do exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I know there are one or two flaws with Love/Hate but I prefer to overlook these as I was gripped by the first episode last week. It just gets better, in my opinion. I've never been much of a fan of RTE dramas, but this is the best they've ever done. I mean, what would you prefer to watch on a Sunday night? Yawn-fests like The Clinic and RAW, or edge of the seat stuff like Love/Hate?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,005 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

"Who wants to f**k a leprechaun? " brilliant line!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Cardex

Just watched the repeat. It's been said before but Tom Lawlor Vaughan steals the show. He's quality. He'll be huge if he wants to be.

It's shot beautifully in parts. There's a scene where there's a side profile of Nidge as he sits in the cafe opposite Git with both of them in the foreground and then the shot, without moving, brings Darren into focus through the window resting on the car outside. It's poignant and just perfectly timed.

The dialogue jars a little bit in places (cos of weaker actors, not sure Daniel is gonna work out) but otherwise it's pretty compelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

batistuta9 wrote: »
    I'm going to record the rest of them & watch it all in one go when it's done. this waiting for a week craic is no good

Why not burn them all to a DVD, write "Love/Hate Series III Box Set" on it with marker, and stick it under the tree for yourself for Christmas.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Just caught up on S3E1 episode tonight - enjoyed it, top notch stuff.
    Bits were very Tarantino-esque, especially Nidge and Darren continuing their conversation whilst Git was going through his death gurgles in front of them.
    Some prosaic scenes of Darren and Nidge cleaning the beer cellar with bleach and scrubbing brushes would have been good.

I always find peoples fixations with the at times dodgy accents to be weird - I often wonder is there a Baltimore message board where extreme nitpicking posters complain about DiAngeloBarksdale supposedly being from Westside Baltimore when clearly his accent is 3 miles away in Northside coastal Baltimore and how the entire show is completely spoiled for them as a result.

Also I liked the touch at the end with Gits wife looking out the window and the realisation dawning on her that this time her husband wasn't coming home - its a device they used in an earlier season to similar effect. No matter how much of an absolute bastard the dead person is, theres a mother or brother or daughter out there whose life is going to be shattered beyond belief when their beloved is gone.

Just caught up on S3E1 episode tonight - enjoyed it, top notch stuff.
    Bits were very Tarantino-esque, especially Nidge and Darren continuing their conversation whilst Git was going through his death gurgles in front of them.
    Some prosaic scenes of Darren and Nidge cleaning the beer cellar with bleach and scrubbing brushes would have been good.

I always find peoples fixations with the at times dodgy accents to be weird - I often wonder is there a Baltimore message board where extreme nitpicking posters complain about DiAngeloBarksdale supposedly being from Westside Baltimore when clearly his accent is 3 miles away in Northside coastal Baltimore and how the entire show is completely spoiled for them as a result.

Also I liked the touch at the end with Gits wife looking out the window and the realisation dawning on her that this time her husband wasn't coming home - its a device they used in an earlier season to similar effect. No matter how much of an absolute bastard the dead person is, theres a mother or brother or daughter out there whose life is going to be shattered beyond belief when their beloved is gone.

Very true. Cant understand why some women get involved with these lunatics though. Of course some women are as big a driving force behind gangsters as it provides their lifestyle but there are women out there and while they want no involvement in gangland itself they still manage to get involved with nutters.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

actually there was a bit where i was thinking "what if the wife was more hardcore than git ?"

be a twist if she was fairly high up too. a power behind the throne thing if you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

be a twist if she was fairly high up too. a power behind the throne thing if you will.

Show could be a 'Game of Thrones' if you will

bitchplease_thumb.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Jumboman

They could do with more swearing in love/hate. I'm sure real life gangsters swear a lot more than the guys in love hate. They have not even used the "c word" once. If this was a danny dyer film every second word would either be F**k or c**t. I know a taxidriver who cant string a sentence together without saying the f word atleast once. The gangsters in this show are far too well spoken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭Justin10

Jumboman wrote: »
    They could do with more swearing in love/hate. I'm sure real life gangsters swear a lot more than the guys in love hate. They have not even used the "c word" once. If this was a danny dyer film every second word would either be F**k or c**t. I know a taxi who cant string a sentence together without saying the f word atleast once. The gangsters in this show are far too well spoken.

You are using a Danny Dyer film as a guide line for a good gangster film? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

If we compared every TV show to Breaking Bad or The Sopranos, we'd have empty TV schedules. They're great exceptions and long may shows in that league continue to appear. What is true is that Love/Hate is a hell of lot better than X Factor / I'm A Celeb or 90% of RTE's output to date. The last time I remember RTE broadcasting something better than Love/Hate it was Strumpet City.

Float shows age...leaves quietly.
    I thought that pure mule was pretty good for its time. Captured a scene in a typical Celtic tiger era small town and did it well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Have been stuck indoors all weekend with a cold so I watched seasons 1 and 2 and the first episode of season 3. Have to say that overall I'm pretty impressed. Episode 1 of season 3 was the best so far, a lot darker than its predecessors.

I think Aidan Gillan was completley miscast, he's just too suave for his role. Robert Sheehan is starting to grow into his. Brian Gleeson was excellent in season 1 and Tom Vaughan Lawlor is just fantastic.

With regard to the general criticim about accents and casting I'm presuming that RTE were trying to play it safe by wanting some well known names and pretty faces to draw in the viewers. By the same token having everyone speak in full on Dublinese would be too inpenetrable for most people.

In my opinion this is probably the best drama RTE have produced since Roddy Doyle's 'Family' in the mid 90's. The fact that it has been getting very high viewer numbers and the show is good enough to sell on to non-Irish TV stations hopefully might mean RTE see the worth in taking a risk when commisioning new drama in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,171 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Why not burn them all to a DVD, write "Love/Hate Series III Box Set" on it with marker, and stick it under the tree for yourself for Christmas.. :D

Don't have a DVD recorder so I'll probably just get myself a card and write in it "check the planner on sky for Love/Hate series 3. Merry Xmas" :pac:

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Have been stuck indoors all weekend with a cold so I watched seasons 1 and 2 and the first episode of season 3. Have to say that overall I'm pretty impressed. Episode 1 of season 3 was the best so far, a lot darker than its predecessors.

I think Aidan Gillan was completley miscast, he's just too suave for his role. Robert Sheehan is starting to grow into his. Brian Gleeson was excellent in season 1 and Tom Vaughan Lawlor is just fantastic.

With regard to the general criticim about accents and casting I'm presuming that RTE were trying to play it safe by wanting some well known names and pretty faces to draw in the viewers. By the same token having everyone speak in full on Dublinese would be too inpenetrable for most people.

In my opinion this is probably the best drama RTE have produced since Roddy Doyle's 'Family' in the mid 90's. The fact that it has been getting very high viewer numbers and the show is good enough to sell on to non-Irish TV stations hopefully might mean RTE see the worth in taking a risk when commisioning new drama in future.

I disagree regarding Gillen. I think you may be psychologically typecasting him. I felt he suited the role well and portrays a real evil villain. He convinced me of being a complete paranoid pyscho certainly the last series but it did admittedly take time to explore John Boy's character more. John Boy was dangerous and powerful but of course cowardly because he wanted others to complete his dirty work. The mural on his wall is very ironic. You have historical characters portraying the last supper and Michael Collins is amongst them. A man who done so much to liberate Ireland from British rule and yet here he is almost idolised by someone who is everything Collins stood against.

Id imagine that a considerable amount of drug lords are farily suave characters like him and are almost chameleon-like. Dont forget Gillen grew up in Dublin on Clonliffe Road not far from where his swanky apartment was so he'd he does have the accent and dialogue tbf to him. His various roles may have typecast him but Gillen certainly broke the cycle and brought alot to the part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

I disagree regarding Gillen. I think you may be psychologically typecasting him. I felt he suited the role well and portrays a real evil villain. He convinced me of being a complete paranoid pyscho certainly the last series but it did admittedly take time to explore John Boy's character more. John Boy was dangerous and powerful but of course cowardly because he wanted others to complete his dirty work. The mural on his wall is very ironic. You have historical characters portraying the last supper and Michael Collins is amongst them. A man who done so much to liberate Ireland from British rule and yet here he is almost idolised by someone who is everything Collins stood against.

Id imagine that a considerable amount of drug lords are farily suave characters like him and are almost chameleon-like. Dont forget he grew up in Dublin on Clonliffe Road not far from where his swanky apartment was so he'd he does have the accent and dialogue tbf to him. His various roles may have typecast him but Gillen certainly broke the cycle and brought alot to the part.

Aidan Gillen is a damn fine actor. By calling him suave I meant stylish rather than charismatic. Your right, he is a bit typecast, he's at his best in roles where he is duplicitous (eg. Queer as Folk, Game of Thrones, The Wire). For me he just didn't have enough menace to be an evil drug baron kingpin type.

I thought the mural was a great idea, Biggie and Tupac with Michael Collins........nice! However, I did think it jarred a bit with the rather tasteful penthouse, model girlfriend and the nice clothes.

In fairness, this is just me nit-picking.

actually there was a bit where i was thinking "what if the wife was more hardcore than git ?"

Ha ha a sort of Mimi Maguire if you like :D Nah to be honest id say she is one of these gormless women who doesnt find it unusual that she has a cushy life in the leafy suburbs despite the fact her husband does very little with his time and disappears mysteriously and spontaneously for several hours. 'Ah my Git is a good man deep down' 'Who would do something so cruel as to take my wonderful hubby away from me'

Of course her darling sonny boy Dano (butter wouldnt melt) will use his 'resources' to get to the bottom of it for his dear old mammy. What a son. He didnt lick it off a stone :)

2 hours and 13 minutes to go. Rock on. Coola Boola :)

Gee Bag wrote: »
    Aidan Gillen is a damn fine actor. By calling him suave I meant stylish rather than charismatic. Your right, he is a bit typecast, he's at his best in roles where he is duplicitous (eg. Queer as Folk, Game of Thrones, The Wire). For me he just didn't have enough menace to be an evil drug baron kingpin type.

I thought the mural was a great idea, Biggie and Tupac with Michael Collins........nice! However, I did think it jarred a bit with the rather tasteful penthouse, model girlfriend and the nice clothes.

In fairness, this is just me nit-picking.

I suppose people have an idea of a Crime lord closer to Cahill, the Monk or Nidge, then John Boy if you like.

John Boy is probably closer to the idea of Gilligan given the fact that Gilligan owned an state of the art equestrian centre and mixed with a wide circle of wealthy and powerful people yet behind it all he was dangerous criminal who gained his power by the criminal empire he ran

There are some solicitors for example have no morals and would represent anything but in most cases you need a John Boy/Gilligan type personality who can present this affable being on top of the money and power they possess in order to gain influence so I do believe that sort of criminal exists.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 irishgrafter

Hey lads,

Was just following your thread there on love/hate and thought i'd chip in. I have to agree with tipp gunner that aiden gillen was parfect in this role, as there are some top men that are cast from this suave and sophisticated mould in criminal circles just as there are some that are psycos 24/7.

IrG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Coola Boola :)

I want to hit the tv when I hear that!

Great series though!

I want to hit the tv when I hear that!

Great series though!

I totally agree the saying itself is totally daft but the way Fran said it was hillarious. He came out with a few classics the same night. A pure psycho but great entertainment none the less .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

I totally agree the saying itself is totally daft but the way Fran said it was hillarious. He came out with a few classics the same night. A pure psycho but great entertainment none the less .

'You're alright Dazzler even if ya did kill me dog':pac:

• Advertisement

Blay wrote: »
    'You're alright Dazzler even if ya did kill me dog':pac:

Myself and a friend of mine were at a stag do there yesterday and we must have used Fran quotes on umpteen occasions. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement