Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love/Hate [** Spoilers **]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

A V A wrote: »
    ehhh wasnt filmed in d4!!!!!!!!! it was filmed in an estate called castlefield out in blachardstown was filmed last year i remember walking past people filming and i know the neighbors next door to the house :)

I thought that too. I thought it was funny though because in the set up scene before it, there was like an overhead shot of a big estate with the Dublin mountains right behind them. Then it goes to him sitting in his car in the middle of Blanchardstown.
    I guess it's supposed to be set on the South side somewhere, but a lot of it was filmed elsewhere.
    I noticed as well when Nigel was driving the van away from the docks, he was on the Navan road at Castleknock, heading into town:)

I know the locations aren't important but it is quite funny when they drive around a corner and are suddenly all the way across the city:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I noticed as well when Nigel was driving the van away from the docks, he was on the Navan road at Castleknock, heading into town:)
    In fairness how many nackers / skangers / gangland killers are going to be called: Nigel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭The Highwayman

Did you see 'The Snapper'? Going to the hospital? They went all over Dublin
    Still a good movie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

The scenes are all too flashy. I think they would have been better off having long tense scences, build the tensions and allowed the characters to develope a bit more.
    Lack of confidence from the filmmakers :D

In fairness how many nackers / skangers / gangland killers are going to be called: Nigel?

I don't see how Nigel is any less likely or believable than George or Gerard as names for a gangster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Actors: 2 / 10
    Screenplay: 2 / 10
    Script: 3 / 10
    Editing: 4 / 10

So are you giving the script/Screenplay 5/10 or 2.5 on average. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Just watched the first two episodes on RTE Player - really impressed. The acting is great and the script is good - can't wait for the next episode.

Well done to all involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭scopper

I just wanted to say a word on the criticisms about how some of the actors don't seem like gangland figures. Sad to say but a lot of fairly decent chaps end up in gangs and often do end up in top positions (a little education goes far in these circles). The main boss in a lot of these gangs will be the above average intelligent guy (relative to his crew). As for the main guy...too good looking? For sure, but good lucking guys do end up in crime.

Having grown up in an area with one of the 'Sunday World' gangs they are a mixed bunch. Some are posh! Some even dress well. Most are ugly, walk across the road to avoid scummers. But you get all types involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

91011 wrote: »
    Its fiction! - Its not a travel programme.
    By this thinking, Braveheart got it all wrong as it was filimed in Ireland when it was telling you a scottish story!

The fact that you know the locations has nothing whatsover to do with the programme as the locations are in theory totally fictitious.

I think it's the setting is fairly important, like the accents or even the slang used, it gives it more autheticity, more believability and puts it in context with what people read most days about 'gangland' activities.I think of it in a similar way to their clothes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

KeanSeenan wrote: »
    I think it's the setting is fairly important, like the accents or even the slang used, it gives it more autheticity, more believability and puts it in context with what people read most days about 'gangland' activities.I think of it in a similar way to their clothes.
    What do you think gangland villains dress like ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭KeanSeenan

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    What do you think gangland villains dress like ?

I meant in general, the importance of character's clothes, but as you've asked, I'd say it differs based on rank, it may lean towards leather jackets, particularly with older ones, whatever is 'stylish' towards to the younger ones that have the money to try to show off.That'd be a guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

I met someone involved with the product yesterday - they said watch for nice blood & guts tonight!!

Also second series looks set to be commissioned.

As for how guys dress - have you ever seen John Gilligan the infamous druglord who's in portlaoise prison? - You'd mistake him for a mercant banker with the clobber he used to wear.

So Blanch is good enough for them to swim in, but not to do their shopping!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

More violence and riding, all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Cool Running

Great episode tonight!!

Really sets it up for next week. Yer man Gleeson is some screw up! Just like in every crime drama he's closely related to the boss leading to a tough dilemma for the boss.

Captured something similar to the Sopranos family side with them all in the swimming pool.

As regards some posters views that the lads dont look and sound the part I think Darren(the main lad whos brother was killed) is the only one who looks out of place. I reckon the others play the part well.

Should be good next week

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭bigbrotherfan

Having watched tonight's episode, I'm not sure what to think. I think I was more impressed last week but it's still a good series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

To be honest I think it's pretty poor. Seriously bad casting for a start.The acting is mixed. The guy who plays Nigel is good but Aiden Gillen is terrible.Gleeson is good but the main character, Darren is dreadful. A constantly pained expression is the only expression he has.
    I shudder to think how much this has cost. But there you go. It's all subjective really. I won't be surprised if it gets a nother series as the critics seem to like it.Then again it's a small pond.

I can't figure out if yer man that plays Nigel is actually from Dublin or not? Sometimes he sounds fine, but then sometimes it sounds like he's exaggerating it a bit.
    The fellah that they shot in front of his missus had the most realistic Dublin accent so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

laugh wrote: »
    More violence and riding, all good.

Hey - there's more to - well actually, you're right. :D

not too bad. bit strange - the guy coming back from london was all super hard on the phone last wk - this wk a wimp . bad direction there.

Overall watchable tonight. Gleeson's son pretty good, but again the direction should have pulled him back a small bit here and there.

main guy is a good actor though, but so far has yet to be given an opp to shine.

It's true the scenes are short and a bit of flashyness exists, but that's the way they went, so be it.
    If it goes to second series they might have more opportunity for longer imaginative storylines.

(PS. These comments are copyrighted and subject to usage licensing fee.;))

To be honest I think it's pretty poor. Seriously bad casting for a start.The acting is mixed. The guy who plays Nigel is good but Aiden Gillen is terrible.Gleeson is good but the main character, Darren is dreadful. A constantly pained expression is the only expression he has.
    I shudder to think how much this has cost. But there you go. It's all subjective really. I won't be surprised if it gets a nother series as the critics seem to like it.Then again it's a small pond.

If Nigel is the guy getting married, he's streets ahead of the others at least in this role. Aiden is wasted here- reckon it was a BIG NAME casting decision, but will wait til nx wk to decide fully.
    do the critics like it? elmo gave some links at the start but mixed as far as i remember.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭rob88

the critical reviews have been terrible

best episode so far tonight.. the series is 75% over though.. a bit late for anything to actually start happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭ianrush

Okay so I gave this series three episodes before judging it, but now I reckon it is safe to say that it is a empty headed, witless piece of nothing tv. What is the point of this drama? It has a hackneyed love story tacked on to a bunch of uninteresting characters and we are supposed to find all of this interesting because, shock, there's some violence and drug taking. I've heard that this series was recommissioned for a second season by Jane Gogan before the first episode was even shown which just seems ridiculous now, but not surprising given her connection to the writer through Dunphy. It's all well shot, but very little else, which sums up a lot of the RTE drama output.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

ianrush wrote: »
    Okay so I gave this series three episodes before judging it, but now I reckon it is safe to say that it is a empty headed, witless piece of nothing tv. What is the point of this drama? It has a hackneyed love story tacked on to a bunch of uninteresting characters and we are supposed to find all of this interesting because, shock, there's some violence and drug taking. I've heard that this series was recommissioned for a second season by Jane Gogan before the first episode was even shown which just seems ridiculous now, but not surprising given her connection to the writer through Dunphy. It's all well shot, but very little else, which sums up a lot of the RTE drama output.

Interesting about the Jane Gogan link. I had forgotten about that. When I said the reviews were favourable,I meant those i had heard on the radio. Oh and Liam Fay gave it a good review in the Sunday Times. However I think these reviews were based on a preview of the opening episode, which gave the impression that it was setting a scene etc. The thing is,there ain't much going on. Aiden Gillen saying the line "dead man walking" was hilarious.The more I think of it the less it has going for it. The dialogue is fairly crap and clichéed as well.But it's got a second series without the first episode even been seen. You've got to love this country. It's still all about who you know.

ianrush wrote: »

couldnt actually disagree with your comments. But... to me it's still a step up for Irish TV productions. Last thing they did worth watching was that 'suffering of the poor thing (called Providence or something) which was very good, but not exactly light entertainment...:D

to me, it's a opp for young actors to get good exposure in something other than Fairly ****ty or Lotto Is Great or similar bollix.

(as for the connections thing, if you're a young produced stage writer here (or the UK), the TV people are gonna get to know you, end of. )

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭spiderdan

better then the two before but tbh not very difficult. It's a really poor effort, Gillean's acting seems to getting worse! Mix between the Hills and Underbelly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Im loving RTEs attempt at gangland obviously not spot on but way better than Glenroe.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I won't be surprised if it gets a nother series as the critics seem to like it.Then again it's a small pond.

The critics haven't been that good to it, they mainly have suggested that it is fairly average.
    When I said the reviews were favourable,I meant those i had heard on the radio. Oh and Liam Fay gave it a good review in the Sunday Times.

I am surprised Liam Fay gave it a good review.
    best episode so far tonight.. the series is 75% over though.. a bit late for anything to actually start happening

Agreed. The 2 set up episodes, the first one about the characters and their relationships with each other and the 2nd about what they are supposed to do. I thought that the 3rd episode far better, a much better pace to it, but why only tell us of Hughie's dislike of Darren's brother now? I thought the scene with John Boy and Hughie was well done. Really the divisions that have now been set up need to be be set up in the first episode, in actual fact the series would have been better served without that first episode as the review in the Irish Time's said "We get it he's dead".
    Interesting about the Jane Gogan link.

As you both say its a small pond, but he is lucky he knows her since she really does not like Irish screenwriters, or it at least seems that way. Also the audience figures for the series so far have been excellent.

Im loving RTEs attempt at gangland obviously not spot on but way better than Glenroe.:)

Emm. I dunno.
    I thought Glenroe managed to capture the whole gangland thing pretty well myself.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Unfortunately it plays like and after hours special of fair city (like they do with hollyoaks)(apparently)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Cmon all the characters are unknowns, ok apart from a few. Most TV series whoever makes em take a few episodes to get going tis a shame RTE couldnt extend it (they are skint) and properly develop the show and the characters and it makes a nice change that young actors are getting a chance to show their talents.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement