Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

Happyman42 wrote: »
    That doesn't rationalise Dano's character though.

Dano is an unpredictable psychopath who is on edge due to the disappearance of his father and the feuding between the RA and the drugs gangs. He hit first and regrets later and that's why he apologised to Nidge last week as he knows had he done serious harm he may not have got the answers he was looking for.

His father isnt there to keep him on the straight and narrow and that is where the danger is. He is respected within the RA circles but only because of whose son he is.

Almost like Tadgh who was the Bull McCabes son in the play 'The Field', Dano is all brawn and no brains.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

That doesn't rationalise Dano's character though.

Perhaps you should send them your CV with a link to this thread. That'll show them, those crappy writers. Sort out those storylines!
    Your talent is wasted here man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

scopper wrote: »
    The IRA is the IRA. A whole organization filled with people who have or are willing to kill and a network to cover it up (drawing on decades of experience). Nidge is a fairly successful, but nonetheless low-level drug-dealer with access to a few guns and a couple of willing killers (for a price). Big difference between them.

As for Special Branch, they can't follow Dano forever. And they can be dropped. How do you think these things get done in real life? They happen and so the writing reflects that. It is you who has an unrealistic view on what happens out there.

So how many IRA men do you know who would regularly leave themselves prone and poleaxed in the company of those who may or may not (Dano suspects Nidge remember) have killed his father and have the potential to kill him?
    The character is screaming for some development, as so often with RTE commissioning, they create a character to appeal to a predjidice or a bias and that's as far as they will go. It's almost as if they believe, if they make him remotely human they think they are endorsing his activities.
    The series suffers in my opinion, it's as blatant as the bad guy in westerns wearing the black hat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

So how many IRA men do you know who would regularly leave themselves prone and poleaxed in the company of those who may or may not (Dano suspects Nidge remember) have killed his father and have the potential to kill him?
    The character is screaming for some development, as so often with RTE commissioning, they create a character to appeal to a predjidice or a bias and that's as far as they will go. It's almost as if they believe, if they make him remotely human they think they are endorsing his activities.
    The series suffers in my opinion, it's as blatant as the bad guy in westerns wearing the black hat.

IRA members are not perfect. They are human and are flawed. Good writing reveals this. You should never try your hand at writing. It would be awful.

The IRA lad?.. He's a bit much alright.. A few of us were watching tonights show and after a few gargles it went to see who could do the best Dano face :D

His acting is pretty dire tbh. But over all tonights show was better IMO than the more recent shows and I actually thought Sheehan was good for a change.

Best charactors in it (imo) are the lad who was shot in the leg and the little scanger chic who seems to be falling for Sheehan.

plus the girl playing Siobhan, stand out performance of the series, how to create a multi faceted character in just a few scenes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

/facepalm

I might be taking liberties here, but I think I speak for everyone when I say...we don't give two sh1ts about writing or character development..at least on the obsessive level you clearly do...we're here for the whole experience not how character X is written or how scene Y was shot. This crap ruined a perfectly good thread that had survived for 2 seasons before you came along, so if you could kindly take your expert knowledge on writing and show it off to people who care I think we would all be eternally happy.

Dano is an unpredictable psychopath who is on edge due to the disappearance of his father and the feuding between the RA and the drugs gangs. He hit first and regrets later and that's why he apologised to Nidge last week as he knows had he done serious harm he may not have got the answers he was looking for.

His father isnt there to keep him on the straight and narrow and that is where the danger is. He is respected within the RA circles but only because of whose son he is.

Almost like Tadgh who was the Bull McCabes son in the play 'The Field', Dano is all brawn and no brains.

It will be interesting to see what developes with Sean McGinleys character.
    Heavy drinkers are and never where tolerated in subversive organisations because they are a weakness. Somebody of Dano's profile would not have gone unnoticed higher up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

plus the girl playing Siobhan, stand out performance of the series, how to create a multi faceted character in just a few scenes.

Charlie Murphy. She's excellent. She was in a play with a friend of mine a couple of years back. Played a fifty-year-old nun. Very good then.

Was on Misfits tonight too. Definitely one of the best actors. (And her accent is spot-on too.)

I only started watching Love/Hate this season. It has many, many flaws but it's damn entertaining, and rather good for Irish telly.

IsMiseLisa wrote: »
    Charlie Murphy. She's excellent. She was in a play with a friend of mine a couple of years back. Played a fifty-year-old nun. Very good then.

Was on Misfits tonight too. Definitely one of the best actors. (And her accent is spot-on too.)

I only started watching Love/Hate this season. It has many, many flaws but it's damn entertaining, and rather good for Irish telly.

Definately one to watch, does she do much stage work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Couldn't believe how much of Trish they showed tonight. Close up too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

Let's all sit down on a Sunday night and watch this crime/drama called "Love/Hate" and really try our best to pick holes in it. I'm not interested in kicking back and actually using my imagination...oh no. I'm not going to enjoy it. No way. I'm going to examine it...take it literally and find fault...That's what tv is all about isn't it?

Ok, next....Goodfellas...jaysus, what a load of crap! Did you see that guy doing the wig commercial. That's very bad script writing right there if you ask me...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Just finished watching series 2.
    Are the rest gone already from RTÉ player?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Barry Barry

Scene of darren almost getting shot by the lad on the bike was appalling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

Definately one to watch, does she do much stage work?

From what I know of her, she started out in the local youth theatre, and worked her way up to TV. I *think* she focusses on TV now, though I'm not sure.

I *think* she focusses on TV now, though I'm not sure.

I can see why...the camera loves her.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

From what I know of her, she started out in the local youth theatre, and worked her way up to TV. I *think* she focusses on TV now, though I'm not sure.

Where is she from, Lisa?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Q_ueeny

Scene of darren almost getting shot by the lad on the bike was appalling

In what way was it appalling can you explains please?

Separate note..

Is it just me or do I not no the different between 'good TV' and 'bad'? When I'm watching L/H for example I don't notice Darren's tash there and gone, the different reg on Nidge's jeeps, Darren looking like he wants to laugh all the time ect... I'm just so into the storyline/scene I guess I don't notice these things. Am I not paying enought attention or are the people that see such things really nit picking/finding fault for the sake of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

I don't know how Tommy has lasted this long, the man is complete fool.

Zero brains and offers nothing, a complete liability. I can see him getting clipped fairly soon.

Zero brains and offers nothing, a complete liability. I can see him getting clipped fairly soon.

I agree , he hasent really brought anything to this series yet. He was/is not even that involved in the rape storyline much which is surprising. In season 2 he fecked up when he was ordered to clip Fran too!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Bit of a turn up for the books to see Tommy slipping a length to Dano's missus when everyone thought it was going to be Nidge. Presumably that is going to play into the story somewhere down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

But he's the grey man too.. Just fades into the background and goes un-noticed mostly, he might rise to the top yet.

Someone mentioned the lad on the bike being appauling.

Apart from Sheehan not killing him I thought it was accurate enough tbh.. Sheehan is a seasoned killer at this stage so he should have tapped a few into the lad.

And why in hell is he letting Elmo off so often, kill the crying little fool ffs.

Q_ueeny wrote: »

Separate note..

Is it just me or do I not no the different between 'good TV' and 'bad'? When I'm watching L/H for example I don't notice Darren's tash there and gone, the different reg on Nidge's jeeps, Darren looking like he wants to laugh all the time ect... I'm just so into the storyline/scene I guess I don't notice these things. Am I not paying enought attention or are the people that see such things really nit picking/finding fault for the sake of it.

That's very interesting, a few slips are permissable, almost every production is constrained by budget, but there is a sloppiness across all depts in this series which is sad. It could so easily have been much more powerful and better without needing huge bucks. All that was needed was the will and maybe some more incubation time.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭meath12

does anyone know will there be a series 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Q_ueeny wrote: »

Separate note..

I notice these things but honestly don't give a crap. TV is full of continuity errors but it doesn't mean something is a bad show. Id rather they rack up the drama rather than be meticulous on the details.
    I never noticed Darran wanting to laugh though!

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭JayzuzHowiye

meath12 wrote: »
    does anyone know will there be a series 4?

Personally I hope not, I find it to be deteriorating after each episode, turning more soap opera than gripping drama.

Personally I hope not, I find it to be deteriorating after each episode, turning more soap opera than gripping drama.

It says on the RTE site not so long ago there will be a season 4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

But he's the grey man too.. Just fades into the background and goes un-noticed mostly, he might rise to the top yet.

Someone mentioned the lad on the bike being appauling.

Apart from Sheehan not killing him I thought it was accurate enough tbh.. Sheehan is a seasoned killer at this stage so he should have tapped a few into the lad.

And why in hell is he letting Elmo off so often, kill the crying little fool ffs.

I don't think Tommy has the sense to rise to the top. It's been proven in all 3 seasons that he's a liability.

I can see why Darren left the kid go but i can't understand why he left Elmo go, it just doesn't make sense. It's clear Elmo ratted so why not kill him? As you said he's a seasoned killer now.

Rasmus wrote: »

I notice these things but honestly don't give a crap. TV is full of continuity errors but it doesn't mean something is a bad show. Id rather they rack up the drama rather than be meticulous on the details.
    I never noticed Darran wanting to laugh though!

I didn't either but on the other L/H thread I did see a few mention it when he was telling Nidge Ado got kneecapped by the RA.

I agree with having a serious drama rather then getting every single thing down to a tee. I'd take it as is anyday.

It will be interesting to see what developes with Sean McGinleys character.
    Heavy drinkers are and never where tolerated in subversive organisations because they are a weakness. Somebody of Dano's profile would not have gone unnoticed higher up

TBF there was bits in the first episode where Git gave out to Dano and told him to calm down on the drink. He is trying to keep him in line and prevent his weakness from being exposed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

I find it bewildering as the series develops what they are doing with Dano. He is just there as his father was as a stereotype and they will do what they want with him. That is neither credible or good writing. One minute he is being closely hounded by special branch yet can go take delivery of boxes marked RPG and drive them unfettered to a hiding place, the next minute he is lying poleaxed and prone with what we are told is a serious alcohol problem. How threatening could somebody like that be to somebody like Nidge?
    He is a ridiculous character if you think about it.

because he's pretty much the leader of the Real IRA in Dublin.
    Someone like that is threatening to anyone.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement